• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin And Punishment Developer Treasure Working On 3DS Exclusive

anyone saying sin and punishment has surely forgotten how badly the last one did, especially if Nintendo is splitting the bill.

...which is a good question.

Hell yeah. Sin and Punishment 2 was one of the best games of the generation, and I give Iwata props for backing the talent at Treasure, in all likelihood despite knowing it caters to a very niche market. It really is a game by gamers for gamers, and I love Treasure for making it and Nintendo for bankrolling it. I pray this 3DS project yields similar results (and hopefully much better sales). Any idea if Nintendo is publishing this project as well?

Also, I'm pretty much down with whatever Treasure decides to do, but a Sequel to Mischief Makers would be completely awesome. I'd also trust them with pretty much any schmup or rail shooter after Gradius V and Sin and Punishment 2.

Top Tier:
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Gradius V
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Guardian Heroes
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Mischief Makers

Silhouette Mirage Tier:
Silhouette Mirage

Mid Tier:
Alien Soldier
Wario World
Gunstar Super Heroes

Low Tier:
McDonald's Treasure Land
Stretch Panic
Advance Guardian Heroes

Didn't play lol Tier:
the rest of 'em

Uh, fixed. What kind of bizarro world am I in right now that someone would classify RS and Ikaruga as mid tier? I love Neogaf but man...only on Neogaf. Anyways, since I obviously just came through a wormhole I guess I'll need one of these now:

404EFD74-58E1-4BF6-AA98-793BB16F7773-14550-000010CF7F7C60BC.jpg

Shion

Top Tier:
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Gradius V
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Guardian Heroes
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Mischief Makers

Silhouette Mirage Tier:
Silhouette Mirage

Mid Tier:
Alien Soldier
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Wario World
Gunstar Super Heroes

Low Tier:
McDonald's Treasure Land
Stretch Panic
Advance Guardian Heroes

Didn't play lol Tier:
the rest of 'em
God Tier:
• Alien Soldier
• Bangai-O
• Gradius V
• Guardian Heroes
• Gunstar Heroes
• Ikaruga
• Radiant Silvergun
• Sin and Punishment

Astro Boy Tier:
• Astro Boy: Omega Factor
• Dynamite Headdy
• Mischief Makers
• Silhouette Mirage

Mid Tier:
• Gunstar Super Heroes

Low Tier:
• Advance Guardian Heroes
• Wario World

fixed :p

AntMurda

Affinity aside, the fact is that Treasure is mainly developer of niche games that works on very unfriendly time frames (read the sin and punishment Iwata Asks). They probably are best suited for smaller indie digital releases.

hatchx

Banned
This news is a lot more exciting for Japan gaf. This is just another game on the 'please localize' list for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Uh, fixed. What kind of bizarro world am I in right now that someone would classify RS and Ikaruga as mid tier? I love Neogaf but man...only on Neogaf. Anyways, since I obviously just came through a wormhole I guess I'll need one of these now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dylanh/404EFD74-58E1-4BF6-AA98-793BB16F7773-14550-000010CF7F7C60BC.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

RS is an impressive game for sure, but it's just not a very good shooting game. A mandatory chaining system that forces you to ignore 2 of the game's 3 enemy types because it doesn't let you keep your multiplier when you switch colors after a chain? Yeah, it's not very good. If it didn't tie essential weapon upgrades to scoring I think it would be much more fun to play at least, although I'd still never play it for score.

Ikaruga is much better because you don't have to keep an unbroken chain on a single color, but ultimately it's just kind of average. The enemy design and patterns are among Treasure's weakest. Music is great though.

(and personally i dislike any shooter where eating bullets is a core mechanic)

Radiant Silvergun is good and entertaining, it's just kinda a shitty shmup. I like it more than Ikaruga, but not by much.

No idea how these two keep getting brought up as the pinnacle of the Shmup genre. They wouldn't even make my top 25.

RS is an impressive game for sure, but it's just not a very good shooting game. A mandatory chaining system that forces you to ignore 2 of the game's 3 enemy types because it doesn't let you keep your multiplier when you switch colors after a chain? Yeah, it's not very good. If it didn't tie essential weapon upgrades to scoring I think it would be much more fun to play at least, although I'd still never play it for score.

Ikaruga is much better because you don't have to keep an unbroken chain on a single color, but ultimately it's just kind of average. The enemy design and patterns are among Treasure's weakest. Music is great though.

(and personally i dislike any shooter where eating bullets is a core mechanic)

Radiant Silvergun is good and entertaining, it's just kinda a shitty shmup. I like it more than Ikaruga, but not by much.

No idea how these two keep getting brought up as the pinnacle of the Shmup genre. They wouldn't even make my top 25.

Believe me, I prefer chaining in Cave type manic shmups (especially DDP) but I love the color chains of the aforementioned games now and then for a more cerebral rush. Punishing, yes, but it in no way makes them bad shmups. I and a friend are actually having a score competition on RS, it's brutal but we love it. We competed on Raiden a few month ago (I won, haha) and decided for something meaner this time. :p

we can't all read Japanese bro :(

You really shouldn't need it for a Teeasure game.

Star Fox x Metroid amirite?
After playing Sin and Punishment 2 I'm down with it. People always say you're a purist or adverse to change if you don't like whatever new direction they take and water down the Metroid formula with, but I would cream my jeans for a Metroid themed shooter from Treasure in the vein of Star Fox using the IR pointer. Use the gunship for the bulk of the game and throw in some S&P/Space Harrier type levels with Samus spelunking planetoids in a badass new space suit and call it a day. Just keep it furry free for God's sake.

linko9

I didn't know there was more than one team at Treasure. Good news, I hope it's not a sequel. But I certainly wouldn't complain if it's an S&P game.

It would be like playing Sin and Punishment 2 with the classic controller and not the remote. Why would anyone want to go back to that?

Um, the Wiimote is comfortable to hold and use movement controls at the same time. The 3DS isn't. If Icarus was a Wii game and used the Wiimote, I'd be fine with it. But it's not. It's a good game ruined with a disgustingly poor control scheme.

Treasure is seriously one of the most interesting developers in gaming.

First party studios love to work with them (Sega, MS, Nintendo), their games are critical darlings and their games sell so fucking bad that I can't believe that they're still in business.

I await whatever comes out of this with baited breath.

Treasure is seriously one of the most interesting developers in gaming.

First party studios love to work with them (Sega, MS, Nintendo), their games are critical darlings and their games sell so fucking bad that I can't believe that they're still in business.

I await whatever comes out of this with baited breath.

Because their budgets are small, that's why.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If you can't grasp the controls of Kid Icarus: Uprising, the problem is with you, not the controls.

:( I'm up to level 14 and it's still a struggle. The flight sections flow smoothly for me but the 3D sections, just feels so overwhelming, especially when enemies spawn all over the place.

daakusedo

I played uprising today after a long long time, was trying to beat chapter 11 at 9.0 the last time. Like my previous experience after a hiatus, I could go directly at 9.0 without a bit of training like smash bros when I end up in a tourney and hadn't touch the game for years and still be quickly in the mood. So in kid icarus I didn't lose my skill, something I find quite amazing given the difficulty, still couldn't finish the level though, that vicious little last arena before the boss... but it makes me think Sakurai has done something right with those controls.

About s&p2, I finally found good videos by Eboshidori on youtube. He got through stages without being hit and do all the special stuff to get the medals, that's awesome to watch.

People didn't like Gunstar Super Heroes that much?

I like Gunstar Super Heroes for its incredible GBA visuals and constant parade of gameplay variety not seen in a Treasure game since Dynamite Headdy. But I do find the overall package pretty uneven, as it never settles if it wants to be a sequel to Gunstar Heroes or a remake. And some of the ideas work better than others.

Holy FUCK are those new melee attacks overpowered, though :lol

Mupod

People didn't like Gunstar Super Heroes that much?

For years Treasure said they'd never make a GH sequel because they knew they couldn't make a game better than the original. So when they finally caved in to our demands I went into the new one with lowered expectations. So while I wasn't blown away it's still a great game and probably my second favorite action title on GBA after Mega Man Zero 2. But I mean, Gunstar Heroes without co-op is missing a huge part of what made the original so amazing. Also those top down stages suck.

Top Bottom