• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SanDisk annouced the biggest MicroSD card, a 400GB

eso76

I would like to travel back in time and show my 14 yo self that every videogame ever created up until then (and a few thousands that had yet to be released) for every system including arcades, fit a card the size of a thumbnail.

Actually, how reliable are these things these days ?

jelly

How come an SD card is fine for handhelds but doesn't apply to console storage. Is an SSD fundamentally different to a SD card? Constant read and writing the factor that doesn't work as well?

tkscz

Even things that aren't games can't escape this phrase :(

I mean, a big issue people had with the Switch was that they felt 256GBs of storage was not enough and that was the highest sized Micro SD card until right now. So yeah, for anyone who felt it wasn't enough, it's perfect for the switch.

i'd be interested to find where i can insert a HDD into a smart phone (yes not everyone lives in america and has unlimited data to listen to low quality and poor artist paying support streaming services) or in a digital camera

I mean, I know music, videos, apps and games take up a lot of space, but 400GB?!

It's pretty fucking insane how much data you can store on a card the size of a finger nail.

That's the first thing I thought of when reading the title.
microsd.png

Pretty freaky for someone who grew up with microcomputers that had 16 or 48 KB of memory.

Edit: It's also quite funny that the MicroSD in that (relatively recent) comic is 16 GB; quite a reminder of how quickly our perceptions of what is the "normal" baseline of technology changes.

How come an SD card is fine for handhelds but doesn't apply to console storage. Is an SSD fundamentally different to a SD card? Constant read and writing the factor that doesn't work as well?

Reading speed is the main problematic factor from what I remember. Abuse as buffer for video cache and such doesn't help but isn't the primary issue.

CazTGG

The issue with the 400GB card is going to be cost: It will likely cost most per GB than a 128 or 256 card so, outside of convenience or a need to lighten one's wallet, it's not a good investment. Just to illustrate this, let's view the 128 GB+ offerings on Amazon Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010Q57S62/
128 GB: Roughly 47c/GB
200 GB: Roughly 50c/GB
256 GB: Roughly 87c/GB

Bear in mind, this is the price per GB before applicable sales tax, so you'll be paying even more for the 256 GB card. Be it the Switch, GPD or Smach-Z (if the latter ever comes out), you should be fine with 128GB for the time being unless you:
A) Go all digital on the Switch
B) Download all of the games

Yes, it's impressive technology but it will not be worth its launch price.

EDIT: Just like I said: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RNRM2B/?tag=neogaf0e-20

R00bot

Hoping this will bring down the price of smaller capacities because I'd like a 32-64 gig card for my Switch.

Canklestank

Neo Member
The issue with the 400GB card is going to be cost: It will likely cost most per GB than a 128 or 256 card so, outside of convenience or a need to lighten one's wallet, it's not a good investment. Just to illustrate this, let's view the 128 GB+ offerings on Amazon Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010Q57S62/
128 GB: Roughly 47c/GB
200 GB: Roughly 50c/GB
256 GB: Roughly 87c/GB

Bear in mind, this is the price per GB before applicable sales tax, so you'll be paying even more for the 256 GB card. Be it the Switch, GPD or Smach-Z (if the latter ever comes out), you should be fine with 128GB for the time being unless you:
A) Go all digital on the Switch
B) Download all of the games

Yes, it's impressive technology but it will not be worth its launch price.

EDIT: Just like I said: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RNRM2B/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The price was already in the OP? It's not amazing, but it's 63c/GB.

EDIT: Missed that your prices were Canadian.

Buying $250 in memory for my $300 console seems like a hard sell.

I’ll try and stick with 64/128GB cards as long as possible

The Orz

Impressive. Though to be fair I'm still impressed by flash drives period. My first hard drive had 40 megabytes--upgrading to 80 at the time would have cost about as much as this card. :_:

Type_Raver

Good to see progress made in this area.

Sooner or later, we'll see more major 3rd party titles for switch and their file sizes will be quite a bit larger than the typical indie title.

EG: NBA2K18 will take up about 25GB.

fvng

This just angers me even more that Vita went proprietary memory card format. I would have paid more for a Vita that had standard SD card support

This just angers me even more that Vita went proprietary memory card format. I would have paid more for a Vita that had standard SD card support

Agreed. The damn prices for cards was the major reason I never picked one up. And probably won't for the immediate future.

I remember when blu-ray was first introduced, and I was sitting there thinking how great it would be when writable drives and discs become mass market.

Now, I'm like who-ray?

I just get a USB or flash cards and I'm all set. I don't even have to worry about buying a new drive or anything like that.

At this rate, just a matter of time until we see a 1TB micro SD card. That's what I am waiting for.

In the meantime, I started with a 128 GB card, and now I recently upgrade to a 256 GB card, so my Switch should be good for quite a while. Even being digital only, I still have a lot of space to spare.

Menome

Currently about to run out of space on my 128GB card in my MP3 player. Debating whether to grab a soon-to-be-cheaper 256GB card and continue with 320kbps files or take the plunge and upgrade to FLAC.

The thought of re-ripping about a thousand CDs fills me with trepidation though.

Currently about to run out of space on my 128GB card in my MP3 player. Debating whether to grab a soon-to-be-cheaper 256GB card and continue with 320kbps files or take the plunge and upgrade to FLAC.

The thought of re-ripping about a thousand CDs fills me with trepidation though.

Same here, I've only ripped about a 1/10 of my CD's. It's so time consuming. But worth it.

nynt9

Is it possible to transfer saves and game data between memory cards on switch? If I wanted to get one of these will I lose my existing stuff?

Menome

Same here, I've only ripped about a 1/10 of my CD's. It's so time consuming. But worth it.

By the time I've finished ripping them all, the 600GB model will probably be out and I can more reasonably afford the 400GB card.

I've just recently started working for Harman Audio, so I'm quite lucky in that I can get some good quality headphones at half-price to make it worthwhile.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll not be buying it but it's mind blowing how far technology has come. fitting 400GB into that small form factor is nuts.

I would like to travel back in time and show my 14 yo self that every videogame ever created up until then (and a few thousands that had yet to be released) for every system including arcades, fit a card the size of a thumbnail.

Actually, how reliable are these things these days ?

Time machines? Still working out some kinks. Wouldn't recommend volunteering for human trials just yet.

My practice has always been rip to FLAC and keep in storage on PC, and re-encode to VBR v0 for portable use. I use a FiiO stack DAP/AMP, and to my ears, with various headphone types I have never heard a difference when trying to double blind.

Sennheiser HD600. Philips SHP9500 (both nice open headphones), JVC SZ2000 (the bass cans), Sony XB90EX (iem's).

Maybe my ears suck but for the storage saving, v0 is amazing. I have to be listening pretty dang critically to even hear the benifit of FLAC vs v2.

That said, 400gb is getting to the point where I might just go with my FLAC rips on the go. That is a lot of freaking space.

Top Bottom