• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheldon Cooper is such an unbelievable little shit. Why is he so adored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because most people aren't discerning about the media they consume so a lot of absolute garbage that caters to the lowest common denominator becomes really popular.

Davey Cakes

Relationships ruined the show. I like TBBT in the first few seasons when all the guys were single and hopeless. The one episode where Howard and Raj went to the gothic club and gets shot down by some goth girls for having fake tattoos was funny.
I'm glad we can agree on this, and that we're not alone.

Relationships ruined the show. I like TBBT in the first few seasons when all the guys were single and hopeless. The one episode where Howard and Raj went to the gothic club and gets shot down by some goth girls for having fake tattoos was funny.

Yeah, I guess they wanted to have some character growth, but all they did was water down what they had, and turned the show into a weaker version of Friends, but for nerds.

Dark_castle

Sheldon would be okay if he was more "like able" more often. For example, when Howard's mom died, he was a true friend. When he did that one-on-one love test with Penny, he was honest and relatable. Because he's so off putting so much of he time, these moments have meaning and hit harder. It's just that you only get them once or twice a season.

Raj is the real asshole of the show.

I was so dumbfounded by the writer for making Sheldon run away from the tunnel abruptly, leaving Raj alone with the rats after he shown some actual personality and humane traits and having heartfelt conversation between the two, just for comedy sake.

Howard is the only male character in the show that actually had an arc and developed better over time. I mean he went from a poorly written asshole pervert to a human being with fears,faults but having a good heart to do the right thing.

Scratch that, he is the only character who had an arc period.

No, Howard's still all of those things, and Sheldon has developed far more while never having been as knowingly asshole from the start. Fuck Howard.

Black_Red

But TBBT is definitely not made for nerds though

I'd say the first seasons were made for nerds, lots of jokes about (basic) physics that were not explained and some obscure references.
giphy.gif

But the show went to shit really fast (you can notice how as the show became popular they started explaining every "nerd joke"), and it died to me with the inclusion of Bernadette and Amy.

(Maybe I just liked this and HIMYM for being the first two american sitcoms I watched when I started college)

Quixzlizx

I think Sheldon is funnier when he isn't talking. Occasionally even he figures out that he has been defeated in a battle of wits, and his eye starts bulging and he starts twitching. That's more of an acknowledgement of defeat than you'll get on Facebook.

Fularu

Banned
yes i'm talking about the "i'm such a nerd" thing just because they like something.

B22bdMDIgAIg6c-.jpg

they probably like him because "he's such a nerd"

I'm not sure people are using it in the proper context.

I'm prety sure the girl is mocking whoever is playin games as "beeing a nerd". The dude (probably trying to hit on her) misunderstands her (and believes she'S a nerd playing games) and gets creamed.

Cool, I'm gonna make a show that's not for black people, but about black people. Got any advice?

Even if someone could pull that off without being horribly offensive, wouldn't it be completely pointless? Pretty sure it would just fall back on stereotypes and uninsightful rehashing of tropes, just like BBT.

Check out Mr. Robinson a show about a black guy [starring Craig Robinson] but it wasn't for black people. Which is why it was cancelled after 6 episodes and also it was really bad

llien

Sheldons acts like a child and is judged as such.

Comparing him to sadistic monstrosity like Joffrey is beyond ridiculous.

shaneo632

Is Sheldon supposed to be likeable? I haven't seen the show since season 1 so I can't really remember.

I mean, the Seinfeld comparison breaks down for me if so because the characters on Seinfeld are clearly supposed to be self-centered assholes who even get their own comeuppance in the final episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom