• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Aeana

I took a couple of photos of the neato dot matrix view mode for SD1.

DBR5gj9UAAA8iVf.jpg:large

DBR5hy8VwAACq1V.jpg:large

I thought that looked pretty cool.

Robin64

That dot matrix view mode is perfect. Reminds me of those awesome shaders that Retroarch users get to play with, but here it is in an official release. Wonderful.

Pixel filters really need to be available on every old handheld rerelease so long as the screen resolution supports it.

iirc, GBA Virtual Console scaled by 3x to the GamePad and up to 6x on the TV, and it looked horrible in both because you lose the gaps between pixels once you do pixel doubling or greater. The issue is made worse when the image is bigger than the original, but even when it's almost the same size (see: PSP games on Vita) it's still noticeable.

TheWraith

That dot matrix view mode is perfect. Reminds me of those awesome shaders that Retroarch users get to play with, but here it is in an official release. Wonderful.

The bad thing about this collection is that similar filters for the two other games are not offered at all, real bummer.

fireflame

As someone who only played the first seiken densetsu, i am wondering, what do next episodes retain from teh first game? Graphically they look rather different.

Raitaro

There's not much there. When you get past the title screen you're given a full screen splash of Seiken Densetsu 1. You push left or right to get to the other game's splash screens.
You can push up on the d-pad to put it into music playback mode, giving you access to the game's soundtrack for all 3 games.

When you boot a game, left trigger will bring up a game menu, giving access to showing controls, quick save, quick load and nothing much else important. Right trigger will change the screen mode.

Super Nintendo games only have two options, full 4:3 screen and windowed 4:3. Both games have screen border art from their games which cannot be turned off.

Gameboy game gives you more screen options, there are three color modes, pure black and white, a kind of pure browny color mode, and also a green and black original gameboy screen filter which actually looks very much like the original gameboy.

And that's it.

Thank you for that write-up; I appreciate it!

While a Wild Guns: Reloaded style re-release with redrawn art to create a native widescreen image would have been beyond the moon incredible, I guess this collection suffices when it comes to to most important stuff (minus some more graphical options it seems). I really like the music playback mode. That's definitely one of the extras I would have put on a wishlist.

The quick menu for me is a bit of a guessing game at first, but the load and save feature from the quick menu is great. Can be access using the second left shoulder pad(ZL)

DBUYCYzUQAAQtCF

You can also save manually in game by talking to Inn NPC.

I had a few SNES enthusiasts look at the screen on my 43" TV and on the Switch handheld screen. Game plays as smoothly as it did on the SNES. It's pretty much perfect emulation of all 3 games.

Pictured below is a screen cap from handheld mode.

DBSBoS1UAAAlB6c

SOM did not really have a butt load of dialog, so if anyone here is a massive fan, you probably remember what Luka and the other NPC say, if any are interested definitely dip on this title. It felt incredible playing this title in my hands. Almost brought some nostalgia tears to my eyes.

Yes, to me it also holds great nostalgic appeal.

SOM remains one of my top 5 SNES games and I've always been curious to try its sequel beyond dabbling in emulation for a few minutes here and there. I'm not sure if I will be able to get past the language barrier though, as even the import version of Puyo Puyo Tetris became kind of tiring for me to boot up and navigate honestly. Guess I have little patience for that nowadays. That said, if SE won't annouce a localized version at E3 or so, I will have no choice but to buy this import version, even if its just to have it in my possession.

SOM would be OK to play throgh since like I said it isn't very dialog heavy. SOM3, I would pull up a guide and do a slow walk through. 3 has a lot of special holidays and events that happen on some days iirc, and more dialog interacts then 2 did. At least from what I remember in the first half of the game. Second half is easily more about getting powerful and fighting bosses.

But know what Day it is, what NPC are saying when you start out is pretty important to getting around, and there's 6 different characters who start off at different parts of the world.

At that point though, it would probably make a lot more sense to pull up a ROM and play a English patched version.

Raitaro

SOM would be OK to play throgh since like I said it isn't very dialog heavy. SOM3, I would pull up a guide and do a slow walk through. 3 has a lot of special holidays and events that happen on some days iirc, and more dialog interacts then 2 did. At least from what I remember in the first half of the game. Second half is easily more about getting powerful and fighting bosses.

But know what Day it is, what NPC are saying when you start out is pretty important to getting around, and there's 6 different characters who start off at different parts of the world.

At that point though, it would probably make a lot more sense to pull up a ROM and play a English patched version.

Yeah, I had a feeling Seiken 3 would be far worse to play in Japanese compared to SOM...which makes it sting even more that we never got an English version back then (and might not again now...)... :-(

Nairume

Banned
i see 0 chance of this happening unless they change seiken 3 to children of mana or something
M2 has expressed a willingness to do the necessary localization programming, and SquareEnix just did a full localization for a port of a less requested sfc rpg. It isn't impossible.

Shifty1897

M2 has expressed a willingness to do the necessary localization programming, and SquareEnix just did a full localization for a port of a less requested sfc rpg. It isn't impossible.

Is the less requested sfc rpg Romancing Saga 2? Cause let me tell you, that wasn't a localization, that was copy+pasting the script into Google Translate and calling it a day.

hongcha

My copy finally arrived today. I played each game for about 10 minutes and they all run perfectly and look beautiful on the Switch's screen. This is such a joy to have on a cart, it brings back all my memories of playing these in the early-mid 90s. Definitely worth every yen! I do wish they included reprints of the instruction manuals for each game (either physically, or at least scanned and viewable in-game). That would have made the package perfect.

I've decided to play SD3 first, with an all-girls team (main = Lise).

I hope M2 makes more of these collections for SE. I'll buy every one.

Eusis

Is the less requested sfc rpg Romancing Saga 2? Cause let me tell you, that wasn't a localization, that was copy+pasting the script into Google Translate and calling it a day.
At this point half of us might accept that sort of crap for SD3. But hopefully they'd get someone qualified on board instead.

Personally, I have no problem with that if it gets me SD3 in English.

I know if I import SoM is the least of my worries. I played through it so many times I could do it without dialogue. Hell I even remember what all spells do and the general order of orbs.

FFA/SD1/AoM is tougher, that damn figure 8 puzzle.

SD3 would be the hardest, only one play through for m , lots of dialogue, lots of characters, but if it's the only way to play on modern system then that's what I'm doing...

Picked this up this morning having never played any of the games. Gotta say, I kind of hate the first game so far. The controls just seem pretty terrible.

Not sure if it's just my pro controller as it would occasionally give me trouble in Zelda changing weapons but it was an occasional annoyance versus here where I feel like I'm constantly fighting the controls whether I use the stick or dpad.

That could just be the controller though, I'll try it out in handheld mode later. Besides that though, enemies tossing you halfway across the screen when they touch you and chests flat out blocking your way and forcing you to leave the screen and come back if your inventory is full is also pretty annoying. Not a fan of doors relocking themselves and cave walls filling themselves in after being broken either. Basically plays like a poor man's 2d Zelda overall so far. However, I like that you have spells and NPC helpers.

Feel like I'm kind of slogging through this hoping Secret of Mana is going to live up to its reputation. Not like I've ever heard particular praise for Final Fantasy Adventure...

Do I need to check my expectations for the second game or am I missing something on the first?

Vinnk

So it sold like 30k it's opening week in Japan. Is that enough that SE would bother with a localization. Many are saying it's more sales than expected.

duckroll

So it sold like 30k it's opening week in Japan. Is that enough that SE would bother with a localization. Many are saying it's more sales than expected.

I don't think there is ever any practical truth to "a game selling well in territory A will increase chances of it being localized in territory B" because it rarely makes any sense if you think about it. The main factor that determines if a game would be localized in another territory is whether the company sees potential in selling it in that region. If S-E thinks there is money to be made in selling the game in America, it will be localized in English. How it performs in Japan wouldn't have any bearing on that. A game which fails in Japan could make more money back overseas. A game which is very successful in Japan might mean they made enough money to not bother with overseas releases if they think it is too risky or if there isn't demand.

It's pretty good for a rom set, honestly.

But localization adds a lot of costs and, by the time it comes out, it will not be as lonely a game on the shelf.

hongcha

It's pretty good for a rom set, honestly.

But localization adds a lot of costs and, by the time it comes out, it will not be as lonely a game on the shelf.

Eh, they could just use the English roms for FFA and Secret of Mana. Then slap on Secret of Evermore. That could be all coded and ready to go within a few days, for next to nothing in terms of cost.

I really don't think they are going to translate SD3 as that would be very costly and time-consuming (there's a lot of text in the game).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Do I need to check my expectations for the second game or am I missing something on the first?

I really like Final Fantasy Adventure, but I won't deny it has plenty of problems including what you mentioned above (aside from the controls, never had problems with those).
Secret of Mana is a very different game, it doesn't have the same problems. It has it's own set of problems, but maybe they won't bother you as much.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Every time I see this thread gets bumped my heart skips a little. Don't toy with me you guys.

My copy is waiting for me at the collect center. I hope I'll get time after work today to get it, I wanna play those games again :p

And I would be OK with a Western release, with Secret of Evermore slapped in.

I would double dip then, because I love that game too.

tsumineko

I was mucking around with the screen modes of Seiken Densetsu 2, and I realised there are actually 4 screen modes, not 2. It's ever so slight, but 2 of the screen modes, both in small size and big size are filtered. The other 2 are not filtered and completely raw. The filtered looks way better, where the un-filtered has uneven sized pixels.

Is it playable without knowledge of the Japanese language? I am tempted to pick it up

Definitely not. It's a story based RPG.

Is it playable without knowledge of the Japanese language? I am tempted to pick it up

Not really no.

As for cost of localization? The game doesn't have that many lines... It's still a sfc have, story text is limited to maybe a thousand lines or less which is pretty miniscule by today's standards. Especially for the full time localization staff squenix has on hand.

It's probably more costly for hacking/programming as it's going to take someone familiar with a very ancient processor and it's assembly language to debug and reprogram it since the source is surely long lost at this point.

(Edit) thinking on it, a thousand is probably overestimating it... From what i can remember cutscenes were only a dozen or so lines at most, the full text for the story is likely only a few hundred lines.

120v

i beat SD3 in 1995 without knowing a lick of japanese. but i was also a kid with infinite time on my hands fanatically determined to play "secret of mana 2" any way i could get it.

it's a kind of silly endeavor but doable

Jazzem

Damn that's great, can't think of any other time an official emulator has included an option like that. Seeing how great the emulation is on this collection...god I hope the Switch VC matches up, can't take any more dark blurry filters!

entremet

Damn that's great, can't think of any other time an official emulator has included an option like that. Seeing how great the emulation is on this collection...god I hope the Switch VC matches up, can't take any more dark blurry filters!
M2 Right?

They are gods at this stuff.

Xater

Wow I was really excited until I realized, is this like.... 3 roms for 4800yen on a card? Literally? These are all the original versions (that's not a bad thing), with none of the remake options or touched up enhancements (maybe I'm mistaken?!)....?

Yeah, that's way too much money for what this is.

If it comes west with secret of evermore instead of SD3, I will still get it.

Evermore is still a fun game, not as great as SD3, but a pretty fun and good game. I willl be disappointed but it will be tolerable for SoM and SoE.

If it does come west I hope it has the expanded translation from the mobile SoM release. Not much of a difference between that and the original SNES release, but the little extras in the translation I felt added something to the experience. I hope it doesn't get anything else because the mobile version breaks the last dungeon completely AND still has an evade bug that makes physical attacks much MUCH harder to land.

I'm hoping for an E3 surprise localization announcement. It wouldn't shock me if it's re-branded the Secret collection with Evermore instead of SD3 in the west.

urfe

I have this. I am enjoying it. In the first one I'm in a cave with a red mage.

I prefer Evermore to 3. Blasphemy I know. 3 always seemed buggy to me.

Raitaro

Not really no.

As for cost of localization? The game doesn't have that many lines... It's still a sfc have, story text is limited to maybe a thousand lines or less which is pretty miniscule by today's standards. Especially for the full time localization staff squenix has on hand.

It's probably more costly for hacking/programming as it's going to take someone familiar with a very ancient processor and it's assembly language to debug and reprogram it since the source is surely long lost at this point.

(Edit) thinking on it, a thousand is probably overestimating it... From what i can remember cutscenes were only a dozen or so lines at most, the full text for the story is likely only a few hundred lines.

If only we had someone on Gaf who has any inside knowledge of localization for older games. Someone who could offer some perspective on what it would take to localize Seiken 3...

...someone from 8-4 Play, ideally...

Oh wait, we do! john tv!

That said, he's probably too busy on actually localizing things (for Nintendo amongst other companies). That said, if you have some time john, please give us some insight (and hope) if you can.

Top Bottom