• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

If you notice, Riley seemed to have the greatest control over the sensate powers than any of the others. She had the most interactions with the other characters, and she seems to draw them in and focus them (the singalong caused by her listening to music, all of them remembering their births because of her, all of them being together on the boat at the end)

that's a good point-she's almost like their "core" in a way, or their mother.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's been 38 days since Sense8 premiered.

Hemlock Grove took 61 days to get renewed for season 2 and 53 days to get renewed for season 3.

House of Cards took 34 days to get renewed for season 4.

Marco Polo took 26 days to get renewed for season 2.

Grace and Frankie took 18 days to get renewed for season 2.

Bloodline and Daredevil both took 11 days to get renewed for season 2.

BoJack Horseman took 4 days to get renewed for season 2.

A lot of that also has to do with the way that Netflix structures their deals with studios and when studios need to know if their shows are coming back or not. I believe J. Michael Straczynski mentioned that they should know in the next two weeks, which makes sense, given when the project was picked up to series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A lot of that also has to do with the way that Netflix structures their deals with studios and when studios need to know if their shows are coming back or not. I believe J. Michael Straczynski mentioned that they should know in the next two weeks, which makes sense, given when the project was picked up to series.

Makes sense.

Fevaweva

I just finished the
orgy
episode and I am really liking the show! It has its problems - some of the acting is all over the place - but overall it is interesting, well made and a breath of fresh air from all those anti-hero dramas that are popular these days. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

SL128

If you notice, Riley seemed to have the greatest control over the sensate powers than any of the others. She had the most interactions with the other characters, and she seems to draw them in and focus them (the singalong caused by her listening to music, all of them remembering their births because of her, all of them being together on the boat at the end)
This was also alluded to by her dad when we saw him for the first time. I can't find the quote, but he said something to her about how their ability to persevere and play their music lifts up everyone around them.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I suspect she is similar to Angelica. My guess is that only certain sensates are able to birth a cluster and Riley would be one of them. Angelica was also still appearing to members of the cluster after she was dead.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
MMLKF7z.png

Might be interesting.

Korey

The first thing everyone in the 8 would have done in real life is to immediately get everyone's numbers or follow each other. So they can skype whenever they want?

Only the cop and Riley did that and it was just a test and not because it's the most obvious and practical thing to immediately do.

KarmaCow

The first thing everyone in the 8 would have done in real life is to immediately get everyone's numbers or follow each other. So they can skype whenever they want?

Only the cop and Riley did that and it was just a test and not because it's the most obvious and practical thing to immediately do.

Why? They can literally experience what anyone else is experiencing at that very moment at any time. Their bond is much deeper than a phone number.

KarmaCow

I don't think that's on demand though?

What moment in the show do you think would have made more sense if they could skype someone? Pretty much at any moment of stress, emotional or physical danger, another person jumps in to help.

It might not be completely on demand but even the finale showed how far they've from the first episode when it comes to uniting together when a problem arises. While I'm sure their bond will develop over the series, part of what makes the relationships interesting is that it's not simply a contact list they can summon but rather an instinctual reaction based how each person is feeling and coping.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's on demand though?

It got more on demand towards the end of the season. Capheus deliberately went to Will when he thought he was going to die. Will called Wolfgang to drive the ambulance towards the helicopter. The more they understand it the more they were able to use it deliberately.

Platy

Did Riley contribute or help any of the other senses in the entire series? Seemed to me she was more of a burden than anything.

Riley didn't helped anybody and Sun wasn't helped by anybody.

Big plot development wise.

Sun was helped by van damme to do shit and Riley helped Van Damme to see how it is to fly on first class =P

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just finished watching it. The show had a lot of highs imo. It does have a ton of pacing problems (some scenes go on forever like the one with Sun and Will checking documents, some overt sex scenes that don't add much, and so on), and some of the plotlines took a while to get going, but I was still engaged despite its problems.

Most of my friends were lukewarm on it as a whole (haven't spoke to them about it yet since I was still watching, but it's the impression I got from FB posts, etc). Two of them even said the ending was crap, which now I think is just weird since the final episode was pretty great. Anyway, I'm happy this show clicked with me.

I felt increasingly invested in all the characters with each episode and nearly cried a few times in the second half of the season. Capheus scenes would always bring a smile to my face. Him, Sun and Kala were my favorites, but the whole cast came into their own. The action scenes were fun, and I dug all the "oh shit!" and lol-worthy moments.

What I really loved were the themes of tolerance and the celebration of differences between people. Yeah, it wasn't subtle, but I can't fault a show for trying what they did here. They aimed high and I felt that, aside from some bumps on the road, it all flowed naturally, sometimes even beautifully.

I hope it gets renewed. I haven't read any specifics, but it seems to be pretty expensive to produce. All in all a very interesting and fresh show, with some faults that can be easily fixed in a second season.

Bladenic

It's been 38 days since Sense8 premiered.

Hemlock Grove took 61 days to get renewed for season 2 and 53 days to get renewed for season 3.

House of Cards took 34 days to get renewed for season 4.

Marco Polo took 26 days to get renewed for season 2.

Grace and Frankie took 18 days to get renewed for season 2.

Bloodline and Daredevil both took 11 days to get renewed for season 2.

BoJack Horseman took 4 days to get renewed for season 2.

So other than Hemlock Shit, I was right.

Also read on some tumblr that netflix was worried about apparently low viewership, but this was a tumblr and I haven't seen anything like that officially.

Edit: after THAT scene in episode 10, I hope they cancel this show

Paganmoon

What moment in the show do you think would have made more sense if they could skype someone? Pretty much at any moment of stress, emotional or physical danger, another person jumps in to help.

It might not be completely on demand but even the finale showed how far they've from the first episode when it comes to uniting together when a problem arises. While I'm sure their bond will develop over the series, part of what makes the relationships interesting is that it's not simply a contact list they can summon but rather an instinctual reaction based how each person is feeling and coping.

The moments when they're in crowd standing around talking to themselves would be a good time to use a phone call or Skype instead. IIRC, the one visiting "talks in his head" but the one that's still in his or her original location, is talking out loud.

So mostly the convenience of not being labeled mad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also read on some tumblr that netflix was worried about apparently low viewership, but this was a tumblr and I haven't seen anything like that officially.

tumblr gon rumblr

The moments when they're in crowd standing around talking to themselves would be a good time to use a phone call or Skype instead. IIRC, the one visiting "talks in his head" but the one that's still in his or her original location, is talking out loud.

So mostly the convenience of not being labeled mad.

They could all just wear bluetooth earpieces.

Carcetti

I haven't finished the season yet but I'm surprised how much I like the show. It's slow burn, looks pretty, and most of all, is like an anti-depressant against so many other ultra-depressing and basically nihilistic tv shows around these days. Straczynski and Wachowskis work together nice because they're sentimental idealists and you know there's gonna be a 'get the hell outta my galaxy' moment coming somewhere along the way. Not everything works but I hope this goes to a second season at least.

Van Owen

Banned
I think I made it to the episode after the gay orgy before tapping out. Show is just utterly boring. And that orgy was super unnecessary.

Razmos

I think I made it to the episode after the gay orgy before tapping out. Show is just utterly boring. And that orgy was super unnecessary.
I fail to see how it was unnecessary since the question of how sex works when they are linked was going to come up eventually.

Also it was all over the damn place and not just "gay", not sure why you dwelled on that point.

Van Owen

Banned
I fail to see how it was unnecessary since the question of how sex works when they are linked was going to come up eventually.

Also it was all over the damn place and not just "gay", not sure why you dwelled on that point.

It was already explained by Sayid that they would feel pleasure at random times when other ones were having sex. Conveniently like all the male Sens8s and the one trans were involved after a few minutes of lap dancing and ass thrusting from the gat couple. They're really trying to ram the LGBT stuff down our throats which would be fine if the rest of the show wasn't boring.

Razmos

It was already explained by Sayid that they would feel pleasure at random times when other ones were having sex. Conveniently like all the male Sens8s and the one trans were involved after a few minutes of lap dancing and ass thrusting from the gat couple. They're really trying to ram the LGBT stuff down our throats which would be fine if the rest of the show wasn't boring.
embarassed-for-u.gif

Sai-kun

Banned

wahhh

Subaru

428c969ee32c58b6fb065c45b7e7c7c4.gif

News flash: they're really trying to ram the straight stuff down on my throat since... forever. =)

They're really not, and I've been surprised on how well they've handled it. They've done nothing different than what has happened with straight characters in thousands of shows. They've literally just shown that the same things happen with LGBT couples.

Finished the show a couple weeks ago but forgot to post.

Absolutely LOVED it. This better get picked up for S2, although the ending was satisfactory enough that I'd rather it end there than a "bad" ending.

I love that they don't always go to the same characters for bad ass moments. The obvious example being Sun when it comes to fighting. They've used Will and Wolfgang at extremely appropriate moments. Possibly my favorite fight scene doesn't even involve Sun (who is an absolute bad ass): it's Wolfgang taking the hits for Lito and being like "that all you got?". I think the writers/directors did a fantastic job of making all the characters feel important in their own way. This doesn't feel like "So and so and their head buddies", it's a genuine ensemble that extends even to the non-sense8 characters.

My favorite group is Lito, Hernando and Daniela.

Of the sense8 themselves, it's hard to get past Capheus's blind optimism and happy nature. Wasn't he originally billed as a voodoo witch doctor or something?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Of the sense8 themselves, it's hard to get past Capheus's blind optimism and happy nature. Wasn't he originally billed as a voodoo witch doctor or something?

No. The magical black dude everyone was freaking about when the show was first announced turned out to be Jonas.

Van Owen

Banned
They're really not, and I've been surprised on how well they've handled it. They've done nothing different than what has happened with straight characters in thousands of shows. They've literally just shown that the same things happen with LGBT couples.

Really? The whole Pride stuff, trans girl ostracized by parents and others in the LBGT community that are friends with her lesbian girlfriend, the closeted gay actor all culminating in a ten minute mostly male orgy with characters that are straight with hot sweat workouts with tons of shots of male hip thrusting, lap dancing, and making out while bench pressing.

It's all a bit on the nose and blatant. I feel like this is all stuff that's been handled better in OITNB, True Blood, The Wire, etc.

Razmos

Really? The whole Pride stuff, trans girl ostracized by parents and others in the LBGT community that are friends with her lesbian girlfriend, the closeted gay actor
Yeah, because trans issues are so common on TV these days, they are really shoving it down your throat.
And gay actors having to hide their sexuality is a real thing.

Are LGBT characters not allowed to have storylines that are, ya know, relevant to their sexuality and situations?

Nomi's story in particular has barely anything to do with her gender/sexuality, other than the fact it begins during the pride parade and she has a wonderful relationship with her girlfriend throughout the course of the show. Her storyline is actually the one most closely connected to the main plot and the LGBT themes are just the backdrop. I'm not sure why you have an issue with that.

Van Owen

Banned
Nomi's story in particular has barely anything to do with her gender/sexuality, other than the fact it begins during the pride parade and she has a wonderful relationship with her girlfriend throughout the course of the show. Her storyline is actually the one most closely connected to the main plot and the LGBT themes are just the backdrop. I'm not sure why you have an issue with that.

I only made it a little over half way through the series, but from what I saw her being trans and earlier convicted of being a "hacktivist" (ugh I can't believe they actually used that term) was the entirety of her plot. I think I only saw one episode after they got out of the hospital where they sat around talking about whether or not she'd lose her mind.

Zalasta

I'm sorry but you just sound very ignorant, because you don't even seem to understand how the show works. The Sense8's don't visit each other just by random happenstance, they are connected when they share similar emotions and are opened to it. So for the orgy scene, it was obvious because Lito and Nomi were both having sex with their partners at the time. As for Will, well, a work out can be a very sexual thing, especially when he is looking and lusting at the women in the gym. Wolfgang was in a bathhouse, use your imagination there. So within the context, these are the people that were most sexually aroused and thus connected, rather than some LGBT propaganda you're claiming.

Really? The whole Pride stuff, trans girl ostracized by parents and others in the LBGT community that are friends with her lesbian girlfriend, the closeted gay actor all culminating in a ten minute mostly male orgy with characters that are straight with hot sweat workouts with tons of shots of male hip thrusting, lap dancing, and making out while bench pressing.

It's all a bit on the nose and blatant. I feel like this is all stuff that's been handled better in OITNB, True Blood, The Wire, etc.

That's 2 characters out of 8. And one scene of male to male sexuality? What about the hipster people having sex? Or the german dudes penis? Or the topless girls in the korean scene

Straight sexuality is blatant in most TV its just not talked about because its so ingrained (game of thrones as much more graphic stuff, its just straight). I don't see how doing the same thing with LGBT characters is shoving it down anyone's throat. I don't see how any one can say this was too on the nose and blatant while not at the same time complaining about breats in every other TV show.

I only made it a little over half way through the series, but from what I saw her being trans and earlier convicted of being a "hacktivist" (ugh I can't believe they actually used that term) was the entirety of her plot. I think I only saw one episode after they got out of the hospital where they sat around talking about whether or not she'd lose her mind.

Those two things contradict each other. There's only two things in her story but (first of all you havent watched the whole show) you then go on to describe another plot line involving her!

Carcetti

You don't have to try and dance around it, as everyone who reads the thread can see what the issue is: you can't handle seeing man-on-man sex on tv. I imagine there's quite a few old-timers who blinked a few times at some of these scenes.

Moff

theres just some extremely lazy writing in the first two episodes.
gay couple? of course they are in SF at the pride
german character? of course he is in berlin, the capital
korean character? of course she is in soul, the capital
kenyan character? of course he is in nairobi, the capital
and if it's not a capital, then its just the most well known city like mumbai

which is why the show really got me when it started breaking some of those tropes. like the gay actor who had a girlfriend as a cover up. you expected her to become his problem, but she was actually cool with it and became another super likeable character.

the orgy scene is not really LGTB propaganda for me, I think it was just hot. and let's be completely honest here, if it feels good, does it really matter if it was done by a man or a woman?

Razmos

the orgy scene is not really LGTB propaganda for me, I think it was just hot. and let's be completely honest here, if it feels good, does it really matter if it was done by a man or a woman?
Aside from the titillation, that's kinda the entire point of the scene:
1ae076cb6e49794674494ccf249e3c6c.png

Basically their gender and sexuality is irrelevant as far as sex goes.

Van Owen

Banned
I'm sorry but you just sound very ignorant, because you don't even seem to understand how the show works. The Sense8's don't visit each other just by random happenstance, they are connected when they share similar emotions and are opened to it. So for the orgy scene, it was obvious because Lito and Nomi were both having sex with their partners at the time. As for Will, well, a work out can be a very sexual thing, especially when he is looking and lusting at the women in the gym. Wolfgang was in a bathhouse, use your imagination there. So within the context, these are the people that were most sexually aroused and thus connected, rather than some LGBT propaganda you're claiming.

I've never had a workout or sauna where I would be comfortable being magically transported to a gay orgy where I would be making out with men. Neither of those two characters have shown any homosexual tendencies so I don't get why there were so open to it.

Those two things contradict each other. There's only two things in her story but (first of all you havent watched the whole show) you then go on to describe another plot line involving her!

Her sitting around for one scene wondering if there's a cure or if she's losing her mind isn't really what I would call a plot line, but ok.

From what I've seen, the trans character are completely one dimensional and defined by their sexuality. What what is the closet gay actor other than a closeted gay actor? I'm comparing this to an Indian girl struggling with her customs and culture vs what she really wants, someone getting involved with crime to save his dying mother, or a thief with daddy issues.

Again, I've only seen a little over half the series, but I'm not sure where it's supposed to grab me. Look at someone like Omar in The Wire who is gay but isn't defined by who he is sexually attracted to and compare it to Lito and tell me who is a more interesting and well written character.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I need more Lito in my life. They have to renew.

I need to know if Lito finds his flip-flop.

Her sitting around for one scene wondering if there's a cure or if she's losing her mind isn't really what I would call a plot line, but ok.

From what I've seen, the trans character are completely one dimensional and defined by their sexuality. What what is the closet gay actor other than a closeted gay actor? I'm comparing this to an Indian girl struggling with her customs and culture vs what she really wants, someone getting involved with crime to save his dying mother, or a thief with daddy issues.

Again, I've only seen a little over half the series, but I'm not sure where it's supposed to grab me. Look at someone like Omar in The Wire who is gay but isn't defined by who he is sexually attracted to and compare it to Lito and tell me who is a more interesting and well written character.

Nomi really isn't defined by her sexuality. Neither is Lito.

Van Owen

Banned
You don't have to try and dance around it, as everyone who reads the thread can see what the issue is: you can't handle seeing man-on-man sex on tv. I imagine there's quite a few old-timers who blinked a few times at some of these scenes.

Dude, I watched Oz and loved it. Sorry I'm not over the moon for another Wachowski turd in a long line of Wachowski turds.

Carcetti

Dude, I watched Oz and loved it. Sorry I'm not over the moon for another Wachowski turd in a long line of Wachowski turds.

I skipped Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending, so I must've lucked out. And I kinda see what you mean in the sense that they're clearly going all out on a pro LGBT message. There's a thin line between sweet and corny or enlightening and preachy but I felt they managed to stay on the good side of it this time. It's just so nice to get a humane, optimistic show.

I'm not sure if OZ is a good comparison, though. It was mostly rapey rape time in it, meant to make you uncomfortable, and the only one who really seemed to enjoy all of it was 100 % evil psycho Keller. A bunch of heroic protagonists going full time bi orgy is not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom