• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*sigh* Kat Bailey is leaving 1-Up for Gamepro.

GhaleonQ

GamePro's Jason Wilson joins Kat and Scooter to wrap-up GDC with a look at upcoming MMORPGs for 2011 before offering a final verdict on Dragon Age II. Afterward, stick around for an interview with Deus Ex: Human Revolution's Jean-Francois Dugas & David Anfossi, and a fond farewell from Kat as she bids goodbye to 1UP.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/ATB031111.mp3

"Hopefully, Active Time Babble won't die." *skeptical eyebrow raise* Good luck to her, though.

And while I guess you can post what you want, I think we're even post-"PSH I DONT EVEN GO THERE ANYMORE." I just thought people would like to know if they missed it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, I'm surprised GamePro is making all these hires. I didn't even know Jason Wilson moved over... I guess print isn't dead, or something. But I think Kat was doing freelance reviews for them for a while anyway, so it makes sense that they'd just bring her on full time.

I'm also not that surprised that they all seem to like DA2 though. The characters all seem like the boring BioWare archetypes anyway.

As for 1up, eh.

Kuran

Banned
Don't mind her on the Retronauts podcast.. but she has such a nerdy way of talking. She is like the female version of Bill Gates.

Sqorgar

Banned
Is that the same Kat Bailey who wrote one of the worst reviews I've ever read for Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll over at GamePro? They hired her after she gave them a review of a game she obviously didn't play?

Axiom

Shame, she was quite good at what she did at 1up, and what she did was be a genuine nerd about Japanese video game trends without being completely awful about it, which has been a lacking voice in game media these days.

Hope she gets to continue doing podcast work in addition to her writing at Gamepro.

Emitan

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Get Jeremy Parish out of there. Too good for 1up. Probably too good for any gaming site though...
Put him on the Giant Bombast. He'd fill a niche those guys are missing.

Jex

Oh 1UP, your ability retain knowledgeable staff is quite serious.

I suppose that's one less podcast that I can listen to.

Axiom

Jeremy and Kat off doing their own thing would be something I'd follow till the ends of the earth, even if I want to try Hyperdimension Neptunia in spite of her hatred for it.

Billychu said:
Put him on the Giant Bombast. He'd fill a niche those guys are missing.
Whiskey could do with a completely separate podcast with Dave and the gang which Jeremy would be suited to, rather than messing with the formula GB has, and will likely never mess with until forced.

Wow, just wow. Who managed these people through all of these exodudes and firings on a yearly basis? Good luck Kat Bailey I was a big ATB fan.

Emitan

Axiom said:
Whiskey could do with a completely separate podcast with Dave and the gang which Jeremy would be suited to, rather than messing with the formula GB has, and will likely never mess with until forced.
That makes a lot more sense, actually. After posting that I started thinking about Jeremy being on Bombast and I realized he really wouldn't fit. Brad is the most mellow person on it, and I still feel like he's "crazier" than Jeremy.

Monocle

I've long considered Gamepro the bottom of the barrel in terms of mainstream game magazines. Has it improved in the last few years?

I stopped listening to ATB once she became the guiding force behind it. I doubt this will help the podcast's situation, but it doesn't bother me all that much.

zoku88

Oh, she's the one that does the ATB podcast?

That and 8-4 are the only podcasts hosted on 1up that I listen to :-/

I hope ATB will continue. GP is right by 1Up, right? So she could still do shows with Scooter and Jeremy every now and then.

GL at GP, Kat.

Like I said in my post. Why is theRE a culture at 1up that it is a place where you aspire to leave or move up from? That is a management issue.

Yoshiya

That's unfortunate. She was the only member of the 1up staff apart from Parish that I payed any attention to. No ATB means I really have no reason to care about 1up now apart from the occasional Retronauts. 1up seemed to better serve niche audiences with those podcasts than all the other media outlets which more or less all covered the same mainstream news etc. Now that's almost gone, given 8-4 is linked so tenuously.

Katbot

Anerythristic said:
Like I said in my post. Why is theRE a culture at 1up that it is a place where you aspire to leave or move up from? That is a management issue.

It was mostly that I wanted a full-time gig =)

what? I thought Dave halverson was supposed to hire her for Gamefan?

That's pretty funny =)

Thanks guys, I'm honored by all the well wishing. Hopefully I can continue podcasting over at GamePro.

Edgeward

Katbot said:
Thanks guys, I'm honored by all the well wishing. Hopefully I can continue podcasting over at GamePro.

Grats on the gig, and please continue to podcast! JRPGs get neglected by most podcasts so a podcast dedicated to them was a godsend for me.

Emitan

Katbot said:
Please do. I've finally starting playing JRPGs that aren't named Pokemon and ATB was my favorite source of information about these games. It's a shame you're leaving 1-Up, but congratulations on getting the job you wanted.

Heh, I love love her tone of voice when doing the Jackass ad.

I think forcing her do to that advertisement at the start of the podcast was enough to make her leave.

Kuran said:
Don't mind her on the Retronauts podcast.. but she has such a nerdy way of talking. She is like the female version of Bill Gates.

That's what makes it so refreshing, podcasts seem to be too full of MAN-Power putting on egos talking about their drinking etc... I love nerdy, not trying to make yourself seem COOL , talking for a change

Emitan

Ninja Scooter said:
Fuck no. Chemistry of the Bombcast is perfect as is.
Yeah, I changed my mind later when I realized he wouldn't fit in at all. I just wanted him on it because Bombcast is my favorite podcast (now that Retronauts isn't in it's old form) and he's one of my favorite people on a games podcast.

entremet

God's Beard said:
I miss the 1up Show :-(
1up had a great 2 year run. It's crazy the amount of talent they had in that company, probably all horribly underpaid. It was bound to be temporary.

That's why I don't the get sinking ship criticisms of the current 1up. People leave their jobs all the time in the real world, as it were. 1up was no exception. Not to mention that Ziff was horribly managed and it was pretty much known. I'm just glad they gave us that amazing run with the 1up show and the great podcasts.

But to expect a return to glory is naïve. It was a pretty unique situation and we'll probably never see something like that again.

Nert

Billychu said:
Yeah, I changed my mind later when I realized he wouldn't fit in at all. I just wanted him on it because Bombcast is my favorite podcast (now that Retronauts isn't in it's old form) and he's one of my favorite people on a games podcast.

I agree that he wouldn't necessarily gel with the Giant Bomb guys, but their tastes have a decent amount of overlap when you think about it. Jeff loves going on random tangents about old consoles, games, and the history of the industry, and it's not like Jeremy is allergic to the types of games they talk about (I remember him really enjoying Halo 3: ODST and Assassin's Creed 2, for example).

More on topic, though, I hope that Kat finds success with GamePro. I always enjoyed her on ATB when I gave it a listen.

mujun

That sucks. Despite her permanently half asleep sounding voice (only half serious :)) I really like Kat's work on ATB and the like. Even dig her solo ATB episodes. Especially like the way she defended DA2 in the latest ATB, echoed a lot of my own feelings and I like the way she made her points and stood her ground.

MechaX

Boo. I like the Jeremy + Kat tag-team on ATB and Retronauts. With either of them gone, both podcasts essentially sink in my eyes.

I guess Bombcast is pretty much the only podcast I have left these days.

Gattsu25

Banned
MechaX said:
Boo. I like the Jeremy + Kat tag-team on ATB and Retronauts. With either of them gone, both podcasts essentially sink in my eyes.

I guess Bombcast is pretty much the only podcast I have left these days.
Cruncheons (not a fan of the guest on the latest ep)
Idle Thumbs (they are actually making new episodes this month)

Massa

Was she ever with 1UP? I thought she was a freelance writer.

In any case, congrats to her on getting the job at Gamepro.

graywolf323

Sqorgar said:
Is that the same Kat Bailey who wrote one of the worst reviews I've ever read for Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll over at GamePro? They hired her after she gave them a review of a game she obviously didn't play?

she also wrote a somewhat questionable review of Hyperdimension Neptunia for GameSpot (not as bad as the one you mentioned though)

didn't realize she actually worked for 1UP, thought she just freelanced

edit: I did like her on the podcasts, she was good on the Retronauts about Pokemon

LayLa

Awww, gonna miss her on ATB, the only podcast i've heard hosted by someone who talked about gaming intelligently without resorting to tediously unfunny snark
Good luck Kat!

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Massa said:
Was she ever with 1UP? I thought she was a freelance writer.
This is correct. I'm bummed that she won't be contributing to 1UP anymore, but no one could possibly begrudge a freelancer for taking a full-time job with all the benefits that go along with it (health insurance, that sort of thing). It's an upgrade in life. The freelancer's equivalent of a full-time games press writer taking a job as a community manager at Microsoft!

notworksafe

Axiom said:
Jeremy and Kat off doing their own thing would be something I'd follow till the ends of the earth, even if I want to try Hyperdimension Neptunia in spite of her hatred for it.
A Jeremy, Kat, and Ray retro games and RPG site would be beyond awesome.

Top Bottom