• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I think the thing is that, likeable as the characters are (and they're great), the series can't stand on just that.

The premise of them swapping around based on their talents and helping each other is the main gimmick of the series. And the execution was only so-so in season 1.

I agree with this, the season 1 did not offer anything at all despite the super likeable characters. that may be fine for an exposition season but they would really have to turn it up in season 2.
I wonder how many viewers did not get past the first 2 episodes, those were really not good. if it's cancelled I blame them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix synthesizes a brainwave symphony for 'Sense8'

To commemorate the series, which is directed by The Matrix's Wachowski siblings, Netflix teamed up with J. Michael Straczynski, the guy who invented Babylon 5, and technologist Patrick Gunderman to create the strangest symphony you've ever heard -- or thought.

The team scanned the brains of eight volunteers as they were shown psychedelic images specifically crafted to elicit an emotional response. Then they assigned a musical value to each resulting alpha, beta, delta and theta wave. "There is something musical about the way the brain works," Straczynski said in the making-of video below. "It's a symphony on it's own terms."

Videos at the link.

Chris1

Finally got around to watching this.. Just finished ep 4. That singing scene towards the end was really good.

Not sure what I think of it yet, seems like it has a lot of promise just hasn't quite got there yet.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope they take the hint and try to condense the story down to 3 seasons at most. I don't want a cliffhanger ending and I certainly don't want a shitty condensed, rushed ending

Finally got around to watching this.. Just finished ep 4. That singing scene towards the end was really good.

Not sure what I think of it yet, seems like it has a lot of promise just hasn't quite got there yet.

I think it all came together for me in episode 5 or 6. Youll know when. Its...different.

Ubersnug

So, after binge watching the whole series over about 3 days, this has became one of my favourite TV shows since Spartacus.

I actually enjoyed how far they went into the characterisations in the show, seems they went a bit deeper than what most shows would do on their first season. And, and I'm hesitant to qualify this post with this, but as a Heterosexual, I actually found the focus on Lito's and Naomi's story and their relationships was one of the most refreshing things to see. Kala's arc was really hard to get into, but as her relationship with Wolfgang started to grow (and finally putting her experience into practice near the end of the series) did she start to show some of the potential she could add to the group.

But yeah, I'm really hoping Netflix invests in a new series as I'm really keen to see where they are going to go with this and how they fight to survive against whispers.

rxdco07

Episode 1 was so crazy, but really like how the story lines developed throughout the rest of the season. Our favorite sensates were: Lito, Capheus, and Sun. The whole series' scenes (backgrounds, frames, world) were shot so well.

mantidor

I think it all came together for me in episode 5 or 6. Youll know when. Its...different.

Same for me, but the hook on episode 4 with everyone singing was important, without it I wouldn't have given the series a chance.

The only issue there is that it really depends whether or not you like 4 Non Blondes' one hit wonder, I wouldn't be surprised most of the audience are 90s kids :p

IKizzLE

Binge watched the entire season yesterday and didn't like it very much.
Outside of the cringe worthy dialogue (I watch CW shows so it wasn't all too bad), a lot of stuff didn't make much sense and the whole premise of swapping was executed poorly. I doubt I'll watch a second season if done. Show was too all over the place for me.

Best parts were Lito, Hernando and Daniela though. Most entertaining dynamic. Kinda sucked that Lito pretty much was nonexistant in most of the "Sense8" parts. Only main contribution was charming some chick and telling the other dude something he should've already known.

Bad to meh all around.

Bossun

Man this show, this fucking show...
A bit confusing at first but then it became soon good. The way they handle the transitions between characters and skill exchange and all is done in such a good way.

Very emotional and the action is definitely there by the end.
I grew attached to all the characters even Kala when her story is the less action packed.

We NEED a second season. I mean that's the Killer 7 of tv show..

Tahnit

Banned
Just finished this show. I want more. This is the most unique and different show i have ever seen. It is beautifully acted and shot. I want MORE.

Goldrush

Just finished and it was pretty much what I hoped for, Cloud Atlas: The Series. However, I'm extremely worried about the Whisper, though. It's interesting, but don't like the idea that a storyline will eventually involves all the sensates. Having each characters living wildly different lives (to a point where each might as well be different genre) is the series greatest strength. Unfortunately, at this point,
Will, Nomi, and Riley
are pretty much stuck with the Whisper storyline.

duckroll

Well, that's great news, but this is such a weird way to announce it, lol. Hope we have a press release with more details soon!

ivysaur12

Banned
Season 2 Coming soon? Soon? next year isn't soon! Surprise season this fall?!?

Given the scope of the project and the fact that all episodes need to be completed before they can even start cutting thing together, I imagine they wouldn't even be ready to premiere before late fall/winter 2016.

Paganmoon

Given the scope of the project and the fact that all episodes need to be completed before they can even start cutting thing together, I imagine they wouldn't even be ready to premiere before late fall/winter 2016.

But it says coming soon, they wouldn't lie to us, would they? :)

CgIz9Ud.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This was posted in the other thread but in case not everyone is checking that thread I figured I'd repost it here.

Season 1 Behind The Scenes on Netflix

Really great stuff, makes me want to watch the show again. I know of lot of these BTS things tend to be overly lovey dovey but you do really get the sense the cast loved working on this show.

Can't wait for season 2!

rexor0717

This was posted in the other thread but in case not everyone is checking that thread I figured I'd repost it here.

Season 1 Behind The Scenes on Netflix

Really great stuff, makes me want to watch the show again. I know of lot of these BTS things tend to be overly lovey dovey but you do really get the sense the cast loved working on this show.

Can't wait for season 2!

Its funny that "duck out real quickly" was used a lot. So simple but it worked.

deleted

I just finished it. First 4 episodes I was amazed by the potential it had and the visuals were pretty overwhelming.

After that it came down a little bit and it was made clear, that the overall plot was advancing very slowly. That was still okay for me though, since I enjoyed pretty much every character on the show.

Tonally it was a bit all over the place though. Sometimes melodramatic, sometimes too actiony for the grit and realism it tried to convey at other times. The Vad Damme stuff especially. I'm not complaining though, because it kept surprising me and even though the tone was inconsistent, it was important to mix it up a little bit and have a little bit of cheesy and comedic bits and pieces involved too.

I liked it very much, the style and the switcheroo didn't get old for me and I enjoyed the season as a whole. Happy it got renewed too. I'm excited to see what they'll come up with next and I think it's the best thing the Wachowskis did in a while.

jb1234

I really enjoyed the show. Just finished it tonight. I grew to love all the characters over time (except maybe Riley and that's mostly because she's boring. Not into her romance with Will either). Above all, I appreciated it because it wears its heart on its sleeve and that's refreshing in this era of relentlessly edgy, cynical television.

On a pet-peeve note, I liked how they used Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto (the first movement) for the closing of Ep 10 but HATED how they hacked it to bits in the process. It was distracting as hell but I'll admit I'm the only one who likely noticed because I know the piece so well.

Fireblend

Banned
Binged through this show this weekend. I know I liked it and can't wait for the second season, but I can see how other people can look at the pieces and go "what the hell?" about how inconsistent and superficial some of the dialog and scenes seem on the surface. Really weird, very Wachowski. Kind of reminds me of Fringe.

AniHawk

finished watching it, and i think my verdict on it is that it's about twice as long as it needs to be. whispers is actually a nightmarish character (the whole 'look at me' scene), and i thought he should have popped up a lot earlier. while i wasn't expecting the group to form as a superteam until the latter half of the season, but i didn't think all of that would be condensed into the last episode of the season. i liked that we got to see people lead their normal lives and slowly help each other out and realize what they were, but each storyline was some sort of retread of something else. aside from the cast, the only thing the show really has going for it is the superpower aspect, which is interesting and cool. there's just no main driving force for the plot, so the show meanders around until it abruptly ends.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think I liked the whole thing overall. It's pretty silly, so I don't judge it too harshly.

Riley is most definitely the least interesting character, even though her part was the climax. Her London parts were really unnecessary.

Also, don't eat while you watch the last two episodes. :|

pringles

I kinda loved Season 1. They should have probably condensed some storylines a bit (Riley, Lito, Nomi, Kala) and cut it down to 8-10 episodes to improve pacing, and I really HATED that everyone talked english instead of their native languages (would have added a lot to the authenticity and international feel of the show), but the production values are great, the cast is a really strong group that doesn't seem to have a weak link (though I'm not a Nomi fan), and it just comes together beautifully in the sequences where they start helping eachother out.

Looking forward to Season 2.

SL128

I kinda loved Season 1. They should have probably condensed some storylines a bit (Riley, Lito, Nomi, Kala) and cut it down to 8-10 episodes to improve pacing, and I really HATED that everyone talked english instead of their native languages (would have added a lot to the authenticity and international feel of the show), but the production values are great, the cast is a really strong group that doesn't seem to have a weak link (though I'm not a Nomi fan), and it just comes together beautifully in the sequences where they start helping eachother out.

Looking forward to Season 2.
The handling of language was explained in one of the episodes at least. I've not seen anyone in this thread bringing up how messed up the handling of timezones is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom