• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Jaagen

Got the game yesterday. Awesoem, and it's more challengeing than I had expected(like someone said a couple of pages back...Fuck you, Shinobu. Fuck you for spammintg the ultimate death move) However, the bossifight are truly epic in their own way(of the three I've played against so far,
Dr. Peace
is the coolest one. Just gotta love the gunplay animations.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is it just me, or is the MK3 not as good as the MK2?

Do the swords you choose actually matter, or is it just a fighting style preferance

i know you can upgrade 3 so it doesnt lose battery but since i dont like it why bother. with 3 he is too flashy and wastes time swinging it around rather then hitting the enemy. it can be bothersome on some boss fights because they will block your third attack since he turns around and swings it around before he slashes.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Nobodyspatzy said:
I am on my third playtrhough on bitter...sadly I am stuck on the boss 3
were you have to fight all the guys on the bus
Help?
use the charge combo when you have the chance and then combo the crap out of them.

Christine

goldenticket said:
i know you can upgrade 3 so it doesnt lose battery but since i dont like it why bother. with 3 he is too flashy and wastes time swinging it around rather then hitting the enemy. it can be bothersome on some boss fights because they will block your third attack since he turns around and swings it around before he slashes.

You get considerably more uber with the fully upgraded III. When you don't have to recharge you can use the unblockable charge attacks at will to create openings and then follow through with stuff like the jumping slash. I've managed to drop
Jeane
to 1/2 health in the first 25 seconds of the fight with the charge attacks.

I just beat Shinobu. After all the complaints about her I was expecting some hellish fight, but it took me less time than
Rank 9/Dr. Peace
. Kind of disappointing.

John Harker

Is the MK3 the last weapon?
You need to just buy those three to get the real ending? (Do you need to upgrade it fully or anything?)

Just got to rank 2 :D

yeah its the last weapon. i think you have to buy MK3 for the real ending but you dont have to buy the enhancements for it to get the real ending.

Vomiaouaf

Just beat the game. Awesome 8 hours. So much memorable moments. Didn't get the real ending though :-( And I'm not sure I want to start from scratch again...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Vomiaouaf said:
Just beat the game. Awesome 8 hours. So much memorable moments. Didn't get the real ending though :-( And I'm not sure I want to start from scratch again...
you wouldn't, you get all the stuff you had on the first play through. however, i would suggest actually going out and collecting shit. really extends the play time if you have the patience for looking for every T-shirt and Lovikov ball in the game. getting the cash for the final weapon isn't too bad either.

Akai

Vomiaouaf said:
The game is pretty quick the second time through...The last fight is totally worth it...

Nemesis_

Just finished Bad Girl. I'm a big fan of her character and the music that plays in her battle. Very nice battle too.....nothing too hard but nothing too easy either.,

Nicktals

Banned
goldenticket said:
yeah its the last weapon. i think you have to buy MK3 for the real ending but you dont have to buy the enhancements for it to get the real ending.

You need all weapons. I skipped getting the first weapon upgrade on my first 2 playthroughs (figuring I had to beat it on bitter to unlock the real ending), then after beating it on bitter and not getting the ending, I bought the Tsubaki I, and unlocked the real ending. You don't need the upgrades at all, just the weapons.

EDIT: Why can't I get enough of this game? I'm on my 5th playthrough, and I plan on going for a 6th immediately after, just to see how quickly I can go from beginning to end when not worrying about cash. Then a 7th to 100% it. I think it's just because the combat is so damn satisfying.

ezekial45

Banned
Flynn said:
What's the reference? I don't know
Rocky III
very well.

Just the ending. When Rocky and Apollo are about to spare each other at the end, it cuts to an artwork of them striking blows.

Nicktals said:
You need all weapons. I skipped getting the first weapon upgrade on my first 2 playthroughs You don't need the upgrades at all, just the weapons.

yeah when i said he needed mk3 i was taking it for granted he had all the previous weapons

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Why can't I get enough of this game?

yeah i know what you mean. i should be attacking my backlog but instead im attacking the assassins of santa destroy

Nicktals

Banned
I can't believe people prefer the 2 to the 3. It's finishing-combo sucks compared to the 3. It knocks enemies too far back, it's way too slow. I went from 110 kills on assassin job 18 to something like 75. Maybe the difficulty mode makes a difference (these are based on sweet).

Alts

My problem with MkII is how much it knocks the enemy back.

Any unnecessary flair from the kills with MkIII is offset by the ridiculous range it has for those finishing moves.

Vinnk

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Why can't I get enough of this game? I'm on my 5th playthrough, and I plan on going for a 6th immediately after, just to see how quickly I can go from beginning to end when not worrying about cash. Then a 7th to 100% it. I think it's just because the combat is so damn satisfying.

I know what you mean. I am on my third playthrough right now. 4 days ago I got SSBB, and it is a fantastic game, but I am still playing NMH more than it.

Nicktals

Banned
Vinnk said:
I know what you mean. I am on my third playthrough right now. 4 days ago I got SSBB, and it is a fantastic game, but I am still playing NMH more than it.

It's quite strange indeed. I've found myself skipping through most skippable portions, despite those sections being the highlight of the first 2 playthroughs. I really think for me it's all combat. If I had to recollect anything, or do the jobs between every assassination i probably wouldn't do it. But after the first playthrough it's pure combat bliss. And takes about 5 hours (i believe).

Alts said:
My problem with MkII is how much it knocks the enemy back.

Any unnecessary flair from the kills with MkIII is offset by the ridiculous range it has for those finishing moves.

goldenticket said:

XHitoshuraX said:
MK3 is just slower or what have you.

The MK III is MUCH MUCH better. People who say it takes too long to attack don't realize that you can't get hit after you input the swing for your finish. (plus it really doesn't take much longer. (the swing left does take a bit longer, but the other directions don't take any longer compared to the II.

Koomaster

goldenticket said:
at one of the last boss fight cant remember which one i had them dizzy and went in for the wrestling move. and it gave me <- -> arrows and i was so into it i yanked the nunchuk out of the wiimote

and yeah shinobu was really hard for me too. they arent all that hard
Ha! I remember someone saying this so I thought - oh that won't happen to me, I'll know. Sure enough the first time I learned the move and then tried to pull it off - I almost snapped the cord. Whoops!

W00t, I finally beat the game tonight
and got the true ending battling sir henry. My brain will have to process the ramifications of everything I saw. From the phone call to Sylvia's mom to the end of the credits, the game's plot just mindfucks you!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nicktals said:
Vinnk said:
Count me in too. I finished my playthrough on Bitter with all cards and now I'm buying all clothing, getting all shirts and putting gold medals on everything, including the Free Missions (only one last Free Mission to go) and I can't get enough of it. This game is just too satisfying and entertainig.

EDarkness

I just got the game today, and have put in almost 6 hours so far. Man, what a satisfying experience. The combat is awesome. Just no other way to describe it.

I just finished off Shinobu and at the end of the fight I just had this huge grin on my face. Granted, it took me 4 or 5 tried to take her down (playing on "mild" right now), but it was worth it. The ending cut-scene gave me a whole new respect for Travis.

Instead of killing her, he simply let her live. Made me take a second look at him as a character, and you get the feeling things go deeper than we're lead to believe. Especially since Shinobu was accusing Travis of killing her father.

What also gets me thinking is...
perhaps there's something going on with Sylvia. I still think she's a b*tch, but something about it seems too cut and dry. I'm thinking there's some revelation towards the end.

Overall, damn good game so far. No More Heroes comes highly recommended.

John Harker

I didn't see the ending yet, so don't spoil it for me, but I beat rank 1, and I have to say
what's up with them skipping the Jeane/Travis scene? Do they address that? It went way too fast for me to actually realize what was going on in that scene. Plus it was really late and I had a headache, so that whole scene kinda got past me without me much figuring out what was going on. I didn't see the ending yet cause I went straight for "Real Ending" and Henry kicked my ass so I just stopped playing for now, will try again after work

Xisiqomelir

John Harker said:
I didn't see the ending yet, so don't spoil it for me, but I beat rank 1, and I have to say
what's up with them skipping the Jeane/Travis scene? Do they address that? It went way too fast for me to actually realize what was going on in that scene. Plus it was really late and I had a headache, so that whole scene kinda got past me without me much figuring out what was going on. I didn't see the ending yet cause I went straight for "Real Ending" and Henry kicked my ass so I just stopped playing for now, will try again after work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22Nkt_fDBc

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I beat the game twice this weekend and I plan to play through a couple more times just because its so much fun. If someone doesnt take this combat system and reuse it and expand on it I will be severely pissed off.

I absolutely love the final parts of the game and
how Suda rather purposefully destroys any semblance of a credibility there was and just throws out every cliche and pop culture reference he can and further discredits it by fast forwarding through Jean's back story, all the while completely acknowledging its just a game so who really cares.

I didnt think things could get any more cliche until Henry dropped his bombs, ending with the most disappointing finish to a killer fight, but it still somehow felt completely fitting for the game.

Christine

The game's approach to narrative is interesting. Most games model themselves after prose fiction and attempt to tell a story through a logical narrative of events.

This is problematic because the internal logic of game design completely alters the dramatic emphasis of any given scenario, as compared to the linear narratives they emulate.

No More Heroes doesn't solve this problem. What it does is toss the logic of the narrative out the window - It doesn't need it, and it can hit its dramatic beats as a game better without being constrained by rationality.

But No More Heroes doesn't abandon narrative - not at all. There's a very strong symbolic narrative present, and it's executed well.

It's the classic and enduring theme of the male ascent to sexual maturity, as presented by a videogame that positively embraces its identity as a device to enable immature masculine empowerment/revenge fantasies. The ironic dichotomy between the openly misogynistic play and the plot that it progresses is delicious - beating up representations of women furthers the plot and the protagonist's character development of the adult capacity for normalized sexual and social relationships.

It's best if I don't try to describe the symbolic meanings I see in too much detail - much of the strength of a symbolic narrative is in its conduciveness to personal interpretations and meaning - but look to the progression through the feminine triad
Shinobu, Holly Summers and Speed Buster
that results in Travis developing the capacity to "kill" (read: fuck) a woman. Immediately afterward, he engages in this activity with a partner
who's obviously a Bad Girl, right?

This at the very least makes Shinobu's taunt of "What's that in your hand, a toy?" the most incredibly awesome double entendre - she's referring to Travis' katana, the Wii remote you're holding, and suggesting that you and Travis are both sitting around holding your dicks impotently. Coming from a "virgin" female this is incredibly provocative and insulting. Such a great fucking game.

dock

I would kill for an artbook of this game. Is there anything lined up, or at least high resolution sources of all the character artwork?

TwinIonEngines said:
The game's approach to narrative is interesting. Most games model themselves after prose fiction and attempt to tell a story through a logical narrative of events.

This is problematic because the internal logic of game design completely alters the dramatic emphasis of any given scenario, as compared to the linear narratives they emulate.

No More Heroes doesn't solve this problem. What it does is toss the logic of the narrative out the window - It doesn't need it, and it can hit its dramatic beats as a game better without being constrained by rationality.

But No More Heroes doesn't abandon narrative - not at all. There's a very strong symbolic narrative present, and it's executed well.

It's the classic and enduring theme of the male ascent to sexual maturity, as presented by a videogame that positively embraces its identity as a device to enable immature masculine empowerment/revenge fantasies. The ironic dichotomy between the openly misogynistic play and the plot that it progresses is delicious - beating up representations of women furthers the plot and the protagonist's character development of the adult capacity for normalized sexual and social relationships.

It's best if I don't try to describe the symbolic meanings I see in too much detail - much of the strength of a symbolic narrative is in its conduciveness to personal interpretations and meaning - but look to the progression through the feminine triad
that results in Travis developing the capacity to "kill" (read: fuck) a woman. Immediately afterward, he engages in this activity with a partner

This at the very least makes Shinobu's taunt of "What's that in your hand, a toy?" the most incredibly awesome double entendre - she's referring to Travis' katana, the Wii remote you're holding, and suggesting that you and Travis are both sitting around holding your dicks impotently. Coming from a "virgin" female this is incredibly provocative and insulting. Such a great fucking game.

I put it more succinctly in post 1030 as...

Count Dookkake said:
Do you realize that swords are painfully obvious phallic symbols and that this game is a comedy that addresses the linking of sex and death as well as the corruption of traditional masculinity by passive consumer/TV-watcher lifestyles?

All I got in response was "Wow."

Because video games are not supposed to interrupt the cool with the smart, I guess.

Count Dookkake said:

Because video games are not supposed to interrupt the cool with the smart, I guess.

No More Heroes goes even further to explicitly label the beam katana as a phallic symbol with its hilarious charge animation.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
John Harker said:
jeane explains why she did that, didnt want the game to get delayed because it was gonna be too hardcore. she breaks the fourth wall, makes fun of DNF and Manhunt 2 all in scene

Suda>you.

John Harker

Error said:
jeane explains why she did that, didnt want the game to get delayed because it was gonna be too hardcore. she breaks the fourth wall, makes fun of DNF and Manhunt 2 all in scene

Suda>you.

Oh yah, I thought the whole scene was great. Especially referring to the entire situation as
No More Heroes Forever. And not wanting to give the game a worse rating :lol
. I was just upset I didn't get the plot.

But someone posted the link that shows it and it was awesome, so even better.

Christine

Count Dookkake said:

I had seen that post, and I thought about quoting it but couldn't find it today.

As far I'm concerned NMH is cool because it's smart. Especially the
#5 ranked battle. Arousal, denial and frustration for both the protagonist and the player
- the sexual imagery informs the design of the game's play narrative as well as its cinematic narrative.

Got to number #1 and I'm taking on
Henry in the real ending. That bathroom scene with #2 (I assume that bitch conned another guy) is just great :lol!!!

EDIT: Finished it! You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!! o_O!!!!

TwinIonEngines said:

When you put it like that, the game makes a whole lot more sense.

Top Bottom