• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 S2 |OT| Tremendous Sea of Love - May 5 on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's just really disappointing because I feel like this is a show that needs to exist nowadays. With all the nationalism and fear of others going around it was really great having a show that not only had a positive message about equality and diversity, but actually represented those ideals. Yeah you can call some of it heavy-handed, but I'll take that over 90% of the shit out there that claims to have a positive message but inevitably falls into the same traps as everything else as far as casting and tropes go.

Watching this show made me feel something no other show has, and for that I'm grateful it exists, but sad to see it end.

Shoeless

It's just really disappointing because I feel like this is a show that needs to exist nowadays. With all the nationalism and fear of others going around it was really great having a show that not only had a positive message about equality and diversity, but actually represented those ideals. Yeah you can call some of it heavy-handed, but I'll take that over 90% of the shit out there that claims to have a positive message but inevitably falls into the same traps as everything else as far as casting and tropes go.

Watching this show made me feel something no other show has, and for that I'm grateful it exists, but sad to see it end.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I live in Canada, so I see what's going on in the US from the outside, but even from here, you can feel things changing. And shows like Sense8 were a really great beacon of hope for a lot of people saying "You can fight it." It was really nice to see that kind of empathy and diversity in a show. It was even better that it meant a partnering of JMS and the Wachowskis, because I never thought that would EVER happen.

tauroxd

Yeah, I know what you mean. I live in Canada, so I see what's going on in the US from the outside, but even from here, you can feel things changing. And shows like Sense8 were a really great beacon of hope for a lot of people saying "You can fight it." It was really nice to see that kind of empathy and diversity in a show. It was even better that it meant a partnering of JMS and the Wachowskis, because I never thought that would EVER happen.

I mirror these thoughts.

In the end the show was looking to be a Feel good story with so many likable characters and funny stuff.

Necrovex

I loved this show since it gave me a sense of hope and optimism that nothing else has given me during these last few months. Though I can't be mad about this show getting cancelled as Netflix gave it two actual chances to catch fire. Nine million per episode is an insane budget. I'm happy we were able to get the amount we got, even though we'll never see the show reach its apex.

Zyzyxxz

man worst news of the day, really sad because I felt like this show was everything Hollywood didn't deliver in terms of diversity in social issues, race, gender, sex.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

My thoughts exactly.

The most beautiful things only last a short time

rGEUDmV.gif

jb1234

Starting to think that they rushed the finale because they knew the show was in trouble and they wanted to get everyone together really quickly so that the next season could be filmed in one location.

Either way, guess it doesn't matter now. :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to think that they rushed the finale because they knew the show was in trouble and they wanted to get everyone together really quickly so that the next season could be filmed in one location.

I honestly thought being in the same location would help with the logistics. :(

Korey

Yea it should be way cheaper now everyone's in the same place right? At least to do a finale special?

The last 10 minutes felt weird, with everyone teleporting around with no explanation.. Wonder if they knew what was up.

There were some promising storylines that were just beginning too like the cluster vs cluster thing in Berlin.

Just really sad.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Should have done that at the beginning of the season. Really dumb to not negotiate a lower budget with Netflix to ensure longevity if they didn't think they could tell the story in 2 seasons.

tootie923

So many other shows want to say, "Ok, here's our gay character!" Then guess what, he or she's dead in five episodes. Or if they're a lesbian, they'll last longer to give straight guys something to gawk at, then they'll be killed horribly.

I just got through Episode 5 where Lito, Hernando and Daniela
were thumbing through movies scripts after his coming out.

"At least he doesn't die of AIDS."

"Oh wait, he overdosed on drugs."

Sai-kun

Banned
the more time i have to think about this, the more upset it makes me

this show was so important to me, and resonated with me in a way that not a lot of other shows ever have

what the fuck

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wasn't bloodlines planned for 3 seasons anyway

They had planned out 5-6 seasons, but Netflix decided to end things with 3 because their Florida tax credit ran out (they filmed the show in Florida) and the cost of the show became untenable. The writers wrote the third season as the final one though, so it got a definitive conclusion. It doesn't belong on that list.

TDLink

They had planned out 5-6 seasons, but Netflix decided to end things with 3 because their Florida tax credit ran out (they filmed the show in Florida) and the cost of the show became untenable. The writers wrote the third season as the final one though, so it got a definitive conclusion. It doesn't belong on that list.

The rushed last few episodes complete with bad endings which still has a cliffhanger would say otherwise.

Felt more like they were midway through an S3 entirely focused on the Marco fallout and then learned it was their last one and had to stumble their way towards quickly wrapping it up.

Watched the first season, liked it well enough that I'm gonna watch the second at some point. As many have mentioned, I really appreciate a lot of the themes about diversity and the human experience they tried to take on. It explored concepts that few other TV shows have up to this point.

However, hearing about that 9.5 million dollar budget per episode... how? It's double all the rest of the competition besides Game of Thrones (which is order of magnitudes more popular) and in some cases quadruple to quintuple the competition on prime time. That was never going to be sustainable and the production crew had to know this. Surely they could do a Season Three for more like two to three million per episode? It's better than cancellation.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm just happy it didn't end five minutes earlier, ha now that would have been a shitty cliffhanger. I guess they knew they were on thin ice, so the final ten minutes moved quickly to wrap some things up but also leave a cliffhanger so that all the fans would be damnit Netflix we want another season.

To be honest I can't blame Netflix, this show was a big fat mess. A beautiful, original, intriguing and heartfelt mess. But also a soppy, longwinded, self indulgent and preachy mess.

Like did anyone actually care for Wolfgang and... Indian girl (Kala? 20 hours in I still don't know or much care) 's romance? God that went on forever. I'm glad they gave Nomi a lot more to do even though none of it was believable, but she was still annoying. Blue haired girl had the worst superpower ever, just looking concerned at her doped up friend. And all that piano music and drawn out looking into a mirror yeesh. Good thing there were no more orgies though and Italian Sensate girl was cool, even though you knew beforehand that our cluster would beat theirs.

In the end I was primarily watching it for Lito (he and his series boyfriend are straight irl by the way, boy that's some dedication), Sun (who can't act but anyway the storyline was cool), Chicago cop and that's so rave girl. Van Damn's story was cool too. Wolfgang I liked his violence, but I didn't exactly buy how he was a crime lord by staring intently at things but apparently not doing much else.

When they were all solving stuff together though, the show really soared. And while I'm not as big a fan as many others here, I'll definitely miss that unique take.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just happy it didn't end five minutes earlier, ha now that would have been a shitty cliffhanger. I guess they knew they were on thin ice, so the final ten minutes moved quickly to wrap some things up but also leave a cliffhanger so that all the fans would be damnit Netflix we want another season.

To be honest I can't blame Netflix, this show was a big fat mess. A beautiful, original, intriguing and heartfelt mess. But also a soppy, longwinded, self indulgent and preachy mess.

Like did anyone actually care for Wolfgang and... Indian girl (Kala? 20 hours in I still don't know or much care) 's romance? God that went on forever. I'm glad they gave Nomi a lot more to do even though none of it was believable, but she was still annoying. Blue haired girl had the worst superpower ever, just looking concerned at her doped up friend. And all that piano music and drawn out looking into a mirror yeesh. Good thing there were no more orgies though and Italian Sensate girl was cool, even though you knew beforehand that our cluster would beat theirs.

In the end I was primarily watching it for Lito (he and his series boyfriend are straight irl by the way, boy that's some dedication), Sun (who can't act but anyway the storyline was cool), Chicago cop and that's so rave girl. Van Damn's story was cool too. Wolfgang I liked his violence, but I didn't exactly buy how he was a crime lord by staring intently at things but apparently not doing much else.

When they were all solving stuff together though, the show really soared. And while I'm not as big a fan as many others here, I'll definitely miss that unique take.

I cared very much about Wolfgang and Kala. :(

someday

Banned
I cared very much about Wolfgang and Kala. :(
I did too. It was one of the things I was looking forward to in the next season. I'm pretty crushed this is cancelled. Yes, the show had issues but I loved the premise, the locations, and the feel-good nature of it all. We need more shows like this, especially today. Oh well, hopefully at least they get a way to complete the series, either in a movie or a shortened season. I don't think a 2 hour special could do it justice but any ending is better than what we have now. Why would anyone in the future watch the 2 seasons knowing the completely up-in-the-air way it ended?

Sotha Sil

Weirdly enough the show's momentum among fans makes me kind of hopeful. Feel like the sisters have other cards in their sleeves. (This also may be the delusional stage of grief).

Paganmoon

Weirdly enough the show's momentum among fans makes me kind of hopeful. Feel like the sisters have other cards in their sleeves. (This also may be the delusional stage of grief).

Continued in comic book form! :(

And to add my 2 cents, really didn't care for the romance between Kala and Wolfgang.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

There's been a ton of support I've seen on social media. I have a slim hope but I know it's not very realistic. I'm not sure but could someone else pick up the show and continue it?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
There's been a ton of support I've seen on social media. I have a slim hope but I know it's not very realistic. I'm not sure but could someone else pick up the show and continue it?

Unlikely. It's incredibly expensive.

As for Kala and Wolfgang, I liked that story line because it was so much better than Wolfgang's other story line. I was totally fine with his friend getting shot, but then he lived to annoy another day.

I seriously just started watching the show like a week ago and saw this thread right as Season 1 had me hooked....Dammit! DAMMIT!
I am going to go ahead and finish the 2nd Season as it seems like its at least a bearable cliffhanger from comments, but dammit I was really digging this show!

It has some flaws but the positives faaaarrr outweigh the negatives.

I will forgive Netflix for this cancellation if they give me a Netflix Original version of a Lito Rodriguez movie.

Chuckie

i didnt think netflix would hurt me like this, first marco polo and now sense8

Netflix is like an abusive partner, first it cancelled Marco Polo, which hurt....then they cancelled the Get Down, which hurt even more and now Sense8 which hurts the most.

psyfi

Banned
Since seeing season 2 a few weeks ago, not a day has gone by without it somehow crossing my mind and making me feel a little happier, connected, and hopeful. I'm really thankful for that.

I wanted so much to see more cluster v. cluster interactions damnit! They can't just cancel after finally starting to open up about Sensate society with things like
Archipelago

EulaCapra

Ugh, I'm double bitter that Netflix responded so quickly after those petitions.

Sense8 is--was like the Wii U. No one really understood the name and the marketing budget was just not there. But still, beloved by many and oh dear god please come back three years later more popular than ever like Mario Kart 8.

Saraluna

Neo Member
For what it's worth, many fans who haven't already are planning to cancel their Netflix subs today (June 12th) in response to the cancellation.

Man how could they cancel this ffs? I'm so salty. Especially with that ending. What is Netflix doing, it's one of the best shows they have :'(

No fucking way. Damn that's dedication and skill lmao, esp from Lito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom