• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV Thailand stage removed from store: Speculates BGM using "islamic prayer"

joe2187

Banned
SFV-Thailand-Stage-2.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/2017/04/26/str...ge-removed-from-the-shop-bgm-may-be-at-fault/

Reports of Street Fighter V users unable to purchase the new Temple Hideout stage–part of the large update SFV received yesterday–started circulating last night, shortly after the content launched. It seems now that the stage has been outright removed from Steam and the in-game Shop; players that have already purchased the stage are offering mixed reports of it being still selectable in-game, or not. [I have personally verified on PlayStation 4 that the stage is playable, but no longer appears in the Shop listings. – Editor]

You can hear the original BGM here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_AEkLRBBGU

Wallach

Bummer, I was using it yesterday. Other than the chants its one of the best tracks in SFV so I kinda hope that is the reason.

Neoxon

Hopefully they put the stage back up ASAP. I can't imagine that removing the Islamic prayer would take that long.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't get how that's an issue.

Now where have I heard this before...

Amazed this got through to retail considering this audio sample's history.

Edit: This is the same audio sample used in Ocarina of Time 1.0 Fire Temple, Cruis'n World, Kakuto Chojin...

I just don't get how that's an issue.

The usage of Islamic prayer for anything but prayer is something of a touchy subject, especially if such prayer quotes the Quran, of which it is a sin (or otherwise heavily frowned upon) to quote it incorrectly; some prayers also have contextual connotations that are immediately invalidated if used in music. Ocarina of Time wound up with a similar situation back when it came out: Summary here.

NastyBook

The redeux theme was pretty bad anyway. This gives them a chance to take the prayer out and make an entirely better version as well. Win, win!

Wew.

Probably not a good idea for that sample to be in the BGM for the Thailand stage too.

Even if it wasnt islamic prayer (which sounds like it is, the last verse of it from what Ive heard) fail to see how arabic relates to Thailand as a whole.

Marcel

So where does this infamous Islamic prayer sample even come from? Is it part of some audio suite or sample package? I feel like I've heard about this happening numerous times.

Oh shit, I almost forgot that OoT had something similar.

Shame 'cos the chant in the original Fire Temple theme is beautiful and suits the ambient sounds really well.

*EDIT* Holy shit the SFV theme actually uses the same chant! Someone needs to bin those sample packs from the 90s.

eot

Banned
The usage of Islamic prayer for anything but prayer is something of a touchy subject, especially if such prayer quotes the Quran, of which it is a sin (or otherwise heavily frowned upon) to quote it incorrectly; some prayers also have contextual connotations that are immediately invalidated if used in music. Ocarina of Time wound up with a similar situation back when it came out: Summary here.
I still don't see how that's an issue. It's okay to make sacreligeous things.

Kart94

Banned
Could they have just made a patch removing whatever questionable thing instead of just throwing the baby along the water by removing stuff from stores?

The same composer who did Juri's? I really don't understand how Capcom works, releasing a stage and be removed soon after when its not appropriate.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member

I suppose that's a good enough explanation. Islam really needs to get on with the times.

Isn't Thailand like 93% Buddhist or something like that?

Wiki says 5% Islam but yeah, your point still stands.

Madao

it's always the islamic sound samples.

when will devs learn to not put those in games? it always causes problems.

How about leaving the stage for sale and then patching it up if someone complains hard enough? sounds simple right? That is what they should have done.
Same end result? Maybe they didn't properly get royalties for the chant? Who knows, it's not a big deal. It'll get fixed, it'll go on sale again

Top Bottom