• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 episodes in and Kala's storyline better pay off because it's putting me to sleep. everything else is fun, though I can't help but feel that a show just about Capheus or Lito would be much more enjoyable

Capheus, Sun and Lito are by far the most interesting characters IMO. Kala doesn't really get a lot to do the whole series unfortunately. I mean, her story resolves but I just didn't think it was especially compelling.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix is borrowing heavily and sacrificing profits to increase the quantity and quality of shows. And it’s determined to appeal to “multiple demographics and all genres” as opposed to “just a handful of shows meant to appeal to the coasts,” Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos says.

He doesn’t fear that Netflix will set a pattern, requiring it to shovel additional dollars into original programming as far as the eye can see in order to keep the company moving up. “As these shows grow into their second, third and fourth seasons, they’re more attractive on their own.”

And Sarandos sees big opportunities ahead to amortize the costs across different markets. Orange Is The New Black and the Wachowskis’ Sense8 “have enjoyed great success all over the world.”

Source

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Capheus, Sun and Lito are by far the most interesting characters IMO. Kala doesn't really get a lot to do the whole series unfortunately. I mean, her story resolves but I just didn't think it was especially compelling.
Yeah, I liked her character but she didn't have much to work with in terms of an actual plot for the most part of the season. Lots of potential for a second season though (as is the case with everyone in the show).

Good to hear about the interest in appealing to different audiences worldwide. I hope it pays off for them, the multicultural aspect of Sense8 is delightful. Also nice to see the "HBO approach" of giving time for the shows to grow instead of pulling the plug too soon.

BamfMeat

I just finished this show. Holy shit. I don't like "tv" shows but this one grabbed me in a big way - so big that I can't seem to stop talking about it to people.

Also, Lito's storyline was by far the best one. The Riley/Will one was a bit too cliche for me.

And I hope Sun
fucking makes sure her brother pays for everything, including killing her father. The man needs to burn.

Also, questions!
With her popping another shot into Will at the end, does that mean that she keeps drugging him up so Whispers can't see them? And am I to assume they were going to an island to hide?

SL128

Also, questions!
With her popping another shot into Will at the end, does that mean that she keeps drugging him up so Whispers can't see them? And am I to assume they were going to an island to hide?

She is continuing to drug him, but their course is unknown.
I hope that let's Kala do more.

Just finished the show yesterday, and I thought it had some really great scenes (especially regarding the international-rainbow cast) but also some pretty *meh* ones.
As a German all the Scenes around "Wolfgang" have been really cringeworthy to me and there was some really bad acting in those imo.
In general the show has been trying a bit too hard in some areas.

The international cast and setting and the interesting basic idea saved it for me, though.

I was a bit weirded out by the choice of language-use in the beginning and I'm still not sure what to make of it now. I think I would have preferred the characters to speak in their mother-tongue, only switching to the "heavily accented English" when communicating with other Sens8tes, but I suppose this would have been way to difficult to film and work with.

Looking forward to season 2, though. I think there's a lot of room for improvement still.

Oh and I really hate Will Gorski, the police guy. They couldn't have succeeded at creating a more stereotypical, American, goody-guy police man if they tried. Quite disappointing because he
seemed to be shaped out to become some kind of leader of the group? Let's hope they keep him drugged for most of the second season ;-)

mantidor

So I'm starting to watch this, in episode 6 at the moment.

The writing is really bad, sorry, there's no way around it, "this is NSA level!", "at least he never hit me!", uurgh, terrible. And I have a huge problem with the non english speakers, the Mexico part is sometimes a bit insulting. I feel like the writers have only seen these places through movies and soaps because Mexico feels completely like a telenovela and Mumbai like a Bollywood movie. The only characters that feel real are the trans girl and her girlfriend in SA, but that is for obvious reasons. It sticks out, a lot.

But
Cepheus becoming the transporter
was adorable even if it's completely implausible and ridiculous, so I'll just keep watching.

And what is with the Wachowskis and orgies, god damn.
I don't know what was weirder, everyone becoming bisexual or them leaving out the people they left out of it.

Goldrush

Just finished episode 10 and, relative to other episodes, have few loose ends. I want to avoid getting a cliffhanger while waiting for season 2. Is this a good place to stop or will there be closure in the last episode?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just finished episode 10 and, relative to other episodes, have few loose ends. I want to avoid getting a cliffhanger while waiting for season 2. Is this a good place to stop or will there be closure in the last episode?

Season 1 has an ending but obviously there are still loose ends that will hopefully be dealt with in coming seasons.

SL128

There are more things that get wrapped up than questions that are raised.

I basically marathoned it all today.

I liked it a lot. It was pretty cheesy at points, but the multiple locations and nationalities presented was great. It was a super, super slow burn but I've come to realize i enjoy those kinds of shows so long as there's something to make up for it. For Sense8, it was the way scenes played out when the different sensates were beginning to discover each other. It kept me intrigued all the way through.

Here's hoping for season 2.

mantidor

Finished!

Lito's story was the worst, I don't know what you people are seeing there, you are too easily distracted by the sexiness :p

The series is ok, despite the abysmal beginning it really picks up, I feel it has great potential but it has some rough edges that I hope they can work out, because they have the right actors and the main idea can be really great if the write it well, but sometimes they come up with really cringe worthy lines and situations, that needs a lot of work. Van Damn* is everything and I'm following mainly because of him.

*That spelling kills me every time.

carlsojo

Just watched the finale with the wife before I left for work this evening. I think this is my favorite Netflix show after maybe Kimmy Schmidt. This show is just so much fucking fun.

Some favorite parts:
Lito and Wolfgang teaming up! So good. Really anytime Lito was doing anything it was great.

Sun kicking that guy off the bridge! Sun is best.

What's going on?

Moff

Finished!

Lito's story was the worst, I don't know what you people are seeing there, you are too easily distracted by the sexiness :p

I think people just like the characters. lito, his boyfriend and the girl are super likeable.
I don't think any of the stories were really good. van damme's was probably the best one, but I feel this is not a show you watch for the story. at least in season 1.

Croc

Banned
The writing is really bad, sorry, there's no way around it, "this is NSA level!", "at least he never hit me!", uurgh, terrible. And I have a huge problem with the non english speakers, the Mexico part is sometimes a bit insulting. I feel like the writers have only seen these places through movies and soaps because Mexico feels completely like a telenovela and Mumbai like a Bollywood movie. The only characters that feel real are the trans girl and her girlfriend in SA, but that is for obvious reasons. It sticks out, a lot.

For whatever reason I think this is definitely intentional. When we first started watching, my husband (who likes watching Bollywood films) pointed out how Kala's story (at points, and most obviously during that dancing scene) was shot like Bollywood films are.

Razmos

For whatever reason I think this is definitely intentional. When we first started watching, my husband (who likes watching Bollywood films) pointed out how Kala's story (at points, and most obviously during that dancing scene) was shot like Bollywood films are.
Yeah, i definitely think so. I think it was most obvious with how Lito's story basically became a telenovella/action film by the end of it as well.

Wolfgang's story also became increasingly ludicrous and "heist" movie-ish.

I certainly think it's intentional that they were going for different styles with each characters stories.

mantidor

I think people just like the characters. lito, his boyfriend and the girl are super likeable.
I don't think any of the stories were really good. van damme's was probably the best one, but I feel this is not a show you watch for the story. at least in season 1.

Personally I was pleasantly surprised (and shocked) how Riley's story played out, her past and how she got to be who she is later, not to mention how beautifully it was shot
the whole part about the Iceland mountains,
so I don't think they were all bad, is just that the difference from one to the other is huge.

rexor0717

This show has had staying power in my head longer than most shows have recently. Its rare for a show to have so many likeable characters, and it comes together so well at the end. I'd be massively disappointed if this doesn't get a second season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I think what is taking long is that maybe Netflix is going all out and trying for the full five seasons. Probably have to nail down all the details because the show is expensive to make.

rocK`

Banned
Just finished. Wonder how they are going to continue the series, seems like a hell of a thing they need to figure out.

Also, not a huge fan of the amount of endangerment each sensate is in. I know it's a TV show, but its trying hard to connect to real lives, do people often find themselves in shoot outs in 1v10 situations walking out without a scratch?

bah, I don't care for the numbers, if they made it more realistic.

Anyway, fantastic show. Really liked how they basically made Charles Xavier, the TV show.

I think what is taking long is that maybe Netflix is going all out and trying for the full five seasons. Probably have to nail down all the details because the show is expensive to make.

I really wouldn't mind the delayed renewal announcement if that is the case. I absolutely loved the show despite its shortcomings. The highs more than made up for the lows and I can't say that for a lot of shows lately.

Anyway, do it Netflix! I even upgraded my subscription to 4 screens to have three other friends watch the show.

Dalek

11357408_715839965212119_1037572342_n.jpg

This should be the S2 OT thread name.

OR:

tumblr_nr6gwppYx21tyuriho2_r1_500.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The same thing they've been saying for the last few weeks: "we're cautiously optimistic".

Also, they've apparently backtracked on the whole 5 season plan thing.

They better renew for at least one more season. Hemlock got three damn seasons.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Re: the 5 season plan:

Old stance:

As we were developing the first season, we ended up looking at a rough five-year structure with year one being kind of the origin story for our characters. And we know year two. I put together a 30-page document that has all the key points we want to hit for year two. And with luck we’ll do five years. One never knows. That’s certainly the plan.

New stance:

Responding to whether there was a five-year plan for the show, Straczynski said, “Heck, No! But we’re a long game kind of people. For ourselves, for the writing, we have to figure out where all this pays off. Season one is obviously about origins and season two has some particular arc and we figure it out from there.”

So it seems as though there was never a solid 5 season plan - he just hoped the show could go for 5 seasons, for some arbitrary reason.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sounds to me like they're not super confident it will even get another season, much less 5 seasons. :(

I would be extremely surprised if they didn't do at least one more season. Their entire model is predicated on having complete series for binging and Sense8 isn't complete yet.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If Marco Polo got a renewal despite it's ambitious budget and lackluster showing, Sense8 better have a greenlight for season 2.

My opinion may not be shared by many, but I haven't enjoyed a TV series as much as I have with Sense8 since Game of Thrones.

Korey

I think the thing is that, likeable as the characters are (and they're great), the series can't stand on just that.

The premise of them swapping around based on their talents and helping each other is the main gimmick of the series. And the execution was only so-so in season 1.

If they don't have any great or better ideas of how they can execute on that gimmick, then the show's not going to have any legs.

There's only so many times Sun does her martial arts thing to save everybody all the time. She should get an MVP award amongst her cluster.

And some of the characters are too specific...Kala only did one thing all season...Capheus is a good driver, etc. Not much they can work with there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom