• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Linux dude is now PS4 dude and Linux port will be easier to complete due to it.

I really hope we keep the new snapback effect+music and super kill screen even if they are PS4/PC only bonuses.

Can't say I was too enthusiastic about the super kill screen but the snapback effect is absolutely charming.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
I'm finally back from Evo, all torturous parts of my journey! I seem to remember that I was going to talk to Ravidrath further about the Surface for some reason, but I can't be damned to remember what I was actually going to say.

Can't say I was too enthusiastic about the super kill screen but the snapback effect is absolutely charming.

Same. The action lines are awesome. Red background? Not so much.

Ravidrath

I'm finally back from Evo, all torturous parts of my journey! I seem to remember that I was going to talk to Ravidrath further about the Surface for some reason, but I can't be damned to remember what I was actually going to say.

Well, if you remember, be sure to ask.

h Surface is pretty much just a PC, though? So it pretty much works exactly like a PC would.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Well, if you remember, be sure to ask.

h Surface is pretty much just a PC, though? So it pretty much works exactly like a PC would.

Only the Surface Pro, obviously. The Surface (RT) uses an ARM processor and only runs Windows Store apps without jailbreaking (and even if you jailbreak, programs need to be recompiled to work under that architecture).

On the plus side, Windows Store apps will also function perfectly fine on Windows Phone and regular PCs!

edit: I REMEMBER

The SP3 uses a heavily modified N-Trig digitizer which actually performs better than the Wacom digitizers of the SP1 and the SP2. Mike Krahulik has been drawing Penny Arcade on one for quite a while and he's basically having the time of his life with it.

During NEC I ran one of the setups on my SP1 using the HDMI out adapter but people complained about lag on the monitor. The setup itself was lag-free, hilariously. I don't know if this problem was solved in the newer models but it's worth fucking around with.

Mr. X

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/237881031112589724
7/23 Endless Beta Patch
General
- Super Finish effect version 3! Sepia tone and better portraits; fix bugs where certain supers wouldn't trigger it (Double's Lv5 rings, etc); fix bug where supers that change the background would trigger it, they no longer will (Double's Lv3, Flatline, etc); explicitly add it for Ultimate Showstopper -> Devil Horns because METAL!
- Fix occasional wrong-way-input reversal attacks for Fukua after a successful BFFs finishes.
- Fix a bunch of bugs with Fukua's j.HK (didn't dive against Marie, went totally bonkers if it hit Horace, etc) by implementing it the correct way instead of the janky way. For complicated reasons this meant reducing the active time to 1f because it would still break if it hit with the 2nd+ active frame, so! Fukua j.HK active time 3f->1f.

Beta stuff that was already on the list but was waiting until after Evo so PS3/360 owners could practice for Evo...
- Cerebella's Diamond Dynamo's first active frame (while opponent is frozen) has a smaller hitbox than the frames after it, like most other Lv1s; invincibility shortened to only overlap the first few active frames, like all other Lv1s. Excellabella/Cerecopter -> Dynamo still works.
- Fukua's Drill Of My Dreams is now possible in the air; pre-flash startup is now 6f.
- Fukua's command throw startup 4f->8f, damage 1800->2000.
- Fukua's fireballs: damage 350->700, chip dmg 150->300; decrease hitstun/blockstun on all fireballs to ground LP fireball values; air fireballs do not bounce.
- Fukua's airthrow now regular techable knockdown, but much easier to combo into air fireball super after it.
- Fukua's BFFs startup +3f, increases the window to whiff a throw and still block the super from 1f to 4f.

Eliza
- Crouching normal attack VO. Some bits are not final, don't worry.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Are you able to elaborate? I had assumed you already had a contract with autumn. I'm also surprised to hear that you have never received any share of sales until now.

Ravidrath

Are you able to elaborate? I had assumed you already had a contract with autumn. I'm also surprised to hear that you have never received any share of sales until now.

The whole thing was just passion and persistence, and we trusted Autumn so there wasn't a contract between us. And it's not like there was any money changing hands between us, so there really wasn't a need for a contract - we just got their blessing to make new content through the IGG and got to work.

Later, they offered us a pretty generous royalty as part of the PS4/Vita contract, which applies to everything.

Ohnonono

The whole thing was just passion and persistence, and we trusted Autumn so there wasn't a contract between us. And it's not like there was any money changing hands between us, so there really wasn't a need for a contract - we just got their blessing to make new content through the IGG and got to work.

Later, they offered us a pretty generous royalty as part of the PS4/Vita contract, which applies to everything.

So how good will the vita version be? You can just tell me now.

Also... is cross play with the PS4 version possible? That REALLY adds value to Vita fighters.

Nyoro SF

So how good will the vita version be? You can just tell me now.

Also... is cross play with the PS4 version possible? That REALLY adds value to Vita fighters.

I think Skullgirls will do fine on the Vita, all it needs is to load quickly.

Utilizing the touch screen of the Vita for tags and and other things would be nice, since it only has single triggers.

Nyoro SF

Just curious, but...

Do you mean load more quickly than the PS3/360 versions, or just "quickly" because other games load slowly?

Ah. For my personal experience, "quickly" is a defined parameter of 8 seconds or less to get from the versus screen into the match and at least 20 seconds or less to start the game post-unskippable company logos. Sorry for not clarifying.

I don't know how good the memory and processor power of a Vita is in comparison to last generation consoles.

Compared to Blazblue CP Vita. The load times for that are in the range of 2 minutes to start the game, and about 20 seconds to get into the versus/character select screen from the main menu. That is far too much. Even doing a rematch has excessive loading.

Ah. For my personal experience, "quickly" is a defined parameter of 8 seconds or less to get from the versus screen into the match and at least 20 seconds or less to start the game post-unskippable company logos. Sorry for not clarifying.

I don't know how good the memory and processor power of a Vita is in comparison to last generation consoles.

Compared to Blazblue CP Vita. The load times for that are in the range of 2 minutes to start the game, and about 20 seconds to get into the versus/character select screen from the main menu. That is far too much. Even doing a rematch has excessive loading.

This probably has more to do with the speed of the filesystem rather than those things. The whole point of loading is so the memory and processor(s) are the only players doing the work during actual playtime, as they're the fastest components of the system.

That being said, loading times are a big thing even on Vita first-party games like Soul Sacrifice, so I'd probably temper your expectations.

Nyoro SF

This probably has more to do with the speed of the filesystem rather than those things. The whole point of loading is so the memory and processor(s) are the only players doing the work during actual playtime, as they're the fastest components of the system.

That being said, loading times are a big thing even on Vita first-party games like Soul Sacrifice, so I'd probably temper your expectations.

Well... I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert, but I hope a purely 2D fighter can do better than Soul Sacrifice when it comes to all the loading involved.

Ravidrath

Yeah, the reason I'm asking is because this could be the best reason to remunge all the art at lower res, even if the Vita could technically handle the PS3-res assets.

Well... I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert, but I hope a purely 2D fighter can do better than Soul Sacrifice when it comes to all the loading involved.

RAM is RAM - doesn't matter what the data is, it's going to take time to fill it up.

I mean, of course it's actually more complicated than that. But if the load times seem bad with the PS3 data, that may mean it's time to reduce their res just to lower those.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, the reason I'm asking is because this could be the best reason to remunge all the art at lower res, even if the Vita could technically handle the PS3-res assets.

RAM is RAM - doesn't matter what the data is, it's going to take time to fill it up.

I mean, of course it's actually more complicated than that. But if the load times seem bad with the PS3 data, that may mean it's time to reduce their res just to lower those.

If you have to lower the resolution of the art to get better loading times, I would accept that 100%. No point in a super pretty game if you have to wait all the time to play it.

Blazblue CP taught me that quick. Game looks fantastic on Vita but I can't be damned to keep waiting, waiting... and waiting. Esp. between matches.

Oh man, I hope not... but you're probably right.

If disc access is slower on Vita than console, that's also going to affect streaming in team members. If that underperforms too poorly, then every team member might have to be loaded into memory from the beginning... which is ironic, since that isn't possible on console but would be on Vita.

Blazblue CP taught me that quick. Game looks fantastic on Vita but I can't be damned to keep waiting, waiting... and waiting. Esp. between matches.

Yeah, but Blazblue CP Vita also uses down-ressed assets from the PS3 version.

Nyoro SF

Oh man, I hope not... but you're probably right.

If disc access is slower on Vita than console, that's also going to affect streaming in team members. If that underperforms too poorly, then every team member might have to be loaded into memory from the beginning... which is ironic, since that isn't possible on console but would be on Vita.

Yeah, but Blazblue CP Vita also uses down-ressed assets from the PS3 version.

We need to go lower.

Remove all background objects, have only the training stage as an option. Remove the HUD and replace it with nothing but tiny 5px-wide numbers. Turn the character select and menus into a command line prompt. All characters will now be loaded at 144p. No music allowed.

Ravidrath

If you have to lower the resolution of the art to get better loading times, I would accept that 100%. No point in a super pretty game if you have to wait all the time to play it.

Well, using the exact PS3 assets would be overkill.

We'd downres them to be the correct resolution for the Vita.

Ohnonono

Well, using the exact PS3 assets would be overkill.

We'd downres them to be the correct resolution for the Vita.

Seriously... how possible is cross-play? Maybe y'all could talk to Sony and have them help because it really adds value. I am buying no matter what but being able to play online constantly would be a real joy. It worked great (and still does) on SFxTekken.

Ravidrath

Seriously... how possible is cross-play? Maybe y'all could talk to Sony and have them help because it really adds value. I am buying no matter what but being able to play online constantly would be a real joy. It worked great (and still does) on SFxTekken.

I'm purposely avoiding addressing this until we're farther in development, sorry.

