• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony make a new UI for the PS5 or stay with the PS4 version?

VanWinkle

The current OS is super feature-rich, and the UI is relatively intuitive in dealing with all of this functionality. My biggest issues are these:

-It's just not a very beautiful interface. The look could use some improvement.
-The store is horrible. Bad cluttered interface, poor usage of space in game pages, and terrible terrible search typing.
-The TV & Video section is MISERABLE. It shouldn't be that hard to JUST put the stuff we USE there, in order of when it was used, and have one icon at the end with "More Apps". I don't want to see all of these apps that I don't have or want, and sometimes multiple icons of the same app used as advertisements.
-I think it was a mistake to put the Store icon on the Recently Played bar. It was better up in the function bar, as you could go up there regardless of where you were in the Recently Played bar.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it. Certainly better to have a functional simple UI in the beginning of the console's lifecycle and consistently add functionality and features to it than a console that completely refreshes its UI several times over its lifecycle.

The UI is completely fine as it is. It's fast, responsive and it has all you can ask for. Don't make a new UI just for the sake to make something new. Then you end up with the mess that is the Xbox UI.

tr00per

They should go back to the cross media bar. So simple and didn't have ads. I'm already on your system, you don't need to slap an ad for something on the store in my face

This took 8 posts. Jk

I love the xmb but there's almost no chance of that happening. I do agree that a new UI will help make it feel like a new generation but the Ps4 menu is pretty good for the most part. It needs more tweaks (like fixing the notifications, ads, and the library) but I wouldn't mind if they kept it.

Whatever they choose to do, I just hope it's not a step backwards in terms of features. That definitely doesn't feel next gen

I mean, that's not really a UI. That's a list with 2 options.

Well hitting browser takes you to your memory card settings and game or DVD start screen.

System configuration takes you to a new menu with cool effects and options such as screen size and other stuff. Plus the gentle sound of ocean waves and strobe lights makes it even better. Sorry but I'm old and loved the simplicity.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
new gen, new UI. I think it would be better to take advantage of 4K streaming and such

Peace Tea

Ideally, just the PS3 XMB with the added (forced on us really by Sony/3rd parties) network community loading info/links would be fine for me.

The segment that really needs the future investment & redesign is that fukin biblical abomination of a store front.

I dislike the ps4 UI. Its why I was disappointed to see the switch follow the whole horizontal tile scheme. Even with folders and reducing how many things are on the home screen, it does not feel good to scroll through.

3DS and Wii U were way better, if only for the option to have multiple rows. It's not a problem for switch yet because of the small library at the moment, but given every game adds a tile, retail included, I'm going to hate it a year or two down the line.

Aske

[QUOTE="D";246454682]Make a new one. Not really a fan of the current...prefer the XMB from the PS3 the best. It was quick and minimalist[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It looked slick, and worked beautifully. The PS4's is ugly by comparison. As far as I'm concerned, a good UI is almost invisible until a user interacts with it.

Top Bottom