• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
almost nobody has even mentioned how hilarious the Indian lady's story is.

you see she has a problem with marriage pressure from her family, as if that isn't the plot to ninety two percent of all movies that take place in India in Hollywood.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, I forgot this is a real line from the Sense8 pilot script, from when we first meet Mr. Whispers.

We pan to find another figure now standing in the room, MR. WHISPERS.

He kneels beside her. His voice is like the rasp of a page of the Bible being turned.

Classic vocal intonation.

The lesbian couple was cute =x

Was not bothered by the dialogue, but then again I love Kevin Smith and Girlmore Girls and other stuff that has people not sounding like real people =P

Show has my curiosity

....i am a bisexual trans woman from south america.

Where in South America? Feels like you're Sao Paulo or bust, unfortunately. Anything else, and we'd actually have to deal with a more complicated identity. Also, you can't be poor from Sao Paulo. That's too much, too.

Yeah, but it's hard to see because I've built up a hard exterior.

PERFECT, YOU'RE IN. WELCOME.

Draper

you see she has a problem with marriage pressure from her family, as if that isn't the plot to ninety two percent of all movies that take place in India in Hollywood.

Jai Ho!

Salsa

dude

I mean I shouldnt be surprised really but I literally said the latter out loud as I was watching it

Salsa

- he's perfect Ganesha but there's just 1 thing..

"....."

- super long dramatic pause -

don't say it

dont

- pause -

- I don't love him

🔫

Mifune

Mehmber
And here you are, making up that I insulted you. If you can't read, that's on you. I even put a smiley face at the end. Sorry you don't like someone calling out a comment you made with vigor.

Dude, smileys are used to put a smug cap on the comment. You should have winked.

This is dumb. I only found it funny that someone was so far into a show that they hated in less than a day. It wasn't meant as an attack on anyone or defense of the show. I've only seen one episode!

ivysaur12

Banned
We should stop fighting, it's making me anxious. I'm trying to focus on eating all this pasta while drowning in my Catholic guilt.

Amir0x

Banned
Dude, smileys are used to put a smug cap on the comment. You should have winked.

This is dumb. I only found it funny that someone was so far into a show that they hated in less than a day. It wasn't meant as an attack on anyone or defense of the show. I've only seen one episode!

It's just a pet peeve of mine. I was more addressing the larger issue of how people always say that every time me or someone else mentions they watched more than a few episodes of a show they weren't currently enjoying (the old "why are you still watching then?"). Genuine apologies if it seemed like an attack on you personally or an insult because it wasn't meant that way, I would have not put a smiley in there otherwise heh

i have yet to see the show but this is actually an immensely common issue in indian societies...what's wrong with including it in this series?

feels like y'all are grasping for complaints. in a wachowski production nonetheless it shouldn't be this hard to do that....

Watched the first 2 episodes expecting a trainwreck.

So far, actually, pretty good. Not great, yet, but the seeds are there for the show to really get exciting. It manages to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and pretty much all of the characters are good, unique, and have backstories you actually want to explore. There's also the bigger questions, which are pretty cool. Direction is a little spotty at times, and writing also has moments of awkwardness, but overall I like it so far, flaws and all.

Maybe it's not surprising, but I like that the show is very inclusive. Minorities, gays, transgender -- many people of different cultures and lifestyles are included in the story. Yet it doesn't feel particularly pandering, either -- I think it's going to be a big part of the juxtaposition between the characters as things go on. And I find a lot of the smaller storylines to be actually kind of touching.

I feel its pretty pandering to me and heavy handed at time's. Though i did like how the
Actor and his boyfriend an the "beard" got along and worked it out/progressed as it went on. It turned out to be pretty fun (and funny). They could legit make a sitcom out of it or something.
Other then that it was a little off putting along with the dialogue as some have mentioned,
especially with Noami's spoken lines they were pretty corny and monologuey, which it turn made me skip most of her scenes given some of them were out right ridiculous- plus i got the just of the story or at least what her part in the story was.

Amir0x

Banned
i have yet to see the show but this is actually an immensely common issue in indian societies...what's wrong with including it in this series?

First, there is no nuance to its presentation and like the rest of the show, it is written like unfiltered garbage. It's the most shallow dumbshit retelling of this ONLY INDIAN STORY Hollywood ever likes to tell.

Second, I am making fun of the fact that it seems there is literally nothing else movies made outside of India that are about India ever like to discuss except that same issue. Yes, it's a problem. The other six percent of movies are about the weddings themselves or poverty.

There's more to India, I can assure you!

feels like y'all are grasping for complaints. in a wachowski production nonetheless it shouldn't be this hard to do that....

People have literally showed about a thousand complaints, and the majority of them are about the first episode alone. Nobody is grasping for anything.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's just a pet peeve of mine. I was more addressing the larger issue of how people always say that every time me or someone else mentions they watched more than a few episodes of a show they weren't currently enjoying (the old "why are you still watching then?"). Genuine apologies if it seemed like an attack on you personally or an insult because it wasn't meant that way, I would have not put a smiley in there otherwise heh

It's all good. I did think you were being serious, and was so flabbergasted that someone would insult and judge me over something so minor (a pet peeve of mine, clearly) that I lashed out. Apologies.

evanmisha

2 episodes in and I can stomach the dialogue. The only thing that really raised an eyebrow so far for me was
how unforgivingly cheap the car chase in episode 2 was. With how pretty the rest of the show has been, it stood out like a sore thumb.

2 episodes in and I can stomach the dialogue. The only thing that really raised an eyebrow so far for me was
how unforgivingly cheap the car chase in episode 2 was. With how pretty the rest of the show has been, it stood out like a sore thumb.

Right that was a little "Okay now guys, give me a break".

evanmisha

Right that was a little "Okay now guys, give me a break".

Oh, and
in the dance number, the dude is like, 'I told you I had a surprise!' which is okay whatever, but... then she knows the choreography too? They're close to their wedding and he does a dance number from the movie they saw on their first date and she somehow remembers the choreography? Is there something I'm missing?

Oh, and
in the dance number, the dude is like, 'I told you I had a surprise!' which is okay whatever, but... then she knows the choreography too? They're close to their wedding and he does a dance number from the movie they saw on their first date and she somehow remembers the choreography? Is there something I'm missing?

I'd say just go with lol its bollywood....they all know the dance numbers to their favorite movies.

Really though this was my reaction...
This_is_ridiculous.gif

Draper

I totally called it. I said 'please God, let this lead into a shitty low budget car chase.'

I couldn't have been more happy that it came to fruition.

I sense8'd it, if you will.

evanmisha

For people wary to jump in to the show, I'd say from my short time with it, the biggest draw has got to be how beautifully executed I find the premise to be. They pull the idea of that connection off really, really well. I don't find the rest of the show to be as heinous as some of the other posters in this thread, but I think if the premise sounds intriguing enough to you, it's definitely worth checking out. Will update as I progress.

Worse dialog than the Matrix sequels?
<internal screaming>

I have not seen it, but damn, no joke, I find it hard to imagine worse dialog than the matrix sequels.

let me rephrase that a little.

It's not all terrible, there are some really bright moments (Scenes) that are pretty entertaining never the less, which help space out the bad dialogue and messiness.

Amir0x

Banned
Worse dialog than the Matrix sequels?
<internal screaming>

I have not seen it, but damn, no joke, I find it hard to imagine worse dialog than the matrix sequels.

At times, it makes the dialogue in the Matrix sequels sound like it was written by Vladimir Nabokov in comparison.

For people wary to jump in to the show, I'd say from my short time with it, the biggest draw has got to be how beautifully executed I find the premise to be. They pull the idea of that connection off really, really well. I don't find the rest of the show to be as heinous as some of the other posters in this thread, but I think if the premise sounds intriguing enough to you, it's definitely worth checking out. Will update as I progress.
yea it's pretty slick. Loved the end of episode 3, esp since we could see it all coming together.

Slacker

I have a feeling gaf8 wouldn't be as riveting.

Gaf8'er: Whoa
Roommate: What?
G8: I was sitting reading neogaf all day and I saw something.
Roommate: What was it?
G8: It was neogaf, but it was the gaming side instead of OT...

Amir0x

Banned
It might surprise you Slacker, but many GAFers have vibrant lives filled with interesting events. You may even be one of them!

Platy

I suddenly feel hyped ..... for a VITA game ?

Slacker

It might surprise you Slacker, but many GAFers have vibrant lives filled with interesting events. You may even be one of them!

Actually now that you mentioned it I heard some noise outside today, but by the time I turned my head four hours later nothing was there.

I was disappointed at first that the whole world was speaking English, but I guess they felt like it'd be challenging to have basically the entire show subtitled, so I'll get used to it.

And I'm hoping to see more about what's happening with a couple of characters in particular where I'm at in the timeline, but they keep spending time on anyone else. I guess that's the good thing about binging - at least I'm not waiting weeks to see what happens.
LOL that could cause a PC gamer to break down. Starting to see some opportunities for drama here, people!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Only 2 episodes in so far but I really like it. It's certainly not what I was expecting. I was expecting it be pretty slick and artsy but it's more like an indie movie. At first it has a very haphazard and inconsequential feel to it but there are enough mindfuck things happening that I find it drawing me in and by the end of episode 2 it's already starting to ramp up.

Gonna go watch some more.

Finished episode 1. Thought it was dope, if a bit weird. Par for the course with these two siblings, though. I loved all the Matrix movies and Cloud Atlas. Hell, I watched Jupiter Ascending a couple weeks ago and even thought it was pretty aight. Anyway, I'm excited to watch more. Nice music, beautiful imagery, and crazy sci-fi happenings. What's not to like?

Takes 7 bloody episodes before the plot takes any baby steps forward.

Not impressed so far, it's incredibly dry.
This is basically what I was gonna post, minus bloody..because I'm a Yank! The show is just all over the place. When it's not, is just a show crawl. I've already watched THIS much, so I'll finish it. Here's hoping we get some answers to what's actually going on and not all this filler.

Oh, and..
giphy.gif

Best part of the show, so far.

Finished episode 1. Thought it was dope, if a bit weird. Par for the course with these two siblings, though. I loved all the Matrix movies and Cloud Atlas. Hell, I watched Jupiter Ascending a couple weeks ago and even thought it was pretty aight. Anyway, I'm excited to watch more. Nice music, beautiful imagery, and crazy sci-fi happenings. What's not to like?

Want me to count the ways ;p

Actually now that you mentioned it I heard some noise outside today, but by the time I turned my head four hours later nothing was there.

I was disappointed at first that the whole world was speaking English, but I guess they felt like it'd be challenging to have basically the entire show subtitled, so I'll get used to it.

And I'm hoping to see more about what's happening with a couple of characters in particular where I'm at in the timeline, but they keep spending time on anyone else. I guess that's the good thing about binging - at least I'm not waiting weeks to see what happens.

LOL that could cause a PC gamer to break down. Starting to see some opportunities for drama here, people!
Haha! This is great!

Want me to count the ways ;p
No need! I know I'm a special case! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom