• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

i like those games but they always weirded me out a bit
you're killing these cutesey characters and they collapse into a pile of bones o_o

The series is heavily inspired by Koichi Ishii's childhood memories as well as classic tales such as The NeverEnding Story, which explains this mixture of childish and terrifying things IMO.

Back when it was still called Chrono Trigger, the Super CD-ROM version of Secret of Mana was actually even darker according to Square.

Amazing it took 15 pages for a petition to pop up. Without a petition we never would have gotten XC, PT or TLS in the west.

NoA really has no idea what they are doing.
Xenoblade at least (not sure about the others) was released in the west without any petition so that's not true. The US was another story.

Syril

Xenoblade at least (not sure about the others) was released in the west without any petition so that's not true. The US was another story.
All of them already had English versions released in Europe. The fact that the work was already done was one of the main arguments of that campaign in the first place.

MrHoot

I never played the third but LOVE SoM. Id buy a switch for this. Id rather it just came to PS4 though.

I'd rather it come to everything really (switch, ps4, vita, pc). There's no reason it would not. But mostly switch and/or vita for me as I always wanted to play these on handhelds

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If this petition doesn't help Democracy is truly dead.

Pejo

Wow, how did I miss this news. I tried playing SD3 on an emulator a long long time ago, but the lack of understanding the dialogue ruined it for me. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it gets localized.

Back when it was still called Chrono Trigger, the Super CD-ROM version of Secret of Mana was actually even darker according to Square.

I've never heard of the CD ROM version of SoM being referred to as Chrono Trigger. Do you have a link to an article about it? It was always my understanding that SoM was for the CD and was just cut down to fit a cartridge.

I've never heard of the CD ROM version of SoM being referred to as Chrono Trigger. Do you have a link to an article about it? It was always my understanding that SoM was for the CD and was just cut down to fit a cartridge.

There has never been a comprehensive article about it, but Hiromichi Tanaka (the original producer of Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo PlayStation) has mentioned it a few times in interviews. Here are the main sources:

Dengeki Online said:

Seiken Densetsu Music Complete Book said:
pon getting word from Nintendo that they were developing a CD-ROM adapter for the Super Famicom, we decided to start a project in a different direction from Final Fantasy IV [...] The development codename for the new project was Maru Island, and we were making it as a collaboration work with Akira Toriyama-sensei after we established contact through Shueisha. I frequently ran back to the office just to receive and look at the screen mock-ups that Toriyama-sensei did in the initial stages of the project.

Despite that, the CD-ROM adapter was never completed. Once everyone learned that the CD-ROM adapter was never going to see a release, they decided to abandon everything that had been planned for development since the very start, including Toriyama-sensei's contributions, and decided to revise the project in order to make it release into a ROM cassette. We said that we would wait for the CD-ROM to make a collaboration project with Toriyama-sensei, but when it was revised, it actually became an entirely different project with an entirely different direction. That was what later on was completed into the game we know as Chrono Trigger.

Thanks to the high speed of the ROM, it was possible to seamlessly make the action visible in the field without the need to make a transition into a battle screen. But in the end, the new RPG I wanted to start making — one that didn't have a command-style battle system (Motion Battle System) and tested the reflexes of the players — wasn't a title that existed at the moment.

Upon seeing that my goal was to make an action RPG, and learning that an ARPG was the next game we were going to make, I decided to make it into a sequel for Seiken Densetsu, so we reestructured everything to use the world setting we had already from the previous game, and Seiken Densetsu 2 was finally completed.

LEVEL Magazine said:

You can also read a bit more about the common origin of Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259013
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196519

There has never been a comprehensive article about it, but Hiromichi Tanaka (the original producer of Chrono Trigger for the Nintendo PlayStation) has mentioned it a few times in interviews. Here are the main sources:

You can also read a bit more about the common origin of Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259013
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196519

That's really interesting. It seems pretty obvious to me that SoM was intended to have more content since the last part of the game just kind of falls off. For example the last weapon orbs being a drop from an enemy in the last dungeon. Thanks for the links.

brainpann

Wow, how did I miss this news. I tried playing SD3 on an emulator a long long time ago, but the lack of understanding the dialogue ruined it for me. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it gets localized.

Not really trying to promote emulation but there is a translation patch for SD3 if this collection doesnt get released in the west. Just sayin....

ReaperXL7

I'd be interested in this if it ever came to the US. More importantly though I wish for a remaster of Legend of Mana with HD art, Game would be gorgeous.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Signed. SD3 forever. I let a few of my friends know, too, and they'll likely pay that forward, so I think I can help with a ~25 sig spike all things considered.

IrishNinja

signed - been sitting on this repro cart of SD III for years now, would love to just play it properly on switch at this point

Raitaro

signed - been sitting on this repro cart of SD III for years now, would love to just play it properly on switch at this point

I actually came close a few times to buying one of those so I could play the game in coop with my wife or mom (both of whom I have played Secret of Mana with to completion in the past) on my dusty SNES but for some reason I never ended up doing it. If this collection stays in Japan, I might have to go the repro route afterall though.

IrishNinja

I actually came close a few times to buying one of those so I could play the game in coop with my wife or mom (both of whom I have played Secret of Mana with to completion in the past) on my dusty SNES but for some reason I never ended up doing it. If this collection stays in Japan, I might have to go the repro route afterall though.

it's neat to have on the shelf, but if you have anything else you'd be down for, consider an everdrive instead!

I just noticed this was coming out soon when browsing the Japanese store. I never played any of the old games. I watched the trailer that the eshop had on there, and holy shit these games look awesome. I so want this.

No English support is a huge bummer. I was hoping at least Adventure and Secret of Mana would have the option. Fingers crossed this gets an English release.

TheWraith

Just got it as well, it's way more bare bones then I thought but plays quite well. The different display options for the first one are real nice, but it's really lacking for the snes games, only 4:3 full screen or original resolution. There's no crt emulation or other options like on other M2 releases.

Cartho

Switch is Vita reborn.

We need to get an update to that "you bought a PS Vita" gif. We could change it to "you managed to get hold of a Nintendo Switch somehow!"

bionic77

Hope it gets a release in English. Never played SOM3 but I liked the first (good game single player but legendary game, at the time, in 3 player).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Switch is Vita reborn.

We need to get an update to that "you bought a PS Vita" gif. We could change it to "you managed to get hold of a Nintendo Switch somehow!"

This is a thing already

Bought-a-switch.gif

Edit: On-topic -- from the look of things, this allows you to run the game in either 4:3 or 8:7 resolutions. That's kind of nice. This fucking compilation needs to get a Western release. Like... it's just free money.

ryushe

Just got it as well, it's way more bare bones then I thought but plays quite well. The different display options for the first one are real nice, but it's really lacking for the snes games, only 4:3 full screen or original resolution. There's no crt emulation or other options like on other M2 releases.
That's a bummer. Oh well.

Phatcorns

Edit: On-topic -- from the look of things, this allows you to run the game in either 4:3 or 8:7 resolutions. That's kind of nice. This fucking compilation needs to get a Western release. Like... it's just free money.

Yeah, it seems there's four different screen modes. I don't know which is which, but there's blurry filled screen, blurry small screen, sharp filled screen, and sharp small screen.

Anything on a NA release? I recently beat Sieken Densetsu 3 on SNES but to have all 3 games on the go and give part 3 another go with a new cast would be fantastic!

hongcha

My copy has shipped from Amazon JP, should be here Monday. I hope this is localized, I'd love to own the English versions these games as well (they probably won't include SD3, but Secret of Evermore thrown in there instead would be fine).

tsumineko

Cool photo! Any impressions in terms of the menu's, options etc?

There's not much there. When you get past the title screen you're given a full screen splash of Seiken Densetsu 1. You push left or right to get to the other game's splash screens.
You can push up on the d-pad to put it into music playback mode, giving you access to the game's soundtrack for all 3 games.

When you boot a game, left trigger will bring up a game menu, giving access to showing controls, quick save, quick load and nothing much else important. Right trigger will change the screen mode.

Super Nintendo games only have two options, full 4:3 screen and windowed 4:3. Both games have screen border art from their games which cannot be turned off.

Gameboy game gives you more screen options, there are three color modes, pure black and white, a kind of pure browny color mode, and also a green and black original gameboy screen filter which actually looks very much like the original gameboy.

And that's it.

The quick menu for me is a bit of a guessing game at first, but the load and save feature from the quick menu is great. Can be access using the second left shoulder pad(ZL)

DBUYCYzUQAAQtCF

You can also save manually in game by talking to Inn NPC.

I had a few SNES enthusiasts look at the screen on my 43" TV and on the Switch handheld screen. Game plays as smoothly as it did on the SNES. It's pretty much perfect emulation of all 3 games.

Pictured below is a screen cap from handheld mode.

DBSBoS1UAAAlB6c

SOM did not really have a butt load of dialog, so if anyone here is a massive fan, you probably remember what Luka and the other NPC say, if any are interested definitely dip on this title. It felt incredible playing this title in my hands. Almost brought some nostalgia tears to my eyes.

Top Bottom