• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

The handling of language was explained in one of the episodes at least. I've not seen anyone in this thread bringing up how messed up the handling of timezones is, though.

I thought they managed the timezones well, it wasn't day everywhere at once, dawn in London, night somewhere else. Was day when Sun was walking in Seoul, and night for Capheus in Nairobi. It actually stood out to me that they actually handled it pretty well, unlike most other shows and movies (Heroes and it's global solar eclipse, stands out here).

What exactly was poorly handled though? Something I missed maybe.

SL128

I thought they managed the timezones well, it wasn't day everywhere at once, dawn in London, night somewhere else. Was day when Sun was walking in Seoul, and night for Capheus in Nairobi. It actually stood out to me that they actually handled it pretty well, unlike most other shows and movies (Heroes and it's global solar eclipse, stands out here).

What exactly was poorly handled though? Something I missed maybe.
I didn't remember those, just scenes where it seemed to be day for everyone involved. Maybe there were inconsistencies, or I just remembered things incorrectly.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ended up watching this a second time because I wanted the wife to watch it. It's even better the second time in some respects, I definitely picked up a lot of stuff the second time that I didn't notice the first time.

She absolutely loved the show as well, we binged over the course of 3 nights.

Can't wait for season 2.

Curious was the holocaust quote from the show real? I haven't been able to find a source for it online.

"Is the holocaust an aberration or a reflection of who we really are?"

"ist der holocaust ein irrweg oder ein spiegelung unseres selbst"

Finished the first season, gf and I liked it but had a lot of issues with it.

The show had a lot of potential in the beginning to do some great stuff, and I liked it more when everyone was still coming together and figuring out how they could help each other.

Unfortunately that all just resulted in the show relying too heavily on action sequences. The overwhelming majority of the time, they just used one another to help them kill or beat someone up.

After a while it kinda irked me, these main characters kinda racked up a body count higher than any of the other badguys in the show were shown to have lol. I like action shows but this series kinda felt like it'd be more than that, in the end I kinda felt like it glorified violence as the easiest solution for these people despite having this really amazing mental power.

Hated the last episode but it didn't kill my hope for a good second season. The cast needs to be thinned though, I could have done without a few of them by the end of the season and it would have been interesting to have an episode devoted to the cluster having to deal with a death.

Currently watching Episode 5 (Demons). The show had a pretty slow start (almost stopped watching after Ep. 2), but things gets good really quickly after Ep. 3.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The cast needs to be thinned though, I could have done without a few of them by the end of the season and it would have been interesting to have an episode devoted to the cluster having to deal with a death.

Season 1 was the origin story, so it wouldn't have made sense to kill anyone off. I'm sure one of them will die eventually though.

The thing about killing a character is all about the payoff. The series started out with a death but the characters didnt care because they didnt know who she was and we dont either other than she awakened these 8. The show needs to build up these relationships and let the characters see the advantages to being a Sensate. When one of them dies the other characters will respond in meaningful ways and so will the audience.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The thing about killing a character is all about the payoff. The series started out with a death but the characters didnt care because they didnt know who she was and we dont either other than she awakened these 8. The show needs to build up these relationships and let the characters see the advantages to being a Sensate. When one of them dies the other characters will respond in meaningful ways and so will the audience.

Agreed.

Yeah it would always be better with more development. some characters just felt very slow to develop, so I was expecting at least one shock death and have an episode dealing with each of them experiencing it or something, because that is surely an important part of being a sensate. Near the end I really did think that Wolfgang was going to bite it.

I'm cool with how things played out for the most part though.

Goldrush

Hate to see anyone dies just because I think the show is at its best when each characters pursued their own arc rather than converge to a singular plotline. Kill off a character and the show loses not only the character, but the entire genre represented by that person.

Talking about killing characters already? wow. I don't want Sense7 or Sense6, I want Sense8. Plus if one of them dies that means they would have royally fucked up in protecting each other.

Razmos

Who knows what could happen, if the cast starts thinning they might reveal that Riley has the power to connect clusters together or something, and they might end up absorbing another, nearly destroyed cluster into theirs.

partime

Watched the karaoke episode, oh my I'm in love with all the characters now! Even the euro-trash guy.
Haven't felt this way since breaking bad!

Just finished the whole season, I thought it was great! It could have been cut a little shorter in places but it is all world building, so it is ok. Glad to hear that season 2 is a go!

In the final shot, I loved how
all 8 were present in the boat but as the shot circled around again, it was just Riley and Will.

Just finished, took me a while.

Thought Kala was the least interesting along with Riley but no wonder Riley was messed up, damn. :( I was hoping that as the show went on they would all start gaining the others' knowledge and everything though I guess if that happened they wouldn't really need each other beyond that. I felt it kind of dragged and a bit pretentious, I hope this was just act one or whatever and the story picks up in the second season. I wanted creepy grandpa to get mind fucked and turned into a vegetable. Actually Sun's story wasn't so much interesting beyond her kicking ass, she was everyone's but Wolfgang's crutch in action scenes.

They really loved their birth shots.

Heysoos

So... What? Do they just keep Will unconscious for the rest of his life? Haha. I guess season 2 will deal with that. I liked it. I got hyped whenever they would help each other.

Ushay

1 more episode to go, the show had a very slow start with some (I felt) forced themes about sexuality, but it's really come into it's own now. I've come to like every character especially Lito, Capheus and Sun.

And my god, that Wolfgang + Lito scene. The rocket launcher. Best.Scene.Ever.

Frodo

So... What? Do they just keep Will unconscious for the rest of his life? Haha. I guess season 2 will deal with that. I liked it. I got hyped whenever they would help each other.

Just finished season 1 and that is what I want to know.

They can take him unconscious to some place he won't know where he is and keep him there, so if he doesn't know, bad guy also doesn't know. The other alternative is to kill the bad guy.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the show and I'm glad it is getting a second season. There were some really good scenes (sex scene, talk in the museum scene) and I love the characters interactions (so I hope they don't kill anyone just for shock value). And I also need more Lito, Hernando and Daniela. Loved that trio!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just finished the season. Don't think I've been exposed to so many babies pushed out of vaginas in a tv show before. But on a more serious note, still somewhat interested but man is this series bloated. Way way way too much scenes not adding shit to the storyline. The series finale should've happened in episode 5-6. Too many characters not really adding much to the general plot. Laughed out loud at how the showrunners seemed to think the same about Kala, so suddenly she's building kitchen curry powder bombs and giving medical advice (here's some shots of her tinkering in a lab, see, she knows these things). Meh, I sound bitter, I guess I was expecting more. Who knows they find their groove in season 2.

I gotta say though, Hernando is the man. Even though his crisis with Lido wasn't really mattering much in the grand narrative, I always gotta root for Hernando. He the man.

The creators say they have a five season plan for this show, but I honestly don't know if this show will have enough viewers to carry them to the finish line. I think of Carnivale, which had a small but dedicated fanbase. I'm afraid its ambition will outstrip its ability to reach its audience.

Platy

The creators say they have a five season plan for this show, but I honestly don't know if this show will have enough viewers to carry them to the finish line. I think of Carnivale, which had a small but dedicated fanbase. I'm afraid its ambition will outstrip its ability to reach its audience.

We still never heard of Netflix canceling any original show ... so I think it is pretty solid, specialy considering how much the show was received in non usa places like south america

Bold One

Very Good show, interesting premise which is becoming a rare thing in Television these days...

Looking forward to Season 2, they need to dial back the gratuitous sex and violence though, there is no need to try and out do HBO

The same schedule they had last season, it seems. First up is Berlin.
I spoke with Miguel Angel Silvestre last month and he told me they started filming on new year at midnight, I believe he said Stockholm, when the bells chime or something like that.

Or maybe it was Berlin, not sure (or maybe it changed).

Roo

I spoke with Miguel Angel Silvestre last month and he told me they started filming on new year at midnight, I believe he said Stockholm, when the bells chime or something like that.

Or maybe it was Berlin, not sure (or maybe it changed).
It is definitely Berlin.
Alfonso Herrera (Hernando) posted a pic of the Brandenburg Gate on his Twitter account with a Sense8 hashtag.

ZombAid82

It is definitely Berlin.
Alfonso Herrera (Hernando) posted a pic of the Brandenburg Gate on his Twitter account with a Sense8 hashtag.

Does anybody know, exactly where they are shooting?
I live in Berlin and would like to go to a set.
I searched a little bit on google, but didn't found anything related to sense8 berlin and 2015.

ivysaur12

Banned
Does anybody know, exactly where they are shooting?
I live in Berlin and would like to go to a set.
I searched a little bit on google, but didn't found anything related to sense8 berlin and 2015.

There's a reason that stuff's not really public knowledge :p

Seems like Marco Polo this one ain't making a year turn around

Last year, filming went from June 2014 - January 2015 (mostly because Iceland wasn't as snowy as they had anticipated in November/December) so I wouldn't expect season 2 until laaaaaate 2016, but more likely 2017.

ivysaur12

Banned
Huh? I thought filming was delayed until March next year.

Nope. Everyone's in Berlin now. Looks like they just did a table read, and you wouldn't do that more than a few days (lol) before you actually started to shoot, more likely the day beforehand.

And on the 10th, Tina Desai said they start shooting in 20 days. So.

How would you even do a table read for this??? "Okay, everyone turn to the Berlin scenes only." (I assume you'd just read through the whole thing, but wouldn't every script have different Berlin scenes? 12 HOUR TABLE READ STRAP THE FUCK IN EVERYONE)

near

Gold Member
Sweet. So they've clearly got a budget to keep filming at multiple locations? S1 was great for a few reasons one of them was the diversity in settings for the characters, so I hope that's the case here again.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They start filming on the 30th, if anyone cares!
Huh, for some reason I thought they had already begun, especially since the cast announced S2 back in August (the 8th or so? can't remember)

Orgies > Gays > Everything Else > Daryl Hannah > Birthing

Solid B-
Now that you mention her, I found quite interesting that Daryl Hannah was billed every single episode along the main cast when she had like 5 minutes total screen time.
The perks of being the only recognizable name I guess.

Last year, filming went from June 2014 - January 2015 (mostly because Iceland wasn't as snowy as they had anticipated in November/December) so I wouldn't expect season 2 until laaaaaate 2016, but more likely 2017.
Damn, that's too far away :(
I mean, expected because this thing is likely quite a bitch to film, but still D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom