• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Just finished the pilot. I can already tell I'm going to love this show. Great cast, great visuals, messy (but acceptable) dialogue, Naveen Andrews.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Seems like a series that slowly builds-up over time. Takes a long time for things to get moving along, half-way through episode 1 hope it gets better.

Cinematography is great though.

TraBuch

Banned
Just finished the pilot, seems to me that there're just too many characters. Cutting it down by two would've done wonders methinks. But I guess they wouldn't have been able to use the incredibly clever title with only six characters.

Also, the acting seems a bit spotty. The trans woman seems to be the worst offender, but the little I saw of the Indian woman wasn't much better. I dunno, maybe it's just the dialogue.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My tolerance and patience for shows is higher than the average, but I couldn't even finish the pilot episode. May give it a second chance down the road, but it's not likely.

Blackhead

Redarse
Episode 6 nsfw goddam
the most erotic scene I've ever seen in 'television' preceded by some nasty prison harassment :/

Slacker

Watched the first three episodes so far. Definitely enjoying it, although I feel like the freedom creators/directors have on Netflix can be both a positive and a negative. This show reminds me a little of my feelings about The Americans, a show I really love but hesitantly recommend to people because it's hard to watch at times. Sense8 has been great so far, but I feel like the more extreme scenes (like a character in episode 1
flinging a dripping strap-on around the room
) don't really add to the experience, while possibly limiting the audience.

That being said, I'm all in. Looking forward to blowing through a few more episodes tonight.

Speaking of episode 1, can someone explain the conversation between Nomi and the person at the pride event? What did Nomi blog and what was the person's problem with it?

Blackhead

Redarse
Watched the first three episodes so far. Definitely enjoying it, although I feel like the freedom creators/directors have on Netflix can be both a positive and a negative. This show reminds me a little of my feelings about The Americans, a show I really love but hesitantly recommend to people because it's hard to watch at times. Sense8 has been great so far, but I feel like the more extreme scenes (like a character in episode 1
flinging a dripping strap-on around the room
) don't really add to the experience, while possibly limiting the audience.

That being said, I'm all in. Looking forward to blowing through a few more episodes tonight.

Speaking of episode 1, can someone explain the conversation between Nomi and the person at the pride event? What did Nomi blog and what was the person's problem with it?

Lol, that's not the most extreme you'll see and I think that's the erotic experience is the show wants to deliver. In some ways it's exploring questions that Joss Whedon's Dollhouse wasn't allowed to tackle. I thought the strap-on and more to come was Explicit but not distasteful...

Nomi wants to do away with LGBT nomenclature as it doesn't encompass queer *blah blah* lol it's a classic feminist/queer theory debate... don't get hung up on it

Atrophis

I've watched the first two episodes. I would be watching more but the wife's gone to bed and she made me promise not to watch more without her. I really like it so far. Cloud Atlas the TV show is all good in my opinion.

I gotta know guys - Team Van Damme or Team Bat Van??

Spoo

Watched the first 2 episodes expecting a trainwreck.

So far, actually, pretty good. Not great, yet, but the seeds are there for the show to really get exciting. It manages to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and pretty much all of the characters are good, unique, and have backstories you actually want to explore. There's also the bigger questions, which are pretty cool. Direction is a little spotty at times, and writing also has moments of awkwardness, but overall I like it so far, flaws and all.

Maybe it's not surprising, but I like that the show is very inclusive. Minorities, gays, transgender -- many people of different cultures and lifestyles are included in the story. Yet it doesn't feel particularly pandering, either -- I think it's going to be a big part of the juxtaposition between the characters as things go on. And I find a lot of the smaller storylines to be actually kind of touching.

TraBuch

Banned
The cringe factor in this show is extremely high. That whole dance scene in the second episode made me roll my eyes. Hard.

Spoo

The cringe factor in this show is extremely high. That whole dance scene in the second episode made me roll my eyes. Hard.

Yeah, worst part so far lol. It wouldn't have been so bad had the direction not changed to be, what, like a music video? Fast cuts, somewhat sped up; felt out of place.

ivysaur12

Banned

Some of the dialog is also "what the fuck were you thinking writing that on paper" bad, though I guess that's been a Wachowski special as of late.

TVexperto

Yeah, worst part so far lol. It wouldn't have been so bad had the direction not changed to be, what, like a music video? Fast cuts, somewhat sped up; felt out of place.

Thats because every country / location had a different own director. The scenes in Berlin were directed by a local german director.

Watched the first 2 episodes expecting a trainwreck.

So far, actually, pretty good. Not great, yet, but the seeds are there for the show to really get exciting. It manages to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and pretty much all of the characters are good, unique, and have backstories you actually want to explore. There's also the bigger questions, which are pretty cool. Direction is a little spotty at times, and writing also has moments of awkwardness, but overall I like it so far, flaws and all.

Maybe it's not surprising, but I like that the show is very inclusive. Minorities, gays, transgender -- many people of different cultures and lifestyles are included in the story. Yet it doesn't feel particularly pandering, either -- I think it's going to be a big part of the juxtaposition between the characters as things go on. And I find a lot of the smaller storylines to be actually kind of touching.

My thoughts exactly. Excited to watch more.

El Topo

Four episodes in. Amazing show.

Thats because every country / location had a different own director. The scenes in Berlin were directed by a local german director.

Didn't Tom Tykwer direct the Berlin (and Nairobi) scenes? Great director (and an all-around talent) who did e.g. Run Lola Run. I like the different directors for the different settings. Makes them stand out even more.

Spoo

Oh wow, yeah, that would absolutely explain it. It felt so jarring in contrast with everything else.

Like everything so far up thru episode 2.
Nomi is the best character so far, but I also like Lito and especially Hernando.

The cop and safe cracker guy are ok.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Takes 7 bloody episodes before the plot takes any baby steps forward.

Not impressed so far, it's incredibly dry.

Taruranto

Saw the first episode.

Some dialogue felt a bit weird, but I'm hooked.

Hopefully it won't disappoint like many hyped sci-fi shows.

Lito is my favorite, but I'm enjoying every storyline, which I was not expecting.

You can definitely tell they use different directors though for the different storylines, and that comes off a bit jarring. (Even the dialogue seems to shift drastically.)

Salsa

saw the first ep....

good lord man

some of this script

physically cringed at so much dialogue

like I can't believe it's a final draft

WE CANT TREAT THAT WE ARE A MUCH BETTER HOSPITAL SINCE WE STOPPED TAKING KIDS LIKE THAT

LEMME ASK YOU SOMETHING WHAT IF HE SHOT A COP

who the fuck is this moral compass audience mirror cliche lady

like was there someone involved in production yelling at them saying they can't be the least little bit subtle about anything

Amir0x

Banned
everything in this show is so obviously choreographed it's really hard to get into this. It's one of the sloppiest shows I've seen in ages.

oh that safe is uncrackable your Dad was a dumbass for trying
cracks safe

you need DMT to open your mind
does DMT, opens mind

it's also... oh I see SalsaShark is on this one

oh hey those gangbangers hate you, and we hate them
why do we hate them
are you serious it's like cats and mice we just are natural enemies
why is it natural

this entire show is so sanctimonious at times I wonder if it's just like the Wachowski siblings just opened up a guidebook on whatever the emergent social issues are of the day and just collected happy catchphrases to spout whenever they're with the next painfully archetypal character.

I say this as someone who fully supports the ideology behind much of the awkwardly hamfisted characters and dialogue, but does not like to watch shit with all the nuance of a fucking nuclear bomb being detonated in each of ones retinas every two goddamn seconds

Kurdel

Banned
Episode 4
That Karaoke scene was legit awesome!!

I am really loving the show so far! I see the whole 8 connected people as a plot contrivance to match story beats, and I think it works really well.

that first episode
sex scene with the wet strap on hitting the floor
felt kinda unnecessary.

Um,
Martha Jones strap-on sex scene is never unnecessary!

The soaking wet strap splashing on the floor
in the first episode felt kinda unnecessary.
I think they needed to show that so that Lito's scene in the trailer afterwards made sense.

(Unless you just mean how "graphic" it was, though it didn't bother me personally.)

Blackhead

Redarse
everything in this show is so obviously choreographed it's really hard to get into this. It's one of the sloppiest shows I've seen in ages.

oh that safe is uncrackable your Dad was a dumbass for trying
cracks safe

you need DMT to open your mind
does DMT, opens mind

it's also... oh I see SalsaShark is on this one

oh hey those gangbangers hate you, and we hate them
why do we hate them
are you serious it's like cats and mice we just are natural enemies
why is it natural

this entire show is so sanctimonious at times I wonder if it's just like the Wachowski siblings just opened up a guidebook on whatever the emergent social issues are of the day and just collected happy catchphrases to spout whenever they're with the next painfully archetypal character.

I say this as someone who fully supports the ideology behind much of the awkwardly hamfisted characters and dialogue, but does not like to watch shit with all the nuance of a fucking nuclear bomb being detonated in each of ones retinas every two goddamn seconds

(I'm on episode eleven) you're right BUT the show turns out to not be really about those issues so those hamfisted ideologues just turn out to provide a quick background and context for the characters. I wrote earlier not to get hung up on the LGBT talk in the first episode and it applies to the nurse gangbangers talk too. Once the show gets into its stride, much better

Amir0x

Banned
how many episodes must I watch before its 'stride'? I'm into three and boy I'm not sure how much more torture I can take lol

rexor0717

Everyone is hot in this show, lol.
SE4ecn6.gif

Daft_Cat

how many episodes must I watch before its 'stride'? I'm into three and boy I'm not sure how much more torture I can take lol

Why would you keep watching it if you hate it that much? You're a quarter of the way through. The pacing improves and the plot becomes more interesting, but it's hardly a night and day thing. You'd know by now if the show was for you. I'd drop it unless you enjoy complaining about stuff on the internet. If that's the case, then by all means soldier on.

Sinatar

I'm 10 eps in and still nothing has really happened.

It's a turrrible soap opera, with the sensate shit way way in the background. The black oil got more screen time in X-Files then this shows core concept does.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm not sure how anyone could watch three episodes, let alone TEN, of a show that they hate, within 24 hours of its release.

Sinatar

I'm not sure how anyone could watch three episodes, let alone TEN, of a show that they hate, within 24 hours of its release.

It's just running in the background.

I stick around because of JMS, I keep hoping for some cool shit to go down. It's not like B5 was amazing right from the jump.

Blackhead

Redarse
By episode 5 it's more introspective. If your complaint about the first three episodes is the random disorienting cuts and flippant moral lines it becomes less about that. One character's arc
Lito
even turns such 'movie lines' on its head.
I'm 10 eps in and still nothing has really happened.

It's a turrrible soap opera, with the sensate shit way way in the background. The black oil got more screen time in X-Files then this shows core concept does.

Whaaaat? the show devolves more and more into the sensate stuff. The final episode is all it. that's the only reason I'm still watching.

All done. it's not bad. resolved this season's storyline alright while leaving a path open to explore in the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom