• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2007 edition

Phaethon0017 said:
46" Samsung LCD 1080p.

DSC00662.gif

I have the same tv, just upgraded the firmware now have 1: pixel mapping over hdmi ps3 looks alot better.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Jefklak said:
I have no idea why so many people have a BASEMENT full of gaming stuff and a big ass TV with 3948465 consoles, while upstairs they have another plasma with so-called "nextgen" systems. Why on earth would you need two expensive setups like that? I'm assuming you all have a job, so you'll barely have time top lay with either setup...

oh right, "yeah I play in the basement when the wife wants to watch TV"
right, very social beings...

This really has no place in this thread man. Get the negativity out of here.

This thread isn't about e-peening. It's about giving ideas, fishing for suggestions, trading tips, and laughing at some of the hilarious places like to get their game on. Seriously.

Alfarif

Kelegacy said:
Some of you guys have some serious feng shui going on. I'm a bit jealous. I have no decorating gene whatsoever (plus, I'm straight). ;)

JOKE! Seriously, I think I need to hire someone to makeover my pad. Nice setups, guys!

Haha, grab yourself a book if you want some good feng shui technique. It's less about what your furniture looks like (though that can help give the room a "vibe") and more about the properties your furniture represent and its position either according to the room or according to compass directions.

Alfarif

Dimmuxx said:

I just want you to know that those speakers look like you might get some serious thump. They look like what I used to use as PA speakers at band practice.

And your couch is hands down the most comfortable looking in the entire thread. Seriously. Now that's my kind of couch!

Pachinko

My current setup differes very little from previous photos, all my stuff still lies within the ghetto basement(condo with a semi finished basement , so the insulation is held in with mere plastic, no actual drywall). Anyway, here goes-

gamestuf001.jpg

What's currently plugged in- we've got 360, wii and dvd player eating up all 3 component inputs and the PS3 plugged in over HDMI. The tv is a sony VVega 42A10 series that was purchased a year ago. It works well enough for my use.

gamestuf002.jpg

To the left of the main setup is all my crap, the ps2 slim and xbox now unplugged and collecting dust with far too much anime and far too many games filling the racks.

gamestuf005.jpg

And finally, an attempt at taking a picture of a game in progress, I bought zelda just this past week so that's what I snapped a photo off. I might edit this with a photo of crank on bluray later on.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
supermackem said:
I have the same tv, just upgraded the firmware now have 1: pixel mapping over hdmi ps3 looks alot better.
Serious question, how do you upgrade the firmware of such a TV?

Barnolde

Banned
Bow before this killer setup.

khlsy3.jpg

jhfary5.jpg

6~ year old iMac (Apple keyboard + MS mouse)
Crappy old desk
Xbox with 300GB HDD softmod with XBMC as main dash
300GB HDD in external Mac mini-esque enclosure
DVD-RW in a giant external case
8.5" portable DVD player with MC360 on it

I do play/watch stuff (mostly watch stuff) on that screen quite often due to its portability, but my main gaming is done on a 32" downstairs where the 360 is hooked up. I've also got an old 19" SD set (it doesn't even do stereo sound!) that I also use for my Xbox, PStwo and DC. Also hooked up to it are the unused N64 and Genesis.

Blimblim said:
Serious question, how do you upgrade the firmware of such a TV?

Theres a service port on the back 3.5mm jack i think just like headphones etc, then on the other end of the lead is a serail connecter just connect to your pc run the flash program and within minutes you have flashed your tv.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Alfarif said:
I just want you to know that those speakers look like you might get some serious thump. They look like what I used to use as PA speakers at band practice.

And your couch is hands down the most comfortable looking in the entire thread. Seriously. Now that's my kind of couch!

Yeah, if I play too loud most of my apartment starts to shake apart. :lol

Barnolde said:
Bow before this killer setup.

khlsy3.jpg

jhfary5.jpg

6~ year old iMac (Apple keyboard + MS mouse)
Crappy old desk
Xbox with 300GB HDD softmod with XBMC as main dash
300GB HDD in external Mac mini-esque enclosure
DVD-RW in a giant external case
8.5" portable DVD player with MC360 on it

I do play/watch stuff (mostly watch stuff) on that screen quite often due to its portability, but my main gaming is done on a 32" downstairs where the 360 is hooked up. I've also got an old 19" SD set (it doesn't even do stereo sound!) that I also use for my Xbox, PStwo and DC. Also hooked up to it are the unused N64 and Genesis.

But what's with all those wires, man? You gotta run those through the wall, or at least wrap them up. It'll just look like a sloppy setup until you take care of those.

:D

Jefklak said:
I have no idea why so many people have a BASEMENT full of gaming stuff and a big ass TV with 3948465 consoles, while upstairs they have another plasma with so-called "nextgen" systems. Why on earth would you need two expensive setups like that? I'm assuming you all have a job, so you'll barely have time top lay with either setup...

oh right, "yeah I play in the basement when the wife wants to watch TV"
right, very social beings...

What's your problem? When I get my basement finished, all the old school stuff is going down there to keep the family room looking nice (one or two conoles only to keep it under control).

I don't see what's wrong with breaking it up.

CAVE343

:) :)
Eteric Rice said:
Normally, I'd rip on you for not having a Wii. But I see that you're a Superman fan, so I forgive you. :p
Yeah Superman is awesome :) Although I want a Wii, I cant find one over here, its still sold out everywhere (although I had one at launch and sold it, now I want it back :) )

Norse said:
Hey, where did you get the blinds for your windows? I have 2 huge 57" by 67" windows in my living room and want to replaced my mini blind with something like silhouette shades from Hunter Douglas but that will run over 1k..those blinds you have seem a bit more in my price range. Nice clean setup too.
Thanks, I got those blinds at a local curtain store. Together they were 300 euros. They used to be 2 meters wide so I needed to cut some off :) over a 1000 euros for blinds is tad expensive.

Banned
Pachinko said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/pachinko/gamestuf005.jpg
And finally, an attempt at taking a picture of a game in progress, I bought zelda just this past week so that's what I snapped a photo off. I might edit this with a photo of crank on bluray later on.
Tip: Turn your sharpness control way down, until you stop getting those glowing edges around everything. (eg the letter boxing, Link's hair etc)

It will look softer at first, but you will get used to it, and will have a much more natural picture. Turning the sharpness control up will also destroy any fine details in the image, and exaggerate any aliasing / artefacts. (such as MPEG blocking, mosquito noise)

Kosma

Banned
blame space said:
Lovely. That makes me want to sit and play games and have a good time.

Thanks!

bad-joey said:
Are you a history student? :)

Yep :)

Doing research now on what the Dutch knew about what was happening to the Jews during World War 2. Which ment that I spend a lot of time in archives reading some guys unpublished diary/journal.

Klaxon said:
In my room I had pretty much the same distance between my couche and my TV (I had the same TV) and I got headaches from watching stuff on it. Especially games. I got seasick from Crackdown. :(

No problems here. I was thinking of getting a 40" but that would be too big for this distance for sure so I got the 32", plus I could save some money hehe.

oo Kosma oo said:
I'm very happy with my setup. PC and 360 hooked up to my 32" 720p Samsung. Still a student :)
I love that setup and strangely enough, I'm more impressed by the contest of your closet. I'm a Dutch Art History student, so a big part of my study is reading a lot of stuff. Your setup looks incredibly comfortable, too. I totally dig it.

Alfarif

Klaxon said:
In my room I had pretty much the same distance between my couche and my TV (I had the same TV) and I got headaches from watching stuff on it. Especially games. I got seasick from Crackdown. :(

I try to tell people they don't need to sit so close to their TVs... my mother in law sits about 6 feet away from a 50" JVC LCD and it makes me sick after a couple of minutes. It's gotten to the point where I can't even watch TV over there anymore so I opt out when they put in a movie and go off to play NDS instead.

I understand wanting theatre quality but even in a theatre you're sitting hundreds of feet away from the screen (unless you're one of those tards in the front who loves to crane their head all the way back just to look up).

Alfarif

sh4mike said:
First four shots are the next-gen room (currently 360+Wii). Last shot is my last-gen basement (PS2+GC+Xbox).

Next-gen room:
Vizio 42" plasma
Denon AVR-2807
SVS 5.1 speakers
Berkline 090

Last-gen room:
Toshiba 57" CRT
Yamaha receiver
Yamaha 5.1 speakers

90606819xo3.jpg

35831438if2.jpg

20626917xr8.jpg

89763089ya6.jpg

82649681dy6.jpg

I have to ask... where did you pick up that area rug? I've been looking for an area rug with Hanzi (Kanji) on it for ages with the colors that I want. Our living room color scheme is dark browns, blacks, tans, and greens with a lot of rice paper and bamboo. An area rug like that (with some different colors for the characters and their corresponding backgrounds) would go really well in our living room.

Kosma

Banned
Silicon Knight said:
I'm a Dutch Art History student, so a big part of my study is reading a lot of stuff.

Hehe cool. In which town do you study? Maybe we're at the same faculty :) I'm in Leiden.

MaX_PL

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Wall mounted it yesterday, so the consoles are still in a bit of dis-array.

snb13795qm5.jpg

40" at 3 feet? :lol Your going to be blind in ~1 year give or take a month.

edit: 46"? Make that 8 months give or take a few weeks.

I'd say the black is worth that extra 3-500$. Definitely much nicer than the grey. Hell, if you're already dishing out for the XBR might as well.

adg1034

...I smell a For Sale thread coming on!

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for an inexpensive HDTV for my dorm room. I'll be in a suite with 3 other guys, and we'll have a decent-sized common area. I'm thinking under $1000, but I don't know where to start. GAF, your recommendations, let you give me them.

i also have 3 game gears.

the gameboy collection is nuts, but the GC one might be the most impressive. thats some rare crap right there.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
adg1034 said:
But for that price, why not just go for the 37" or 42" Westy (also 1080p)?

I would personally never go for a second or third tier brand. Plus that site has tvs for much less than retail. It's already considered a steal for that price.

ant1532

Banned
Kadey said:
Yes. That's me. I'm finally here.
:lol

I can't believe those are the same pics I remembered

Anyways, I remember when I saw all those pics I was wonderin why you have em all.. Just some mad collectin? Or you have some giant family?

And if you're selling anything, please tell me lol.

sh4mike

megashock5 said:
What's your problem? When I get my basement finished, all the old school stuff is going down there to keep the family room looking nice (one or two conoles only to keep it under control).
Bingo. Clean family room = happy wife = happy life. All my old consoles (complete with corded controllers) got the boot downstairs to avoid cluttering up "our" space.

I take good care of my socks.

Top Bottom