• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

We're supposed to be getting more than just the 3 extra colors.

I already play Double. Solo Double is ass though, so I need someone else.

Which is why I recommended Filia and Fortune because they're great beginner characters that you can use fairly effectively without much hassle ^^;

Zero ten second combos spotted thus far, let alone twenty second ones.

WELP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig05hvB9QM

Don't worry though, Pali's the only one going to be using them.

must be team size select, oh well

uhh, no, don't upload that >_>
Don't worry about. I'll wait till we get better matches. I've just been wanting to record footage with people besides Disco is all. Hopefully you'll eventually show me the stuff that you got you to top 300.
WELP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig05hvB9QM

Don't worry though, Pali's the only one going to be using them.
Of course it would be Pali lol. These guys are the 1% of the Skullgirls community.

Anyone up for some games against my mediocre Cerebella?

Ah, if I had seen this earlier.

Don't worry about. I'll wait till we get better matches. I've just been wanting to record footage with people besides Disco is all. Hopefully you'll eventually show me the stuff that you got you to top 300.

Of course it would be Pali lol. These guys are the 1% of the Skullgirls community.

Haha, Solo Double is what put me in that spot, lol.

But yea, I'll put some work in when November is over, or maybe a little before if I decide to completely give up on Nano.

Ravidrath

...Man, I had almost forgotten that having an all-girl cast is bad to a lot of people on GAF, and that everyone thinks they know about art.

Then that other thread happened and reminded me!

...Man, I had almost forgotten that having an all-girl cast is bad to a lot of people on GAF, and that everyone thinks they know about art.

Then that other thread happened and reminded me!
Having a cast is bad if Capcom, Namco or Netherrealm are not involved with your product. Don't let it bother you. We all want dicks for DLC, but some folks are beyond the reach of males or good game design.

Fake edit:

God... I've become the biggest debbie downer since this Summer started. It has to be the avatar. I need a new perspective.

NEO0MJ

Well, I think most of them were being kinda honest about the fact that having an all girl cast does hurt the game's image, like it or not. Though like Solar said, a lot of people are just hard to impress with a new cast. Now the guys talking about how bad the art-style is, those guys are just insane.

God... I've become the biggest debbie downer since this Summer started. It has to be the avatar. I need a new perspective.

I miss smiling Hsien Ko.

I miss smiling Hsien Ko.
I miss those avatars a bit too. I just like the source material for this avatar the most.

Wanna play on PSN? I want to fight all the different posters that come in here. Platinum and Disco are basically the only people I've fought so far.

NEO0MJ

I miss those avatars a bit too. I just like the source material for this avatar the most.

Wanna play on PSN? I want to fight all the different posters that come in here. Platinum and Disco are basically the only people I've fought so far.

Wish I could, but the PS3 is preoccupied right now and I'm worried about the connection considering our different locations.

Wish I could, but the PS3 is preoccupied right now and I'm worried about the connection considering our different locations.

You shouldn't be worried in the slightest really. The netcode for this game was improved dramatically thanks to the patch, I often find people with 150+ ping that I can now play with little to no change from someone Im playing with a ping in the 60s. It's fantastic.

PS3 finally ordered. Soon I will have SG on both consoles! And a delicious patch.

Awesome!

NEO0MJ

You shouldn't be worried in the slightest really. The netcode for this game was improved dramatically thanks to the patch, I often find people with 150+ ping that I can now play with little to no change from someone Im playing with a ping in the 60s. It's fantastic.

After playing with, I have to agree. It's pretty playable. Gonna train again at this game. I kid you not, this is the first time I touched the game in several months. All I did before fighting you was redoing the tutorials.

Dachande

Planning on playing this again with my mate and taking a break from Tekken when the 360 patch is out... hopefully won't be long!

I'm gonna have some night terrors tonight. If you ever see someone good pick Painwheel then turn tail and run.

Ha, talking about the Skullbat today right? Im kicking myself for not being able to make it but was house sitting and didn't have my PS3 on me. Knowing my luck next week is the week where Guitalex and Pali will show up as well, sighh~

Ha, talking about the Skullbat today right? Im kicking myself for not being able to make it but was house sitting and didn't have my PS3 on me. Knowing my luck next week is the week where Guitalex and Pali will show up as well, sighh~
Yeah, that shit was retarded. I literally had to fight four Painwheels in a row. Some of them used Double too... ugh. I can't stand Double, Ms.Fortune and Painwheel. Filia is all over me whenever I play with someone good, bu she doesn't get to me like these characters. It also helps that she doesn't combo me forever. I understand Alstein's gripes with the combos a little more now that good players are coming back to the game. It makes me want those three as far away from me as possible.

On a lighter note... I had some fantastic matches yesterday and today with Sosuke and Worldjem from SRK(iirc). They were totally upload worthy, but I don't have much space in this laptop. I need my new PC working now so I can start recording whenever I feel like it...

Edit: Don't be afraid to play against yellow and red pings, guys. It works totally well. Just try not to be that guy who downloads(or watches) crap in the middle of a session and the netcode/delay shines through.

Problem solved:
P5Gnl.png

GGs again Solar.

It's interesting because I really felt like you'd more or less learned how to deal with Filia's rushdown. You weren't falling for double overheads for the most part and you blocked the majority of my pressure strings that I threw out with the character. You're really decent at blocking her pressure but I still think you'd benefit from throwing out more Napalm Pillars to ultimately put an end to my airdash pressure all together. You're good at not cracking under pressure but ideally you shouldn't be dealing with unrelenting pressure with a character like Parasoul to begin with.

Peacock was another story. It's difficult dealing with a team setup in such a way that she has assists to throw out at both mid-long range (Double / Cerebella Lock N Load) and close range (Filia) as well. Especially in the Peacock v. Peacock matchup where the majority of it is determined by whether or not you can throw out more projectiles than your opponent having something to throw out while zoning was more or less the deciding factor in our matches. I'm reminded when I was trying to play my Peacock against Ciscokid's pre-patch Peacock/Double(HK Bomber). Prepatch he could throw out Hornet Bomber at any range and make use of its invincibility and lockdown at any point. My MK Bomber couldn't compete. Likewise in your case you don't really have any answer in this matchup to deal with something that can keep you back at Mid Range. You're forced in this case to try to approach and deal with me up close.

Problem solved:
P5Gnl.png

Lol'd

Problem solved:
P5Gnl.png
I dunno why I didn't think of this sooner. :p

Thanks
GGs again Solar.

It's interesting because I really felt like you'd more or less learned how to deal with Filia's rushdown. You weren't falling for double overheads for the most part and you blocked the majority of my pressure strings that I threw out with the character. You're really decent at blocking her pressure but I still think you'd benefit from throwing out more Napalm Pillars to ultimately put an end to my airdash pressure all together. You're good at not cracking under pressure but ideally you shouldn't be dealing with unrelenting pressure with a character like Parasoul to begin with.

Peacock was another story. It's difficult dealing with a team setup in such a way that she has assists to throw out at both mid-long range (Double / Cerebella Lock N Load) and close range (Filia) as well. Especially in the Peacock v. Peacock matchup where the majority of it is determined by whether or not you can throw out more projectiles than your opponent having something to throw out while zoning was more or less the deciding factor in our matches. I'm reminded when I was trying to play my Peacock against Ciscokid's pre-patch Peacock/Double(HK Bomber). Prepatch he could throw out Hornet Bomber at any range and make use of its invincibility and lockdown at any point. My MK Bomber couldn't compete. Likewise in your case you don't really have any answer in this matchup to deal with something that can keep you back at Mid Range. You're forced in this case to try to approach and deal with me up close.

Lol'd
I felt humiliated after those games.

utterly humiliated

So the hidden pushblocking mechanic in Skullgirls has been revealed ... Absolute Guarding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc4VyjZBaQ

Basically you can block one of two ways, you can crouch block or you can stand block. The way this works is you activate the pushblock while you're in your standing or crouching block stance then you switch to the stance you weren't using to gain the absolute guard attribute for the duration of your pushblock. So if I am stand blocking and activate pushblock, I then move to the crouch block stance and hold it at that point. During the duration of pushblock this gives me the ability to block both highs and lows regardless of my stance. Definitely an interesting way to deal with pressure assists and something I'm pretty excited to incorporate into my game.

Roubjon

So the hidden pushblocking mechanic in Skullgirls has been revealed ... Absolute Guarding!

Basically you can block one of two ways, you can crouch block or you can stand block. The way this works is you activate the pushblock while you're in your standing or crouching block stance then you switch to the stance you weren't using to gain the absolute guard attribute for the duration of your pushblock. So if I am stand blocking and activate pushblock, I then move to the crouch block stance and hold it at that point. During the duration of pushblock this gives me the ability to block both highs and lows regardless of my stance. Definitely an interesting way to deal with pressure assists and something I'm pretty excited to incorporate into my game.

Was this seriously just discovered? This is awesome, but isn't it a little broken? It makes overhead mix-ups and stuff like that much less effective if your opponent knows what they're doing. That's a pretty big if though, lol.

Was this seriously just discovered? This is awesome, but isn't it a little broken? It makes overhead mix-ups and stuff like that much less effective if your opponent knows what they're doing. That's a pretty big if though, lol.

Yeah MikeZ was hinting at a change to pushblocking beyond the addition of pushblock guard cancel and I suppose this is what he had in mind, it was really just discovered :p

This really only effects overhead mixups when backed with pressure assists like Cerebella Cerecopter or Double Hornet bomber. In any other case pushblocking your opponents first or second move would just move them out of the range of their overhead to begin with. There's still nothing stopping your opponent from beginning a string with an overhead right away which wouldn't give a person the chance to pushblock to begin with. It's also worth noting that the absolute guard aspect only lasts for the duration of the pushblock itself, so about half a second.

Edit : GGs Solar
You were most successful with your play when you were able to initiate your Parasoul pressure or Peacock zoning but I feel like you're not really converting into a lot of damage off of your hits with Parasoul. As an example you were doing a fair amount of j.LP -> j.LK and while able to combo on an opponent if you tag them while they're on the ground its a lot more difficult to do so from the air. The better option in most cases is j.LP -> j.HP as it gives you the ability to easily combo airborne and grounded opponents equally. Gotta be careful with the ranges of your link combos midscreen as well as they can be pretty dependent on that, its why I more often than not go into launcher combos with Parasoul. The launcher itself gives you a better range of mixup options as well

Parasoul Mixup tree :
crHP jLP jLK jMP -> Cross Under -> Overhead / Low / Throw
crHP jLP jLK jMP -> Air Throw -> Blah

crHP jLK downMK jLP downMK -> back jMK

I uploaded a new video for anyone who is looking for Skullgirls matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Rsf3kJhks

Skyking is an SRK regular iirc. Dealing with his Painwheel is about as fun as wrestling with wolverines, but recording myself and watching for mistakes makes me a better player in the end. Things heat up in the later videos when he switches to a team setup and I can compete much better. Still looking forward to getting some matches from Worldjem and Sosuke down the road as well.

Random note:
I wished MS would stop being lazy bums. Their certification process is holding back the DLC colors and I want my FLCL Valentine already...

Looks crazy, but learning it might prove useful for me. -_-
Edit : GGs Solar
You were most successful with your play when you were able to initiate your Parasoul pressure or Peacock zoning but I feel like you're not really converting into a lot of damage off of your hits with Parasoul. As an example you were doing a fair amount of j.LP -> j.LK and while able to combo on an opponent if you tag them while they're on the ground its a lot more difficult to do so from the air. The better option in most cases is j.LP -> j.HP as it gives you the ability to easily combo airborne and grounded opponents equally. Gotta be careful with the ranges of your link combos midscreen as well as they can be pretty dependent on that, its why I more often than not go into launcher combos with Parasoul. The launcher itself gives you a better range of mixup options as well

Parasoul Mixup tree :
crHP jLP jLK jMP -> Cross Under -> Overhead / Low / Throw
crHP jLP jLK jMP -> Air Throw -> Blah

crHP jLK downMK jLP downMK -> back jMK
I felt like my biggest problems were capitalizing off air combos. Connecting the st.LP or st.LK when my opponents hit the ground was the biggest problem. I think I improved a bit on making sure I confirm into a full combo using air LP and LK if you see my upcoming videos.

Edit: My avatar has officially taken the OT by storm... :(

I uploaded a new video for anyone who is looking for Skullgirls matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Rsf3kJhks

Skyking is an SRK regular iirc. Dealing with his Painwheel is about as fun as wrestling with wolverines, but recording myself and watching for mistakes makes me a better player in the end. Things heat up in the later videos when he switches to a team setup and I can compete much better. Still looking forward to getting some matches from Worldjem and Sosuke down the road as well.

Random note:
I wished MS would stop being lazy bums. Their certification process is holding back the DLC colors and I want my FLCL Valentine already...

Looks crazy, but learning it might prove useful for me. -_-

I felt like my biggest problems were capitalizing off air combos. Connecting the st.LP or st.LK when my opponents hit the ground was the biggest problem. I think I improved a bit on making sure I confirm into a full combo using air LP and LK if you see my upcoming videos.

Edit: My avatar has officially taken the OT by storm... :(

Agreed wholeheartedly on the DLC situation, stupid Microsoft keeping me back from Scanty Filia. D:

Watching the Skyking matches right now and there's no doubt he's a really decent Painwheel but I feel like maybe you're giving him a bit more respect than you need to? It's interesting because you maintained a lot more space in the Parasoul v. Painwheel parts than you did with Peacock v. Painwheel.

Random notes~
if a painwheel does jHP in a combo(the normal with super armor on it that pushes her forward) and doesnt cancel it into anything then they're most certainly going for an air throw.

Not a lot of teleporting with Peacock out of the corner, a lot of times its safer to simply teleport out of the corner against an aerial Painwheel than it is to get into their air space when they already have you cornered.

Also ... in this matchup I'd probably be more comfortable with Peacock / Parasoul rather than Parasoul / Peacock. The Napalm Pillar assist is going to be helping you far more than the item drop assist will and I think even in the situations where you had Peacock on point with Parasoul assist still alive you didn't really take advantage of everything the assist could offer you.

0:10 ~ 0:30 a lot of aimless jumping with Parasoul that isn't really accomplishing much I find.

0:43. Okay you switch to Peacock, great ... and then you start jumping at a range where she's not necessarily effective against you yet. You're not getting any significant amount of space by backdashing backwards or anything, you're just jumping back. This is the point of the match where you need to be either throwing out projectiles (air george), meeting her in the air with your air to air normals (jMP/jHP), or if you're uncomfortable just airdashing backwards to grab more space. Jumping backwards doesn't really accomplish much other than limiting what projectiles you can throw out to keep her back ... or use Napalm Pillar assist.

1:28 : Beginning of the match you jump backwards over and over and immediately corner yourself. Definitely want to avoid that. Parasoul and Painwheel can cope with a Painwheel that doesn't have assists backing her, there's no reason to be having an in flight Painwheel push you into the corner when you have the tools you have available.

2:10 Another DHC into Peacock, and another primed item drop. Great. But again I feel like the way you react to Painwheel immediately going forward is incorrect. Look, you're not denying Painwheel the air space where she's most comfortable. If you prime an item drop that means she is FORCED to move forward or otherwise be knocked out of flight, this is where you can take advantage of this by air throwing her or hitting her with j.MP.

Air Throw, Air Throw, Air Throw. Really. You don't do it evverrrrrrr.

Finally have the PS3. And Skullgirls. Just waiting for my optical->RCA audio converter to hopefully come in by next week so I can have audio...

New tutorials are amazing too, btw.

Ravidrath

Finally have the PS3. And Skullgirls. Just waiting for my optical->RCA audio converter to hopefully come in by next week so I can have audio...

New tutorials are amazing too, btw.

You... don't have HDMI?

And glad to hear about the tutorials!

Do you find the character tutorials useful? Mike didn't think they would be, but Sony said they felt it would help make the game a lot more accessible to people.

Would anyone like to play some matches with me? I'll be on for about an hour or so.

Hey yeah, sure. If you're still around my PSN is DiscoShark, send me an invite.

Edit : Character tutorials were a neat little thing and I liked how the things encouraged you to use different moves against the dummy in different situations, just to familiarize the person with its properties. Hard to say whether they were useful for people who had never stopped playing the game though but they were neat at least.

Hey yeah, sure. If you're still around my PSN is DiscoShark, send me an invite.

Great, although I don't even know if you're still on. I sent you an invite, so just hop on whenever.

Edit: GGs, DiscoShark. Thanks for waiting for me, and for the invite. Sorry for the lackluster matches, though. I haven't actually practiced any new combos or loops since the patch hit; I've just been coasting on what I knew beforehand for the past week or so. It was nice to play someone who knew what they were doing, and I'll try to use some of the stuff you used on me tonight.

You wouldn't mind sharing any other thoughts you had about our set, would you?

You... don't have HDMI?

And glad to hear about the tutorials!

Do you find the character tutorials useful? Mike didn't think they would be, but Sony said they felt it would help make the game a lot more accessible to people.

I have HDMI... but in my case it goes into a monitor, which lacks speakers.

The character tutorials are... I don't think that they're bad, but I don't think they're going to do a great job of conveying to a new player how this or that character really works, outside of 'how to do move XYZ'. They're technically informative(just in wordiness) to the point where I wonder if the game should have some sort of glossary, even if the material is just matter-of-fact descriptions of how the moves work. I personally enjoyed seeing all the info there, but wonder if the details would really sink in.

I think you should probably take a lengthier, more hands-on approach to showing a player the ins/outs of a given character's moves like you did with the other system elements. Not so far as to touch on the meta, but for example you should demonstrate stuff like... movement and basic techniques for movement depending on the character, normals and applications for them, gatlings(there's probably a better term for this), situations where special/super moves are most useful or have a unique benefit/drawback, and so on.

I realize that's pretty much like saying "quadruple the size of tutorial mode, twice" though. There is also some risk of redundancy, because you do cover some of the above material at times for some characters.

Edit: GGs, DiscoShark. Thanks for waiting for me, and for the invite. Sorry for the lackluster matches, though. I haven't actually practiced any new combos or loops since the patch hit; I've just been coasting on what I knew beforehand for the past week or so. It was nice to play someone who knew what they were doing, and I'll try to use some of the stuff you used on me tonight.

You wouldn't mind sharing any other thoughts you had about our set, would you?

Not at all, I mentioned before that one of your bigger problems is damage output. Should be pretty self explanatory and once you're able to do some quick and easy combos that shouldn't be an issue.

Painwheel :

Your mentality is the correct one to be having here. This character is the mixup queen. Painwheel has a VERY strong mixup game and it is unique in the sense that she can throw them in at literally any part of her combos thanks to her fly cancelling.

Don't be afraid to fly with her either, I found that you tended to focus more on dash jumps or regular jumps to get the brunt of your offensive going but the fly game is not something to be ignored. Even if you initiate your offensive with a normal jump don't forget the ability to fly cancel and continue an air based offensive with jMP and jMK.

Air Throw. I say it a lot when it comes to combatting Painwheel but there's no doubt in my mind that Painwheel herself is a character that can really dominate with air throws. The reason being of course is that she's a character that's going to be spending the majority of the match in the air to begin with. Couple this with the absolutely huge range on it when flying forward and it is a tool no Painwheel wants to be without. Use it, abuse it, and make your opponent fear it up close.

Filia :

Go crazy. No really. Just literally do as much as you can to stay on your opponent the entire time. The key to rushing down with this character is sticking to the light attacks while on the ground (for hit confirm purposes or to be able to transition right back into an airdash offensive) and to use multihitting air moves (j.MP/j.MK) on an opponent that tries to jump out (more difficult for them to pushblock you back). j.LK is a nice move to use in conjunction with airdashes as it is very quick, crosses up, and has a tendency of knocking out people taking to the air as well. From there you can transition to a double overhead with jHK or continue on with whatever you want.

~~~

Friendly reminder, tomorrows Skullbat (online Skullgirls tournament, PS3) is going to be featuring MikeZ himself! Definitely try to join!
More information here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/skullbats-9-sat-dec-1st-2012.159942/

Time: Saturday, December 1st 2012, 7:00 pm EDT, 6 central, 4 PST, etc. You may enter anytime up till 20 minutes before the matches start.

Getting quite frustrated, I've tried to download the patch 4 times now (a process which takes over 3 hours) and end up with the 80710723 error every single time. No problems when downloading anything else (including the much bigger DmC demo). I really want to play Skullgirls again and I can't. I've deleted it to try redownloading but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Getting quite frustrated, I've tried to download the patch 4 times now (a process which takes over 3 hours) and end up with the 80710723 error every single time. No problems when downloading anything else (including the much bigger DmC demo). I really want to play Skullgirls again and I can't. I've deleted it to try redownloading but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Try Google next time.

Copy and pasted from one of the first results. If this doesn't work, there were other suggestions.

DevilDoneGood said:
A PS3 Error 80710723 signifies a network/router error. Try going to SETTINGS > NETWORK SETTINGS > INERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS > (if wired, choose path 1. if wireless, choose path 2.)

1. WIRED CONNECTION > CUSTOM > MANUAL SETTINGS > AUTO DETECT > AUTOMATIC > DO NOT SET > MANUAL ( DNS1 : 208.67.222.222 , DNS2 : 208.67.220.220 ) > AUTO > DO NOT USE > ENABLE > X > X

2. WIRELESS > ENTER MANUALLY > ( ENTER SSID OR CONTINUE ) > ( CHOOSE SECURITY OR CONTINUE ) > CUSTOM > AUTO > DO NOT SET > MANUAL ( DNS1 : 208.67.222.222 , DNS2 : 208.67.220.220 ) > AUTO > DO NOT USE > ENABLE > X > X

Sigh, did all the suggested stuff here and online and it's not working. It's only with Skullgirls patching away too. I deleted and redownloaded it fine, I can update other games but when I try it with Skullgirls it just errors when it nears the end.

Ravidrath

Sigh, did all the suggested stuff here and online and it's not working. It's only with Skullgirls patching away too. I deleted and redownloaded it fine, I can update other games but when I try it with Skullgirls it just errors when it nears the end.

Strange, never heard of anything like this - wish I could do something to help.

Maybe all the patches are on different servers, and for whatever reason your ISP is choking on the connection to that specific server? Is there a friend's place you could take your PS3 to and try to update from there?

Strange, never heard of anything like this - wish I could do something to help.

Maybe all the patches are on different servers, and for whatever reason your ISP is choking on the connection to that specific server? Is there a friend's place you could take your PS3 to and try to update from there?

Sadly not. It's a bloody weird problem so thanks for even replying! I'll just keep trying I guess. My next port of call will be phoning customer service I think. It's a shame because I genuinely love the game and it's unique way of combing fighting game archetypes to give clever characters, and as a UK player was looking forward to the patch to get some wider online play.

Do you know of any other UK guys who play this game, Spanky? It just occurred to me that I can't name a single UK gaffer who plays the game so I kinda worry that it may be a bigger problem than it appears. I hope this is just a localized issue. Sounds like something only you are experiencing right now.
Agreed wholeheartedly on the DLC situation, stupid Microsoft keeping me back from Scanty Filia. D:

Watching the Skyking matches right now and there's no doubt he's a really decent Painwheel but I feel like maybe you're giving him a bit more respect than you need to? It's interesting because you maintained a lot more space in the Parasoul v. Painwheel parts than you did with Peacock v. Painwheel.

Random notes~
if a painwheel does jHP in a combo(the normal with super armor on it that pushes her forward) and doesnt cancel it into anything then they're most certainly going for an air throw.

Not a lot of teleporting with Peacock out of the corner, a lot of times its safer to simply teleport out of the corner against an aerial Painwheel than it is to get into their air space when they already have you cornered.

Also ... in this matchup I'd probably be more comfortable with Peacock / Parasoul rather than Parasoul / Peacock. The Napalm Pillar assist is going to be helping you far more than the item drop assist will and I think even in the situations where you had Peacock on point with Parasoul assist still alive you didn't really take advantage of everything the assist could offer you.

0:10 ~ 0:30 a lot of aimless jumping with Parasoul that isn't really accomplishing much I find.

0:43. Okay you switch to Peacock, great ... and then you start jumping at a range where she's not necessarily effective against you yet. You're not getting any significant amount of space by backdashing backwards or anything, you're just jumping back. This is the point of the match where you need to be either throwing out projectiles (air george), meeting her in the air with your air to air normals (jMP/jHP), or if you're uncomfortable just airdashing backwards to grab more space. Jumping backwards doesn't really accomplish much other than limiting what projectiles you can throw out to keep her back ... or use Napalm Pillar assist.

1:28 : Beginning of the match you jump backwards over and over and immediately corner yourself. Definitely want to avoid that. Parasoul and Painwheel can cope with a Painwheel that doesn't have assists backing her, there's no reason to be having an in flight Painwheel push you into the corner when you have the tools you have available.

2:10 Another DHC into Peacock, and another primed item drop. Great. But again I feel like the way you react to Painwheel immediately going forward is incorrect. Look, you're not denying Painwheel the air space where she's most comfortable. If you prime an item drop that means she is FORCED to move forward or otherwise be knocked out of flight, this is where you can take advantage of this by air throwing her or hitting her with j.MP.

Air Throw, Air Throw, Air Throw. Really. You don't do it evverrrrrrr.
Painwheel scares me. She scares me more than MvC3 Magneto, MvC2 Cable, Sasquatch or even Talbain. I'm taking everything you are saying to heart, but I kinda fall apart when she appears. It's like Mike Z secretly video tapes me at night while I bitch about stupid overhead left right fly mixups, armored light punches, insane air grab range and salt fueled install supers. <_<

It'll take time, but I'll air tech and move forward more. It doesn't help that peacock doesn't have many surefire ways to capitalize off an air throw(yeah, I know about heavy impending doom).

Do you know of any other UK guys who play this game, Spanky? It just occurred to me that I can't name a single UK gaffer who plays the game so I kinda worry that it may be a bigger problem than it appears. I hope this is just a localized issue. Sounds like something only you are experiencing right now.

It probably is, which is why I'm trying to avoid the obligatory GAF tantrum. But I know no UKers, and all my frinds play fighting games very casually (i.e. drunk SFIV and Mortal Kombat) so asking them to learn something new isn't really in. It's a shame. The game is a good product.

Ravidrath

It probably is, which is why I'm trying to avoid the obligatory GAF tantrum. But I know no UKers, and all my frinds play fighting games very casually (i.e. drunk SFIV and Mortal Kombat) so asking them to learn something new isn't really in. It's a shame. The game is a good product.

I haven't seen any UK folk in the SRK thread complain about this, so I think it's just you, unfortunately.

Ravidrath

Any date on the 360 patch?

No news to report on that yet, unfortunately - we are pestering Microsoft about it multiple times a week to try and speed things up.

They know that it's out on PS3 and that we're holding PS3 DLC until it's out on 360, at their request, so hopefully we'll hear something this week.

No news to report on that yet, unfortunately - we are pestering Microsoft about it multiple times a week to try and speed things up.

They know that it's out on PS3 and that we're holding PS3 DLC until it's out on 360, at their request, so hopefully we'll hear something this week.

Motherfucking consoles. The bastards are holding up the patch, and the DLC on the other console?

Such bull

Woo! Won the Skullbat! Barely taking out Pali in the finals match. It was a brutal and hard fought win that went down to the final round in a 3/5 set. It's worth noting that overall he beat me in more individual rounds than I beat him. He got me 2-0 during the course of the Ranbat itself and I only barely skirted a win in the final tie breaker match 3-2. Went down to the very last round. I also beat MikeZ and won one whole e-nickel. I want to see more gaffers join next weeks Ranbat though! Expect it next Saturday!

Now to prepare for tomorrows Vambat ...

Edit :

Motherfucking consoles. The bastards are holding up the patch, and the DLC on the other console?

Such bull

Yeah serious, going over all the hurdles these guys have had to go through to get the game out and continue to support it has been a serious eye opener. Makes me really wish fighting game companies would take the PC more seriously and start transitioning to that platform in earnest. Half hearted efforts like the still patchless PC version of AE from Capcom and absolutely nothing on the PC front from Namco only serve to hurt themselves I think. I'll definitely be out to grab the PC version of Skullgirls when I can.

... also I want my Filia colors! Stupid Microsoft! D:

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah serious, going over all the hurdles these guys have had to go through to get the game out and continue to support it has been a serious eye opener. Makes me really wish fighting game companies would take the PC more seriously and start transitioning to that platform in earnest. Half hearted efforts like the still patchless PC version of AE from Capcom and absolutely nothing on the PC front from Namco only serve to hurt themselves I think. I'll definitely be out to grab the PC version of Skullgirls when I can.

... also I want my Filia colors! Stupid Microsoft! D:

Absolutely. Steam also makes them easier to market on PC more than ever as well. Even for non fighting games, if something like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 or the next DBZ game were on PC, that would rake in a huge amount of sales and give more anime games to create communities with.

Ravidrath

Oh, so Mike wanted me to pass this on...

It looks like DiscoShark knows a lot about it already, but just in case...

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/skullbats-9-sat-dec-1st-2012.159942/

This is for SkullBats, the online tournament - Mike says it's really cool, especially now that online works so well worldwide, and there's no waiting, etc.

His hope is to get the word about this out so that more and more people join in.

Regarding the MS stuff...

My sincere hope is that they will improve for the next generation of hardware, and I've heard rumors that their policies will be a lot more flexible next time around. I'm certain they're very much aware of Steam and developers' preference for it, and they must know that it would be a huge mistake not to change their strategy for this the next time around.

My feeling is that they're stuck in a 2005, pre-App Store mentality, and it's logistically difficult to change course mid-generation because of some of the early decisions they made.

Also, like many others, the difficulty with patches is a direct result of their decision to make a 360 SKU without a harddrive. If the next system has one in every system, then hopefully this patch stuff will be a thing of the past.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Oh, so Mike wanted me to pass this on...

It looks like DiscoShark knows a lot about it already, but just in case...

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/skullbats-9-sat-dec-1st-2012.159942/

This is for SkullBats, the online tournament - Mike says it's really cool, especially now that online works so well worldwide, and there's no waiting, etc.

His hope is to get the word about this out so that more and more people join in.

Regarding the MS stuff...

My sincere hope is that they will improve for the next generation of hardware, and I've heard rumors that their policies will be a lot more flexible next time around. I'm certain they're very much aware of Steam and developers' preference for it, and they must know that it would be a huge mistake not to change their strategy for this the next time around.

My feeling is that they're stuck in a 2005, pre-App Store mentality, and it's logistically difficult to change course mid-generation because of some of the early decisions they made.

Also, like many others, the difficulty with patches is a direct result of their decision to make a 360 SKU without a harddrive. If the next system has one in every system, then hopefully this patch stuff will be a thing of the past.

Seeing how much more dev friendly every other option in the market is, Im sure theyll change their strategy ... but in the usual Microsoft way, theyll fuck something up in the meantime too.

But yeah, it would have been crazy for them to change all those policies midway through the console cycle. Costs alone would be prohibitive.

Top Bottom