• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 S2 |OT| Tremendous Sea of Love - May 5 on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Still didn't even managed to watch season 2 !

Damn !

But it has a HUGE cult following so I can see the Serenity type of ending along the way

It's a super expensive, innovative, incredibly diverse show headed by filmmakers that haven't created a hit anything in over a decade.

They even gave it a second season after the first one flopped.

Its not Netflix's fault. People just don't want original stories apparently.

I always figured that it only barely got a second season, given that it took months for them to officially renew it at a time when other shows were getting renewals very shortly after premiering.

It seems fairly clear that Netflix is much more willing to cancel shows than they were two years ago.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't really get the attitude in thinking time invested in watching a show for dozens of hours is essentially wasted if the show doesn't run for at least 5 or 6 seasons and doesn't have some kind of formal resolution at the end of it all.

I just sent Netlfix a message to bring back Sense8 via the request a show page. Maybe they will turn around if enough people speak up?

hydruxo

That's a bummer. Wife and I are two episodes from the end and enjoying it greatly.

I think Netflix has gotten a taste of crazy high viewer numbers with their Marvel shows and is now canning their merely decently performing shows. Especially if they're expensive like this one.

I mean it sucks, but I can understand why shows like this and The Get Down got cancelled. They didn't perform as well as expected, and the budgets were just way too much. TGD is most likely dead, but I hope Sense8 can land somewhere else.

Menaged

I just sent Netlfix a message to bring back Sense8 via the request a show page. Maybe they will turn around if enough people speak up?

I opened a live chat in order to leave feedback, and they claimed it's just a rumor and nothing's official yet, but... sounds liks bullshit.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I enjoyed it and it has its moments in the subplots but I don't feel the overarching plot was ever really going anywhere interesting so it's not like it needed to continue. And season 2 has a bunch of faux science mumbo jumbo about the sensates that is a bit painful to listen to.

sammex

Ugh. It wasn't my favourite show ever but I liked it enough and season 2 was really promising. Would love some sort of movie conclusion but doubt that'll happen.

MaKTaiL

I don't trust Netflix anymore. The one reason I would try their shows was because I was assured they would at least recieve a proper ending. Canceling Marco Polo, The Get Down and Sense8 before they are allowed to at least wrap up in a nice way makes Netflix no different than any other cable channel now.

I'm really disappointed by this. I'll never watch a new series from them anymore until all is said and done. I'll keep watching the ones I already started though because there is nothing I can do anymore.

Menaged

Maybe if more people watched it? Netflix is not going to cancel a show if it's successful.

I don't know if it was actually stated somewhere, but I always felt that a prt of Netflix's appeal was the willingness to invest in new and bold shows, even if they're not doing great ratings. I'm sure they can afford to lose money on some shows and still be quite profitable, but alas.

Kinda want to cancel my sub, but who am I kidding, I've got no other means to watch TV :/

I don't trust Netflix anymore. The one reason I would try their shows was because I was assured they would at least recieve a proper ending. Canceling Marco Polo, The Get Down and Sense8 before they are allowed to at least wrap up in a nice way makes Netflix no different than any other cable channel now.

I'm really disappointed by this. .

Well said and I completely agree.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sad, but I'm not surprised. Sense8 is highly unusual on the outside and it's difficult to explain why it's interesting until someone watches like half a season. A noble experiment and I'm glad Netflix at least let two seasons happen.

Still, this is yet another reminder of how dangerous it is to construct a myth arc show that is predicated on too many loose ends and unresolved mysteries. It's very rare that something like a Babylon 5 can happen. More often than not your show is going to get canned.

I'm all for serialized storytelling, but I do prefer, in most cases, shows that treat each season like a book in a series with a definite conclusion, while planting seeds for future plot that if need be can be left up to the imagination. Rather than feeling like an incomplete story.

zeemumu

Still didn't even managed to watch season 2 !

Damn !

But it has a HUGE cult following so I can see the Serenity type of ending along the way

I don't know about cult following. Don't those usually come about after the series has been long dead?

Maybe if more people watched it? Netflix is not going to cancel a show if it's successful.

If you want to get Netflix to change their minds, really I think the most effective way to do that is to spread the word about the show and get more people to watch it. Get people to buy subscriptions and immediately watch Sense8.

If Netflix sees a sudden surge in traffic, I would think that'd be a good reason for them to reconsider the cancellation.

Still seems kind of unlikely, but you never know

Mifune

Mehmber
It's amazing the show even got a second season given how little Netflix promoted the first one, how toxic the buzz was when it premiered, how few critics actually talked about it. The buzz turned around for season two but by then it was too late. The big critics who should have been covering it - the Nussbaums, the Seitzes - had already missed the boat so it never got that groundswell of respected voices urging viewers to catch up.

Honestly I think Netflix got gunshy after the release of Jupiter Ascending and that's why they didn't push the show on critics the way they did with some of their other originals.

Necrovex

Damn, that's depressing. Though I half-expected this would happen considering how low of a murmur there was for the property and knowing how expensive this show was to make. RIP one of my favorite series. :-(

tauroxd

A damn shame but I really can't be mad at Netflix, thanks to them we got 2 seasons of a magical and super awesome show :( if it wasn't for them it would've not existed. It was super difficult and therefore expensive to shoot and edit, and it was not super popular, and this also comes after Hastings said they were going to cancel more stuff now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom