• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*sigh* Kat Bailey is leaving 1-Up for Gamepro.

Credo

Hearing the news about Ray heartens my previously disheartened heart. Hopefully, he and Kat can collaborate on some kind of podcast or video feature. I've loved everything that each of them have worked on.

Revive the Sound Test!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
zoku88 said:
Oh, she's the one that does the ATB podcast?

That and 8-4 are the only podcasts hosted on 1up that I listen to :-/

Same. I always looked forward to her ATB discussions. Can't think of -any- other podcast that had such in-depth discussions on games like Ys, Tactics Ogre, and Dragon Quest. Hope she continues to cast in the future, as it is rare to hear such deep dissections from the perspective of someone putting dozens or even hundreds of hours into these games.

Curufinwe

graywolf323 said:
he's also left since then and now works for GameSpot/Metacritic/etc. (forget his exact job)

Pretty sure his official title there is RoboCod.
James_pond_2_cover.jpg

Corto

Good luck Kat. I hope you can host a podcast at gamepro or go independent. I listened and loved ATB... Please don't fall under the radar ok? ;)

Curufinwe

hayguyz said:
Noooo my games journalism (lol) personality is moving to another games journalism (lol) site!

So you care enough about games to post on GAF, but you think it's funny that people who like RPGs are interested in the fact that a consistently informative and entertaining RPG podcast is probably done because its host/creator is moving to another site?

The tired old games journalism (lol) meme contributes nothing to this thread except informing us that you aren't worth taking seriously. First and last post of yours I'll ever read.

Monocle said:
I've long considered Gamepro the bottom of the barrel in terms of mainstream game magazines. Has it improved in the last few years?

it is a solid read now. Well worth the money spent on buying it. I'm actually buying magazines again and it's great.

Kat...shame you're leaving.

Now there are no 1Up podcasts to listen to.

Parish...get thee to a website worth visiting.

BitchTits

Oh no, I live for my ATB fix every 2 weeks!

Best of luck Kat, hope we get to hear you on another RPG podcast, somewhere somehow!

...in three or four years when 1Up has died a slow, sad death, I'm actually quite interested in reading/watching/listening to the documentary called, "1Up.com. What the fuck happened?"

StinkFist

Banned
Good stuff. I adored Kat on the contributions she did via video, audio, and written. Hope she does another podcast. I nearly agreed with her opinions !00% anytime she talked about games. Would actually like to see her move up in the world of gaming, so I'll definitley read her contributions over at Gamepro.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
bigdaddygamebot said:
...in three or four years when 1Up has died a slow, sad death, I'm actually quite interested in reading/watching/listening to the documentary called, "1Up.com. What the fuck happened?"

Ancient Ziff Davis debt.

bigdaddygamebot said:

There are going to be some GOOOOOD podcasts about this in the near future, bet your ass on it.

AND Jason Wilson. That's some quality staff they have there.

It's what we need!

Just read through this thread, it's been emotion filled journey.

Sadness: Kat leaving 1UP, inevitable death of ATB.

Joy: Kat's getting a full time job with benefits AND Ray was also hired to GamePro. Ok, I'll subscribe.

Hope: In the not too distant future, "T-Frog" Parrish will leave 1UP for a better job with GamePro. Goes on to create a one-time, excellence filled, podcast with Kat, Ray, himself and special guests Scott Sharkey, Shane Bettenhausen and Jenn Frank.

Don't crush my hopes, GAF.

ToastyFrog said:
This is correct. I'm bummed that she won't be contributing to 1UP anymore, but no one could possibly begrudge a freelancer for taking a full-time job with all the benefits that go along with it (health insurance, that sort of thing). It's an upgrade in life. The freelancer's equivalent of a full-time games press writer taking a job as a community manager at Microsoft!

Hilarious and so true.

Quasar

I guess here's a good place to ask.

Is there a digital version of GamePro magazine? I know it doesn't appear to be on Zinio (where I get Edge).

GhaleonQ

Fodder76 said:
On that note, are there any other good RPG-focused podcasts out there?

I don't know if they're good, but I think RPGFan and RPGamer both do shows and their websites are quite good.

Mar

bigdaddygamebot said:

Truth.

1up was at the forefront of a new wave of free thinking and a revolution in game journalism. 1up Show, 1up Yours, GFW, I don't think there was a part of it that I didn't consume. They had so many talented people and so many new ideas.

Now, you're lucky to hear an internet murmur about the site. It's almost slipped in to utter obscurity.

While it went downhill for a good while, I finally stopped visiting when Garnett moved on.

Such a shame. But the good news: All those people still exist and still do really cool things.

GhaleonQ

They got their own topic (maybe it got deleted with the NeoGAF time switch?), but I'll just say I'm actually sort of glad, because it means there's no way that 1-Up can be a real website with 5 content makers. Hopefully, parts of the old staff recongregate elsewhere.

ScOULaris

Monocle said:
I've long considered Gamepro the bottom of the barrel in terms of mainstream game magazines. Has it improved in the last few years?
It was awful for a long time, but ever since Davison took over in 2009 it's become the gaming magazine to beat in the U.S. Davison left less than a year after becoming the new EIC, but the magazine has kept up its new quality since his departure.

Suzzopher

ScOULaris said:
It was awful for a long time, but ever since Davison took over in 2009 it's become the gaming magazine to beat in the U.S. Davison left less than a year after becoming the new EIC, but the magazine has kept up its new quality since his departure.

Game Pro also has the legend that is Julian Rignall.

It's the British touch that makes mags good B)

marrec

Banned
I will always have old episodes of ATB. Really didn't like Kat in the first episode but she kinda grows on you like nerdy mold until you're totally okay with having nerdy mold all over the baseboards.

I swear this started out as a compliment.

Edit: Does Kat have a twitter thing? I'm pretty sure she does.

Top Bottom