• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shia LaBeouf is streaming himself watching all of his own movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give this event a 10/10. It was oddly fascinating watching somebody else watch their own life's work. Even little things like eating were interesting. Sounds weird but it was just....interesting.

I think it's just great to watch another dude just be themselves and sincere/genuine. It's pretty rare these days since everyone is always trying to maintain a certain image at all times, even with their friends/peers. You can tell a lot of it was sincere.

Kickz

oL3xk9z.gif

Well guess I need to see Even Stevens Movie, PRONTO

The people who made this happen, NewHive, did an interview with each other of what it all was about (mostly about making a connection and dropping the celebrity vs public wall). Some talk about intellectualising performance art and the elitism of the art world. It's pretty neat and humbling.

"...after Lawless, the movies got harder but the experience got easier."

#ALLMYMOVIES: a Conversation With LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner

SHIABLOG.gif

"This shit changed my coffee order name, which in turn, changed my sense of self."

LaBeouf: I can’t articulate how big this was. I don’t even know yet. All I know is I feel the weight of it. I’m walking through the streets and I’m smiling, like a cartoon character…I felt extraordinary support…Once you press play on your life and you open up and there’s that vulnerability and not only are people getting the artistic side of you but they’re getting the human side of you, watching that, you’ve shared everything. And the fact that you can walk out of there and people are still nodding at you and giving you a thumb’s up…it’s something else. I really don’t even know what it is yet, because I haven’t sat on it or done any writing or thought about it at all. I just know if I can explain a feeling, I feel lighter today. I feel love today. It’s as simple as this: I used to order my coffee and when they’d say, “Hey what’s your name?” I’d say James, because I didn’t want them to say my name.

Turner: Someone walked up in the gallery we were in today and said, “Hey, are you Shia?” and normally every time we’re together it’s like “no no no.” But for the first time ever today, “Hey are you Shia?” “Yeah.”

LaBeouf: I would never claim my name. And today it’s just something different, it’s as simple as that. And it’s not through thought it’s just “that’s me” and I’m cool with that. It’s the first time really in my life, before the other shows, because all of the other shows never changed my coffee order name. This shit changed my coffee order name, which in turn, changed my sense of self.​

"I feel distance in the movie game."

LaBeouf: It’s just lonely…all I really want to do is be a part of…I feel distance in the movie game, because I don’t do it the same way they do it…and then you feel exiled from life, because you’re some celebrity character or a fuck up, and then you get in part of this art crowd and you’re like “Oh this where all the people who feel like outsiders go” and then you go to the outsider club and you’re an outsider in the outsider club. But then when I looked at the [event] poster, not even the site, but the poster and saw NewHive was right there I was just like wow this shit’s official. I have respect for a lot of the NewHive artists. I go to NewHive, I like their work. My favorite digital artist is on your guys’ site and she showed up at our show. And I was trying to kill my fanboy but I was like wow this is fucking huge. May [Waver] is my favorite digital artist. Period. She’s affected me more than any of this other arty shit I’ve seen. I listen to her Lullabies on my own time, not for a show-off, not for a diatribe, learning art, none of that. I listen to her because I like listening to her work and watching it. It’s peaceful, like some kind of meditation. So when she’s at the show it just felt like fuck this is crazy. And I walked back into the theater like, “You’re a part of this…you’re part of this club that you’ve always wanted to be a part of.”…Me just trying to intellectualize it now, I don’t have the words. My feelings, though, didn’t lie to me.​

Cynical journalists changed their tune when people responded to the event favourably.

Verdin: With this project, the reach that it got right out the gate, it’s almost as if the journalists who were trying to separate Shia from the work, call him crazy and sort of be done with it, it was almost as if the masses were just speaking up so loudly that by the end of the project a lot of them changed their tune.

Turner: Such warmth.

Verdin: It was almost as if they reached this point where they couldn’t lie to themselves. The initial voice that they had about it, that fit this mold of what they were expecting, got drowned out by the response of the people.​

"Making pizza can be an art."

LaBeouf: ...You’re not born an artist, or everyone is. You’re not born an actor, or everyone is. It’s about drive, a dedication level to this very specific thing. Roofers, pizza guys, anyone can be an artist. Anybody who’s great at anything. Making pizza can be an art.

Rönkkö: We were getting pizza in London once and this guy had a massive “I love pizza” tattoo on his neck. He was so dedicated.

LaBeouf: That guy is an artist. If you eat his pizza you get it. But you gotta eat the pizza. If you’re over here and just staring at the pizza you don’t get it. You see that it might be aesthetically brilliant, you might even smell it from here–

Verdin: Or you might be like this dude’s fucking crazy, he’s got “I love pizza” tattooed on him.

Turner: Exactly. And you haven’t tried his pizza yet.​

Turning down celebs to come in like Kid Cudi, nostalgia over Even Stevens, "in that room it was egalitarian".

Verdin: ...What really stood out was turning away the celebrities who were showing up and wanted to cut the line.

LaBeouf: It would be cool as fuck to have Kid Cudi sitting in your movie theater. He’s Kid Cudi, I like his stuff, but none of that shit was about me when we were in there. I’m there and I’m in it, but that would change the whole environment, and then the show becomes about something totally different. In that room it was egalitarian. Yes, I was being stared at and I’m the focal point and the pointing is happening, but the pointing is happening for me too. If we’re all pointing, then we’re on the same level. Yes it’s a film festival where you’re watching all of my movies, but a lot of this stuff—especially Even Stevens…the Even Stevens Movie was interesting, it’s all of our childhood. It’s mine and it’s yours. It wasn’t just me smiling like that. If you look at the freeze frames, everyone is smiling like wow, I remember Beans. I remember that stupid-ass song. We were all looking at our yearbook together and we’re all in the yearbook. It felt like family, we were sitting there like a high school class. These are strangers, people I never met before. You don’t leave a museum friends with people. One guy was telling me he had just moved to New York three months prior and didn’t know nobody…he said he had 13 new friends, 13 new contacts of people he wanted to hang out with….The goal walking in is to highlight the connectivity of the networks.

Turner: Not just to highlight it, but to engage it.

LaBeouf: When you simplify it and take away all the art shit waffle talk, that’s really what it comes down to.​

"They expected me to do some high wire act."

LaBeouf: I never really looked around the room until the last couple of movies. And when I started looking around the room, no one was looking at me. The last couple of movies it became more than what it started as. When it first came in, Man Down is a movie that hasn’t been released yet, we just showed it at two film festivals, and no one was watching the movie. Everyone who came into the theater sat down and stared at me. And I felt it. And then they left with-in ten minutes, because they expected me to do some high wire act. That’s not what we were there to do. Towards the middle you caught a bit of both, people would laugh when I laughed, so they were still hyper-aware, I would laugh at things that weren’t necessarily jokes and then the room would start laughing. But by the third day, nobody in the room was focused on me. Not one person was looking at me and I thought, “Wow this has nothing to do with me and nothing to do with the movies.” Because we’re watching a movie that’s dubbed in Russian, none of us understand what the fuck this is about, it has to do with the fact that we all got through this and it became something else. You can’t really articulate it and say “Oh, it was for this it was for that.” It was for the event that was created. And when we all got through it, it wasn’t just an applaud for me…it was like this cool little pause in life where all of the hubbub and all of the Bzzzz of running around and the busy-ness and the phones shut down and everything got really intimate and quiet. For what reason? No one knows. We still don’t fully know. But it created something that is bigger than all of us, all of the movies and all of the crowd. It’s connection. We were all connected for that moment. More-so for this show, then any other show we’ve done.​

Nostalgia of Even Stevens, newly formed.

Rönkkö: One of the most interesting parts of the show for me was Even Stevens, because that’s not my childhood. I didn’t know the show before meeting Shia, like two years ago. The room went crazy during that movie and just the atmosphere of the room made me so happy and feeling connected to everyone. Sometimes there were a few moments where I was like, “Wait why am I laughing?” This is not even funny, but it is because everyone’s laughing. I was nostalgic because everyone else was nostalgic. I was feeling the feelings with them and through them.

Turner: I was really emotional during that. I was feeling this kind of weird nostalgia for something that I’d never seen before, because there was this nostalgia in the room, which had something to do with the tiredness of the people going in, you have no barrier.

LaBeouf: There’s no intellectual explanation for why when you yawn I yawn. There’s something magical that goes down. I’m sure there’s science but there’s also something beyond the science.​

Yeah, LaBeouf, there is some science to it. Mirror neurons.

"When the movies started getting shit...I'm in the same boat as you."

Turner: There was one point, I don’t know if you noticed it, where the audience suddenly realized that you were in the same boat as them.

LaBeouf: I think it started after Lawless. When the movies started getting shit. I’m telling you. When the movies started getting shit and they knew that I felt it too, it was the shared secret that we all had…not just because I’m in it…I’m in the same boat as you, I’m a viewer in this and this is hard for me to watch too. In fact, I’m gonna go take a nap ‘cause I hate myself, not ‘cause I’m tired, but because I’m dying right now. And nobody had a problem with that. When I woke up an hour later and watched Transformers 2 they could feel when I sunk in my seat. That’s not a performative thing. That’s me going through some kind of crisis. And I’m not the only one. I remember right before I fell asleep I looked next to me and the guy next to me was falling asleep. You can see it on the screenshot we’re both asleep. And the guy behind us is asleep.

Rönkkö: I think it’s almost like synching of emotions. I did this performance where I was holding people’s hands and we couldn’t see each other. And the people who stayed for a long time, our heartbeats synched. It was such a strange magical experience. If you hold someone’s hand for half an hour you will feel it, their pulse synchs. Slowly, but it does. Same thing happens with emotions.

LaBeouf: We were laughing at things that weren’t jokes onscreen.

Turner: Or the utter sexism of Dumb and Dumberer. Sexist, racist, homophobic, it was utterly deplorable.

LaBeouf: We were all feeling it. There wasn’t one person in that movie who didn’t feel it.

Turner: Except maybe this one guy who thought it was the funniest film ever. That was very strange.​

The girls who ordered pizza, reminiscent of Shoe On Head, to see it delivered to Shia on-screen.

Verdin: ...One of the things that happened was these girls called and they were young and were like “We’re going to send a pizza!” and to look out for it. The pizza shows up and I take it downstairs and put it in the break room. You were still on a film. And about 15 minutes later they call me and they say, “Did you get the pizza? Did you give it to Shia?” And I said, “Yeah, I put it down in the break room. I’ll definitely go down and let them know that you delivered a pizza when it’s over.” And then they called me about ten minutes later, “Can you actually just like bring the pizza down the aisle and like give it to him.” And you could tell these girls, I don’t know how old they were, it was like a medium pizza from Dominoes, but they were sitting around the phone, watching this live stream, just like all they wanted was to see you have the pizza. So I went there and I said to you, like, “Hey man, these girls gave you the pizza.”

LaBeouf: Pepperoni jalapeño. Amazing.

Verdin: I don’t know if you realized this but there was a moment where you walked back in the theater and you sat down and you were finishing the piece of pizza. I don’t know if you were consciously doing that—

LaBeouf: No. I was just eating pizza.

Verdin: For me, I got chills, goosebumps, in that, because all I was thinking about was these girls, watching that live stream, knowing that they had just bought you that pizza. And now they’re connected to it too.

LaBeouf: Not just me, but that pizza went around the room. It was the first time I had really looked at people. I remember saying, “Hey man, you want pizza?” and they looked at me like, “Holy shit. Yeah I want pizza.” And they took the pizza and everybody started sharing pizza around the room and we were all sitting there eating pizza that these girls had ordered, we don’t know nothing about the girls who ordered it, everyone was enjoying a meal together. There was a point where I remember eating the pizza and this guy in the back got the pizza and he was like, “Fuck yeah! Pizza!” Everybody giggled. It was humanizing for me.​

"I think people hate me. That's just what goes on in my head. And all I want to do is be liked."

LaBeouf: It amplified it being in a small room like that. Everyone in that theater could throw popcorn at me. See I thought it was going to be—

Turner: Really, you thought people were going to throw popcorn at you?

LaBeouf: Yeah, I always go into these things every time—and this is my self-hate at work—what if they light my hair on fire? And Luke’s like, “Nobody is going to light your hair on fire.” But this is a genuine fear of mine. I think people hate me. That’s just what goes on in my head. And all I want to do is be liked. Men, women, people don’t really want a lot. A person to talk to, and not have problems with nobody, I think it gets really simple when you get to the bottom of it. For an actor, for a fireman, it don’t matter, you just want to be liked. You don’t even necessarily want to be liked or loved. You just don’t want anyone to hate you. I walked out loving myself. Not in some grandiose, you’re fucking awesome way, but in like, you’re a part of a community. You’re a part of this human thing. You’re in this human thing. I’ve always felt as though, “I’m just an animal in this human thing. And I’ll play the human game. I’ll wear the human mask.” But coming out of there, it’s the first time I’ve actually felt part of this —it was very humanizing for me. I walked out loving myself. And I don’t think I was the only one to feel that.​

"Sincerity is the new punk rock."

Turner: When I first started talking to Shia and he said straight away, let’s do something, let’s collaborate, gallerist friends were like “Stay away from this. Don’t go near it.” They were so closeminded, I was really surprised.

Rönkkö: The art world is closeminded.

LaBeouf: The world world is closeminded.

Rönkkö: Yes!

Turner: But that seemed like an elitist thing as well. Like, he’s not an artist. Yeah you have this gallerist who gives off this air of the edgy, open-minded gallerist, but at the same time—

Rönkkö: They’re scared.

LaBeouf: The movie world is just as elitist. I get emails from people in the movie world, people telling me, “You gotta maintain mystery.”…but truth will always find its way out there. Sincerity is the new punk rock.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom