• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony make a new UI for the PS5 or stay with the PS4 version?

Mikey Jr.

So we've has 2 completely different UI's for Playstation (not counting 1 or 2)

PS3 had the XMB (XrossMediaBar )

SYQQEv4.jpg

While the PS4 has the PS4 UI?

So my question to you is, should Sony make a whole new UI for the PS5?

I'm on 2 sides of this.

One the one hand, I feel like a new console generation should have a new UI. Makes it feel special, like it really is the next generation, and Sony can take what worked for the PS4 and what they learned, and make an even better one.

On the other hand, the UI is pretty damn good for what it is. It's been the same for 4 years, and probably for good reason. They've added a bunch to it, tweaked it, and generally, I think lots of people are happy with it. Of course anything can be improved.

So what would you guys like?

A brand spanking new UI with features probably removed and slowly added back in, plus what would you like to see changed?

or

The same PS4 UI we have now, but just keep iterating on it for the next generation?

Here is a fan made playstation ui. I'll try and find more.

https://youtu.be/m_9QLRwO_0s

https://www.behance.net/gallery/33985942/Playstation

WillyFive

Always improve, no reason to stay with the old (unless you are Microsoft, in which case please stop making everything worse).

Kyoufu

I have no problem with the current UI. Everything is right there as I need it so I don't see the point in changing it. They probably will change the UI to give it a unique look but I'd rather they didn't.

Bowl0l

Sony will definitely redesign the UI.
If not, how would they clutter PSN with a bunch of themes for their weekly release?

They should go back to the cross media bar. So simple and didn't have ads. I'm already on your system, you don't need to slap an ad for something on the store in my face

jayu26

UI can always be improved. The one they have now is functional enough for what it needs to do but we don't know what will become important feature in the future. A good UI will need to reflect that.

But more importantly, PSN store UI needs a complete makeover before the console UI. That think also needs added funtionalities such as gifting.

Mengetsu

I love the UI for the PS4. I would be sad to see it change but, I know it will. I would just say improve on what it is now.

-Horizon-

I dislike the ps4 UI. Its why I was disappointed to see the switch follow the whole horizontal tile scheme. Even with folders and reducing how many things are on the home screen, it does not feel good to scroll through.

PS4 UI is the fastest I have ever used besides Switch but there is nothing on the Switch so I don't think it's a fair comparison. It's easy to navigate, no ads, fast as hell, and very user friendly.

Why change? I used the Xbox One's UI a good bit a couple months ago and wanted to repeatedly punch myself in the face. Please Sony....dont go to something like that.

The PS3 UI was much more efficient for navigation. I'd much rather see a return to something like that. But at the very least I want all the constant network loading of assets out of there, it's constantly slowing down the interface as I move through games.

Also, the PS4 store is absolute junk. They need to redo it from the ground up and focus on speed and efficiency.

Tapejara

I'd be fine if they bring the current UI over, but I'd hope they add some more customization options. Folders are a good start, but more can be done. Two things I'd like to see:

- Don't relegate video apps to a pre-made TV folder, they should go in whatever folder the user chooses. If for some reason video apps have to be in a pre-made folder, give me the option to organize video apps so I don't have scroll by a bunch of uninstalled/"promoted" apps to reach Plex or YouTube.
- Ability to pin apps/games to the front of the menu. On Xbox One I keep all of my BC games pinned to the homepage so I can quickly find what I want to play/don't have to dig through menus to remember what I have installed.

Mikey Jr.

I'd be fine if they bring the current UI over, but I'd hope they add some more customization options. Folders are a good start, but more can be done. Two things I'd like to see:

- Don't relegate video apps to a pre-made TV folder, they should go in whatever folder the user chooses. If for some reason video apps have to be in a pre-made folder, give me the option to organize video apps so I don't have scroll by a bunch of uninstalled/"promoted" apps to reach Plex or YouTube.
- Ability to pin apps/games to the front of the menu. On Xbox One I keep all of my BC games pinned to the homepage so I can quickly find what I want to play/don't have to dig through menus to remember what I have installed.

Yeah, pinning would be a great idea actually.

Orb

I want them to take some ques from Switch, the ui is so slow and unresponsive and shitty i hate it.

Floody

I'd be fine with the current, but with more customization. Be kinda annoyed if they hit the reset button and take stuff like folders away again.

Orb

This too, jesus christ. The media folder is traaaaaaaash, and ive realized it even more since thats what i mainly use instead of my computer nowadays. Its such a headache

I'm good with some tweeks to improve the current UI but what desperately needs a change is the ps store, specifically the search function which sucks ass.

I want full customization to the point that if I wanted I could put everything in one single folder. Hell let me hide everything and bring up a hidden folder with the ps button. I don't like seeing crap folders everywhere.

GamerJM

Banned
I want it to be redesigned for the sake of being redesigned. If consoles are just going to have the same UI they're going to stop feeling like new consoles to me.

Netflix style interface would be great, imo.

Sort of like the current PS4 interface but with different rows (verticality). One row for apps, one row for settings, party chat, trophies, etc, one for games, another one for video and music services. Maybe add more or make them editable. Allows for a lot quicker access than the current interface, while still having overview and being easy to use with buttons.

Oh sweet Baby f****** Jesus on a pogo stick, Sony needs a new UI in the worst way. Wasn't a fan of either the PS3 or PS4 interface, even though the latter is a big improvement on the former.

I selfishly want Google or Apple to get into the video game console business, if for no other reason I feel their UI would put the Big Three to shame.

El-Suave

I want the return to a glorious start up sound. Now that the epilepsy warning seems mandatory they have plenty of time.

DxD

Banned
What is wrong with the PS4 UI?
If I want to play a game, it is right there.
If I want to invite/chat, it is up there.
If I want to shop, it is to the left.
If I want to watch HBO/Netflix, it is down there.

Everything has its place.
What more do you guys want?
It is so efficient to find stuff on the PS4 UI.

The current UI isn't the worst, but it's not great either. I'd like to see them try something new but if they just made a more refined version of the 4 UI I wouldn't be upset.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Make a new one. Not really a fan of the current...prefer the XMB from the PS3 the best. It was quick and minimalist

kyser73

Oh sweet Baby f****** Jesus on a pogo stick, Sony needs a new UI in the worst way. Wasn't a fan of either the PS3 or PS4 interface, even though the latter is a big improvement on the former.

I selfishly want Google or Apple to get into the video game console business, if for no other reason I feel their UI would put the Big Three to shame.

They'd end up with a similar solution. UI design is limited by input device & display.

I really don't get the hate for the PS4 UI - it's easy, quick & obvious to use, same as the PS3, which it's clearly an iteration of.

Aizo

Banned
I'm sick of the single line style design from them. Give me grids to select my games. I really don't like sliding all the way right for something even with folders. It's a waste of time.

Are there still no options to sort folders? Also, I really don't like that the order of the folders changes whenever you use something within one. I personally think the PS4 UI specifically for selecting games is crap. XMB is hardly better.

Lady Gaia

There should definitely be changes, but Sony seems to believe in successive refinement rather than wholesale reinvention. The one thing that feels like a missed opportunity to me is the use of folders rather than tagging for apps and games. Don't make me decide on a single organizational scheme – let me put one game in my "RPG", "Completed", and "Favorite" categories so I can see it in multiple logical collections.

RedSwirl

Whatever happens it needs to be the same OS under the hood. Just like consoles might be moving towards an upgrade system, console OSs probably need to move to a system where they just get updated instead of starting over from scratch with every new console. I always found it weird how much of the PS3 OS's functionality was lost in the move to PS4.

jjonez18

Aesthetically, yeah. Sticking with the guts of the PS4's simplified UI, but pushing things into overdrive with what a PS5 would probably allow speedier updates with more heft and a smoother overall UI experience.

^ What that guy said. And probably a couple others. And maybe even the op. I don't read so good. Specially when I'm in half ass mode.

Top Bottom