• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 Christmas Special |OT| It's time to come together - Netflix December 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

In for more Nomi Marks. She's the best in this show.

Her scene in season one with her mother insisting on calling her Michael pretty much changed everything about how I feel regarding transgendered rights.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
After Marco Polo got 86'd, I'm worried that Netflix is using this Christmas special as a canary in the coal mine to decide whether or not to cancel the show. I have to imagine that this is now the most expensive show all around that Netflix produces and I don't think it was that popular. :(

Really really hoping the creators have planned several different storylines just in case the show gets nixed. Like maybe if the second season tanks they can wrap it up in a two hour finale?

Any one know of a good season 1 recap? The official Netflix on posted in the OP is more like a trailer. I want something that goes into the plot points overall.

I saw season one but want a refresher.

Razmos

Capheus's conversation about changing faces and the importance of faces was so in-your-face (ha!) about it, I loved it. Him just brushing off him looking different with "a new barbershop" was quite funny.

Zomba13

Capheus's conversation about changing faces and the importance of faces was so in-your-face (ha!) about it, I loved it. Him just brushing off him looking different with "a new barbershop" was quite funny.

Yup. That was great. I think it'd be weird if they didn't call attention to how different he looks but by calling attention to it it's them basically saying "we know, just go with it".

Platy

I'm fairly sure Sun wasn't in those scenes in the first season either. I just rewatched it and I don't recall her, and I'm not sure if I remember Kala either.

Sun wasn't in a sex scene, but it had her taking a bath so at least some nudity she was ok

Razmos

Fuck the birthday montage was fantastic. My favourite thing about this show is the way characters interact, and the way they make each others lives better
My favourite moments in this show is when the characters have a heart to heart or make each other smile or help each other out, and the birthday montages with all of them together having fun and celebrating how connected they are is just.. damn, it warms my heart.

This show brings out the sentimental softy in me that just thinks "We are all not so different, no matter who we are or where we are from" and it's a really special feeling. It helps that the cast is great and everything else works so well too. Such a unique show with such an amazing message that we all need to hear right now.

A Christmas special seemed like a strange choice for this show, but thinking about it, it's not at all.

nOoblet16

Lol the recasted Van Damme is a big guy, the old one had a happy face and looked like an avg dude, this guy seems like he likes his protein shakes. Also the height difference between him and his buddy was visible.

Btw since they had already filmed a bit when the recast happened, was the recast the reason for season 2 being delayed to 2017? Cause it's unusual for a TV show, a Netflix show at that to not return exactly a year later.

tauroxd

I liked the Lana cameo :) and the episode as a whole!

the scene "introducing" new Capheus was funny and supid and the same time... but like it was said here, it was kind of necessary not to say anything like they do on GoT.

I WANT MORE SENSE8!

An-Det

Just finished it up, really loved it. The special showcased everything I loved about the show, the ways the characters interact and enrich one another. The full new season can't come soon enough, it was really nice to see the characters again.

kiguel182

The new dude is tall! Kinda takes away from the small stature of the older dude. Shame they recasted him but I was on board by the end of the episode.

It was a nice (if maybe too long) special. Lots of cute and fun moments and nice action scenes.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it.

I really liked how they strengthened the bond between the sensates. Like how Wolfgang and Sun had no scenes but now they are visiting each other.

Lito's mom was great. And I love Hernando and how he dealt with the jerk of a student.

I'm not sure about Will and the heroin use to hide from Whispers....that seems like a bad idea though I get why he's doing it.

New Capheus has a different vibe but I liked him. It's a bit weird though.

I've missed these characters. May is forever away.

scarlet

Kinda weird out with that capheus scene. I think it's unnecessary for them addressing the recast by saying you look different lately.

Lito <3

The Lito love in this thread <3

I liked the Lana cameo :)
Dug this!

The Christmas special was amazing, and I'm eager to rewatch it, but today I was LTTP on the news about the Nomi actress, Jamie Clayton, having what sounds to be a significant role in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I ended up most excited about that. I didn't place the voice originally in ANDROMEDA INITIATIVE – Orientation Briefing

Def want to share some thoughts on the special (and series) once I rewatch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I almost wish they'd have saved this for the rest of the season, since it really feels like set up more than anything else.

I forgot how tight the editing was for the multi-person fight scenes though. It still looks cool. lol

(Also, new Capheus I guess?)

nOoblet16

I actually never saw the point of Sun when we had Will and especially Wolfgang for hand to hand fighting as well as weapons.

But I guess the Wachowskis need a martial arts fighter for the cool looking fights scenes in their movie/show.

TasTokyo

Great special. Lito and Hernando remain the best for me. Their love story is just great and both are ridiculously charming.

The new Capheus I'm not sure on. The dude is too big! Part of his charm was I felt like a sort of nervous energy. The new actor doesn't get many scenes but I feel like a lot of his scenes in season 1 wouldn't work so well with the new actor. It would be less of a joke if the muscular guy showed up to fight someone.

I actually never saw the point of Sun when we had Will and especially Wolfgang for hand to hand fighting as well as weapons.

But I guess the Wachowskis need a martial arts fighter for the cool looking fights scenes in their movie/show.

I see Sun having more of a mature, centering ability instead of being just a fighter. In moments of crisis, the others go to her.

Loved the special!

Great special. Lito and Hernando remain the best for me. Their love story is just great and both are ridiculously charming.

The new Capheus I'm not sure on. The dude is too big! Part of his charm was I felt like a sort of nervous energy. The new actor doesn't get many scenes but I feel like a lot of his scenes in season 1 wouldn't work so well with the new actor. It would be less of a joke if the muscular guy showed up to fight someone.

I agree with this 100%! I went total media blackout on Sense8 except for the release date. Overall I really enjoyed it. At first I was like "meh" on the giant dance scene but then I was like this makes sense as it brings them all together as a person and it's part of the Directos' MO (see Matrix). So I was good with it. The storytelling was tighter and it gave me everything I needed.

nOoblet16

I see Sun having more of a mature, centering ability instead of being just a fighter. In moments of crisis, the others go to her.

Loved the special!
Isn't that kind of what Riley does? She's afterall the mother of the cluster and her speciality is emotional guidance/stability.

tribal24

Banned
love lito and hernando story arc best one imo. Everyone works well together though and i feel like the new capheus fits better then the old one. I don't know why but this guy fits better with the cast. This show definitely grows on you i just watched the whole season in 2 days and I watched the christmas episode can't wait for season 2.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Such a great show, it's like nothing else.

Amazing how it can go from funny, to sexy, to making you cry, to kick-ass action movie all within a few minutes and yet it all flows naturally.

tomtom94

I could tell it was the first two episodes of the next series crammed together, but Christmas Special was very enjoyable. Poor Lito :(

Still one of my fav Netflix originals, possibly my favorite. I like the new capheus but the old one fit the character better imo.

Really hope that
sun gets out of jail soon as it hampers her character for me. Cause eventually the prison struggle will get old.

Dali

Watching now. Forgot how heavy handed they treat the social issues. Really starting to dislike this show, but iirc I wasn't too big of fan to begin with. Is there any sort of plot in this Xmas special? I just finished half "watching" a ten minute rave scene followed by an orgy.

Dali

Just finished it. I was reminded how I finished season 1. The show is 50/50 garbage versus compelling. At times I just want to quit it mid show, but I power through and sometimes I'm rewarded, sometimes not. I think under different direction this show could be great, but as it is its barely passable for all the commentary.

Frodo

After Marco Polo got 86'd, I'm worried that Netflix is using this Christmas special as a canary in the coal mine to decide whether or not to cancel the show. I have to imagine that this is now the most expensive show all around that Netflix produces and I don't think it was that popular. :(

I renewed my membership just for it. I hope Netflix sees that. lol

And now that I've watched it I'll say it was worth it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Love love love this show. perfect teaser, can't wait for season 2

Lol the recasted Van Damme is a big guy, the old one had a happy face and looked like an avg dude, this guy seems like he likes his protein shakes. Also the height difference between him and his buddy was visible.

agreed. Old Capheus was... more handsome? The new guy's acting is alright but i think it's poor casting :(

Will is tactical fighting, Wolfgang is dirty gritty fighting, Sun is finesse fighting. The last scene in particular emphasized how necessary her skills are in addition to Wolfgangs. but I'm biased as she's my fave. Can't wait for her to get out and wreck the brother

duckroll

Just watched it. Well, that was kinda.... middling. There are parts I really, really liked, and there were parts that just dragged. I don't really get the point of this being a "Christmas Special" either, since it is clearly the first two episodes of the second season fused together, and for some reason the rest of the season isn't coming until May. Everything is just a lead in to stuff that's going to happen later in the season, and there's nothing really self contained or even thematically cohesive for it to count as a "special" imo.

Still, it was great to see the cast together again. I think they have great chemistry. The new guy replacing the old Capheus is alright. Feels a bit more serious than the previous actor though. Maybe he just needs to loosen up a bit. The cinematography and the choreography of the action is pretty on point and fantastic, but hopefully the script work on the rest of the season is better.

Frodo

Apparently they decided to release the "Christmas Special" because they didn't want to leave fans waiting for 2 years for more of the series. And it takes a lot of effort to edit the scenes (filmed in a ridiculous amount of different locations across the entire globe) so they need the time to put the show together. I quite liked having a tease now, instead of having to wait until May. I don't feel the story has progressed much from where it was, however. But it was still nice to watch.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can't say I'm still watching this for the story. I mean I'd like to see some progression (Sun is wasted in a prison; Whispers has to spit out his plan for their abilities at some point ec) but it's all about the experience of watching and the emotions all the mind-bending scenes provoke.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just finished it. I was reminded how I finished season 1. The show is 50/50 garbage versus compelling. At times I just want to quit it mid show, but I power through and sometimes I'm rewarded, sometimes not. I think under different direction this show could be great, but as it is its barely passable for all the commentary.

There's really not that much social commentary in this show. I have never understood that complaint. Sure there's some, and it's the type we're not used to seeing in a mainstream show, but it's pretty much out of the way after the first couple episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom