• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Love this game so much. Perfect for the vita. Difficult without punishing you too much for dying. Really enjoy that aspect (kinda like hotline miami).

On the boss rush part right now. Been a fun journey for sure.

Only different armor i have is the red suit that makes you drop less money when you die. None of the others seemed that appealing. Are any of them worth it?

The black armour that reduces damage recoil is really useful IMO. The game presents multiple opportunities to get knocked into pits my well placed enemies. That armour hells prevent most of them.

Ragnarok

The black armour that reduces damage recoil is really useful IMO. The game presents multiple opportunities to get knocked into pits my well placed enemies. That armour hells prevent most of them.

Yeah that's the one i was considering but it said something like "it's tough to stop" , what does that mean exactly?

TI82

Banned
Well yeah but the blue looks so good. That's why I never changed haha.

But it's so resplendent

468px-Towerking.jpg

danielcw

Is all future DLC free or just plague knight?

The 3 new campaigns and the battle mode will be free, as they are Kickstarter stretch goals.
Anything after that is everyone's guess.

I wouldn't call it DLC though, because the new content will probably come in the form of updates.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah that's the one i was considering but it said something like "it's tough to stop" , what does that mean exactly?

You don't get knocked back after a hit. Think Duck Tales/Mega Man/Capcom NES games, when you take damage you fall backwards (usually into a pit.. right?!). With the armor you don't get knocked back...

Balb

Physical versions of Shovel Knight will be released on Xbox One, PS4, Wii U and 3DS on October 13 (NA) and October 16 (EU). It's going to retail at $19.99 at all major US retailers.

Some bullet points:

The physical version of Shovel Knight contains everything we’ve released so far.

Of course, like the digital version, every boxed version will also receive FREE future updates as they become available:

Oh, and one more thing: every boxed copy of Shovel Knight will include a lavish instruction booklet similar to the Kickstarter reward. No 2-page inserts here!

Also, I guess they're teasing some Nintendo content?

Will Shovel Knight take over the world? What will the new content be like? What is happening with the Nintendo versions? So many questions!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shovel-knight-physical-version-coming-to-a-store-near-you/

Since its release, I've been playing the game with additional challenges in mind ala the "Feats". I beat the game vanilla my first go, but last time around I attempted the NG+, breaking all save points in my way. That was tough as hell, but I got through it. Now I'm going through the game on normal, this time not buying anything or using a single relic.

The replayability in this is great. I love being able to go back to it with new goals in mind and have it feel fresh every time.

danielcw

According to posts from Yacht Club Games on Twitter and the game's Steam Community Hub the development of Plague Of Shadows is finished

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I failed the boss gauntlet on NG+ yesterday. The last boss (Mole Knight) had one life left, panic got to me. Feels bad but feels good because this means it's within my reach.

Fuck Specter Knight though, can't figure him out.

More importantly, today is Plague Of Shadows day! Can't wait to get back home from work to dig into it.

I was just thinking about how this game is one of the only memorable games I've played in the last couple years. It really has that personality that makes you never forget it. I wish more games had that. Either way, I'm just happy they knocked it out of the park with this one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sorry about the random bump, but I just finished my first runthrough of the game after picking it up right before Christmas when Best Buy put the retail version on sale for $19.99.

Great game, if maybe a bit on the short side, though it really shows how rusty I've gotten at the classic third-generation software, even though I grew up playing them.

I just started a Plague Knight playthrough but I'll likely start up a new file in the future to try to reduce my end-game death count and the amount of loot I lose throughout.

B_Bech

They're nerfing propeller knight in plague of shadows, thank jesus

People found him difficult? He went down pretty fast using the floating casing + time bomb + large explosion. I had a much tougher time on him with Shovel Knight due to not having a double jump.

NMFried

So I just got my Shovel Knight amiibo in the mail. I've heard it unlocks a co-op mode? Does this mean I can play the game with my roommate? Or does it just make your amiibo player 2?

TheGrue

I have the amiibo but can't figure out how to scan it...

You need the update and once you load into your profile, it should have a prompt for you. If you have it on 3DS, you have to go to the Shovel Knight store page on eShop and there will be a button at the bottom to update. I went to the normal place to get updates and I had a bunch there, but no Shovel Knight. Saw on Yacht Club Games' Twitter that this is how you do this. Not sure how you do it for WiiU, but maybe go check their Twitter to see if there are instructions there.

Edit - I just checked for you and the WiiU should just prompt when you go to run the game.

Chairhome

You need the update and once you load into your profile, it should have a prompt for you. If you have it on 3DS, you have to go to the Shovel Knight store page on eShop and there will be a button at the bottom to update. I went to the normal place to get updates and I had a bunch there, but no Shovel Knight. Saw on Yacht Club Games' Twitter that this is how you do this. Not sure how you do it for WiiU, but maybe go check their Twitter to see if there are instructions there.

Edit - I just checked for you and the WiiU should just prompt when you go to run the game.
Thanks. I'll check again, mine said v2.00, i think it was missing the amiibo update and it didn't prompt for another update. I'll try again tomorrow

I just beat Shovel Knight on my 3DS for like the 5th time. It's an excellent game! The difficulty curve is really solid. I had a bit of a hard time on
the first form of The Enchantress
this time.

Regiruler

Yacht club was doing some king knight and specter knight testing on friday on their twitch page. You should be able to find it in the archive if anyone is interested.

On mobile so linking is hard.

Yacht club was doing some king knight and specter knight testing on friday on their twitch page. You should be able to find it in the archive if anyone is interested.

Yeah, I just found one of their videos with King Knight on Twitch. He can float which is kind of cool. I couldn't find Specter Knight though.

Unfortunately, I think all of these will feel like bonus characters really. They are just neat little extras, but Shovel Knight is still the meat of the game which the game is balanced around. Any character without the Shovel Knight bounce which I found key to going through the levels will be lacking something.

I found Plague Knight kind of hard to control, but I did play through the whole game as Plague. It never really clicked with me in the same way Shovel Knight did. So I'm really looking forward to Shovel Knight 2 (in the future) more than anything else.

jett

D-Member

They're really taking their sweet time with the bonus content. I wonder if it's actually profitable for them to make this, since it's all free for everyone, backers and non-backers.

Top Bottom