• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Gvaz said:
I had to skip the first half hour because it was just so awkward and bad.

The part with the band was just "what the fuck" like that girl said too

still awkward though, also wtf with teh sitcom music

You make me sad.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gvaz said:
The ginger girl is hot as hell though
2mgvc76.png

Altazor said:
I can't watch this movie for the time being - Alison Pill/Kim Pine reminds me of a certain girl... =(

Understandable, but I gotta say this movie deals with moving on from past relationships so maybe it'll be kinda therapeutic

devenger

R2D4 said:
There she is really hot. In SP? Ick.

I certainly don't think she has sharp knees, but I remember thinking she looked a little weird in SP. Strange facial structure.

Cute, but not what I would call hot (that pic is showcasing a rocking body, though)

How did anyone notice another female in this film with Ramona Flowers strutting around?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gvaz said:
I had to skip the first half hour because it was just so awkward and bad.

The part with the band was just "what the fuck" like that girl said too

still awkward though, also wtf with teh sitcom music

This movie just isnt for you....stop now and donate the DVD/Blu Ray to someone who can appreciate the comedy/action/quirkiness of the movie........because if you dont get the humor/craziness/references by now then you will hate it by the time you reach Todd IngramBrandon Routh.

Dont worry you arent weird, my cousin didnt get this movie either....really by the end of the opening scene you should know whether to even give this movie a chance.

The stars in Knives eyes are the point at which most of my uncool friends give up on the movie cuz "it doesnt make sense"

fludevil said:
How did anyone notice another female in this film with Ramona Flowers strutting around?

Ellen Wong and Anna Kendrick were the hottest b***** in this s***
I watched the making of multiple times jsut to get more Ellen Wong...shes so frikkin Cute.
Anna Kendrick well shes frikkin anna kendrick!

P.S Ive watched this movie atleast 50 times, heard with all the commentaries multiple times, Trivia on and once muted cuz my niece was sleeping.
Still awesome!

P.P.S Im one of those Movie > Comic guys.....but then again im also one of those Movie made me read comic guys.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
fludevil said:
She didn't look that great in the film either most of the time - much more attractive in other shots outside the film.

Gvaz

Banned
I get the references most of the time but they're simply aren't funny or dumb.

I like the music and the action sequences though. Also I don't like michael cera at all.

Gvaz

Banned
I like how they went and explained a lame joke, even though the joke was obvious and they simply weren't getting it

just wanted to say again since this thread was bumped that the opening credits are still one of my favorites ever. I probably like them more than the enter the void ones.

devenger

Black_Stride said:
Ellen Wong and Anna Kendrick were the hottest b***** in this s***

Recently, I've noticed that younger looking girls don't seem quite as hot to me anymore. I don't see anything wrong with it, I often argued with my wife that, laws be damned, a hot 16 yr old was going to be a hot 16 yr old no matter how old I got.

And then it changed. i don't know what exactly, but Ellen Wong, while super cute, looks kind of baby faced to me. I want to protect her from guys like you more than I want to disrobe her :)

Kendrick, to me, always looks like she is smelling something rotten.

edit: Gvaz, you asked what was up with the sitcom music. It just seems like you're actually not getting all of the references. No matter, if you hit the first boyfriend fight and are more confused than amused, it's just not going to be for you.

fludevil said:
Recently, I've noticed that younger looking girls don't seem quite as hot to me anymore. I don't see anything wrong with it, I often argued with my wife that, laws be damned, a hot 16 yr old was going to be a hot 16 yr old no matter how old I got.

And then it changed. i don't know what exactly, but Ellen Wong, while super cute, looks kind of baby faced to me. I want to protect her from guys like you more than I want to disrobe her :)

Kendrick, to me, always looks like she is smelling something rotten.
white knight. she's hot.

Altazor

WascallyWabbit said:
Understandable, but I gotta say this movie deals with moving on from past relationships so maybe it'll be kinda therapeutic

no, I know, I love the comics and watched the movie twice, although when I watched it I, uh, barely knew this particular girl by then. It's a different situation now =(

but yeah, thanks for the recommendation anyway :)

mik83kuu

Banned
The movie was fucking awesome! Should I read the comics or have I spoiled myself? I don't want to read a bunch of comics for the same story I just saw.

mik83kuu said:
The movie was fucking awesome! Should I read the comics or have I spoiled myself? I don't want to read a bunch of comics for the same story I just saw.

Different journey. It's worth it. I found all 6 for $30.

corn_fest

mik83kuu said:
The first three comics follow the movie exactly (though there is additional backstory in the comics), but it deviates from there.

Gvaz

Banned
fludevil said:
edit: Gvaz, you asked what was up with the sitcom music. It just seems like you're actually not getting all of the references. No matter, if you hit the first boyfriend fight and are more confused than amused, it's just not going to be for you.
I know what the references are I just think they're stupid and out of place.

I get the level up shit like the rpg shit and the stats and the game/nerd references but they're just slightly entertaining instead of funny. Most of the time the jokes are "heh" instead of funny.

I love the combats though and the the presentation.

I guess I should add I never read the comic and made an effort not to because I didn't like anything about what i've seen whatosoever.

This gideon fight was awesome.

devenger

Gvaz said:
I know what the references are I just think they're stupid and out of place.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by out of place, since the whole movie is filled with them, therefore... this is the place for them :)

@ Harry, of course I'm white knighting. Moreso, I'm surprised I'm white knighting. A few years ago, I would have wanted to wreck Knives. Oh, and goth ninja Egg.

big ander

I'm not even going to justify the guy with a quote, but to the idiot who can't go through a 110 minute movie without skipping large chunks and posting every 10 minutes, you're what's wrong with audiences.
Dead said:
ew :(

Regardless I should probably listen to some of the commentaries on this blu-ray some day
Huh? Why ew?

Kapura said:
iirc the actress who plays Kim Pine is marrying Jay Baruchel. You know, this guy.
Yep. Alison Pill is awesome.

Gvaz

Banned
big ander said:
I'm not even going to justify the guy with a quote, but to the idiot who can't go through a 110 minute movie without skipping large chunks and posting every 10 minutes, you're what's wrong with audiences.

Huh? Why ew?

Yep. Alison Pill is awesome.
I only skipped the first 30 minutes because it was boring

Gvaz said:
I only skipped the first 30 minutes because it was boring

I don't know man. Sounds you like you just don't like quirky movies. Or you don't have too big of a sense of humor (because that's what mostly carries the first 30 minutes), which is fine if you don't and I don't mean that as an insult.

Gvaz

Banned
GuitarAtomik said:
I don't know man. Sounds you like you just don't like quirky movies. Or you don't have too big of a sense of humor (because that's what mostly carries the first 30 minutes), which is fine if you don't and I don't mean that as an insult.
I enjoyed the rest, but that part just made me facepalm and sigh a lot.

Gvaz

Banned
big ander said:
You didn't watch all of it and not watching all of something means you didn't see it. You're an idiot.
I watched enough. I'm not going to watch some sappy exposition about some preteen girl and awkward michael cera.

Kapura

Banned
Gvaz said:
I watched enough. I'm not going to watch some sappy exposition about some preteen girl and awkward michael cera.
trans: I'M GOING TO SHIT-TALK A FILM YOU LIKE THAT I DIDN'T, BUT CAN'T ACCURATELY CRITICISE HAVING NOT, YOU KNOW, WATCHED IT.

We understand you don't like it. You can leave now.

big ander

Gvaz said:
The fact that you think Cera's character in this is "awkward" proves that you have very little "reading" comprehension and can't understand characters, as it's shown dozens of times that Scott gets in awkward situations but is confident and cocky most of the time. Also, you have no idea what the fuck "sappy" means.

Gvaz

Banned
big ander said:
The fact that you think Cera's character in this is "awkward" proves that you have very little "reading" comprehension and can't understand characters, as it's shown dozens of times that Scott gets in awkward situations but is confident and cocky most of the time. Also, you have no idea what the fuck "sappy" means.
Okay then, embarrassing. That's the feeling I got from watching that part.

As for michael cera being awkward, he was absolutely awkward in most situations that wasn't a combat sequence, for example the beginning and every time he was around a girl. Probably that was his character in the books but, then again michael cera is almost always awkward.

4bb8d600-d2dd-4434-bb9a-dd163ab8d50a.png

It was only afterwards, for example at the end fight redux, that he truly became cocky.

Kapura said:
trans: I'M GOING TO SHIT-TALK A FILM YOU LIKE THAT I DIDN'T, BUT CAN'T ACCURATELY CRITICISE HAVING NOT, YOU KNOW, WATCHED IT.

We understand you don't like it. You can leave now.

watching 80~ of a film (i had watched about 10 minutes or so and skipped to the 30 minute mark because it wasn't doing it for me) is more than enough to pass judgement, especially when skipping that part the movie was loads more interesting to me. I'm 100% sure the minor exposition in that wouldn't change any of my opinions, additionally since I wasn't lost about anything happening in the movie by skipping those ~20 minutes

Basically it wasn't about "not getting the humor or references", it was about the fact they were groanworthy, almost on the level of napolean dynamite. For the parts that weren't action packed and focused more on the story, the show started to become uninteresting to me because I didn't really like any of the characters. Not because the characters were static or something, but rather because they were trying to go tongue in cheek (for example the guitarist when he was repeating himself twice, for about 5 times each). There's a phrase for that, it's called "running this shit into the ground". There's a level were a joke is already established and has reached the funny point, and then they keep going. That's what most of the jokes were like. The part I mentioned about having to explain the joke is another example of this.

A movie shouldn't have to rely on the action in order to drive the plot, but that's what was happening for me. The strong points were the combat for the flair and the choreographed fighting and the overall art style/music and the low points were pretty much everything else. I see what they were going for, and maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the "english manga" that was made about it, but I really didn't.

Overall, I didn't think it was bad, but it definitely wouldn't be something I'd recommend or say it's for everyone.

big ander

petethepanda said:
If anyone's in Chicago, the Movies in the Park thing this summer will be showing this in Wicker Park in August.
Oooh, might have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

I was thinking about reading the post above, but then I saw that oft-posted and ancient Michael Cera graph and something about him still being to form an opinion on the film, which is flat-out wrong.

kyoya

Yaweee said:
In Treatment season two.

Agreed - Allison Pill was amazing in this, I could not stop watching the following episode, watch her performance at the 4:15 mark in this particular scene here:

Warning: Major mid-spoiler scenes here for In Treatment Season Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5K8BPuQSzI

Scene continued here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Png9tN9xyE

I wanted to reach into the TV screen and just hug her character - as to why Allison Pill did not get any kind of nomination or award for her performance as April is beyond me. She is one serious actress who has gone from stage, to small screen to the big screen, and she didn't have to take Scott Pilgrim, I remember her saying she did it just for fun which makes me respect her a great deal :)

Cyan

Banned
Finally got around to watching, since it's on HBO. Awesome shit, wish I'd gotten off my ass and seen it in the theater. I knew from the moment they did the Zelda LttP jingle that I would love it.

Also, Knives Chau is awesomer than Ramona Flowers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I don't get what was awesome about her character, unless you guys are just talking about looks...

Y'know I saw Die Hard 4 on FX a few weeks back and I didn't realize it until after the movie was over that Mary Elizabeth Winstead was playing Bruce Willis' character's daughter.

Amazing how normal hair and clothes can make someone so much more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom