• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 S2 |OT| Tremendous Sea of Love - May 5 on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Full season 2 spoilers:
Sun's Brother, Capheus's campaign, Nomi's Wedding, Lila's cluster, The main BPO plot, and an episode to tell the story leading up to the finale of S2.

That's far too much to wrap up in a satisfying way in a single season. Hopefully Netflix doesn't cancel the show early.

I dunno, all of those things will probably be wrapped up in the first half Season 3 imo. Regardless of whether it is the last season or not. All of those are simply hanging leftover plots, not stuff that would take up a ton of time.

Sun's brother is done. He knows he is beaten, he's not going to be a threat again. If anything, him being sheltered by government officials means there's a larger conspiracy at work, and he's just a pawn. It is likely they will be moving forward with an international government conspiracy angle somewhat related to BPO - linked to Sun and Kala's storylines. Lots of money is being moved around. Is the money being moved into BPO? Or is BPO at war with another major power?

Nomi's wedding is a character moment. It'll be satisfying but it isn't going to be some long running plotline. Capheus will win the election, it's all but certain now. The plot will be about him connecting with other Sensates in Kenya and being a powerful leader figure in his homeland, not him running a campaign. The rally was the campaign as far as the show goes.

Lila... they'll probably reveal the rest of her cluster in Season 3 and they could be a season long "anti-Sense8" team of sorts, but I don't see them surviving the season.

The big thing is not any of these subplots, but rather the concept of the show's core mythology. It's clearly leading to a point where they will discover that this isn't just some current "new" thing where BPO is hunting clusters. BPO itself isn't particularly old either. but Sensates have existed forever. They have their own secret society, their own network, and they are far older than BPO. BPO was created in part -by- the Sensate culture trying to come to an understanding with humanity, but it failed.

If the show goes beyond Season 3, I expect Seasons 4 and 5 to basically play out like an epic campaign of Vampire the Masquerade. It'll be everything Underworld wants to be but failed at. Except instead of Vampires and Werewolves you have Sensate clusters with different allegiances and wanting different futures for mankind.

I dunno, all of those things will probably be wrapped up in the first half Season 3 imo. Regardless of whether it is the last season or not. All of those are simply hanging leftover plots, not stuff that would take up a ton of time.

Lila... they'll probably reveal the rest of her cluster in Season 3 and they could be a season long "anti-Sense8" team of sorts, but I don't see them surviving the season.

They could even tied that into the BPO plot line since BPO would most likely have info on them .
So it won't even have to be the whole season to get rid of them

Still like you saying we most likely won't get any more in-depth stuff about the sensate race and culture if things get cut short .

Sun's brother is done. He knows he is beaten, he's not going to be a threat again. If anything, him being sheltered by government officials means there's a larger conspiracy at work, and he's just a pawn. It is likely they will be moving forward with an international government conspiracy angle somewhat related to BPO - linked to Sun and Kala's storylines. Lots of money is being moved around. Is the money being moved into BPO? Or is BPO at war with another major power?

Nomi's wedding is a character moment. It'll be satisfying but it isn't going to be some long running plotline. Capheus will win the election, it's all but certain now. The plot will be about him connecting with other Sensates in Kenya and being a powerful leader figure in his homeland, not him running a campaign. The rally was the campaign as far as the show goes.

The big thing is not any of these subplots, but rather the concept of the show's core mythology. It's clearly leading to a point where they will discover that this isn't just some current "new" thing where BPO is hunting clusters. BPO itself isn't particularly old either. but Sensates have existed forever. They have their own secret society, their own network, and they are far older than BPO. BPO was created in part -by- the Sensate culture trying to come to an understanding with humanity, but it failed.

If the show goes beyond Season 3, I expect Seasons 4 and 5 to basically play out like an epic campaign of Vampire the Masquerade. It'll be everything Underworld wants to be but failed at. Except instead of Vampires and Werewolves you have Sensate clusters with different allegiances and wanting different futures for mankind.
Please stop. I'm going to upset if we don't get all this now:/

platakul

Banned
Dang you guys weren't kidding about that rush job. At least they foreshadowed it a bit with Will's storyline.
Anyway speculation about the future:

So what's the deal with Jonas really?
They got all the sensates in the same country which could massively reduce cost for production in real life. Although if the sensates don't go back to their normal life, then the show loses all its flavor. What's Lito without Hernando and Daniela? Although I could see them cutting a lot of that flavor just to resolve the plot in a hypothetically reduced season 3. IDK. i hope they get to fulfill their 5 year plan, because this show is on track to be a god damn legend like babylon 5

Menaged

I'm up to episode 6, and like everyone else here, I'm finding this season just great.

some highlights:
I'M A GAY MAN was fantastic. I wished for the pride scene to go on a bit longer since it was just so much fun.
Rajan kissing Wolfgang was ace.
The montage that played homage to the opening credits was amazing

And one major thing I don't understand though:
In the Christmas episode, Will hesitated to do visits since, from what I gather,
he was afraid that Whispers will be able to locate the rest of the cluster like this. In the last few episodes, it seems he doesn't mind visiting others. Is it explained? Did I miss anything Is it just an oversight by the writers?

Just finished. Good season. Like the first, it's definitely a slow burn. Thoughts when it ended:

"What!? That's it!? Aughhhh!" It was a long wait for season 2... waiting for season 3--if there is one--will be painful with that ending. Maybe the budget will be less if it mostly takes place in London? :p

I enjoyed this season a lot. Can't wait for more!

scarlet

What a fantastic season, but the finale was too fast. I need to rewatch it again cuz I keep forgetting stuff.

Hopefully there's a season 3.

Grazzt

What a great season, definitely a step up from season 1.
So many emotions. Full season spoilers.
- I am a gay man! God, I wish I had that courage.
- Will's father's death :(
- Lito visiting Sun while crying. LMAO.
- Wolfgang and Karla are so cute together.
- Fuck you Lila.

Yeah too many things happened in the finale, especially the last 5 minutes. When Will said he was physically there, my jaw dropped.
This show better have a 3rd season, don't let me down Netflix.

ilikeme

Episode 3 was pretty great! I love slowly finding out more about these characters. The grandmother character that Sun hangs out with is the best! :D

And some of the sexy this show brings. With the whole
Raoul/Lito stuff. Whew.

How has no one made a pen-and-paper RPG of Sense8 yet? Seriously.

DOWN

Banned
I miss the smile on old Caphaeus but the new one is fine and it still feels like the same group of characters to root for
Ratings not that good? Show is easily one of the best shows Netflix has atm, that's worrying to hear :(
Ratings should be fine considering season 1 set a Netflix Originals ratings record iirc

Done with the season. The show is still just "alright." 10.5 episodes with no plot before they finally get to the point in the final 30 minutes. Now another two year wait for the same thing to happen.

I mean, I'll still be there, but I would liek for them to finally just do something already.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Done with the season. The show is still just "alright." 10.5 episodes with no plot before they finally get to the point in the final 30 minutes. Now another two year wait for the same thing to happen.

I mean, I'll still be there, but I would liek for them to finally just do something already.

I would say there's plenty of plot, particularly right at the start where it goes at a breakneck pace. It does slow down in the later-middle but it felt like we saw a lot more of the world and got a greater understanding of the Sense8 backstory as well as character development....

jb1234

I've seen up to episode 5 and I'm finding myself disappointed. I mostly very much enjoyed season 1 but the pacing feels slower up to this point in season 2 and too many of the individual stories just aren't landing for me.

I'm especially finding myself bored by Kala, Wolfgang and surprisingly, Lito. The latter bums me out the most because he was the highlight of last season but he's stuck in place at the moment. I liked Will more before he was paired up with Riley, who continues to be a black hole of personality. Sun has the most successful story at the moment, the actress selling her plight and she also gets the share of the fight scenes.

There's still plenty to go but I'm not finding the need to binge episodes like I did with season 1. Just one episode a day. Hopefully it picks up soon.

The Wachowskis must be proud of the matrix rave scene because there are a bunch of really long, slow motion music scenes.

Also feels even more like they're trying to cover so many social issues at once, with subplots about Religion, Race, LGBT among other subjects, which would be fine if they knew how to be subtle with any of it. A shame when the show has a great premise to promote genuine inclusivity. Like the Korean characters having martial arts battles feels so weirdly idealized and typecast.

Other random hot takes:

The new actor for Capheus (sp?) is fine and all, but it will never stop feeling weird to me that it's not the original actor, which basically ruins every scene he's in.

The absolute rigid requirement of every character speaking English really never worked for me. It's just so wrong.

Agree with the above post. The show really bashes your brain in with the social messages. It needs to be done, but it's just sooooo heavy handed.

Zomba13

I enjoyed this season, just finished it. Only thing I didn't like was how fast the second half of the finale moved. I mean, I kind of appreciate stuff happening, but like, it was all so fast and organized when you'd think it would take a lot longer to set up and execute. Minor quibble though.

Lito remains the best character with best additional characters. Dani da gawdess.

I enjoyed this season, just finished it. Only thing I didn't like was how fast the second half of the finale moved. I mean, I kind of appreciate stuff happening, but like, it was all so fast and organized when you'd think it would take a lot longer to set up and execute. Minor quibble though.

Lito remains the best character with best additional characters. Dani da gawdess.
Riley tha goat breh.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen up to episode 5 and I'm finding myself disappointed. I mostly very much enjoyed season 1 but the pacing feels slower up to this point in season 2 and too many of the individual stories just aren't landing for me.

I'm especially finding myself bored by Kala, Wolfgang and surprisingly, Lito. The latter bums me out the most because he was the highlight of last season but he's stuck in place at the moment. I liked Will more before he was paired up with Riley, who continues to be a black hole of personality. Sun has the most successful story at the moment, the actress selling her plight and she also gets the share of the fight scenes.

There's still plenty to go but I'm not finding the need to binge episodes like I did with season 1. Just one episode a day. Hopefully it picks up soon.

Up to ep 5:
I freaking love Wolfgang and Kala. LOVE. I will say that I think Wolfgang's storyline picks up and Kala's role too picks up. Lito I kinda ageee with. He's still the highlight of the show (ep 8 especially) but story itself is a little boring.

Paganmoon

Ending spoiler:

I feel like I must've blacked out, or missed an episode or something, ending came sort of out of nowhere.

Dany

Banned
5 episodes in and the show is quite cheesy in the second season. And trying to tackle all social issues with a hammer...

5 episodes in and the show is quite cheesy in the second season. And trying to tackle all social issues with a hammer...
This is where I'm at and yeah they are trying to tackle like every social issue known to man. Just take it easy a bit lol

Also since I'm in ep 5, what do people think of Kala
she is becoming a lot more unlikable with the fact that she's married and starts fucking Wolfgang. I did laugh my ass off when her husband was kissing him, and he laughed in bed though. :eek:

nOoblet16

I get that it's important to the show but they spend far too much time on the social issue, slow motion montages and really prolonged and frequent sex scenes that serve little purpose in being that frequent and long. We already know they all can feel and sense each other and it's great when they have sex but how many times have we seen these simultaneous long overdrawn sex scenes? As for the social issues, they tackle too many of them at the same time. The LGBT issues are the ones that get more time than anything else but since time is limited, it means others don't get much time to develop.

In short when I started watching the show it felt like I was watching a show with sci fi plot that also has social commentary now it feels like a social commentary with some sci fi plot shoved in.

psyfi

Banned
Finally getting around to season two, and the first episode ended sooo gooooooood. About to watch episode 2. :)

valeo

My only complaint with Season 2 was the ending. I actually stopped the episode and went back to see if I missed one..

AHA-Lambda

I have to agree, it's a decent show on the whole and for S1 that was enough but by now some 30 hours later it needs more.
The BPO main plot is rather sparse really in terms of time proportionally invested in it compared to the rest of the characters and its quite convoluted too.

Now I do admit it certainly doesn't help that I haven't watched S1 in so long, but little things like the rules of the sensate abilities are catching me out.
Like, I don't get like why some sensates can psychically see other sensates but at the same time others can't is lost on me (like
how did Riley connect with other sensates at her DJ set, like Mr Hoy, I thought you had to physically see them first? He clearly wasn't there in person.
).
Or really what the heck the whole deal going on with Angelica, Lila or Jonas is.

Confusing main plot aside though, it's focusing more of the character stories and many of the characters just aren't hitting it for me anymore.

Wolfgang's story is going nowhere now, and his relationship with Kala is just frustrating to watch.
Also, Lito is quickly becoming a very irritating character who just moans.
However, I do quite like Nomi and Sun, and especially Capheus, who has become more interesting this season; they're my highlights.

Note: I've not finished S2 yet but I'm up to Ep 8.

beasty

Kala went from being my favorite character to my least favorite this season.

Im only 7 seven episodes in, but it seems like her character has stagnated while everyone else continues to grow.

Razmos

Im only 7 seven episodes in, but it seems like her character has stagnated while everyone else continues to grow.
That changes, keep watching :p
Kala had a great role this season

Episode 7

That fight between Sun and the cop was awesome. Also, of course it's Todd. It's always a damn Todd.

Episode 8

Yo that whole restaurant scene was amazing. Why the Wachowskis so good at these action sequences? Lito was great as usual, haha.

Finally finished season 2 and I can without a doubt say I enjoyed it more than the first season.

Sun has gone to a character I didn't care much about to my favorite in the show. I just loved how despite all the shit she's dealt with she isn't the dour character I was expecting out of her. That scene when she's walking up to her brother after the crash was golden.

Interestingly enough, my appreciation for Kala went in the exact opposite direction. I didn't care for her or her story at all in S1, but she quickly grew into one of my favorite of the 8 this season. I really adore how introspective she is.

Skinpop

Love this show. Dont mind the "heavyhandedness" or the main plot moving along slowly. I just can't help but loving the enthusiasm and characters.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Kala's still one of my favourite sensates. I don't necessarily agree with some of her choices but her hasn't stagnated for me.

Joeku

Okay, just finished the season. That it is setting up a third season for so many storylines instead of the coming together that season 1 had made the whole thing less cohesive and an effort in edging.

And I'm afraid this is going to sound shitty (and I may be misremembering season one), but while I agree with all of the politics of the show wholeheartedly, so much of it this season came out by characters soapboxing and conversing almost directly to the audience about it, rather than by the situations presenting them and the ideas being explored within the material. It felt almost artificial in that regard, and that really bums me out, a notable exception being
Capheus doing his rally speech, because while it was soapboxing, it was also literally soapboxing. That at least gave it some weight.

Someone said that a Lito and Crew sitcom would be great, and I agree, insofar as that is definitely the best "comedy + heart" dynamic of people actually in each others' presence in the show. They're great.

Edit: If I had to guess, I'd say my preference for season 1 would be the same part of me that feels like the best part of superhero movies is the sequence where they learn and explore the extent of their superpowers. The first season was a slow build up of that.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, how the damn hell did
Will & Co know how to find Whispers and Jonas
??

Just out of nowhere a grand hiest-style plan just happened from thin air =/

And where is
Wolfgang
?

EDIT: k, full thoughts on season still echo similar to the above, it's above average and I hesitate to give it more than that. If there wasn't another season of this I just don't think I'd care.

Some of the individual character stuff is pretty good (I really like Nomi & Capheus, and also Sun and Lito (who got alot better near the end)). Wolfgang and Kala however feel very pointless, and Riley & Will are merely catalysts for the very slow and unsatisfying main plot.

We finally know some backstory of BPO but that's not really enough, and I simply have more questions than I did before from the end of S1 (like new character Lila's entire purpose for example), and it's giving me bad vibes akin to Lost.
The stuff with Jonas and Angelica for me is particularly frustrating too when it comes up, and the obfuscation around both of them is just getting annoying
(Jonas is clearly a villain and it's been obvious for ages, plus why do we keep seeing Angelica all the time when she's dead?).

Much of this can be said that it's all part of a mystery to be revealed later sure, but it's been 2 quite long seasons now and I feel like not much has really moved forward since S1 in the main plot tbh.

It's a pretty show with some good character moments, but it's grander sci-fi main arc is pants.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

It 's like the exact opposite for me. Didn't give a shit about her last season, but she really grew on me this season and has become one of my favorites.

Edit:
Interestingly enough, my appreciation for Kala went in the exact opposite direction. I didn't care for her or her story at all in S1, but she quickly grew into one of my favorite of the 8 this season. I really adore how introspective she is.
Yup, same!

Theorry

This was abit weird tho in episode 10

No idea what Bak his plan was. Instead of just going with the cops.

Overall very enjoyable season and <3 Kala.

Btw very much understand why season 2 took so long. The logistics of everything must be crazy.

jb1234

It's a pretty show with some good character moments, but it's grander sci-fi main arc is pants.

Yeah, the BPO stuff has always been the show's weak link, to the point where I basically zone out whenever the exposition starts. I watch the show to admire the cinematography and bask in the many emotional moments.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Full season spoilers
I see everyone else is confused by the final episode. So bizarre and rushed. Hopefully they do a flash back in the Third Season which will probably never happen

It's supposed to be a 5 year plan, yeah.

... fuck... no way this happens. Hopefully the finale means they can reduce the budget going forward so we can actually get some resolution.

TDLink

Since they had to renegotiate contracts due to the long production time, I hope they do the "We'll renew you for two seasons that you can shoot back to back and that's the end" type of renewal.

Only one more, third, season doesn't feel like it would be enough to properly tie up everything they've opened up. If they had a 5 year plan, 4 years is a better compromise and easier to condense whatever the grand plan was.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it, how the damn hell did
Will & Co know how to find Whispers and Jonas
??

Just out of nowhere a grand hiest-style plan just happened from thin air =/

And where is
Wolfgang
?

EDIT: k, full thoughts on season still echo similar to the above, it's above average and I hesitate to give it more than that. If there wasn't another season of this I just don't think I'd care.

Some of the individual character stuff is pretty good (I really like Nomi & Capheus, and also Sun and Lito (who got alot better near the end)). Wolfgang and Kala however feel very pointless, and Riley & Will are merely catalysts for the very slow and unsatisfying main plot.

We finally know some backstory of BPO but that's not really enough, and I simply have more questions than I did before from the end of S1 (like new character Lila's entire purpose for example), and it's giving me bad vibes akin to Lost.
The stuff with Jonas and Angelica for me is particularly frustrating too when it comes up, and the obfuscation around both of them is just getting annoying
(Jonas is clearly a villain and it's been obvious for ages, plus why do we keep seeing Angelica all the time when she's dead?).

Much of this can be said that it's all part of a mystery to be revealed later sure, but it's been 2 quite long seasons now and I feel like not much has really moved forward since S1 in the main plot tbh.

Full season:
Will has been planning this for a long time. Plus he had all the files and data that he stole from Whispers. As for Jonas, he never hid were he was from them (Nomi and Will visit them as his apartment after they find out he is alive), plus I assume Nomi and Bug could easily find him. With Wolfgang being captured, the plan was accelerated and adjusted.

My guess is that Wolfgang is in another part of the facility but the Cluster does not know where he is so he's not rescued just yet.

Lila's purpose was clearly explained I thought. She and her cluster has their own agenda with creating a city for sensates. You are either with her or against her. Lila and her cluster are an enemy for Wolfgang and co.

They explained Angelica too. She's the Cluster's mother - they can see echos of her memories. I'm not entirely sure how it works when it's not a memory but it definitely has to do with being their mother.

I will fight you on Wolfgang and Kala - I adore them.

I don't know. I felt quite a bit was answered from S1 while setting up other mysteries.

Sai-kun

Banned
full season spoilers:
umm.....that wasn't where i expected the show to end...wat

also i feel like i need to rewatch that whole last sequence because it feels like it should have had a solid few minutes of explanation after the fact. feels like a a half finished episode.

I have a theory about the directional intent behind how the final part of the finale played out. I don't think it was "rushed" at all. But rather...

There are a lot of intentional gaps, and they pop up at the end and move very quickly because you only see what they "want" you to see. In a sense, the direction is mimicking how it would feel like if you were on BPO's side, and without you realizing it, the entire cluster went on blockers and planned completely behind your back to act together in person together. That's something we haven't really seen in practice. I think they teased a bit of the possibility of such actions when Will and Riley were together in the middle of the season, she Lito used Riley to create a decoy so Will could get away. But as an aggressive attack force split into teams and acting together while entirely blocked? It would probably feel a bit like this. :)

This is a super good way of thinking about it, and it makes me feel a lot better about the whole episode. The only thing is that
if the episode were really like seeing things from BPO's side, I wish there would have been more of a tonal shift that kind of signals that we should feel like we're seeing things from BPO's perspective. Like, if the episode had a bit more focus on Jonas just doing his thing when he notices Whispers getting the shit beat out of him. What you posted totally makes sense, I'm just being nitpicky. I was fucking yelling as they all met and shit was going down. It was legit pretty epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom