• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity |OT| - Anyone? No?

The shooting/combat in Singularity is pretty fun; that's something a lot of developers making shooters fail at. The minor issues don't bother me because simple actions feel good. I'm remembering that Raven made the newest Wolfenstein that I played recently and I liked that too for similar reasons. Checking wiki, Raven makes extremely solid and enjoyable games. At least for the games I've played, none have been bad.

There was an exact point late in the game where I threw a time bubble at an enemy, shot 100 bullets into his time-frozen face with my chain gun, and closed it watching all that damage unfold that I thought "that was awesome! I've been enjoying this game!" It was like a culmination of enjoyment throughout the game without any peaks or lows. Granted, I don't play many shooters these days, but Kane and Lynch 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, and demos for games like Killzone 3 all were so boring. Singularity managed a steady flow of entertainment throughout.

I like these fun B-shooter that most seem to ignore. Timeshift was fun too.

Edgeward

Well shit, I think I'm boned early on. Shortly after being introduced to Kathryn, I get stuck with the pistol which is just awful: slow, and even worse, weak as poo. I didn't find any other guns along the way but kept seeing ammo for other guns, fine I though, maybe it's a programming thing and it's all random.

But now I'm in a situation early on where I'm trying open a door from outside a courtyard, and I'm surrounded by 5 blue dudes. And the checkpoint beforehand only has ammo of the rifles and shotgun but not actual guns. FUCK.

Gonna have to put this on the backburner then, really don't feel like doing the intro all over again.

Hypatia

The check point system screwed me over too; my save file is stuck so it never updates.

I played through the train section/boss, boat section and the section afterwards just to find out on my next play that I'd have to do it all over again... and then it failed to save a second time.

S'too bad really, it's quite fun.

Y2Kev said:
Perfect comparison. Bioshock + Resistance is really perfect. The carbine even feels right!

I don't think the Bioshock comparison really works unless it's purely aesthetically. Choice doesn't really factor into the gameplay beyond the standard FPS schtick of 'maybe I should kill this dude with the sniper!'

And Singularity doesn't really have a sense of progression/improvement like Bioshock does with the plasmid system. It takes far too long to upgrade and the upgrades dont make any obvious difference to the gameplay. You dont even need to upgrade at all and the enemies will react the same as always.

It makes the upgrade system end up feeling rather extraneous to the gameplay compared to Bioshocks plasmids.

And I dont think the atmosphere is anywhere near as palpable as in Bioshock. It feels a lot more like window dressing to me, even with the attempts to expand it with hidden notes and audio logs.

Although, now that I think about it, the Resistance comparison seems quite apt; weapons feeling as if they've no heft to them, an interesting setting with a dull story, simplistic level design, the odd interesting weapon idea that's never really expanded on...

Still it's a fun, if flawed, experience.

(Also we need more time travel games)

schick85

Edgeward said:
Well shit, I think I'm boned early on. Shortly after being introduced to Kathryn, I get stuck with the pistol which is just awful: slow, and even worse, weak as poo. I didn't find any other guns along the way but kept seeing ammo for other guns, fine I though, maybe it's a programming thing and it's all random.

But now I'm in a situation early on where I'm trying open a door from outside a courtyard, and I'm surrounded by 5 blue dudes. And the checkpoint beforehand only has ammo of the rifles and shotgun but not actual guns. FUCK.

Gonna have to put this on the backburner then, really don't feel like doing the intro all over again.
There's actually a shotgun lying around the blue door. Go find it!

Keio

For a Finer World
Got this on the cheap from a Play.com (EU) deal.

Holy crap, perfect "summer blockbuster" stuff. A completely ridiculous story, replete with funny accents and fake cyrillic lettering, but solid action.

The low FOV is a minor annoyance, but helps heighten the tension. And the whole thing is scripted, but I'm enjoying the ride.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bought it yesterday from Steam for 7 bucks, going to play it in two months or so.

Edgeward

schick85 said:
There's actually a shotgun lying around the blue door. Go find it!

Oh my god, I love you forever! Still have yet to find an assault rifle, be real handy at this point. I really dislike how fragile you are and then have to heal yourself manually. Gonna need to map health pack to another button because H is way to far away considering how important it is.

Azriell

Played this not too long ago, as a rental. It's pretty good, although a bit too linear and guided for my tastes. But I liked the endings (I would say they boosted the games score a full level, on the rating scale ghat exists solely in my head), the action is good, and the weapons are pretty cool.

It's not something I would have wanted to pay $60 for, but then again I'm not willin to $60 for much these days.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game is surprisgingly good. and mouselook is surprisingly crisp for a console port.

Any way to set textures on high?

I rented it for PS3. Here is my take.

Story is good

Gameplay is good but the use of time was wasted. They really could of explored the possibilities here

Sound and dialog were decent

Online never happened. I rented it on day one and know one was playing so...

My biggest complaints:
1.Reading notes didnt pause the action. I remember trying to pic up ammo on a desk and there was a note next to it, i was stuck in the note and was getting killed trying to back out.
2.Audiotapes you had to stand on top of to listen, never traveled with you
3.Notes/Tapes were collected. I wish you could collect them to read later. I like scooping notes up and taking a second to learn more during the downtime.
4.No compass: annoying becaue you constatnly get locked out behind you and it causes you to miss unexplored areas when you dont know which is the way to go, you end up skipping stuff and accidentally progessing forward.
5.If you want to be a Bioshock clone, dont take out keep elements that make a game user friendly.

The game is a solid 7. It had a lot of bumps but I still enjoyed the ride.

So I started this up after I bought it on a steam sale. Quit in the middle of the first 5 mins because I couldn't find the subtitles option. Came on here to ask where it was and lo and behold. Fuck this game. I can't play it now, thanks alot.

Dibbs

Im stuck after finishing the second mission, down in the sewers. Im supposed to turn a wheel and the whole place gets flooded with bugs, and I DIE ALL THE FUCKING TIME! How the hell am I suppose to get out of there when it takes ages to heal up and those annoying little assholes keeps on jumping on me? There's no chance to go back either and choose different weapons so Im stuck with that assault rifle and the sniper. This is just bullshit.

McDouchebag said:
Im stuck after finishing the second mission, down in the sewers. Im supposed to turn a wheel and the whole place gets flooded with bugs, and I DIE ALL THE FUCKING TIME! How the hell am I suppose to get out of there when it takes ages to heal up and those annoying little assholes keeps on jumping on me? There's no chance to go back either and choose different weapons so Im stuck with that assault rifle and the sniper. This is just bullshit.

I am not sure which system you are playing on but you have to use the age power of the TMD which is the Q button on the PC and the L2 or LB button on the PS3 or Xbox 360. This will make the bugs grow and they will attack the other bugs. Also you should use the melee often as it will destroy any bugs in front of you but you should monitor your TMD energy and whenever it is clear of bug for a time use the melee to recharge the TMD but only when it is at the point were the TMD will recharge instead of using the melee. It is a flaw and the game; it should let you recharge the TMD when you want but it is still doable. This is hard to explain so I made a video just in case; I played it on hard and it took 3 tries, ten minutes altogether, but I had already beaten the game before.

Video

Dibbs

flashbandit16 said:
I am not sure which system you are playing on but you have to use the age power of the TMD which is the Q button on the PC and the L2 or LB button on the PS3 or Xbox 360. This will make the bugs grow and they will attack the other bugs. Also you should use the melee often as it will destroy any bugs in front of you but you should monitor your TMD energy and whenever it is clear of bug for a time use the melee to recharge the TMD but only when it is at the point were the TMD will recharge instead of using the melee. It is a flaw and the game; it should let you recharge the TMD when you want but it is still doable. This is hard to explain so I made a video just in case; I played it on hard and it took 3 tries, ten minutes altogether, but I had already beaten the game before.

Video

Thanks ALOT. I'll try this tomorrow.

Edgeward

Is the last 4th of the game was like the whole game, this would've been one of the fucking greats. I hated the beginning with the monsters and headcrabs and how weak the weapons were. But once you are powered up so much, that guys die in 3 shots anywhere on the body and can summon time balls and impulse like no other and just being an overall badass the game absolutely shines. Really which there was a new game+, the game would've been amazing to go through again powered up.

Story was whatever, most games with time travel are but I just love the tools given to you in the end. Even If I didn't like most of the weapons, assault rifle, shotgun and heavy machine gun was good enough for me.

What's wrong with this game?
It's impossible. I have no ammo whatsoever and am supposed to kill 8 of the enemies which are the most common in the beginning of the game.
To be able to complete I will have to restart the game and play through it again while conserving every little round of ammo I can find since the game uses checkpoints and I can't load any saves.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Marsipolami said:
It's impossible. I have no ammo whatsoever and am supposed to kill 8 of the enemies which are the most common in the beginning of the game.
To be able to complete I will have to restart the game and play through it again while conserving every little round of ammo I can find since the game uses checkpoints and I can't load any saves.
I never really had any ammo issues, make sure you look around the environment for weapons and ammo. They give you a shottie and assault rifle almost immediately in the game too and shotties are pretty much one hit kills on those enemies.

Stallion Free said:
I never really had any ammo issues, make sure you look around the environment for weapons and ammo. They give you a shottie and assault rifle almost immediately in the game too and shotties are pretty much one hit kills on those enemies.
Yeah, I got through it on my umpteenth attempt when I got AMMO from the random loot, I then managed to get to a place where I could equip the assault rifle. It's smooth sailing from here, I presume.

Erasus

Bump reminded me I completed this a while ago and I love it! Awesome fps game, sort of like a blend between HL2 and Resistance.

Ledsen

Marsipolami said:

I never conserved ammo, played on Hard and only had that problem once in the entire game because I forgot about abilities I could've used to pass the section easily. Do you spray all over the walls or something?

Add me to the list of pretty big fans of this game. Really solid shooting, good to sometimes really good graphics, pretty cool art design, awesome abilities/guns. It didn't do much of anything great in my opinion, but it did everything really, really well.

Sinthetic

I really enjoyed this too, it kinda reminded me of Bioshock (not much)... It should definitely be played through by FPS fans.

Raven are awesome.
Currently playing Hexen 2, which is great. Play through Quake 4 once a year on hardest. Even kinda liked Wolfenstein. Will def play this asap

Denzar

Hate to be bumping this, but just bought this game for a steal (8 euros) in the store where I work. Now, I've got this problem, right at the beginning of this game I need to use melee to bash a board to pieces so I can continue... only, I hit the corresponding button but nothing happens? I've searched the internet but so far I've not been able to find a conclusive answer.

PS3 version btw. I hit R2 and nothing...

NIGHT-

Just finished this last night. What a solid game for the 10 bucks I paid.. I hope a sequel is made because there were some pretty cool bits to it. I found it a bit too easy, even on hard mode though

AppleBlade

Just finished this game a few minutes ago. This game sure was a pleasant surprise. It had a cool art style, nice graphics on PC (my computer is not cutting edge but I was able to max this out and average nearly 60fps), solid story and characters when compared to most shooters out there. The shooting mechanics were perfect.

It was a bit derivative (70% Bioshock, 15% Half-life 2, 15% Resistance) but was good none the less. I sure enjoyed it much more than some of reviews would have led me to believe (Joystiq gave it a 60 and IGN gave it a 70).

Top Bottom