• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense8 |OT| First there was One, now there are Eight - Netflix - *S1 spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aaaaand, they're filming

https://twitter.com/MsJamieClayton/status/682581724769968128

@MsJamieClayton
#HNY #Sense8 #setlife #Berlin 🤓

CXkEc_WWwAA1MOt.jpg

Montresor

This is one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I'm a little ashamed of what my former opinions were related to transgender people. I remember I posted in an older GAF thread about how a certain transgender woman should be called a "he" because the person looked male. I've thought about this more and more and one thing that has completely changed my way of thinking is when Nomi's mom kept calling her Michael. It made my blood boil. I'm now of the opinion that gender is related to identity where previously I'd say gender is rigid and should be based on the organs you currently have or even the organs you were born with.

Whether you identify as a female or a male, I'll be using your preferred pronoun and name. I'll call Nomi, Nomi. I'll say she. I'll say her. It's true Nomi is an absolutely gorgeous woman, so it's inherently easy to do this but I'm still thinking back to that original GAF thread, where someone who was born a boy identified as a girl and KILLED herself and yet I posted back then "this person looks like a boy I'm going to use the word 'he' to describe him". I won't do this again.

I can't stress enough just how much I love this show. My favourites are Nomi and Daniella. I love how Daniella has completely transformed from what seemed like a superficial gossip girl to one of Lito and Hernandez's best friends. Their friendship warmed my heart, and it broke my heart too when Lito felt his career was worth more than Daniella's happiness and safety...

There's just so much that's good about this show. I love that it feels like it's a cross between Fringe and Heroes and Lost. In the early episodes I loved the idea of slowly memorizing what each of the eight's identities were (ethnicity, sexual orientation, occupation, place of residence, etc...). This show is like Fringe in the sense that the backdrop of the story involves a mix of science fiction and fantasy. The show is a bit like Heroes in the sense that you're following a diverse cast of likeable heroes and it's important to know the identity / "superpower" of each hero and, particularly in Sense8's case, it's fun to memorize the unique qualities of each hero. And it's a bit like the first season of Lost in the sense that you learn so much about different characters back stories from episode to episode.

I'm STOKED to hear there is a second season coming. Netflix are the best show runners right now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Sense8′: Aml Ameen Replaced By Toby Onwumere In Wachowskis’ Netflix Series

The Capheus “Van Damme” character on the Wachowski siblings’ Netflix drama series Sense8 will look a little different in Season 2. We have learned that British actor Aml Ameen, who played the role in Season 1, has abruptly left the show, and the role has been recast with recent UC San Diego MFA acting graduate Toby Onwumere.

iiQTzrU.png

The circumstances behind Ameen’s exit are murky but sources indicate that there had been some sort of conflict between Ameen and Sense8 co-creator/executive producer/director Lana Wachowski that flared up at the Season 2 table read in Berlin and worsened as filming progressed in India, leading to Ameen’s exit a couple of episodes in and the recasting of the role. Creative differences may have played a role in the departure.

ughghghg

Montresor

No! This is so disappointing to hear. The new Capheus doesn't look anything like the old one... Where are the floppy ears and wide goofy smile? =(

In my eyes one of the show's monumental strengths was the roster. When I think of Sense8 I immediately think of all 8 of the main characters: Kala, William, Riley, Nomi, Wolfie, Sun, Capheus, Lito. I think about everything that defines them. The most fun aspect of watching this show was being able to name off the entire roster one by one and listing off all sorts of characteristics for each person - ethnicity, nationality, country/city of residence, sexual orientation, relationship status, occupation, skills, personality... You take away one from that roster and that changes my outlook of the show. =/

Well, this new Capheus will still be the legendary owner of the "Van Damme". He'll still be in Kenya, still be single, still be taking care of his sick Mom, he'll still be there to provide support for the rest of the sensates... So there's that. It just really bothers me that his likeness is now completely changed. I cannot stress enough how much "the roster" enhances my enjoyment of this show, and now Capheus is going to look completely different.

I'm prepared to give season 2 a chance but this news really bothers me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shame. The previous actor had an air of naïveté and natural charisma in his performance that really helped shape the character.

Wonder what happened between them. Anyway, I'll keep an open mind with the new actor.

DJKhaled

Damn, no Riley dissing allowed, she is bae. Also, this guy just doesn't seem like he'll work as Van Damme, he was such a happy charismatic guy, I know it's just a headshot but this guy seems so serious and not at all what Van Damme was like.

Montresor

Seeing Nomi Marks celebrate this news has improved my mood. If there's any chance the old Capheus was bigoted towards gays or transgendered people then good riddance.

One of the show's defining characteristics is tolerance but also the show was not for anyone with delicate or overly conservative sensibilities. Whether Lito is reminiscing about giving Hernando fellatio, or Nomi and Neets are using a strapon together, or Wolfie brutally unloads an entire gun clip into his uncle's face (with an unflinching camera close up), or whether child births are depicted up close and personal.... none of it seems like it's for the faint of heart. The show is gruesome in its violence and visceral and messy and proud when it comes to sex and nudity for both straight and alternative life styles.

Croc

Banned
I'm not jumping to conclusions about any of this. Lana has said some pretty anti-black things in the past (and as far as I know stuck by them) so especially considering this conflict was with the one black member of the main cast, I'm not assuming anything.

I mean seeing the other cast members chime in makes me doubt it's this, but Lana still seems like a pretty terrible person so I wouldn't put much past her.

Platy

I'm not jumping to conclusions about any of this. Lana has said some pretty anti-black things in the past (and as far as I know stuck by them) so especially considering this conflict was with the one black member of the main cast, I'm not assuming anything.

...it is either lacking more stuff or I am not sure I understand why this is anti black ... because she mentioned that A FEW black people who are against trans people on bathrooms ... she is not saying EVERY black people.

Like saying "i don't understand why some gay people are against trans people using the right bathrooms because those discriminations against trans people have the same root that homophobia" ... this is not anti gay... it is anti transphobic gay people =P

edit : Like Ben Carson not noticing the coincidence that his use of "makes people unconfortable" is pretty close to actual reasons used to to avoid black people and white people use the same bathroom/fountains ! DUDE EVEN ASKED FOR A TRANS SPECIFIC BATHROOM !

I mean seeing the other cast members chime in makes me doubt it's this, but Lana still seems like a pretty terrible person so I wouldn't put much past her.

as long as you aren't assuming anything

mantidor

We can really only conclude it was bad, you don't recast such big role just because, but... I also think a transphobic wouldn't had even touched season 1, so jumping into these accusations is pretty hasty in my eyes, and also really, I don't think this has anything to do with race.

This is honestly reading to me as someone was being kind of a diva, but I'm not sure which one was, maybe both persons :p

Well now I am a bit less excited for season 2, I absolutely loved the original Van dam because of how naturally naive he comes off in his performance

DJKhaled

Well if it is true he was transphobic then fuck him, though if that's not true I am still sad because he played that role well.

Moff

yeah definitely seems like he was transphobic, I liked him a lot in the show but if that's true there was no way around recasting him

I hope they try to work this into the show and don't just randomly replace him. I still have issues with the MCU continuity because they replaced the guy who plays warmachine, between ironman 1 and 2. Recasting sucks, but it sucks even more if they just pretend it didn't happen. Make it something that works within the universe.

Slacker

Sounds like it's time to make some changes to the show in general. Season 2: Sense7. Next season, Sense6, etc.

Seems kind of crappy calling the guy transphobic when we have no idea what happened. He could have just hated the script, which is about the only clue we have from the article (creative differences). If the start of season 2 is as bad as the end of season 1 (IMO of course), I can imagine someone not being crazy about it.

KarmaCow

Well damn, Capheus was probably my favourite of the cluster in no small part due to the actor. The new guy doesn't even look like him at all, it's bizarre.

Something serious must have went down but hopefully this is for the best. The show loses so much without the chemistry within the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom