• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Capra

I thought Plague of Shadows was fantastic and, after the initial hurdle of understanding his controls, ended up liking Plague Knight more than Shovel from both a mechanical and character perspective. So yeah, the prospect of there being at least two more campaigns of similar caliber in the future gets me pretty excited.

I thought Plague of Shadows was fantastic and, after the initial hurdle of understanding his controls, ended up liking Plague Knight more than Shovel from both a mechanical and character perspective. So yeah, the prospect of there being at least two more campaigns of similar caliber in the future gets me pretty excited.

Really!? I guess I will have to replay it and see how I like it on a second playthrough.

Wholeheartedly agree. Once Plague Knight clicks, he's so damn fun to play. It definitely helps to use the floating charge explosion as training wheels.

@MUWANdo

Banned
They're really taking their sweet time with the bonus content. I wonder if it's actually profitable for them to make this, since it's all free for everyone, backers and non-backers.

They balance the expense of giving away content for free by almost never discounting their game and it's doing well for them so far.

They said their focus for 2016 is finishing and releasing all of the bonus content, so no 1+ year wait for each new update.

Snowballo

Downloaded this for PS4, played it for 4 hours and it doesn't really live up to the hype I've seen. Just another 2D side-scroller to me.

Same here.

I'm old but I don't remember the Duck Tales era and I don't get most of hype.
Moreover, I don't find this game to be particularly difficult (I think Im' a >50% of the game).
I like its style but don't like so much the simple gameplay.

I simply cannot feel what many people here feel. Dunno why. :(

Bit of an odd question but I am still trying to grasp this game. I get it's similar to old school games like megamn, but I didnt really grow up in that era.

On one hand, I never finished a game like Guacamelee as I just grew bored of it. But I loved Fez. Most indie games, I tend to not care much for, and the PS4 has a whole lot that are well praised.

I guess I keep wondering about Shovel Knight because I loved Wario Land... is this game anything like it? Not sure I have much experience with 2D games outside of loving Wario Land.

Bit of an odd question but I am still trying to grasp this game. I get it's similar to old school games like megamn, but I didnt really grow up in that era.

On one hand, I never finished a game like Guacamelee as I just grew bored of it. But I loved Fez. Most indie games, I tend to not care much for, and the PS4 has a whole lot that are well praised.

I guess I keep wondering about Shovel Knight because I loved Wario Land... is this game anything like it? Not sure I have much experience with 2D games outside of loving Wario Land.

Which Wario Land game are you talking about? I've only played the first one on Game Boy.

Shovel Knight has a good difficulty curve and it doesn't get boring really. It's kind of similar to Mega Man but you use a shovel instead of a gun (big difference). Shovel Knight does have some projectiles, but they use up magic.

It's also helpful to know you can get potions that restore your health; I didn't get any on my first time playing it.

Which Wario Land game are you talking about? I've only played the first one on Game Boy.

Shovel Knight has a good difficulty curve and it doesn't get boring really. It's kind of similar to Mega Man but you use a shovel instead of a gun (big difference). Shovel Knight does have some projectiles, but they use up magic.

It's also helpful to know you can get potions that restore your health; I didn't get any on my first time playing it.

Wario Land 2, 3, and 4 are what I playd and enjoyed

Regiruler

Shovel Knight is a new game with a retro attitude. It even got a retail release, it's that good.
That information isn't at all what he's asking for.

Shovel Knight does share some minor elements from WL2, mostly the design of some of the secrets: there are some spots that don't have any visivle indicators that give treasure if you hit them--easy to reach and the wall is large enough to house it. Outside of that it draws inspiration from much different games.

FWIW Wario Land 2 is in my top 10 games of all time.

23qwerty

Which version of Shovel Knight should I get? I own all the consoles and built a high end pc (prefer consoles though).

If you ever want to play co-op with it then Wii U, otherwise Xbox One version has the most extra content I believe with the Battletoads content being more extensive than the lone Kratos boss bottle PS4 gets. Of course you also have to get the Shovel Knight amiibo to use co-op I think?

If you ever want to play co-op with it then Wii U, otherwise Xbox One version has the most extra content I believe with the Battletoads content being more extensive than the lone Kratos boss bottle PS4 gets. Of course you also have to get the Shovel Knight amiibo to use co-op I think?

You do need the Amiibo for co-op and/or for the Custom Knight and its exclusive relics. Say what you will about DLC locked behind a physical object, the Shovel Knight Amiibo DLC goodies are pretty worth it, IMO. Lots of relics for physical mobility, lots of stuff that makes it easier for a player 2 to get by in levels that would generally otherwise feel like they're designed for a 1-player game.

I suppose that if the Wario Land series is most of your existing points of reference for a 2-D platformer, there is the same sense of making progress but taking the occasional detour to unlock hidden things, and the focus on the accumulation of money, which actually buys you a number of character improvements here, but after you're most of the way through the game and there's nothing left to buy, money instantly becomes pretty meaningless beyond just a number that you continue to accumulate. The propeller relic is a bit like Wario's shoulder bash and/or the jet hat from Wario Land 1, but otherwise attacking is kind of like playing a Castlevania protagonist through Mega Man levels.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Which version of Shovel Knight should I get? I own all the consoles and built a high end pc (prefer consoles though).

The consoles & PC will be getting a local versus multiplayer mode in the future, the handhelds won't.

The Sony versions are cross-buy and cross-play across all three platforms (PS4, Vita, PS3) and feature an exclusive God of War-themed boss fight & item.

The XB1 version features an exclusive Battletoads-themed boss fight & item that's much more elaborate than the GOW content.

If you buy the SK Amiibo you can access "Custom Knight' (lots of exclusive items and customisation options) on Wii U & 3DS, as well as a local co-op mode that's exclusive to Wii U.

The 3DS has an exclusive "Streetpass Arena" side-game; it also has stereoscopic 3D (duh!) and if you're someone who's bothered about pixel filters and sub-pixel movement then the 3DS version is optimal as it has none of those issues that are present in the HD versions.

The retail versions don't have any additional content over the digital versions; you do get a digital code for the soundtrack, but that's already pay-what-you-want so you can go grab it for free right now if you really want to. (I don't know if the cross-buy thing applies to the retail PS4 version.)

If you haven't heard the news, the next campaign will be Specter Knight's. King Knight after that.

I just finished my latest playthrough. Probably about 5 times with Shovel Knight and 2 with Plague Knight.

Might try the NG+ mode. I don't really like the idea of less checkpoints as a hard mode. I would rather have had more difficult or new enemy placements.

I bought this on GoG and PSN, but how do I access the other campaigns? Do I have to finish Shovel's first?
There is only one other campaign available at the moment (playing as The Plague Knight) and while beating the 'main' quest will unlock it naturally there also exists a secret series of button inputs to unlock Plague Knight's story from the start menu...

Short question to shovelGAF:

I want to buy shovel knight for my 3DS. Is there a difference between the eShop Version and the cartridge version regarding access to the additional campagns?

Short question to shovelGAF:

I want to buy shovel knight for my 3DS. Is there a difference between the eShop Version and the cartridge version regarding access to the additional campagns?

The cartridge version has been upgraded to "Treasure Trove", which includes all additional campaigns and all future content, for free.

There's no difference between the eShop and cart versions, except at this point the cart will need updates to get the additional content since it's out of date.

Regiruler

Every version of shovel knight at this point that is not the Specter Knight standalone will have all future content (barring battle mode on vita and 3DS).

I suspect Treasure Trove will remove the need to unlock Plague Knight mode but I don't know.

Edit: wait did this launch on Switchmas? I thought it was later in the month

Robin64

I suspect Treasure Trove will remove the need to unlock Plague Knight mode but I don't know.

Edit: wait did this launch on Switchmas? I thought it was later in the month

Playing it on Switch myself, and it's a joy. Specter Knight controls wonderfully, he's so slick and fast.

And yes, Treasure Trove just lets you pick Shovel, Plague, or Specter from the get-go.

Yes, it is out on Switch. Playing it for my first time.

Playing it on Switch myself, and it's a joy. Specter Knight controls wonderfully, he's so slick and fast.

And yes, Treasure Trove just lets you pick Shovel, Plague, or Specter from the get-go.

Thanks, guess it's been buried in Zelda talk a little!

You never had to properly unlock Plague, there was a cheat code to bypass it.

Well yeah, but it was still hidden.

Perineum

Ive been having a good time with it on my Switch for the first time ever, but it isn't hooking me like others claim it has for them in the past.

Might be all the other games out right now stealing my attention: Horizon, Zelda, For Honor, and still Rainbow Six.

Also, does anyone know if you can do 1 player mode on this with only a joycon, and not both joycons? Seems if you try to use one instead of both it auto asks to do co op.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I finally pulled my Wii U out of storage last night and set it up for the first time in our new place. I originally purchased Shovel Knight on the 3DS way back when but I recently bought the Wii U version when Wal-Mart had them on clearance.

For shits and giggles I decided to try out the NES Controller I purchased back in December (Still haven't picked up the NES Classic...dunno if I will at this point.) and it actually works damn well. No shoulder buttons to switch out relics but otherwise it makes perfect sense.

At what I think is the last level now and I don't really like the game. I know it's meant to be an old style game but it's like they've done their best to make it fucking annoying. So many sections where if you get hit by an enemy you'll fall into a pit and die, or sections where you have to wait slowly for platforms to move themselves or whatever.

Sorry, Shovel Knight but you're just not a very good game.

At what I think is the last level now and I don't really like the game. I know it's meant to be an old style game but it's like they've done their best to make it fucking annoying. So many sections where if you get hit by an enemy you'll fall into a pit and die, or sections where you have to wait slowly for platforms to move themselves or whatever.

It's just not for you. Compared to the games it's inspired by, Shovel Knight is actually quite easy and far more forgiving.

jonno394

Finished the Shovel of Hope campaign over the weekend, such a great ending. Really enjoyed the game, even though it was a bit short and easier than games it mimics.

dove straight in to the Spectre Knight campaign, taking a little while to get used to the new mechanics, but love the hub (even if it is a bit small!)

Excited to see what YCG do next.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

It's just not for you. Compared to the games it's inspired by, Shovel Knight is actually quite easy and far more forgiving.

Agreed. This game isn't for you, that's okay. If you didn't grow up playing NES platformers are understand that it's OK to die and get game overs to learn the levels... then yeah, this isn't going to be your style.

I just finished the Plague Knight campaign now. At first I was thrown off by the weird controls and abilities. Then an hour later, I was smiling and thinking "Holy shit! Look at all the crazy moves I'm pulling off!"
As a bonus mode, this is incredible!
I can't wait to play the Specter Knight and King Knight (when that is released).

I am so obsessed with this game. I'm going to recommend it to everyone on my Steam friends list.

I honestly think it's my favourite video game I've played since Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Top Bottom