• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SanDisk's 1TB SD card has more storage than your laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That still boggles my mind when I got back to think about that!

I feel like in the past years we have stagnated. It felt super crazy once CD's and DVD's became a thing. Then again it seemed like we had a huge jump when USB flash drives came onto the scene. Since then, I have felt stagnated.

Die shrinking solid state memory gets harder each time due to the physics of energy going through increasingly smaller paths, billions go into innovative techniques to do so, but it costs more and takes longer each time.

We really need to go from silicon to a new material (like graphene), but that's still not ready.

DiscoJer

Honestly, as someone grew up in the 1970s, this is about the only thing about modern technology that amazes me (well, also space telescopes, but those were expected).

I mean, damn, for the longest time the big leap was from those big ass floppy disks the size of a manilla folder to the smaller 5 1/4" ones to finally the 3/ 1/2", in a space of what, maybe 15 years.

I remember going to Disney Land as a kid and my father having to lug around a gigantic video recorder. with the tape recorder in a backpack By the time I was in college, they were a little smaller, but not much. And either way you had about 2 hours of recording time if you were lucky. The video tape lasted like 20 years.

Now thanks to storage, a teeny-tiny device can record of hours

I had to check info to find out how big my Macbook harddrive is (120GB). I actually already own a micro SD card larger than my laptop.

can i put it in my NX?
Given I'm told 128GB cards become very hot when used on a 3DS it might not be a great idea.

Could put a ton of 3DS games on that. I haven't even hit the limit with my 32 GB sd yet...
You would run into the 300 titles cap* (IIRC Vita has a smaller cap) before you filled 1TB...unless every game were the size of Resident Evil Revelaitons.

*-IIRC System titles and DSiWare don't count.

RocknRola

Wow, after reading some comments I can't believe I forgot how huge this can actually be for photography and video recording (both for pros and amateurs).

Not only can this enable to record a lot more film/take a lot more pictures, each individual film/picture can support a much greater amount info in them. It'll help make 4k films a lot easier to record given enough time for even bigger SD cards (though I assume this should be quite a lot already for these things), for example, and by association it'll make content for users a lot easier to create at that kind of quality/standard.

Damn. It's like one of the first pieces of the domino effetc being knocked down when we reach these moments.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Other than game installs I've completely moved away from big storage on my desktop. My next build will have a single 512gb SSD, the rest of my storage needs will be handled by our NAS. No reason to keep msuic, movies, system backup images, ect on the actual desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom