• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

alstein

Crossplay probably just isn't realistically attainable this generation, because the possible matchmaking solutions aren't good now.

We were hoping we could go with Steam, but PS3 Steam isn't an approved middleware by Sony, and likely never will be.

If we went with something like Gamespy, there'd be a ton of hassle in getting everyone set up to play online because no one has Gamespy friend lists.

If you can't get crossplay- my one sugestion would be to make Skullgirls as moddable as you can make it.

If folks could create their own characters and make their own games on your engine- you'll guarantee about 10 years of sales. Imagine the next Melty or Arcana being made on your engine. Worst case you guys would become a much better MUGEN.

Skullgirls isn't going to move the FGC towards PC's, just the Skullgirls comm, which is more likely to play dojin fighters like Vanguard Princess/Melty on PC's anyways.

The SG community is a part of the FGC, so if they started playing the game on PC's consistently, as the standard instead of consoles, I would consider that the FGC moving towards PC's.

It's not that they don't know how to do it. Mike Z very clearly explained it once. I just can't recall if it was on SRK or on a stream. If you are curious you can log on to SRK and ask him. He would probably be more than happy to answer your question.

Guy is a smart dev.

In my head I recall Mike's voice saying "And even if it is possible, it's not something we currently know how to do" or something like that, while also heavily implying that it's not a priority because it wouldn't be easy to implement. Whether I read a post in his voice or it's something from a stream, I can't say, but that wasn't really my main point. I was just pointing out that it's been mentioned before, and isn't likely to happen anytime in the near future.

Ravidrath

We know how to do it, it's just that the ways to do it aren't very good right or logistically possible right now.

If we ever get to Skullgirls 2, I think we'd try to make this a priority and try to have our own servers or something so as many platforms as possible could play against each other.

shaowebb

We know how to do it, it's just that the ways to do it aren't very good right or logistically possible right now.

If we ever get to Skullgirls 2, I think we'd try to make this a priority and try to have our own servers or something so as many platforms as possible could play against each other.

You'll have my support no matter what. And geez now I can't stop thinking of you guys going "licensed engine developers" to make money. I can only imagine the stuff possible on your engine with its lighting system and with its IPS in place. C++ plugin moddable and oh so proven to be good.

I'd buy a license. Just saying.

Ravidrath

You'll have my support no matter what. And geez now I can't stop thinking of you guys going "licensed engine developers" to make money. I can only imagine the stuff possible on your engine with its lighting system and with its IPS in place. C++ plugin moddable and oh so proven to be good.

I'd buy a license. Just saying.

We'd have to actually take the time to document stuff to make use of it, though. :p

Also, most licensed engines have real tools with GUIs, etc. Our biggest design tool is Notepad, pretty much.

shaowebb

We'd have to actually take the time to document stuff to make use of it, though. :p

Also, most licensed engines have real tools with GUIs, etc. Our biggest design tool is Notepad, pretty much.

Pure code with no UI? Ouch, yeah thats pretty much not marketable as a licenseable engine. Has Mike thought of going this route to drum up funds for Reverge before? I have no idea how much work it'd be to make a GUI so folks could just click and utilize function shortcuts within your engine to generate code they need instead of having to go into notepad and script it out for themselves, but probably a lot.

Like always all I can do is sit and try to imagine ways for your studio to pull in funds through one route or another. I really wish someone would pick you up to handle their properties. I was really hoping for Konami, Disney, or Warner Bros to grab you from the patterns they had been showing but now both Disney and WB have cooled on acquisitions and Konami hasn't said or done much to give me any idea what their odds are like.

Someday I really want you guys to get the backing you deserve. This product is amazingly tight and does what so many big studio games should be. Greatest thing would be if Disney picked you up and you ended up with the Marvel license that inspired so much of your studio's product. Full marvel cast done by Reverge funded by Disney themselves? God yes.

alstein

Some fans would figure it out- a customizable, great engine with GGPO is enough incentive for folks who want to make their own dream fighter is a huge carrot.

Personally, what I'd love to see Reverge do next- is go after a spiritual successor to the Samurai Shodown games, that's an area not even SNK wants to touch anymore, and it would be something truly unique in today's marketplace.

Maybe something involving Confederate Magical Girls with Samurai weapons. (yes silly dream project of mine that I have made designs for)

Ravidrath

I'm out of town for the holidays and away from my PS3... can someone try getting the patch at midnight PST and confirming that it's downloading?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pure code with no UI? Ouch, yeah thats pretty much not marketable as a licenseable engine. Has Mike thought of going this route to drum up funds for Reverge before? I have no idea how much work it'd be to make a GUI so folks could just click and utilize function shortcuts within your engine to generate code they need instead of having to go into notepad and script it out for themselves, but probably a lot.

Like always all I can do is sit and try to imagine ways for your studio to pull in funds through one route or another. I really wish someone would pick you up to handle their properties. I was really hoping for Konami, Disney, or Warner Bros to grab you from the patterns they had been showing but now both Disney and WB have cooled on acquisitions and Konami hasn't said or done much to give me any idea what their odds are like.

Someday I really want you guys to get the backing you deserve. This product is amazingly tight and does what so many big studio games should be. Greatest thing would be if Disney picked you up and you ended up with the Marvel license that inspired so much of your studio's product. Full marvel cast done by Reverge funded by Disney themselves? God yes.

I reeeeally dont know why youd like people doing their own original IP to say fuckallthat and go work on a license.. I mean, thats not nearly as rewarding as getting the world to become your fans because of your creation, not because of something borrowed.

Anyways, Ravi, get going on a WiiU port, that shit is RIPE for Miiverse. Do it.

The patch is live, yo.

http://skullgirls.com/2012/11/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes/

Curious about the new logo at the front of the game, and my avatar?

http://labzerogames.com/

I just saw all this on Facebook and damn does that explain a lot. I do appreciate all of you standing behind the game after a setback like that befell you all. I wish the whole team the best in the future. And at least it guarantees more Skullgirls action in the foreseeable future.

Ravidrath

I just saw all this on Facebook and damn does that explain a lot. I do appreciate all of you standing behind the game after a setback like that befell you all. I wish the whole team the best in the future. And at least it guarantees more Skullgirls action in the foreseeable future.

Thanks, man.

Now... has there ever been a time when a game changed devs after release like this? Because I certainly can't think of one.

Another first? Not that this is ground we had hoped to break...

alstein

You gotta be realistic on what can happen. Hearing the PC version is delayed indefinitely makes me sad, but understandable given what happened.

I just hope the Skullgirls team gets to make another game- they've shown they can deliver a good product.

I'd buy your girl scout cookies.

Airan

While I'm super glad the SG team are back on their feet, I don't understand the logic behind this by Reverge. Are they now essentially a non-functioning games development company? I thought Mike Z headed (or at least had some sway... I guess he was just the lead programmer?) Reverge too?

joe2187

Banned
I'm out of town for the holidays and away from my PS3... can someone try getting the patch at midnight PST and confirming that it's downloading?

Just DLed and trying out all it's changes, everything seems to be working in order

The patch is live, yo.

http://skullgirls.com/2012/11/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes/

sad to hear about that, but good luck for the future!

Ravidrath

While I'm super glad the SG team are back on their feet, I don't understand the logic behind this by Reverge. Are they now essentially a non-functioning games development company? I thought Mike Z headed (or at least had some sway... I guess he was just the lead programmer?) Reverge too?

I can't really speak to what Reverge is doing, since I haven't been there for nearly 6 months at this point.

But, no, Mike was just a programmer/designer there.

I wonder if the folks who blamed Mike or the team are even gonna bother to come in here and acknowledge they didn't know what was really going on behind the scenes.

I played a few games. The first two times I tried to play against Guitalex (high level SRK skullgirls player)randomly the PS3 froze on me and I thought joining unranked rooms was broken. I tried playing online by making my own room and someone with a 60ping joined. It ran smooth as butter and he was free. Next I played some Canadian with a ping of 100 and it was 30ms smooth again. It worked fine even though I joined his room like I tried with Guitalex. The training mode options are all there and the 3% speed increase was the right thing to do. Skullgirls runs faster now, the hitbox glitch is gone and lag really feels like a thing of the past. I tried to play with a Japanese player who had a ping of 199 to see how good it works, but he wasn't interested. The best thing ever is the fact that I barely changed the way I play. I never had long ass combos from the start so my opponents just ate reset after reset. Poor dudes probably logged on after ignoring the game for five months and had no idea what to expect lol.

Haven't had the chance to try ranked btw. My tier went from six to three after the update. Must be a change in the tiers of some sort to make matchmaking easier.

Dachande

Wow, that sucks. Good call on not saying anything until now though, you're right that people would've reacted badly and assumed the worst. Thank god Reverge didn't have the rights in this case! Why did they do that? Cold feet?

I hope you guys are now back on your feet and up to where you were and beyond, you deserve it.

Galdelico

Still unable to download the patch until tonight but... Damn about what happened to the team. :/

My biggest good luck with Lab Zero to you, Mike, Alex and everyone else. You all really deserve the greatest success.

Congrats on hanging on and coming this far. You guys have been an inspiration. :)

EDIT: hanging ON, not in. Derp.

Also I was serious about that business card thing!

My original plan was to go to sleep a bit earlier than usual and wake up around the time the patch hits, ended up just deciding to stay asleep ^^;

Just got in game and patched and am now running through the tutorial now, nice to see the ground tech and pushblock tutorials finally making their way in game as well as the updated UI to show how the motions are supposed to be executed. Playing through the various character tutorials as we speak.

Hey yeah, glad to see you guys are still looking on the upside (or maybe that's my blind optimism speaking), my support for the game has never diminished and I really hope you guys are able to get everything in order to continue to support this game. My wallet is forever waiting~

Steaks

So wait, is the Cerebella option select still there, but no more increased range on her DP throw?

:/

Those were the 2 gameplay changes I wanted more than anything as a Cerebella player.

So wait, is the Cerebella option select still there, but no more increased range on her DP throw?

:/

Those were the 2 gameplay changes I wanted more than anything as a Cerebella player.

Quoting from the patch notes.

"The Excellebella special attack received the following adjustments:
  • Slightly increased the horizontal and downward range
  • No longer super-cancellable after the initial 4 frames

So yeah, both those changes are in, the option select is gone and you do have increased range. Just tested the option select in game as well, its no longer in.

~~~

OH MY GOD DO I LOVE SAVE STATES. It's making learning certain combos off of DHCs SOOOOO much easier and you can gauge what your max damage variations are much more quickly in training mode.

This Lab Zero / Reverge situation is so weird. Does Reverge still own any right to the Skullgirls IP? It'd be yet another hoop for you guys to jump through to make any changes to the game.

What's next for Skullgirls? Do you guys at least have a funding source for the short term?

Steaks

This Lab Zero / Reverge situation is so weird. Does Reverge still own any right to the Skullgirls IP? It'd be yet another hoop for you guys to jump through to make any changes to the game.

What's next for Skullgirls? Do you guys at least have a funding source for the short term?

If Reverge owned the IP, there would be no way the SG team, which is no longer a part of Reverge, could work on the game.

Seems Autumn owns the rights, but freely lets the SG team work with them without question.

If Reverge owned the IP, there would be no way the SG team, which is no longer a part of Reverge, could work on the game.

Seems Autumn owns the rights, but freely lets the SG team work with them without question.
Multiple companies own parts of the Skullgirls IP. Konami still does, which I believe is one of the reasons why the patch had to be funneled through them and thus suffered some delay. If there's yet another roadblock then red tape could make further changes to the game take even longer.

alstein

It might just be easier to work on a new game.

I tried the game post-patch, and the reasons I never got into the same are still there- still too many 15-20 second combos, and still way too easy to get hit by them. It's just a philsophical thing with me I guess. I love everything else about the game, I just hate the gameplay.

I do think my arguments against the game are a big reason folks didn't stick with the game- it kinda creates a massive initial learning curve, and with so many fighters on the market, people just don't want to stick with a game if it means they're going to get hammered like that (and I'm not a terrible FG player in general, though I am terrible at anime games- I do ok at tournies and have even won a few locals in the games I'm serious about, so if I feel like this, others must feel even more hopeless) By comparison, Blazblue has the same combo problem, but I get hit by the big combos much less (unless I'm platying against one char who just jacks me up, or get cursed) The patch is real quality though, looks like a number of the gameplay complaints have been resolved the way I'd want them resolved.

Ultimately, I think you guys have to accept that a non-Capcom fighter is largely going to be a side game for many folks, and side games do have to be a bit simpler in design to attract and keep folks around.

You guys do rock and I will buy your next original game though on sight- you've earned my trust for all the good things you've done. If you're doing another fighter- I wish you'd look to old-school KOF, Sam Sho Special, or Real Bout games for inspiration next game.

Ravidrath

So is Mike Z is no longer with you?

Mike is still with us.

Multiple companies own parts of the Skullgirls IP. Konami still does, which I believe is one of the reasons why the patch had to be funneled through them and thus suffered some delay. If there's yet another roadblock then red tape could make further changes to the game take even longer.

Autumn is the exclusive owner of the Skullgirls IP - as long as they want us working on it, we will.

What an unfortunate development, but it's good that you guys are still making moves.

Feel bad for Alex though, not owning his IP. But I guess getting the game out might have been worth it over owning it and it never seeing the light of day.

shaowebb

Revergelabs had been laid off since June and they STILL pushed until they could put all this together? My respect levels just raised even more for this team.Dedicated to the product and the people that enjoy it to levels no one else with bills would dream of.

It might just be easier to work on a new game.

I tried the game post-patch, and the reasons I never got into the same are still there- still too many 15-20 second combos, and still way too easy to get hit by them. It's just a philsophical thing with me I guess. I love everything else about the game, I just hate the gameplay.

I do think my arguments against the game are a big reason folks didn't stick with the game- it kinda creates a massive initial learning curve, and with so many fighters on the market, people just don't want to stick with a game if it means they're going to get hammered like that (and I'm not a terrible FG player in general, though I am terrible at anime games- I do ok at tournies and have even won a few locals in the games I'm serious about, so if I feel like this, others must feel even more hopeless) By comparison, Blazblue has the same combo problem, but I get hit by the big combos much less (unless I'm platying against one char who just jacks me up, or get cursed) The patch is real quality though, looks like a number of the gameplay complaints have been resolved the way I'd want them resolved.

Ultimately, I think you guys have to accept that a non-Capcom fighter is largely going to be a side game for many folks, and side games do have to be a bit simpler in design to attract and keep folks around.

You guys do rock and I will buy your next original game though on sight- you've earned my trust for all the good things you've done. If you're doing another fighter- I wish you'd look to old-school KOF, Sam Sho Special, or Real Bout games for inspiration next game.
Who in the world are your training partners? Marlinpie? Severin? Did they do some sort of fusion dance?

If you are the one who can execute these combos then fight me every once in a while. Most of my combos top out at 25 normals max. You can toss me around like a toy and reset me all day if you like. Maybe introduce me and the thread to these combo Gods. It'd help with the activity. There is a tiny bit of sarcasm here.
Revergelabs had been laid off since June and they STILL pushed until they could put all this together? My respect levels just raised even more for this team.Dedicated to the product and the people that enjoy it to levels no one else with bills would dream of.
Them and IG personally funding a patch for 3S is pretty amazing. The little guys are the best. They are scrappy as fuck even if the masses are content with the fighting blockbusters.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, one of my fav' new teams after this.

alstein

Who in the world are your training partners? Marlinpie? Severin? Did they do some sort of fusion dance?

If you are the one who can execute these combos then fight me every once in a while. Most of my combos top out at 25 normals max. You can toss me around like a toy and reset me all day if you like. Maybe introduce me and the thread to these combo Gods. It'd help with the activity. There is a tiny bit of sarcasm here.

Them and IG personally funding a patch for 3S is pretty amazing. The little guys are the best. They are scrappy as fuck even if the masses are content with the fighting blockbusters.

No, I get hit by them. If I could do those combos, I'd be a legit threat at tournies.

You know I genuinely thought Double would be near useless against Peacock in her post-patch state but that Double car changes the matchup ENTIRELY. Being able to punish literally every move she does and threatening her at her most comfortable range is HUGE. I should probably trust in MikeZ's balancing more because Double is a ridiculous threat with meter now. I'm already having people attempt crossup cars into various DHCs just to keep me honest.

Notes for other chars :

Air super shenanigans for days. Valentine can now do Air Knives -> Air Knives -> ER Super and have it all combo without ever needing an OTG. Painwheel can likewise chain 2 of her air supers together as well.

My painwheel combo wasnt patch proof. D:
HP -> Fly -> j.MK no longer works
Gotta get used to fly cancelling her scythe grab thing for damage as well.

I can go from Filia DP Super -> Bomb Midscreen and do a full combo from that point. Bomb having less recovery is amazing.

Cancelling bombs into eachother is crack, Peacock can throw out so much more shit on the screen now.

Fortune is a bit jarring not having her ground bounce anymore but shes still very much a powerful character in my eyes.

As I mentioned above, Parasoul being able to RC her level 3 is amazing. Just amazing.

Word of the patch must have spread far and wide by now. Online is packed. Searching for a match takes about thirty seconds at most today and even red matches are perfectly smooth(I'm talking about BlazBlue green, SCV max ping and 40ms GGPO here). Parasoul's links rarely connected before the patch and now I'm pulling off her links no matter where I am or what ping I'm fighting against.

Fuck Double and Valentine by the way. I hate Double's retarded j.H spam. I'm just gonna zone the shit out of them. Crossup cars from most of these guys are a joke. Discoshark is probably stuck in an infinite Skullgirls vortex right about now judging by his excitement and online performance.

Zero ten second combos spotted thus far, let alone twenty second ones.
No, I get hit by them. If I could do those combos, I'd be a legit threat at tournies.
Once again... your friends must be Godlike.

ggs solar

i'll do a little better next time, hopefully

i thought there was a way to do button config on the character select screen, but i couldn't find it ._.

E: Where the hell are those extra colors?

E2: I don't know who I want to learn besides Double!!!! DDDDXXX

E1 : Press start to select your character and you go to each chars color select where you can choose between 13 colors. Colors 11-13 are new.

E2 : Double fits well with just about any team you could want to make. Shes a great pressure assist with LK hornet bomber and a great zoning assist as MK/HK hornet bomber. Shes also much more effective when she has meter so in most cases shes an anchor type of char. Fortune and Filia can both be used pretty simply and make for great beginner chars. as well.

Ravidrath

We're supposed to be getting more than just the 3 extra colors.

I already play Double. Solo Double is ass though, so I need someone else.

There are three free extra colors per character in the patch.

When we release the DLC colors, each pack will have four more. And if you buy all 8 character color packs, there's a bonus color.

Top Bottom