• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SanDisk's 1TB SD card has more storage than your laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I could put my entire music collection on this thing.

SanDisk has unveiled the biggest SD card in the world — a prototype card with an outrageous 1 terabyte of memory. The SDXC card is only a prototype at this point, with no details available on price or release date, but it's still an impressive milestone. As SanDisk owners Western Digital points out, it was only sixteen years ago that the company introduced its first 64 megabyte SD card, while two years ago they debuted the 512GB card, which was then the world's biggest Things have moved fast, though, and compared to the 64MB card, today's 1TB version offers 15,625 times more storage.

extreme-pro-1tb_right-angle_lr-100683375-large.0.jpg

Lock if old.

Tha Verge

SJRB

Gold Member
Amazing.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Sandisk USB 3.0 32gb memory drive, no bigger than my thumbnail. It's literally the port connector and a black edge. It's so small that when I plug it in I can barely get it out because there's almost nothing to grab. All that and the writing speed is insane because of the 3.0. And it cost me like 20 bucks.

It blew my mind, really.

KingBroly

Banned
fuck it, just freeze me and thaw me back out when the Google chip can be implanted into anyone.

I await the day we can backup our brains to a device so we can look stuff up in our brain at any time.

I have no idea how this would even be feasible but it sounds amazing to me

It's also going to kill Hard Drives. Maybe not Solid States, but bulky drives are gonna die. It's kinda amazing to think about.

It's been a long time coming, I'll be surprised if HDDs aren't into the phasing out period in four years, at least on the consumer side.

Remember lugging around external floppy drive in college. Damn time flies fast.

Best thing about memory is this is true, and that's great for everyone. Especially since flash memory is so resilient and reliable.

Also this. Fucking hate spinning drive of all kind. My flash memory from 2000 still works fine while my desktop HDDs keep failing one after another.

RocknRola

Amazing. The rate at which tech continues to evolve is remarkable. I mean, just going back 10 years in time (in terms of tech) feels super weird and constriced versus what we have now. Especially in ease of use, something that the further you go back the worse it gets.

I mean, hell, the 1st iPhone (while not the very first smartphone it was the one that set the trend) was launched in 2007. 2007 folks! Still less than 10 years ago! Crazy!

Also can't wait to fill my phone or the NX with this crazy amount of memory! Kinda wish the PS4Pro/Scorpio would incorporate a card reader (and the tech to allow it to serve as game storage space). Would make things a whole lot easier going forward.

$1000 Vita memory card?

Too bad I don't think any of the projects to try and make microSD work with Vita ever got off the ground. The Vita memory card slot is physically too small to fit microSD.

3500 dollars if we use the ratio vita cards-sd cards.
A 512GB SD Card from Sandisk is 350 dollars on Amazon. 1TB would be like 700 dollars.
A 64GB Vita card is 100 dollars when it's 20 dollars for a SD card from Sandisk.
5 times more expensive, so 1TB would be 3500 dollars :p

RocknRola

A 512GB SD Card from Sandisk is 350 dollars on Amazon. 1TB would be like 700 dollars.
A 64GB Vita card is 100 dollars when it's 20 dollars for a SD card from Sandisk.

So what you're saying is that Sony would only need to sell 10000 of those to pay for R&D? Sweet! Vita 2 incoming! :p

Nightbird

So youre saying that with the money of a potential 1TB Vita memory card i could buy a used Citroen, a 2DS with Game and a 32GB SD Card, and a KFC Bucket before and still have money left?

yes, i actually looked up all of this, and the total price was 3.129€

flohen95

But my laptop has the same amount of storage, not less
and it's not even a new laptop

In all seriousness though, it's amazing that something so little can old such a huge amount of data. Wonder where we will be in 10 years, considering the biggest available card 10 years ago was 4GB (even though the 1TB card is of course not actually available yet and just a prototype).

RocknRola

You and I both know it'd be awesome to read up on what our brain has retained and maybe see our dreams in 1080p!

It could also help fix stuff like brain damage, poor eyesight, etc.

1080p? What is this? 2013? :p Fauxk/4k @ 30-ish fps or bust! hehe

But yeah, 100 years from now humans have the potential to be "super" assuming biotech continues at the current pace or better and people have the money for it.

Tizoc

My old laptop from 2013/2014 had 2 TB storage on it divided into 4 HDDs.
My current laptop has 2 TB as well.

Now where them external HDD 4+ TB SSDs and MicroSDs at?

50000 times larger then my first 20MB hard disk in my amstrad 8086 ibm compatible back in 1990.
That still boggles my mind when I got back to think about that!

I feel like in the past years we have stagnated. It felt super crazy once CD's and DVD's became a thing. Then again it seemed like we had a huge jump when USB flash drives came onto the scene. Since then, I have felt stagnated.

Anyone know what the read-speed on these guys is? I wonder if you could get a handful going into an internal USB3 connector and stripe them together?

Man, Blu Ray really is becoming irrelevant. The reason I bring up blu ray is because I was hoping for writable blu ray drive to store files. Now, who needs blu ray when you can shove an SD card or USB drive into your PC or laptop and you're set.

Interesting, thanks for the link! Assuming it's the same, you'd need to stripe together about 6 of them to get similar speeds as an existing SSD connecting via SATA, though that would obviously give you 6TB and theoretically you could fit it in an enclosure not much bigger than a match box.

I guess the really interesting use for things this size are things like Raspberry Pi's and the like - tiny, embedded machines that can actually house a ton of storage. With the above idea, you could have something around the size of a fire alarm sitting on your wall somewhere, able to store 6TB of data and stream it to any other device in the house. All you'd need is a power cable. And, what's more, you could take it off the wall and take it to someone else's house and it'll fit in your pocket, including all that storage. Pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom