• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit - Update 4/27:

https://twitter.com/MsJamieClayton/status/725349067631423488

"Ep1 at Christmas. The rest, all at once in 2017."

Edit- Renewed for a second season:

xHUKePr.jpg

One gunshot, one death, one moment out of time that irrevocably links eight minds in disparate parts of the world, putting them in each other's lives, each other's secrets, and in terrible danger. Ordinary people suddenly reborn as "Sensates."

Release date: Season one is up!

Spoilers: Two weeks are up, spoilers will be posted without a spoiler tag. So browse the thread at your own risk.

Links:

Character trailers:

Reviews (Note: I haven't read the reviews, so I don't know if they spoil anything):

Cast:

cGyU2i2.jpg

Naveen Andrews

5aSxbLp.jpg

Brian J. Smith as Will

0J8ScW4.jpg

Tuppence Middleton as Riley

2FBpA8Y.jpg

Aml Ameen as Capheus

G5EOBwg.jpg

Bae Doona as Sun

cMDn0m0.jpg

Miguel Ángel Silvestre as Lito

uPBoQjy.jpg

Tina Desai as Kala

OCoRpNh.jpg

Max Riemelt as Wolfgang

ZRW4wNV.jpg

Jamie Clayton as Nomi Marks

Dice//

Banned
Despite the average-ish reviews, the concept sounds to cool not to look into.
Looking forward to it!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Like usual? I wasn't aware this is the norm. I was under the impression thought only some series/movies made it to other Netflix regions.

I mean I don't know which kind of shows are universal (region wise) and which arent

Netflix produced shows tend to be made available worldwide, with some exceptions here and there.

Armadilo

Banned
the reviewers only watched 3 episodes, New shows always start cold in the beginning and get good by the end leaving you wanting more

Senoculum

I actually think the Wachowski's writing is top-tier. The original Matrix screenplay is one of the best things I've ever read - their word usage, the cadence, the plotting, everything.

Speed Racer too was an amazing experience with a great, heart-warming story; but their passion to translate anime aesthetics to cinema was the beginning of the end, producers and investors just didn't jive with them and on top of all the unwarranted attention with Lana's transformation, I imagine it was super hard to secure Cloud Atlas and even Sense 8.

I've also noticed that Netflix didn't open a lot of press junkets for Sense 8, and the marketing suggests they're doing a soft launch. Goes to show their confidence, eh?

Though, I'll always be down for more Matrix films :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^Except for House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Daredevil, the majority of their shows haven't received big campaigns/ads.

Miker

I thought Cloud Atlas was a massive piece of crap that was ambitious, but tonally inconsistent and mostly poorly executed. It was something of a fun train wreck to watch, so I guess I'm in for this series too.

Mifune

Mehmber
Enough of the critics I like say this is good so I'm excited. Visually it's gonna be a feast even if the writing isn't so great.

ambitious, but tonally inconsistent

That's sorta the point. Maybe it wasn't totally successful but the inconsistency in tone is baked into the premise.

Kaladin

I have a feeling about this show.

A good feeling.

Like this is going to be House of Cards / OITNB big once people see it and the word of mouth cuts through the initial reaction people have to the Wachowski Bros that all of their projects seem to get.

hamchan

I'll watch all of it because I'm getting it with my Netflix sub either way. Also I seem to watch all the Wachowski's stuff even if I hate it later like most of their post-Matrix work.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How does Naveen Andrews not get more roles? I always think he's good in whatever I see him in. Sayid was the best character on Lost.

Brakke

Banned
He didn't particularly like it, but I love this line:

Yeah that line is why I'm sold on it! He also says "Sense8 demands utter fealty to its insanity." negatively but giving utter fealty to insanity is one of my favorite things to do. I had fun with Jupiter Ascending! I love a thing that just goes bonkers, I appreciate wild ambition.

"Sense8 is bad in a way that feels entirely fresh. Its untamed ego is inseparable from its wild imagination." Excellent, I say.

Sometimes I want a well-considered, sober, well-crafted thing. Sometimes I want to marvel at something bananas.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sepinwall - Review: Netflix's 'Sense8' makes no sense at first, but will it by binge's end?

"Sense8" has a lot on its mind, as the brief encounters between its leads quickly blur boundaries of nationality, gender and sexuality, among other heady topics. It's aiming for something big, and while these three episodes give me no idea if they can ultimately hit the mark, they're also more interesting than they have any right to be considering how incoherent so much of it is.

Overall rating: B-

Brakke

Banned
This is a really interesting piece. I'm weirdly excited for this now, despite all the negative reviews.

Right? That Sepinwall one with "they're also more interesting than they have any right to be considering how incoherent so much of it is" has me similarly weirdly excited.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
When does netflix update? This hitting midnight or just any time tomorrow? I wanna watch.

Daria

I'll probably watch it for Sun and because I'm itching for a good scifi fix.

I hope battlestar galactica comes back on eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom