• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Not at the moment... because we've submitted it and are waiting on approval for the patch. SCEA has approved it, so we're waiting on SCEE and MS now.

Oh, and I figured this bit from the patch notes would be of particular interest to you...

• Addressed an issue with leaderboard behavior, so that rank will no longer be lost when winning matches
One down and two to go.

Ravidrath

Awesome, thanks! :)

I saw you guys fixed the stage select bug too.

This patch is so crazy huge... I stopped counting changes at 300.

I mean, we would have preferred to get it out sooner, but at least we did manage to get some more nice things in with the extra time. The 360 leaderboard fix was a fairly recent one, actually.

Ravidrath

Whoa. that's almost half the size of the game!

Because we basically had to do that to fix the loading issues on 360.

For whatever reason, different models of 360s open files at vastly different speeds. To minimize the number of file open calls, we had to completely redo the file system and repackage a large chunk of the game into large WAD files.

There are some other things, too. For example, the Ms. Fortune files in there are completely new to get us some memory back for Movelists, GGPO buffer, etc. She was previously double the size of the other characters because she had headed/headless versions of most every frame. Mike wrote some tech that basically does a delta for he headed/headless versions, though, so only the sectors that actually change get stored for the headed version.

Galdelico

Can't wait for the patch to come out. I know it won't take long now, and I feel weirdly overexcited. :D

If I may ask, can you say anything about the new characters, Rav?
Even if you can't speak too much in detail: are they still planned? As single DLCs? Packed altogether, maybe with a 'Skullgirls: Complete Edition' of sort?
Just curious, tho: if it's top secert stuff I won't insist. :)

Ravidrath

If I may ask, can you say anything about the new characters, Rav?
Even if you can't speak too much in detail: are they stilly planned? As single DLCs? Packed altogether, maybe with a 'Skullgirls: Complete Edition' of sort?
Just curious, tho: if it's top secert stuff I won't insist. :)

Can't say anything about this now, I'm afraid.

That is a big patch. I'm glad to see that you are taking this opportunity to cram in as many changes and fixes as possible. Were patches of this size always possible?

On PS3, yes.

Really loving seeing you post again Ravid, thanks for keeping us up to date about what's been going on at the risk of getting in trouble at work. ^^;

As a complete aside. This Japanese(?) Parasoul play is REALLY awesome to watch. The way this person turns whiffed air normals into tears placed at various parts of the stage is some serious smart stuff. I'd been wondering when I was playing Parasoul how to better incorporate the tears outside of combos in my game and this video pretty much describes it perfectly. Worth checking out~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgFtMeQDRg

His channel is filled with even more fun Parasoul play.
http://www.youtube.com/user/margherita0141

Azure J

Even though the lion's share of my current play time with fighters has been totally dedicated to getting better in Mahvel, I saw SolarPowered's post in the weekly thread and enjoyed a lot of the match footage between that Cerebella and Parasoul. I'm kinda here wondering if there are any devoted channels to Ms. Fortune or Valentine play that might be fun to peruse on my downtime when I'm not being a Marvel Minion. :p

Edit: oh lol, the post above is showing off the same set of matches I was talking about.

Even though the lion's share of my current play time with fighters has been totally dedicated to getting better in Mahvel, I saw SolarPowered's post in the weekly thread and enjoyed a lot of the match footage between that Cerebella and Parasoul. I'm kinda here wondering if there are any devoted channels to Ms. Fortune or Valentine play that might be fun to peruse on my downtime when I'm not being a Marvel Minion. :p

Edit: oh lol, the post above is showing off the same set of matches I was talking about.

Unfortunately there aren't a TON of channels dedicated to specific people playing specific characters. The video channel I posted up above has a decent amount of Fortune play though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tumlw_Fif5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXX-V1PMQeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nNwIhoKfCw

and I'm sure there's more~

The PROBLEM I'm finding is that I think pretty much the entirety of the guys footage is delegated to 1v1 play and the dynamic for a game like this changes COMPLETELY once assists are brought into the picture.

Regarding general Fortune tutorial material here's some neat stuff.

General How-To Fortune:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/head-games-ms-fortune-character-guide-v-1-9.159145/

Sandwich Combo tutorial (3 parts) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjBKLW7w5Yg

~~

Relevant Valentine Footage :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfS4Q73OSo

About an hour of play from WingZero, a regular at Salty Cupcakes (weekly SG patched tournament)

shaowebb

I am so looking forward to this patch. Any news on the backer side of things yet? Konami? Nintendo? Disney? WB? Anyone? I really want to see you guys get picked up as a studio for somewhere so that you can expand your crew and product to fulfill all your back burnered ambitions. Such a solid product is rare.

GGs to Solar~

You've improved a loooot since we first played. I was impressed with the wide array of Peacock shenanigans you were making use of, stuff like the double ground chomp and use of j.HK to delay Painwheel from getting in on you. You're also like the only player I come across who actually makes use of super jumps in game ... at all.

Random things to improve on gooo!

General :
Grab me more. Really. Air grab me, ground grab me or what have you. You're just NOT doing it at the moment and that's seriously diminishing your potential.

Parasoul :

Diversify your pressure and mixups. Whether it be stopping an aerial approach with air grab or just dashing up and grabbing me in the middle of a block string. You have GREAT pressure with Parasoul but it's not doing you much good when you go for the same general mixups each time. Outside of the occasional HK Overhead you never really instilled a sense of fear into me from your lockdown alone.

You had this string where you did a few moves that were blocked and immediately transitioned to HK Overhead, it's a fine mixup up until the point your opponent wises up and starts properly pushblocking you, at that point you leave yourself in a vulnerable position where the whiffed overhead attempt at best allows your opponent to get out of your pressure or at worst leaves them with an opportunity to punish you. So what do you do against this? Try getting into the habit of cancelling every HK Overhead attempt into Egret Cancel (Back - Forward LK), this way if you're pushblocked you can easily continue pressure or otherwise keep yourself safe (good way to tick into grab as well if its not pushblocked). This however doesn't address the fact that your strings are being pushblocked, what do you do to punish them before you even have to deal with having to cancel whiffed normal move? Notice that your opponent is advance guarding your first few strings and use that against them. Grab them or begin strings with overheads before they have time to do anything about it.

~Dirty Overhead String~
f.LP (High) -> f.MP (Low) -> b.HK (High)

It's some bull. Use it!

Peacock v. Peacock Tips :
Whoever gets item drop HP over the other Peacock's head "wins". At this point it doesnt matter what projectiles your opponent throws out because they can all be punished with the drop itself. Keep that momentum in your favor and keep them unbalanced with the LK / MK Bombs that go under her bang bang bang. Teleporting is also an important factor in this matchup as you can use it to punish her risky zoning attempts. The crux of it ultimately is to make the opposing Peacock have to block more than you have to. The more they block the more leeway you have in throwing out more projectiles.

Parasoul v. Peacock Tips :
You're not going to beat Peacock with zoning, stop trying to. Your goal should be to transition from light zoning to getting closer and closer to your opponent. In the same way the Peacock v. Peacock matchup is won by making the opposing Peacock block a move, having a Peacock block a Bike or Tear explosion gives you more than enough time to creep forward. Raw HK tear tosses, Napalm Shots, Egret Shield (MK), and Egret Bike (HK) are all important tools to use in order to minimize the effect of her zoning and transition to your pressure game. Do not willing play this matchup at full screen.

Edit : Remember Peacock can throw 0 projectiles once she's in the air! Forcing her to jump creates the same effect! Use it as an opportunity to move forward.

Is it just me or did our games feel like we were moving in molasses(especially at the start)? The game was slow as hell even though our inputs were spot on. I'm not saying there was input lag... the game just felt slower than ever for the first time. I haven't played any other fighter recently that would make me think that way either.

Edit: Filia was the sole exception. Holy crap she is fast as fuck in your hands. I have no problem with the speed when she is out there.
GGs to Solar~

You've improved a loooot since we first played. I was impressed with the wide array of Peacock shenanigans you were making use of, stuff like the double ground chomp and use of j.HK to delay Painwheel from getting in on you. You're also like the only player I come across who actually makes use of super jumps in game ... at all.

Random things to improve on gooo!
I felt like I was on to something with Peacock for a while, but I need more practice.
General :
Grab me more. Really. Air grab me, ground grab me or what have you. You're just NOT doing it at the moment and that's seriously diminishing your potential.
Yeah, I barely grabbed in this set at all. Very different from our previous set where I was grabbing here and there until the connection crapped out on us. You were certainly taking advantage of grabs with Cerebella's grab assist. Goddamn that was annoying. I wonder if Mike would consider speeding up grab animations in a patch down the road.
Parasoul :

Diversify your pressure and mixups. Whether it be stopping an aerial approach with air grab or just dashing up and grabbing me in the middle of a block string. You have GREAT pressure with Parasoul but it's not doing you much good when you go for the same general mixups each time. Outside of the occasional HK Overhead you never really instilled a sense of fear into me from your lockdown alone.

You had this string where you did a few moves that were blocked and immediately transitioned to HK Overhead, it's a fine mixup up until the point your opponent wises up and starts properly pushblocking you, at that point you leave yourself in a vulnerable position where the whiffed overhead attempt at best allows your opponent to get out of your pressure or at worst leaves them with an opportunity to punish you. So what do you do against this? Try getting into the habit of cancelling every HK Overhead attempt into Egret Cancel (Back - Forward LK), this way if you're pushblocked you can easily continue pressure or otherwise keep yourself safe (good way to tick into grab as well if its not pushblocked). This however doesn't address the fact that your strings are being pushblocked, what do you do to punish them before you even have to deal with having to cancel whiffed normal move? Notice that your opponent is advance guarding your first few strings and use that against them. Grab them or begin strings with overheads before they have time to do anything about it.

~Dirty Overhead String~
f.LP (High) -> f.MP (Low) -> b.HK (High)

It's some bull. Use it!
I noticed that my average blockstrings weren't working. Gonna have to toss out more motorcycle egrets, tears and RC soldiers occasionally if I feel like a pushblock is coming up. They just pair really well with George's little car explosive. Also, I love Parasoul's jumping light punch. That is some secret top tier poke right there.
Peacock v. Peacock Tips :
Whoever gets item drop HP over the other Peacock's head "wins". At this point it doesnt matter what projectiles your opponent throws out because they can all be punished with the drop itself. Keep that momentum in your favor and keep them unbalanced with the LK / MK Bombs that go under her bang bang bang. Teleporting is also an important factor in this matchup as you can use it to punish her risky zoning attempts. The crux of it ultimately is to make the opposing Peacock have to block more than you have to. The more they block the more leeway you have in throwing out more projectiles.
I totally get that. Every time I look at our old videos I think that it is over if I block for more than three seconds. If Peacock isn't tossing items for 3 seconds or under someone with no AA assist then she is nearly fucked.
Parasoul v. Peacock Tips :
You're not going to beat Peacock with zoning, stop trying to. Your goal should be to transition from light zoning to getting closer and closer to your opponent. In the same way the Peacock v. Peacock matchup is won by making the opposing Peacock block a move, having a Peacock block a Bike or Tear explosion gives you more than enough time to creep forward. Raw HK tear tosses, Napalm Shots, Egret Shield (MK), and Egret Bike (HK) are all important tools to use in order to minimize the effect of her zoning and transition to your pressure game. Do not willing play this matchup at full screen.

Edit : Remember Peacock can throw 0 projectiles once she's in the air! Forcing her to jump creates the same effect! Use it as an opportunity to move forward.
Easy there :p

I started zoning with Parasoul just for kicks. I didn't exactly give up or play to win in that matchup. I'm pretty sure I only tried to zone with Parasoul a couple of times at most when Peacock is out. I'm aware of the fact that Parasoul just can't keep up with the barrage of BS Peacock has in her brown bag. Thanks for the advice.

Hmm, slow games? I havent really figured out the best way of moving with Cerebella short of jump -> Fly and Valentines always been an awkward character for me. I figure I should probably just play her more grounded until I get in range to throw out an airdash, shes weird. Parasoul and Peacock are also pretty limited in the ground / air speed department as well so I guess all of that may explain why you'd feel it was slow?

Like I said though, your peacock is totally getting there, I feel like playing against Painwheel a lot in the early days may have trained you maybe not to have used HP item drop as much though? Having the threat out (charging HP item drop while your opponent is at full screen) is definitely a legitimate deterrent to rushdown and gives you ample opportunity to set up bombs and such as well. It's a fantastic tool useful in the majority of matchups you'll face in game, or maybe you were using them and I just didnt catch on to it, sorry if my memory's fuzzy. ^^;

More Peacock Tips :

HP.
This normal is pretty fantastic, not only does it have a great starting physical hitbox that gives you tons of time to confirm into whatever you want but it's also a unique toolset in Peacock's arsenal in that its a projectile mapped to a normal move. The obvious advantage to this is that you can safely throw this out in a lot of situations where it'd be unsafe to commit to other projectiles and still have ample time to teleport / fake-teleport away from danger. It's also a great means to just get projectiles out in the field in general, you throw it out and immediately cancel into any George to react to them either jumping (Air George) or making their way on the ground (Walking / Kart George), them blocking it also gives you time to setup an item drop which gives you a pretty huge deterrent to whatever plans they had in moving forward.

Parasoul Peacock Bomb DHC -
Just something I was messing around with in training mode today, I got the idea after playing you yesterday actually and it seems to work out really well.

Corner :
[whatever combo] -> Sniper shot (on a grounded opponent so they crumple) -> DHC into Bomb Dash forward LP MP Mk j.LK (1-2 hits depending on weight) j.MP Airdash (not a full one) j.LP j.MP -land- cr.LK MP Teleport

The teleport should save you from damage that you'd otherwise have to take from bomb explosion and leaves your opponent at full screen length from you. You can charge an item drop before they land and resume zoning with that threat looming above their heads as they recover.

~~~~

Post-Patch things to think about.

Parasoul's Egret Cancel Level 3 is going to be ridiculously silly in that you can throw it out after any block string, cancel yourself, then move in for Overhead strings while your opponent is forced to block the other soldiers shooting at the same time. A game changer for the character for sure.

Im tempted to think that Peacock is, overall, a much more powerful character post-patch as well. Yeah, she has some added recovery on teleport but with the addition of super cancelling her teleports she'll be making the opponent second guess their decision to punish it. Couple all of this with the ability to cancel bombs into eachother like napalm tosses, some added chip damage on projectiles, and probably some of the highest post-patch damage potential and you have the makings of a very formidable force.

Gonna be looking forward to trying guard cancel pushblock -> Bomb super -> Whatever other super I want..

Double crossup car.
This is going to be bullshit. Just the silliest thing ever and frankly I think something that sort of cheapens the character for me (which says something because I was using Hornet Bomber without a care in the world). Herp Valentine Scalpel Super -> Car Super. Flip a coin to tell which direction you'll have to block it.

Ravidrath

At long last...

The PS3 version of the Skullgirls patch will be hitting on November 20th!

We're working to get the Xbox 360 version through submission as quickly as possible, and wil announce it as soon as we know more.

At long last...

We're working to get the Xbox 360 version through submission as quickly as possible, and wil announce it as soon as we know more.

SUCCESS!!

tumblr_m9g12dENqL1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Roubjon

At long last...

Just in time for Thanksgiving break, that's awesome. Can't wait to play.

Ravidrath

Do we have any native speakers of French, Italian, German or Spanish on here?

We wanted to get the patch notes translated, but it was going to cost a ridiculous amount of money, so we're opening it up for the community to translate.

If you'd like to help, PM me an e-mail address and I'll share a GDoc with you.

Re-downloading and will give this another shot Tuesday

Did you buy the game before, or just try the demo?

NEO0MJ

This is great news, as I was one of "those people" that dropped the game when I first heard about the patch. Though it's kinda troubling for my schedule that it's going up the same day PSABR gets released >.<

alstein

We wanted to get the patch notes translated, but it was going to cost a ridiculous amount of money, so we're opening it up for the community to translate.

Did you buy the game before, or just try the demo?

I bought it before. I pretty much loved everything about the game except that it was way too combo-heavy. It will probably still be too combo-heavy for my tastes, but I"ll give it another shot.

I'd love to see you guys work on a more traditional fighter. If I won the lottery I'd buy you guys and put you to work on that.

Ravidrath

I bought it before. I pretty much loved everything about the game except that it was way too combo-heavy. It will probably still be too combo-heavy for my tastes, but I"ll give it another shot.

I'd love to see you guys work on a more traditional fighter. If I won the lottery I'd buy you guys and put you to work on that.

Well, the IPS changes make it MUCH less combo-heavy, so I think it'll make a big difference for you.

alstein

There's only so much a small studio can do at once.

Even with my gameplay complaints , I don't regret buying this game- it's a really great first effort, and I want to see what comes next.

Galdelico

Italy here, PM sent. ^_-

I don't think I've read mention of plans to port the game to Wii U once, ever.

PC port, getting it in Japanese arcades, a Japanese disc release, DLC characters, balance updates as needed, yea, always talked about.

Wii U port, never. From what I know, it's not even on their minds. But after the news about how the new eShop's going to work, it very obviously needs to be.

This game needs all the exposure it can get, and Nintendo seems to be making efforts to give indie devs an easier time working with them, so I'm just throwing it out there.

It can be item #269 on the to-do list, as long as it's actually on the list.

alstein

I don't think I've read mention of plans to port the game to Wii U once, ever.

PC port, getting it in Japanese arcades, a Japanese disc release, DLC characters, balance updates as needed, yea, always talked about.

Wii U port, never. From what I know, it's not even on their minds. But after the news about how the new eShop's going to work, it very obviously needs to be.

This game needs all the exposure it can get, and Nintendo seems to be making efforts to give indie devs an easier time working with them, so I'm just throwing it out there.

It can be item #269 on the to-do list, as long as it's actually on the list.

A Wii U port, provided they don't force censorship, would be nice, but would it sell?
The folks who get a Wii U aren't exactly the Marvel, Anime fighter, or Guilty Gear crowds.

I feel like the conversation has popped up a number of times but is anyone a bit worried that the crossplay feature for the PC / PS3 may just hold back the PC version of the game? I guess I feel like the inherent advantage of any PC version of a game is that updates are much easier to throw out and test amongst your player base. With crossplay however one can't simply change or update the hypothetical PC version of the game without having the console version put up as well. So I guess in a world where Skullgirls is putting out or planning DLC for the game is the PC version being unnecessarily held back?

Of course this would all be a moot point if you could change whatever 'mode' the PC version of the game was playing in. Think of the way SSF4 AE handled that transition, you'd have the ability to seemlessly switch the updated version or console version of the game while playing.

.02 cents

I feel like the conversation has popped up a number of times but is anyone a bit worried that the crossplay feature for the PC / PS3 may just hold back the PC version of the game? I guess I feel like the inherent advantage of any PC version of a game is that updates are much easier to throw out and test amongst your player base. With crossplay however one can't simply change or update the hypothetical PC version of the game without having the console version put up as well. So I guess in a world where Skullgirls is putting out or planning DLC for the game is the PC version being unnecessarily held back?

Of course this would all be a moot point if you could change whatever 'mode' the PC version of the game was playing in. Think of the way SSF4 AE handled that transition, you'd have the ability to seemlessly switch the updated version or console version of the game while playing.

.02 cents

While not because of crossplay, but just the games being on PS360 period, yea, I've been thinking the PC version could be held back unnecessarily. If the PC version is the latest, and with SG the latest is likely to be better, the PS360 versions won't likely be seeing much play. People fell off the game once the patch was announced, so it's not a stretch to think they definitely aren't going to play on consoles when the superior version is available on PC.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the FGC as a whole would be better off if the PC was the standard platform for fighters, or at the very least, not an afterthought. But the only way that's going to happen is if fighters start seeing a consistent release on PC.

I'm not sure that a ported release is really going to get that train moving, but it could, especially if the PC version is updated as much as I imagine Mike Z and crew would like it to be.

As for changing versions, I asked about it before the game was released, citing BB as an example of a game that let you roll back to previous versions, and I believe Ravi said that they didn't know how to do it.

alstein

While not because of crossplay, but just the games being on PS360 period, yea, I've been thinking the PC version could be held back unnecessarily. If the PC version is the latest, and with SG the latest is likely to be better, the PS360 versions won't likely be seeing much play. People fell off the game once the patch was announced, so it's not a stretch to think they definitely aren't going to play on consoles when the superior version is available on PC.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think the FGC as a whole would be better off if the PC was the standard platform for fighters, or at the very least, not an afterthought. But the only way that's going to happen is if fighters start seeing a consistent release on PC.

I'm not sure that a ported release is really going to get that train moving, but it could, especially if the PC version is updated as much as I imagine Mike Z and crew would like it to be.

As for changing versions, I asked about it before the game was released, citing BB as an example of a game that let you roll back to previous versions, and I believe Ravi said that they didn't know how to do it.

Skullgirls isn't going to move the FGC towards PC's, just the Skullgirls comm, which is more likely to play dojin fighters like Vanguard Princess/Melty on PC's anyways.

The only thing that would move things towards the PC is Marvel on PC's, or Capcom treating PC gamers with respect instead of 2nd-class citizens for SF.

It's not that they don't know how to do it. Mike Z very clearly explained it once. I just can't recall if it was on SRK or on a stream. If you are curious you can log on to SRK and ask him. He would probably be more than happy to answer your question.

Guy is a smart dev.

.02 cents
I can't speak for the Skullgirls team, but I believe they never planned for the feature to be there day one. It would be something added if crossplay actually materialized at all.

Ravidrath

Crossplay probably just isn't realistically attainable this generation, because the possible matchmaking solutions aren't good now.

We were hoping we could go with Steam, but PS3 Steam isn't an approved middleware by Sony, and likely never will be.

If we went with something like Gamespy, there'd be a ton of hassle in getting everyone set up to play online because no one has Gamespy friend lists.

Top Bottom