• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection announced for Switch (SD1-3 roms, 4800 yen)

Nairume

Banned
I don't get why companies need to pick one way or the other. Why can't it be both?

Legend of Mana was called Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana in Japan. So why couldn't this be called Seiken Densetsu 3: xyz of Mana?
Alternatively, take the Dark Forces path for the west: Fate of Mana: Secret of Mana 2

Erigu

Mystic Quest is part of this? Didn't know that.
Careful though: Seiken Densetsu -Final Fantasy Gaiden- (1991), aka Final Fantasy Adventure in North America, aka Mystic Quest in Europe, is not to be confused with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (1992), aka Final Fantasy USA Mystic Quest in Japan, aka Mystic Quest Legend in Europe.
... Yes, it's dumb as fuck.

Funny enough Sword of Mana in of itself is the only game in the entire series which title is closest to the actual translation of the Japanese titling of the series.
Seiken Densetsu basically translates to Holy Sword Legend / Legend of the Holy Sword.
Although that apparently was more specifically referring to Excalibur, originally:
0Fe9LRy.jpg

SkyOdin

Although that apparently was more specifically referring to Excalibur, originally:
Yeah, the titular holy sword in the first game was the Excalibur (or rather the Xclbr due to space limitations). This is addressed in the intro to Secret of Mana where it states that Excalibur is just one of the names that the Mana Sword is known by. In fact, Excalibur was the name of the fifth or sixth level of the sword (I can't remember exactly which one).

The Excalibur was very prominant in every one of Square's early RPGs. It was in every Final Fantasy, the Mana games, and the SaGa games. Someone at Square must have really liked Arthurian legend.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, the titular holy sword in the first game was the Excalibur (or rather the Xclbr due to space limitations). This is addressed in the intro to Secret of Mana where it states that Excalibur is just one of the names that the Mana Sword is known by. In fact, Excalibur was the name of the fifth or sixth level of the sword (I can't remember exactly which one).

The Excalibur was very prominant in every one of Square's early RPGs. It was in every Final Fantasy, the Mana games, and the SaGa games. Someone at Square must have really liked Arthurian legend.

Speaking of, Excalibur is also the French name for the Master Sword in the Zelda games. No idea if that's changed with Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild though.

Mandoric

Banned

It's kinda the default legendary knight sword. Durandal or Joyeuse or Ridill probably would have indicated more ~deep~?

Link_enfant

Speaking of, Excalibur is also the French name for the Master Sword in the Zelda games. No idea if that's changed with Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild though.
If I'm not wrong, the only Zelda game to have called it Excalibur in French is A Link to the Past. I'm not sure about the GBA port though.
From Ocarina of Time onwards, it was called "Épée de Légende" or something similar, with maybe slight variations depending on the game and its story but we never had Excalibur in a Zelda game since then.
Breath of the Wild also calls it "Lame Purificatrice" on some occasions. I still haven't found it though :)

LordKano

If I'm not wrong, the only Zelda game to have called it Excalibur in French is A Link to the Past. I'm not sure about the GBA port though.
From Ocarina of Time onwards, it was called "Épée de Légende" or something similar, with maybe slight variations depending on the game and its story but we never had Excalibur in a Zelda game since then.
Breath of the Wild also calls it "Lame Purificatrice" on some occasions. I still haven't found it though :)

Twilight Princess had Excalibur too.

Deja

I don't know if it's been posted yet, but Amazon.jp allowed me to change the shipping address to a UK one today, after not allowing me a few days ago.

Comes out at about £54 including postage and import. Ouch.

No better time than now to continue my journey to learn to read Japanese.

Link_enfant

I didn't change my adress but eventually Amazon JP allowed my order without issue. About 61€ or more including shipping and import taxes.
I'll consider cancelling it if they ever decide to release a physical US/EU version with the same cover, but I really doubt about that sadly.
At least we have a great chance of getting a VC release of SD1 & SD2 imo, as they were originally localized.

Awesome. Even better would be English translation for SD 3 and adding back the content cut from Secret of Mana (as it was originally a SNES CD game).

This is a widespread misconception. Content wasn't really cut "from" Secret of Mana. Rather, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were originally the same game, headed by Hiromichi Tanaka and codenamed Maru Island, which was scrapped when Nintendo's Play Station project fell through.

This is also the reason why Hiromichi Tanaka led the development for Chrono Cross later on, when Sony resurrected the PlayStation project. Some stuff like Gaia's Navel are in both Secret of Mana and Chrono Cross.

