• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV Thailand stage removed from store: Speculates BGM using "islamic prayer"

ShyMel

While there are Muslims in Thailand, they worship in mosques, not Buddhists temples, so unless the sound bit is just labeled as generic praying, not sure why it was used. In fact, after the Zelda issue (and I believe another game used it as well), you would think devs would have looked into sourcing sound pieces from other places.

I suppose that's a good enough explanation. Islam really needs to get on with the times.

Wiki says 5% Islam but yeah, your point still stands.

Yeah, fair point. So it may be less 'Muslims object to usage of islamic prayer in song', more 'Buddhists object to a temple based on their faith using a chant from another'. Or heck even just some employee at Capcom realising how off that was.

Cepheus

very disappointed this isn't a real site

It's not currently, but some GAF member will probably make it a real site now.

This seems to happen a lot. as others have said. 1) Why include it in the first place, and 2) Why on a Buddhist temple stage? That would be like putting church pipe organ music on the stage.

-shadow-

That's the exact same sample that Ocarina of Time used, it's amazing that all these years later it's still being used.

It's not currently, but some GAF member will probably make it a real site now.

This seems to happen a lot. as others have said. 1) Why include it in the first place, and 2) Why on a Buddhist temple stage?

Most probable reasons:
1) They wanted some kind of background chant to give off a sacred air to the temple, for exotic appeal.
2) The devs (or at least, the person who sampled the audio) spoke none of the relevant languages involved here, and so couldn't tell something was wrong.

JusDoIt

I hope they keep that theme just with the vocals edited out. I like it much better than Dictator's character theme in SFV.

Kamina

Golden Boy
The voices at the start litterally sound like OoT V1's Firetemple chants. Maybe its even the same stock track nintendo used.

rrs

The voices at the start litterally sound like OoT V1's Firetemple chants. Maybe its even the same stock track nintendo used.
pretty much
Didn't know about OoT. I assume the soundtrack was edited once it hit vc and the 3D remake?
removed before launch, but after 1.0 went gold after the dev team was informed of the Islamic references in the sample used.

Caj814

That's the exact same sample that Ocarina of Time used, it's amazing that all these years later it's still being used.

Has anyone ever tracked down where the stock sample originated from? Did someone create it just to troll uninformed music creators into using it for a track so they could receive backlash for it?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zelda
Kakuto Chojin
Little Big Planet

They never learn...

PSqueak

Banned
I still don't see how that's an issue. It's okay to make sacreligeous things.

It's not social critic or satire, so it's pointless.

Plus in the context of SFV, it's culturally inapropiate and inaccurate.

It's like making a movie "set in japan" but everything shown in screen is of chinese culture.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Capcom is a mess

PSqueak

Banned
pretty much
removed before launch, but after 1.0 went gold after the dev team was informed of the Islamic references in the sample used.

Some batches made it to the public tho! if you have a gold OoT cart, you have the chants along red blood Ganondorf.

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised it was used mostly for how infamous the basic islamic chant is now. Like, how could they miss that?

-shadow-

Has anyone ever tracked down where the stock sample originated from? Did someone create it just to troll uninformed music creators into using it for a track so they could receive backlash for it?

Voice Spectral Vol. 1 I believe it was, I think it was on the Zelda Dungeon there were tracking down more different stock libraries.

Edit: I see I'm already beaten in this regard. And Zelda Universe I see ^^'

I'm surprised it was used mostly for how infamous the basic islamic chant is now. Like, how could they miss that?

Most probable reasons:
1) They wanted some kind of background chant to give off a sacred air to the temple, for exotic appeal.
2) The devs (or at least, the person who sampled the audio) spoke none of the relevant languages involved here, and so couldn't tell something was wrong.

Second point. I mean, I couldn't casually identify an islamic prayer if I heard one, so it's not that hard to imagine someone not realising, so long as the file name of the source didn't literally read 'Islamic prayer' or some such.

How about leaving the stage for sale and then patching it up if someone complains hard enough? sounds simple right? That is what they should have done.

A company like Capcom is deathly afraid of any type of lawsuit. The smart thing to do is to pull it down as fast as possible before someone complains and put it back up when they fix it.

They probably hired some freelancer with some old ass royalty free CD's and sound samples to make the music like they do the characters I don't think SFV has any internal Capcom staff working on the art or music anymore, if they ever did some of the base game stuff was made by different outsource companies.

NEO0MJ

Second point. I mean, I couldn't casually identify an islamic prayer if I heard one, so it's not that hard to imagine someone not realising, so long as the file name of the source didn't literally read 'Islamic prayer' or some such.

I just feel it's one of those phrases that immedietlly ring to mind even if you don't speak the language. If someone says "Allah Akbar!" even in a low voice it will send people running for the hills. Plus, I'm sure more than one person were exposed to this track.

Piers

Some batches made it to the public tho! if you have a gold OoT cart, you have the chants along red blood Ganondorf.

No wonder I swore up and down that I heard the chanting, because I was spooked hearing it at first as a kid -- that memory is distinct enough.

rrs

yeah, golds are 1.0, 1.2 would only show up later down the line after the 1.1 grey copies got through retail which had the chanting an gannon bleeding red

Why would they use a islamic chant for a thailand stage?

Because nobody at Capcom knew it was one, the track name on the sample library is just 'track 76' and the name of the library is 'voice spectral vol. 1'

This mistake keeps happening for that exact same reason, a musician hears a nice sounding vocal sample and uses it for their work, not realizing that there's history behind that exact sample.

Ashtar

Jeez why does this keep happening? I mean where is this sample from? We need to get gamings best dick on the case to get us some answers

Why would they use a islamic chant for a thailand stage?

Jeez why does this keep happening? I mean where is this sample from? We need to get gamings best dick on the case to get us some answers

Because nobody at Capcom knew it was one, the track name on the sample library is just 'track 76' and the name of the library is 'voice spectral vol. 1'

This mistake keeps happening for that exact same reason, a musician hears a nice sounding vocal sample and uses it for their work, not realizing that there's history behind that exact sample.

NEO0MJ

Didn't this happen with LittleBigPlanet?

Kinda. They used an actual phrase from the Quran about death and it seemed the composer knew what he was doing?

Already answered above by someone!

Cruisn World has it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFVLlz0oL4

Somehow they got away with it to my knowledge so i dont see why other games couldnt?

Because who gives a fuck about Cruisn? Plus it was really, really old. Maybe if the internet was more widespread at the time it would have been picked up.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I still don't see how that's an issue. It's okay to make sacreligeous things.

It's absolutely okay to make sacrilegious things, and it's also okay for a company to avoid accidentally inserting sacrilege into a commercial product that is in no way intended to make religious or political statements.

Even if there's an argument to be made about how nobody SHOULD have a legitimate complaint about it on the basis of secular societal values, etc, Capcom really has nothing to gain by taking that kind of stand.

Leatherface

Who gives a shit?

The usage of Islamic prayer for anything but prayer is something of a touchy subject, especially if such prayer quotes the Quran, of which it is a sin (or otherwise heavily frowned upon) to quote it incorrectly; some prayers also have contextual connotations that are immediately invalidated if used in music. Ocarina of Time wound up with a similar situation back when it came out: Summary here.

ah okay. I understand.

Thats really ridiculous and kind of offensive itself.

The second part atleast

Cruisn World has it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFVLlz0oL4

Somehow they got away with it to my knowledge so i dont see why other games couldnt?

Cruisn' World's release predates OoT.

It is conceivable that the use of the sample in that game is what alerted Nintendo to potential controversy in the first place, but Midway's game is not Nintendo's game, so either it was more difficult to prevent future revisions/shipments of the game from containing that sample, or Midway's game didn't sell enough copies to justify a new release with new code.

In either case I don't think they 'got away' with it given the timeline and how they revised OoT.

Thats really ridiculous and kind of offensive itself.

The second part atleast

??

im getting ocarina of time flashbacks.
Like the pop fiction episode that totally has not been linked 25 times already said that OOT one is weird in that going by the ROM dates Nintendo had addressed the problem before the game launched but I guess they didn't deem it a big enough reason to destroy the carts (well given the supply problems they had in some regions and not wanting yet another delay I can see it not being a priority).

At this point I want to see them replace it with the same choir sample that the Fire Temple did because it's the same chant.

Übermatik;234793738 said:
*EDIT* Holy shit the SFV theme actually uses the same chant! Someone needs to bin those sample packs from the 90s.
A mislabeled sample can endure for decades. How often do you hear something like this in the Jungle or a forest (Tarzan, Wizard of Oz):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZbykXlg6Q
They don't live in jungles...

Murkas

Lol it's the exact same sample from OoT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQ9lmriWOc

Top Bottom