• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fucked in the head do you have to be to stab a guy in the eye with a pen over a fucking seat at a comic-book panel? Presumably in front of hundreds of witnesses.

Medalion

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
This doesn't really add much but I am posting it for the irony value of the motivational poster:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21048
bradmiska.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
Wow. This is just freaky. Will be interested to learn what the fuck actually happened, surely there's no shortage of witnesses.
Yeah, but they're comic book fans so it's going to be an extremely dramatic account.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm curious if there will be any serious repercussions from this incident.

firehawk12 said:
Given the size of the con, I'm surprised more crazy shit hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, wasn't there talk about moving it to Anaheim?

ezekial45 said:
I'm curious if there will be any serious repercussions from this incident.
What can they really do? If the guy had gotten attacked with a bat'leth or something I could see them banning replica weapons maybe... but stabbed with a pen?

ezekial45

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
What can they really do? If the guy had gotten attacked with a bat'leth or something I could see them banning replica weapons maybe... but stabbed with a pen?
I'm just saying with all the effort that San Diego put in to keep this event there, this incident is just gonna make them look bad.

ezekial45 said:
I'm just saying with all the effort that San Diego put in to keep this event there, this incident is just gonna make them look bad.
I'm sure there will be over-reaction from some quarters but when you throw thousands of people together like this there's always going to be one or two idiots and there's nothing you can really do about it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Leaving the con now. My haul: a custom Dhalsim sketch from artist Long Vo of Udon. Autograph pics signed in person by Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch, Ted Dibiase & Virgil. Got a couple t-shirts and Buffy collectible cards for the gf and a friend. The thing I'm most proud of? An autographed pic of Billy Dee Williams. Had a 15 min conversation with the guy about how awesome he is. I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the greatness of Billy Dee.

ezekial45 said:
How so? This is the first time I've heard like this happen at the con. One black eye shouldn't be a factor on whether or not the con should have been hosted somewhere else.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Get your exclusive "I went to Comic-Con 2010 and got stabbed in the eye over a seat!" t-shirts here!

Edit: Oh yeah, there any youtube links of cool panels yet? Any awesome panels I should keep an eye out for?

Eggo said:
Leaving the con now. My haul: a custom Dhalsim sketch from artist Long Vo of Udon. Autograph pics signed in person by Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch, Ted Dibiase & Virgil. Got a couple t-shirts and Buffy collectible cards for the gf and a friend. The thing I'm most proud of? An autographed pic of Billy Dee Williams. Had a 15 min conversation with the guy about how awesome he is. I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates the greatness of Billy Dee.

virgil-wrestling-superstar.jpg

Here we go...

Teaser trailer for Captain America: The First Avenger is mainly newsreels from WWII, with FDR narrative, and it ends with a profile shot of Chris Evans in full Cap costume....and ends with the shield flying at the audience!

Johnston says the film is about telling Captain America's origin story.

Evans says "It's a little intimidating, a little daunting..hopefully Joe will send me in the right direction and I won't ruin the movie."

Evans says he started shooting just five days ago. "The suit is fantastic, and it's just...a thrill," he said.

Hugo Weaving is asked about how he envisioned playing the Red Skull.
He says he spent a lot of time listening to Werner Herzog and another German artist and synthesized the voices to create the voice of the Skull

Evans says he loves origin pieces, and he thinks its gives them a big advantage when trying to interlock stories like what Marvel is trying to do in building up to the Avengers.

Feige adds that the leaked image of Cap on the Internet recently didn't do justice to the look of the film. He also said the film will be entirely in the 1940s.

More footage shown next, just shot last week. Lots of footage of Hugo Weaving pre-skull face and... a cosmic cube?

Clip showed an unmasked Red Skull looting a tomb in a castle, which belongs to Odin. There's a nod to the Cosmic Cube, a staple of Cap comics.

The Skull then finds a hidden compartment, finds a box inside and opens it. An old man warns the Skull that man was not meant to see what's inside. "Exactly," answers the Skull.

With that, the Cap crew walks off and Thor director Kenneth Branagh comes onstage.

Both the Thor and Cap footage sounds great...can't wait to see.......!!!!!!

Branagh thanks the crowd for welcoming him to Comic Con, saying he's a comic-con virgin. He says he wasn't much of a comic book nerd growing up, but he loved Thor above all others.

Hemsworth says getting to figure out how to use Mjolnir was a challenge, because the hammer is such a character in the film. He talked about learning how to hold it, and how he would use it to hit people, and swing it around.

Portman talks about playing Jane Foster, a character who hasn't always been well defined in the comics. "I was really looking forward to play such a beloved character," she said, adding that "it was really exciting to play a scientist onscreen."

Denning is playing a character named Darcy, a protege of Jane Foster, "who doesn't really know anything."

Tom Hiddleston says playing the God of Mischief, Loki, was enjoyable and complex.

Gregg says the scene in IM2 where he finds Mjolnir in the desert, he was clueless about what was going on with it and asked Feige about it. He says feige was shocked. "No one told you? It's for THOR!"

3D footage shows Thor and Odin have a strained relationship, and the All-Father casts out his son to earth, hoping he learns to become worthy of his name, powers, and title. Sweeping shots of the Golden REalm of Asgard are shown, the Asgardians in battle gear, including Thor.

Thor is seen being interrogated by Gregg's S.H.I.E.L.D agent, about who he is, and where he comes from, and where he learned his fighting techniques.

At one point, Thor tells Portman, who found him in the desert after Odin banished him.. he tells her about his past and his powers...."your ancestors called it magic. You call it science. In my land, its one and the same."

In response to an audience question, Branagh says don't assume Don Blake won't be part of THOR in some fashion. He enjoys taking parts of the comic's history and interlocking them in surprising ways.

Sounds like Iron Man supporting character Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) will be present in Thor as well. The stuff about Mjolnir and Don Blake sounds particularly interesting.

Blader

Another pic of the Avengers cast:

avengers.jpg

From left to right:
Whedon, Hemsworth, Gregg, Scarlett, Renner, Evans, Jackson, Downey, Ruffalo

Blader5489 said:
Another pic of the Avengers cast:

avengers.jpg

From left to right:
Whedon, Hemsworth, Gregg, Scarlett, Renner, Evans, Jackson, Downey, Ruffalo
Whedon is surely now the ultimate emperor of the geek universe. I mean how much higher on the nerd ladder can you possibly go?

jett said:
So Thor's another retrofitted-done-in-post 3D movie? Just fucking film in 3D goddamnit.

Seriously I mean surely to god by now word has kind of spread that people do not like this, so I just cannot fathom why they're still doing it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Beowulf28 said:
Don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for him.
The fact he's been there for 5+ years must mean it makes him some money. I noticed this year he brought full Ted DiBiase too :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom