• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Saikyo

Its going to be 4PM the top FOUR because Tekken fans dont know how to keep a schedule...

Hope its not on madcatz stream next year.

Beats

Crowd shot:
BsYU4ByCYAENawi.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/488100563087659008

Martal

Neo Member
Just got a 360 after missing the entire last generation and the reason I got it was fighting games. Im in Europe and I want to try different games. Would it be a good idea to dip my toe into Skullgirls? Is thre still enough competition?

i-Jest

Just got a 360 after missing the entire last generation and the reason I got it was fighting games. Im in Europe and I want to try different games. Would it be a good idea to dip my toe into Skullgirls? Is thre still enough competition?

Yes and yes. Also tutorial mode in this game is one of the best imo.

Martal

Neo Member
Im from Estonia.

And i-jest, so I've heard!
I've even seen some of it on Giant Bomb's quick look video. Does it have a complete tutorial for each character or just the one? Because I saw there are some hit confirm tutorials and such and would be helpful to know if they are different.

Also, what is the preferred form of competition? 3v3 or 1v1?

Ravidrath

Im from Estonia.

I've even seen some of it on Giant Bomb's quick look video. Does it have a complete tutorial for each character or just the one? Because I saw there are some hit confirm tutorials and such and would be helpful to know if they are different.

We have a complete tutorial to, like, teach you how to play fighting games, but also quick tutorials for each character that teaches you how to use all their moves and the strategies for them.

Mono

Im from Estonia.

There's a tutorial for every character, even the DLC characters! The tutorials also cover detailed aspects of the gameplay.

I don't play super competitively, but it seems pretty evenly balanced between 3v3, 2v2, and 1v1, if you're talking about team composition.

Martal

Neo Member
Thanks very much for the fast replies. It looks like I'll be finding out very soon how the competition is exactly when I dive in on the 360!

After what I've seen this weekend, I'm completely convinced current Eliza is minimum top 3 if not best in the game. Granted some of that impression is from Guitalex anhilating mid tier skilled people in the salty suit but my point stands

Martal

Neo Member
Picked up the game just uesterday and man I must say the first impression is great. I just went through the tutorial and was surprised I was able to complete it. I like fighting games, know the basics, but some of the combos at the end there really boosted my confidence. Unfortunately wasn't able to find anyone online but hey, whatever, it is still fun. Kudos to you guys, Lab Zero Games!

After what I've seen this weekend, I'm completely convinced current Eliza is minimum top 3 if not best in the game. Granted some of that impression is from Guitalex anhilating mid tier skilled people in the salty suit but my point stands
How many people said this when Squigly was released?

There is no install hyper, Sekmeth can be called as long as your meter isn't absolutely empty.

Well I guess her taunt now kinda counts as an install and it just makes her have even more things but it's not the issue here.

How many people said this when Squigly was released?

Honestly? Not many people, she was fun and a great addition but was never considered particularly super strong from the outset. Maybe back when her divekicks were all overheads but even then I think her weaker neutral game compared to the stronger characters in the cast was pretty evident.

And certainly no one (good) said that upon Big Band's release.

I've been saying since the moment Eliza had the angled airdash and similar-esque j.HP that she'd be the replacement Valentine and all the tools shes gotten since then havent done much to prove me wrong there. She's going to be pretty damn scary even if we grant that her mobility isn't quite on Valentine's level (no double jump).

There is no install hyper, Sekmeth can be called as long as your meter isn't absolutely empty.

Well I guess her taunt now kinda counts as an install and it just makes her have even more things but it's not the issue here.

Her taunt does things?! :O

I happened to be standing next to Mike when he remembered he hadn't told people that her taunt does stuff now lol

It's cool, but probably not worth the trouble to go out of your way to use

El Sloth

Banned
Mike told people about it during the Eliza exhibition stream. Seems like he's shaky about keeping it. At least it only activates after a successful taunt at the moment.

I consider Sekhmet to be an install hyper. An install hyper with different rules, but still an install hyper.

Honestly? Not many people, she was fun and a great addition but was never considered particularly super strong from the outset. Maybe back when her divekicks were all overheads but even then I think her weaker neutral game compared to the stronger characters in the cast was pretty evident.

And certainly no one (good) said that upon Big Band's release.

I've been saying since the moment Eliza had the angled airdash and similar-esque j.HP that she'd be the replacement Valentine and all the tools shes gotten since then havent done much to prove me wrong there. She's going to be pretty damn scary even if we grant that her mobility isn't quite on Valentine's level (no double jump).

Her taunt does things?! :O
I remember Squigly complaints and raves. :p

Yeah, Big Band didn't get much, but he's a big slow grappler. Far less scary.

Eliza has vampire status for one Sekmeth summon
Hahahahaha. Oh man, that would be ridiculous. At most, it should last through a Sekhmet attack hyper, but not an entire summon. That would just be nuts.

Can someone explain the Sekmeth thing? That's the playable creature in Eliza's exhibition video, right? How does it work?

Oh and super excited for Skullgirls on PS4 and Vita. Are they free if you bought them on PS3? Also, will the PS4 version run at a higher res than PS3?

El Sloth

Banned
Can someone explain the Sekmeth thing? That's the playable creature in Eliza's exhibition video, right? How does it work?

Oh and super excited for Skullgirls on PS4 and Vita. Are they free if you bought them on PS3? Also, will the PS4 version run at a higher res than PS3?

Story-wise, Sekhmet is a parasite like Filia's hair or Squigly's dragon worm thing. Gameplay-wise, she's basically another character Eliza can summon to temporarily take her place. While Sekhmet's out, she is constantly draining your super meter at a fixed rate. She's still a work-in-progress so none of her specifics are set in stone yet, but at the moment she has unlimited hyper-armor, meaning attacks will still damage her but she won't go into a stun animation after being hit, and the only ways to forcibly send her back to Eliza are through throws or snapbacks (or waiting until her meter runs out). Sekhmet has no kick button attacks.

They probably won't be free if you have the PS3 version. A little unfair to expect them to be, in my opinion.

Are all of Eliza's specials and blockbusters in the beta? Since my laptop's hard drive died I haven't followec the progress towards her, at least it's replaced now and I can play again.

Can you set taunts as assists? Would be interesting if Eliza keeps the vampire ability.

Also, what are her good assists looking to be?

Floor grapple monster and sofa pushing monster seem to be it. Boat ride (check these names out) was pretty amazing at first, but now it's not worthwhile. I wish her Fleshecular Shield was invincible.

Hahahahaha. Oh man, that would be ridiculous. At most, it should last through a Sekhmet attack hyper, but not an entire summon. That would just be nuts.

It auto max scales the combo so it's all good tho.

Can you set taunts as assists? Would be interesting if Eliza keeps the vampire ability.

Also, what are her good assists looking to be?

Floor grapple monster and sofa pushing monster seem to be it. Boat ride (check these names out) was pretty amazing at first, but now it's not worthwhile. I wish her Fleshecular Shield was invincible.

-Peacock could at one point in beta, did that stay?

-Sekmeth assists definitely. Lockdown or overhead assist with full hyper armor that can only be punished with a snapback? Cheap

It auto max scales the combo so it's all good tho.

-Peacock could at one point in beta, did that stay?

-Sekmeth assists definitely. Lockdown or overhead assist with full hyper armor that can only be punished with a snapback? Cheap
Wait, what? You can call Sekhmet as an assist? How does that even work? Does it cost meter?

No clue about Peacock.

El Sloth

Banned
Wow, I hadn't considered Sekhmet as an assist call at all. I'm guessing the way Sekhmet's summon works is that the button used to bring her out determines what attack she does? Lp = multiple stabbings, hp = hatchet? But there's also a way to summon her so she doesn't immediatly do an attack?

Sorry, I still don't have a computer that can run the beta anymore so I can't see for myself.

Beats

Wow, I hadn't considered Sekhmet as an assist call at all. I'm guessing the way Sekhmet's summon works is that the button used to bring her out determines what attack she does? Lp = multiple stabbings, hp = hatchet? But there's also a way to summon her so she doesn't immediatly do an attack?

Sorry, I still don't have a computer that can run the beta anymore so I can't see for myself.

I just tried it and it pretty much works like that. I don't think you can summon her without her doing an attack.

Top Bottom