• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2017 Edition

MrFlooD

I live and die by the Ikea "Gnedby" tower shelves, it builds your gameroom upwards vs taking up much floor space across. Its safe to say you can fit about 10 (PS4/Xbox One standard cases) per shelf, with about 8 shelves per stand, thats 80 games stored upwards and not across, not taking up much real estate in your gameroom. They are $50 per black/ tan shelf and $30 per white shelf, in Canada atleast. I own about 12 of these dedicated for housing games right now but probably 15-16 in total for Blu-Rays and TV series as well. They move well and hold up over time I started using these about 7 years ago and acquired more as I needed them.

Seconded, Love these units. Has a ittle notch for the baseboard, lets it sit 100% flush with the wall.

NEO0MJ

This thread is a good showcase of the haves in this forum >.> ...

Anyways, some nice setups here. I'll borrow a few ideas.

Every time I visit this thread I'm reminded that I need to step up my gaming setup. Jealous of a lot of the setups some of you guys have! Mine is basic as hell.

leng jai

Finally found a better spot to plonk the Xbone.

rBWCDy0.jpg

When you buy a TV mount and then find out your studs are 24" apart and the mount doesn't span that width. Great.

I dont know if this will help you but when that happend to me I ran a runner across the two studs. In my case 1"X4"X24" then mounted the mount to the wood. Solid as a rock. And hidden behind your tv.

Vipu

Banned
That's what I did. I would prefer a single monitor arm that could hold both of my monitors, but that would be rather expensive I think.

Yeah but then again 2 separate arms are not that bad since they take almost no space at all and they give a lot more freedom.

chaosaeon

Looking for any opinions.
Between a black or a white Ps4Pro, which would you use in this setup ? Don't have a white one yet but might soon so I'm just eyeballing it. This is my current setup in a room with really limited space.
The black Pro looks invisible 90% of the time except the lightstrip in this setup. The white one would be more a contrast to other things in the room. Which would look better though ?

leng jai

Regardless of setup I've go White for sure, it just looks far better. The plastic they use for the PS4s look terrible in black.

chaosaeon

It would be easier to give an opinion if you posted unfiltered images tbh.

Me ? I wish it was filters. I took this with my camera, which is not the best but I don't think it even has filters. The room is a dark grey color and the TV stand is black. The dresser is like a dark grey wood, but the colors are mostly correct. It's not a very bright room either so the exposure or contrast are off I guess. But the majority of the room is a black, grey and white scheme with small amounts of color like the plants.

NEO0MJ

Man, is it that hard to avoid going to Ikea in the end? Most of the other places I checked were a mix of ugly/large/expensive. Would something like #4 here feel too restrictive?

office-desks-e1371222399456.jpg

shanafan

Man, is it that hard to avoid going to Ikea in the end? Most of the other places I checked were a mix of ugly/large/expensive. Would something like #4 here feel too restrictive?

I think #4 looks the most restrictive.

#2 or #3 look like the best, just depends how important all those drawers are to you.

NEO0MJ

I think #4 looks the most restrictive.

#2 or #3 look like the best, just depends how important all those drawers are to you.

These aren't the desks I was planning to buy but more about ideas. But yeah I think I won't go with a desk with built-in shelves.

Looks like I'm going to Ikea and picking up a BEKANT, maybe an ALEX if I decide to penny pinch.

Well I'm not a fan of Ikea but I got 120x80cm desk from them with actual height regulation for slightly more than 100 Euro and they normally cost lot more in shops from office equipment.

Also I'd stay away from all 4 of the above - best desks for pc are flat tables without any fancy crap or weird shapes.

NEO0MJ

Well I'm not a fan of Ikea but I got 120x80cm desk from them with actual height regulation for slightly more than 100 Euro and they normally cost lot more in shops from office equipment.

Also I'd stay away from all 4 of the above - best desks for pc are flat tables without any fancy crap or weird shapes.

Like I mentioned before I was mostly just looking for opinions on what seem to be the main shelf designs. I wasn't actually planning on buying any of the actual models in the pictures.
Unfortunately locally that table would cost me twice what it cost you, plus it wouldn't fit perfectly in my room. I was interested in the 140x60cm version, though.

In the end I found a neat looking table at another store for a good price that's 150x60cm. My phone is going bad now so I couldn't take a photo at the store but here it is on the front of the box.

THe main distinguishing feature is that the top of the desk is mostly tampered glass. I bought a mat to put my keyboard on so it doesn't scratch.

hobozero

Seconded. Drawers always fill up with crap. Having less storage means you have to be selective with peripherals, etc, and generally keep things cleaner.

I have seen some amazing stuff built from IKEA options, too - get one of their butcher block countertops, add in whatever legs you like from the tables section, and attach a cable tray in the back. Bam, instant classic.

NEO0MJ

Seconded. Drawers always fill up with crap. Having less storage means you have to be selective with peripherals, etc, and generally keep things cleaner.

But I love my storage space!
Anyways, since the one I bought doesn't come with any shelves/drawers at all I plan on buying a single Alex to help put in some of my old nick knacks.

In the end I found a neat looking table at another store for a good price that's 150x60cm. My phone is going bad now so I couldn't take a photo at the store but here it is on the front of the box.

THe main distinguishing feature is that the top of the desk is mostly tampered glass. I bought a mat to put my keyboard on so it doesn't scratch.

Looks great :)

I have seen some amazing stuff built from IKEA options, too - get one of their butcher block countertops, add in whatever legs you like from the tables section, and attach a cable tray in the back. Bam, instant classic.

My problem with drawers is that they restrict space for legs. When I had a desk with dedicated keyboard drawer I had to throw it away since keyboard was too low and my legs were hitting it constantly.

And yeah I unfortunately found that section after I bought my Gallant desk as they had nice bamboo countertop.

Now I'll have to make a small engineering project and design something from Besta for my consoles and tv
besta-szafka-pod-tv-brazowy__0413183_PE571688_S4.JPG

since I have to maximize usage of space vertically as I only got 30m^2

Jimrpg

I added some bits to my gaming setup and finally tidied it a bit to take some photos of it.

First a bit of background. I live about 80km from where I work, so we have a house that I stay at every second night so I only make the drive once a day. I've put my gaming setup there as its free of distractions, no kids etc. I can usually get 2hrs of gaming in every second night. Sad I know, but thats my life (for now). I also work overseas, so right now, its not really my home anyway, so I didn't want to spend too much on furniture.

Anyways initially I bought my PC ready for VR, but with the 'excessively high launch price' of the Vive and the Rift, I put that purchase on hold. Still is at the present time, considering my ridiculous backlog. The room here is easily 4m x 4m which would be great for roomscale.

On the right hand side I have my PC (now 2 years old) with these specs

i5-4690k
16gb Ram
256gb SSD
GTX 1070 (I had a 970)
1TB & 3TB hard drive
Corsair 350D Window Case
Elgato HD - I'm planning on doing some streams as soon as I finish some other projects in my life
Acer XB270HU - the 27" 1440p, 144hz IPS G-Sync one

On the left I have

an OG PS4
a PS Vita TV
a Logitech G27 for Dirt Rally, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa etc.
a 40" 1080p Hisense TV.

The tables, chairs and TV were from work.

Some mistakes I made

I spent way too much on the monitor (about $800) - at first I thought I would be able to future proof my system a bit with a 1440p monitor, but honestly that just drives the cost up of everything else. 1080p is more than sufficient for me. Games look just fine on the PS4 at 1080p. That said 1440p is great and anything above 60 is silky. Playing Dirt Rally at 1440p 100fps is incredible. But if I just got a 1080p 144hz G-sync, I would have saved $400 there and probably wouldn't have bought the GTX 1070 easily saving me $800 total.

The microphone and phantom power there SUCKS. Even the cheap boom arm sucks. The volume is only reasonable when the gain is turned right up in the settings. I don't know if its because its a cheap brand, I think its the Neewer BM800 or something like that. They were about $20 each. I know people are going to say of course you get what you pay for, but the youtube reviews were genuinely good when tested so yeah pretty disappointed. I'll just get a decent mic and probably the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something like that for a preamp, cause its just pissing me off. I need to save up so, its something to do for next year.

The Corsair 350D case is a also a bit of a mistake. It only has 2 slots for a 3.5" hard disk, and it would have been nice to have more slots. My next move is really to swap out the 1TB for a bigger hard drive. Games are just huge these days.

I also got new Logitech speakers like this -

The ones in the photo are the old ones where the subwoofer pretty much died on me and had that terrible demagnitised buzzing sound. These were pretty much all I could afford for the time being, I'm not an audiophile so they're ok, not great, but just ok.

Elitist1945

I dont know if this will help you but when that happend to me I ran a runner across the two studs. In my case 1"X4"X24" then mounted the mount to the wood. Solid as a rock. And hidden behind your tv.

Late reply but lucky for me behind my TV wall is the unfinished laundry room, so I had access to the studs and screwed two extra pieces of small studs across them where I needed to mount it. Worked like a charm.

entremet

This thread is a good showcase of the haves in this forum >.> ...

Anyways, some nice setups here. I'll borrow a few ideas.

I think people also need to understand that most have been working on their setups over time. It's not an overnight thing.

Mihos

Gold Member
I think people also need to understand that most have been working on their setups over time. It's not an overnight thing.

Decades even. Most of the retro systems I have, I bought on release day for example. If you think I had that stuff at 25, your crazy.

Wiped89

I am a console man through and through.

Very pleased with my setup now. LG OLED 4K + LG SH7 Sound bar + PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Wii U + Switch (+Freeview HD recorder). The nice wide glossy stand is amazing because it has two storage compartments where I keep wires and cables (left hand side) and old games (PS3, Wii & DS in right hand side).

NEO0MJ

I guess you're right. Maybe I was just so little jealous. Hope I can get something nice looking set up in the future.

Thabass

I know this setup isn't anything special but I am moving on to bigger and better things in 2 weeks and I thought it would be fun to share my crappy basement apartment gaming space before its gone! I do have some cool stuff here, like signed photographs of Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Brett Favre.

Many hours of playing PC (now also Switch) games and watching sports have taken place in this spot so it is special to me! Doing a bit of both right now in fact...

Go Sox.

Vipu

Banned
I just finished school and moved into this place, so things are a bit barebones right now. Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome!

nfri6kT.png

o4sFyUZ.png

ZdIjkqw.png

Maybe get some bigger carpet that goes under the table?
That small thing doesnt really fit the rest.

Top Bottom