• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the Marvel Cinematic and TV Shows just be considered separate universes?

Ithil

Or you could just consider them one universe but keep in mind the nature of their production and why it's one way in terms of references.

Stop with the "this or that is canon or not canon in my mind" semantics.

At this moment they should go full on and fully separate universes, with new actors for black widow, hawkeye, etc in the tv universe and daredevil, ghost rider, inhumans, etc in the film universe.

They were really never connected tbh. Mentioning the Avengers via stupid names (flag guy) doesn't change that.

There are basically 3 universes. MCU, Netflix, AoS/Inhumans.

The quicker folks accept this the better

Piers

Probably because one brings in more revenue than the other, so TV series cannot tread on the film's toes. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Feige has commented a few times how it will one day happen.

The majority of stuff so far has been Movie content being reflected, reference or relevant in TV.

• Agents of Shield was the reason Fury had a Helicarrier in Avengers 2.
  • The same Biker gang has been present in both AoS and Daredevil
  • Maria Hill and Fury have been in both Movies and AoS
  • AoS spent a long time dealing with the Civil War storyline

It's not like they don't crossover at all it's usually minor. Mostly it's that the internal Disney politics and Movie production ends up with things left at the wayside which is understandable.

I don't see any reason Marvel wouldn't want to do it. I mean the whole MCU goal is to basically appeal to hardcore subgroup of fans with fan service and let them lap up content while producing Solid content for the Popcorn masses.

That subgroup are crying out for more crossovers it's just not as simple (I have no doubts if they actually really wanted to do it they would just do it)

Avengers 4 would likely present the perfect opportunity if the battle comes to earth. Heroes down and out, destruction all over and you can throw the Defenders in a street battle fighting some minions and even Daisy and the AoS crew. 2 short scenes would bring the whole thing full circle

whipihguh

Banned
It was clearly meant to be connected early on, but it didn't take long for the television stuff to start straining to stay relevant with the films. Honestly, as much as people are more focused on Defender cameos in Infinity War, I feel the concept started to feel rather precarious the longer Coulson continued to be running around and the Avengers not noticing or even caring. For as integral a character he was in the Avengers, that he was continually irrelevant gave off an impression that the television stuff was never really gonna mean shit in the context of the MCU.

I think the Marvel Entertainment / Studios split put the final nail in the coffin, especially with the television shows bringing in more fantastical superhero characters and MCU films acting as if they don't exist. Because at this point for the MCU, they honestly don't.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Agent Carter is really the only TV series that had lots of connections to the films, since it served as a prequel so to speak. It's also the only TV series in which Feige was an executive producer.

At this point yes. And whatever excuse they give, like planning and stuff I will consider bullshit, since Star Wars: Rogue One has been able to acknowledge The Clone Wars and Rebels animated show, and can even bring Forest Whitaker to reprise his role in an animated show on a Disney channel.

They're obviously the same universe, because the TV stuff is based entirely on the premise that they take place in the movie universe. Daredevil works because of the destruction in Avengers. Jessica Jones has a whole episode about the fallout in New York. Guys in Luke Cage sell bootleg DVDs of it on street corners.

The movies don't mention the TV shows because none of them matter. No one gives a shit about some gangwar in Hell's Kitchen. Tony Stark isn't impressed by that one dude with bulletproof skin when he hangs around with a literal god.

It's trickle-down continuity, but that doesn't mean it's not continuity. This is nothing new for multimedia franchises, so I'm surprised when people act so confused.

DIdn't Tony kinda address the situation in Homecoming though, something about Avengers being for big problems, and it's not that he's not aware of the little things going on, but there are people on the ground that handle that kinda stuff. and that's where Tony wanted Peter to stay, as just a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.
Much like Luke takes care of his, DD and JJ each their own too.

After Thanos and the gang drop I wonder what the netflix heroes will say to reference that event. "the day the purple dude showed up"

whipihguh

Banned
DIdn't Tony kinda address the situation in Homecoming though, something about Avengers being for big problems, and it's not that he's not aware of the little things going on, but there are people on the ground that handle that kinda stuff. and that's where Tony wanted Peter to stay, as just a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.
Much like Luke takes care of his, DD and JJ each their own too.

I took the implication of it being more to do with the Vulture's posse being glorified gun runners and a problem for the authorities, which is why he calls the feds. Tony doesn't want Peter to go after the Vulture even with him being in his neighborhood. He just kinda wants Peter to deal with the small petty crimes, which is incongruous with the stuff the Defenders have and will deal with.

A large part of his thinking being that the Vulture is a legitimate threat to Peter, and people like Fisk and the Hand would be far more willing to kill Peter and his family than the Vulture ever was.

SuperOrez

I'll still think of them as if they're the same universe. It's more fun that way. Doesn't matter if they cross over or not.

Mrbob

I'm almost done with Daredevil season 2 and is this what R rated Marvel movies would be like? Shocked at how bloody and violent the show is.

After Thanos and the gang drop I wonder what the netflix heroes will say to reference that event. "the day the purple dude showed up"

Is there a plan at all to address Infinity War. Because if the shows do nothing then there is no connection. I would be fine if they had their own handling of events when Thanos shows up. Maybe Defenders season 2 and 3?

Agents of Shield is clearly in the same universe as the movies, but the Netflix shows are pretty separate. Isn't the Avengers Tower not even shown?

Dalek

Sadly at this point they're seperate. From an audience point of view you can tell yourself they're connected but it's clear Marvel studios doesn't care at all what's going on in the TV shows. The fact that they could just have one cutaway shot of The Defenders in Infinity War but chose not to says a lot.

Nightshade Luke Cage S2:
tn-500_wm0978978347665.jpg

Nightshade Black Panther film:
Gabrielle+Dennis+Arrivals+BET+Awards+pxhVrvKb2kNl.jpg

CryptiK

Agents of Shield is clearly in the same universe as the movies, but the Netflix shows are pretty separate. Isn't the Avengers Tower not even shown?
the Netflix shows reference the movies. In Jessica Jones its a plot point.

They are in the same universe. Street level heroes dont need to meet the Avengers. The biggest thing will be how its all handled in Infinity War and AoS is for sure set up for seeing some of that action.

Glass Rebel

Technically, yes. Effectively, no.

Like, it makes no difference. The Netflix shows reference events from the movies but they are so inconsequential that they might as well be set in an alternate universe where similar events took place. And with Deadly Nightshade appearing in both Luke Cage and Black Panther, it'a a wrap. Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are the only two shows that are still consistent with the movies, afaik.

And honestly, it's for the best. Gimme Richard Madden as Matt Murdock in the films, Feige.

No.

The shows continue to refer to the films. That's enough to establish that they are in the same universe. We don't need things constantly crossing over.

SpaceWolf

Banned
wait are we sure Nightshade is in LC & BP??

cmon guys

Yes, the character has been clearly announced to be appearing in both Luke Cage and Black Panther, explicitly named as Tilda Johnson in both announcements, yet still played by two separate actresses.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They always were separate in every way that mattered. The dueling Nightshades are just the nail in the coffin on this.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The shows reference the movies, but not vice versa. They'll always be separate as far as Marvel's concerned, though. Too much dick measuring going on at corporate.

VeeP

Feige has commented a few times how it will one day happen.

The majority of stuff so far has been Movie content being reflected, reference or relevant in TV.

• Agents of Shield was the reason Fury had a Helicarrier in Avengers 2.
  • The same Biker gang has been present in both AoS and Daredevil
  • Maria Hill and Fury have been in both Movies and AoS
  • AoS spent a long time dealing with the Civil War storyline

Maria Hill was playing a different character in the movies. Lady Sit was in Agents so there's that?

But in the end, nothing that happens in the TV universe will have any effect on the MCU like the movies will. The TV shows are just reactive to everything else.

As long as they don't contradict each other I consider them part of the same world. Let's say a new actor is cast as Hawkeye for TV and appears in Agents of Shield, if the new actor plays the same character with the backstory that has already been established in the MCU then it's still the same continuity. The same if a new Daredevil is cast for the MCU but continues the story of TV's DD. If the movies and the TV shows start contradicting each other then they will be separate universes.

normanski

Neo Member

No it's not there outside of a promo poster for Daredevil series 1. considering that Iron Fist is based in Manhattan and Rand's building is next to the Empire State Building, the fact you couldn't see it at all in the boardroom scenes and exposition shots was incredibly annoying to me and was the final nail that this isn't the same universe.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MCU movies are canon to the TV shows.

Tv shows are NOT canon to the MCU movies.

It's not too hard to grasp.

Apparently it is, considering what I bolded is false.

It's the same universe.

No, the movies aren't referencing the TV shows. It sucks. But they are the same universe until otherwise is stated.

ash_ag

- A number of actors appear in both
- Relevant events from movies are often referenced in TV
- There's precedence of movie deus ex machinas making more sense thanks to TV
- Contradictions between TV and movies are no more significant than contradictions between movies
- More importantly: Marvel says they exist in the same universe

What else do you guys expect? You do realize these are all make-believe stories, right?

Considering that a character appearing on one medium presumably affects his prospect in appearing in another medium, I don't get the logic of saying TV and movies exist in different universes. The Daredevil show has awareness of the movies' events, and there's not going to be a Daredevil movie by Marvel Studios, so what exactly makes Daredevil take place in another universe?

GatorBait

MCU movies are canon to the TV shows.

Tv shows are NOT canon to the MCU movies.

It's not too hard to grasp.

Realistically, this is how it works. The TV shows reverse engineer themselves into the universe. But, the movies don't try to treat the shows as canon and the movies ultimately trump any discrepancies.

And I have a feeling canonical discrepancies are only going to get bigger as time goes on.

CloudWolf

Gifted and Legion say they're their own thing so it's even more fucked.

Uh, no? That's way less fucked than the situation with Marvel shows. At least with those shows you know where they stand, they don't have anything to do with each other. With the Marvel films and television shows it's this weird 'will they or won't they' situation.

Ithil

Maria Hill was playing a different character in the movies. Lady Sit was in Agents so there's that?

But in the end, nothing that happens in the TV universe will have any effect on the MCU like the movies will. The TV shows are just reactive to everything else.

Maria Hill is a character played by Cobie Smulders, not a person. She played the same character in the Avengers films and Agents of SHIELD.

I don't know where you got the idea that she was playing two different characters from.

Just do it.

It would give the TV shows more wiggle room to do crazy shit and it wont effect the movies at all since the TV shows never mattered to them anyway.

Right now its a awkward middle ground where the TV shows are trying to stay canon but it just seems pointless when its a 1 way street.

Kyari

The TV shows do a good enough job of trying to work around the movies that I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, I don't know why people are so keen to somehow tear it all down as though people aren't allowed to like things they don't like/find fun.

Pachimari

Jeph Loeb also seemed pretty tired of the whole #ItsAllConnected meme yesterday when the Defenders cast talked about it during an interview lol.

Top Bottom