This is a widespread misconception. Content wasn't really cut "from" Secret of Mana. Rather, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were originally the same game, headed by Hiromichi Tanaka and codenamed Maru Island, which was scrapped when Nintendo's Play Station project fell through.

That would have been quite the game. How unfortunate.

This is also the reason why Hiromichi Tanaka led the development for Chrono Cross later on, when Sony resurrected the PlayStation project. Some stuff like Gaia's Navel are in both Secret of Mana and Chrono Cross.

Ahh, good to know. I'd still like to see it as one game so that Mana feels more complete.

Whoa that's super interesting, is there a source with this info?

Alec

Whoa that's super interesting, is there a source with this info?

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20...c.com/features/liners/seikendensetsubox.shtml

Despite that, the CD-ROM adapter was never completed. Once everyone learned that the CD-ROM adapter was never going to see a release, they decided to abandon everything that had been planned for development since the very start, including Toriyama-sensei's contributions, and decided to revise the project in order to make it release into a ROM cassette. We said that we would wait for the CD-ROM to make a collaboration project with Toriyama-sensei, but when it was revised, it actually became an entirely different project with an entirely different direction. That was what later on was completed into the game we know as Chrono Trigger.
- Hiromichi Tanaka

Alec

Would pay that outrageous price for those plus Secret of Evermore and Legend of Mana would be nice too.

Evermore is not a Seiken Densetsu game.

Apologies if you already knew that, it's just that structure of your sentence makes me think you don't. And that's okay!

MoonFrog

Careful though: Seiken Densetsu -Final Fantasy Gaiden- (1991), aka Final Fantasy Adventure in North America, aka Mystic Quest in Europe, is not to be confused with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (1992), aka Final Fantasy USA Mystic Quest in Japan, aka Mystic Quest Legend in Europe.

Lol. Ok. That did get me. Thought it was that Mystic Quest my aunt got me as a kid and that I had suddenly found out I'd played this game. Thanks for the clarification.

Tizoc

What's that image about?

sugarless

I am all over this. It does slightly annoy me though as I just picked up Seiken Densetsu 3 in Super Potato a few months ago. Although it's been great playing it on a CRT, the old-fashioned save system was a real pain.

It's a promo flyer for the canceled FDS Seiken Densetsu, which shares nothing except a name (but not subtitle) with the GB title that actually shipped.

Some ideas from this canceled game did end up getting recycled into the GB title, but yes overall it was a distinct project.

For example the vampire and the two-headed hydra:

G6Khk6p.jpg

6M8XEOW.jpg

And this peculiar grotto seems like it could have been the original Gaia's Navel:

iRzYxhN.jpg

Square making some legit as fuck decisions on the development side of things lately.

Though thinking about it, adding official 3 player support for SD3 is the kind of thing M2 would do, heh

Why it'so important that m2 is doing the port?

They're the best in the business when it comes ports of retro 2D stuff. It's damn near a seal of quality to have them working on this.

Alec

He specifically called it the Secret of Mana port. Hopefully an indication that the whole thing gets localized and *not* an indication that they're only going to bring over SoM by itself.

Datschge

He specifically called it the Secret of Mana port. Hopefully an indication that the whole thing gets localized and *not* an indication that they're only going to bring over SoM by itself.
Sam Mullen is just quoting/translating somebody from M2 who was confirming that they handle the Seiken Densetsu Collection. As an Atlus USA producer he's very likely not actually involved in this.

Mikhal

Holy shit at the M2 news! Now I'm dreaming of a Monster World Complete Collection style release with selectable regions for each game. Not that it will solve the lack of English Seiken Densetsu 3...

Holy shit at the M2 news! Now I'm dreaming of a Monster World Complete Collection style release with selectable regions for each game. Not that it will solve the lack of English Seiken Densetsu 3...
They need to bring back all their Sega Ages 2500 releases, not just MWC.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Has Squeenix (or anyone) ever "officially" localized an old rom of a text-heavy RPG?

Does it have to be an RPG? Because there was Monster World IV.
Also FFV PSX but I know that's walking into hair-splitting territory

randomkid

M2 OMG have they ever worked with Square before?

if they can manage to get any extras out of them ... lord have mercy

Has Squeenix (or anyone) ever "officially" localized an old rom of a text-heavy RPG?

Shin Megami Tensei and Monster World 4, and Romancing SaGa 2 on mobile was also a miracle.

Top Bottom