Saikyo

Its better this way, I remember how they wanted crossplay between ps3 and pc but sony didnt allowed it or something like that.

Just keep the good work, next port it to ouya
, no dont do that

Ravidrath

Its better this way, I remember how they wanted crossplay between ps3 and pc but sony didnt allowed it or something like that.

The options for crossplay for PS3/PC were Gamespy or Steam.

Gamespy we felt would be a nightmare for a number of reasons. No one had Gamespy friends, it would be another layer / friends list on the PC version, with a UI nightmare for both versions to boot.

We thought because of Portal 2 that we could use Steam on PS3, and it would solve all of our problems. But Sony never approved it as actual middleware, so that wasn't an option for us.

Sony cross-play is a different thing, since PSN is PSN on all three platforms.

ElTopo

Banned
Is it okay if I ask some scrub-questions? I guess I should ask on Skullheart but I'll ask here first.

SG is one of those games that I want to get into but just can't. I never liked Marvel or hyper-aggressive fighters or Animu games. Plus I hate long combos with a passion, I hate making one mistake and having to wait 20 seconds for the combo to end and then I can play again. I also hate Assists. If the game had MVC1-styled Assists where there's a limit to them, then I'd be okay, if the Assists were like MVC3 where they take insane damage if you tag them then I'd be okay with that too. I hate Assists, I hate the Get ouf of Jail nonsense and free 50/50 mixup they give you.

I lost my train of thought...

I like Band, sticking with him, he can do pretty much everything and he can Parry. I feel like Solo just gets rekd with Assists, in that it's hard to get in and it's hard to get them off of you. When a character like Parasoul jumps in and does her blockstring, what am I looking for to get her off of me? Should I just be push blocking? Should I treat every situation where they go in and I'm blocking like Urien's corner Aegis and I should be blocking low and looking for an overhead, block high, and then do what?

If they're playing runaway (Peacock on 1st) I feel like the only thing you can do as Band is try to jump in or walk in, maybe Parry, go for a MP or HP Punch if you got a read. Anything else I'm missing?

What other Assist would work to get in on defensive playstyles?

I don't really like any other character other then Band and Beowulf is a ways away (I love grapplers and Bella doesn't do anything for me) so who else would work?

El Sloth

Banned
Nice little video about Big Band's parry: http://youtu.be/bptNiftn3XY

Is it okay if I ask some scrub-questions? I guess I should ask on Skullheart but I'll ask here first.

SG is one of those games that I want to get into but just can't. I never liked Marvel or hyper-aggressive fighters or Animu games. Plus I hate long combos with a passion, I hate making one mistake and having to wait 20 seconds for the combo to end and then I can play again. I also hate Assists. If the game had MVC1-styled Assists where there's a limit to them, then I'd be okay, if the Assists were like MVC3 where they take insane damage if you tag them then I'd be okay with that too. I hate Assists, I hate the Get ouf of Jail nonsense and free 50/50 mixup they give you.

I lost my train of thought...

I like Band, sticking with him, he can do pretty much everything and he can Parry. I feel like Solo just gets rekd with Assists, in that it's hard to get in and it's hard to get them off of you. When a character like Parasoul jumps in and does her blockstring, what am I looking for to get her off of me? Should I just be push blocking? Should I treat every situation where they go in and I'm blocking like Urien's corner Aegis and I should be blocking low and looking for an overhead, block high, and then do what?

If they're playing runaway (Peacock on 1st) I feel like the only thing you can do as Band is try to jump in or walk in, maybe Parry, go for a MP or HP Punch if you got a read. Anything else I'm missing?

What other Assist would work to get in on defensive playstyles?

I don't really like any other character other then Band and Beowulf is a ways away (I love grapplers and Bella doesn't do anything for me) so who else would work?
Yeah, BB is going to get wrecked solo unless you can parry like a monster. He definitely needs assists. At least, in my opinion (and honestly my opinion should prob not be trusted in SG)

I know you said you don't like Bella, but her armored specials make good assists to get in on people sitting back and chucking projectiles since they move her forward. You probably also have access to a dirty DHC where you can do his invincible super to move him forward and then, when you're in range/before you hit the other person,DHC in Bella's grab super (which you can combo off of if you cancel the last hit into her devil horns).

You can try a projectile assist, like Parasoul's tear, Painwheel's spike thing, Peacocks HP, one of her bombs or one of her tracking item drops. Double's butt slam might not be a bad choice? It's definitely good for lockdown once you get in. There's also Fukua's drill and Squigly's dragon bite thing that move them forward and great for lockdown, but again not sure how good those would be for closing the distance.

You should also be trying to do his hk Giant Step when you see find a gap in Peacocks projectile patterns.

Sorry I can't be of much help since my Big Band is pretty butt.

So hows Eliza coming along? She is gonna come out soon from what I remember reading, right?

I honestly should get used to visiting the community threads....

Top Bottom