• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

Volimar

It's kind of cool that every time i start up the game there's new mods to peruse in the menu. Like a mini Christmas.

Jellie

Tried out a few mods.
e3trLOs.png

Tanked my FPS from 60 to 30 by using verdants grass mod. Might fiddle with the settings. Hope I don't have to uninstall it since I like the grass.

Volimar

Hmm. I never thought the boobage on the Syrim armors was pronounced enough to be a problem, but who am I to judge. Those new armors look nice too.

Godan

So it is best to use the Nexus mode manager for the SSE on PC or use the Mod option in the main menu of the game?

so, I downloaded the RK followers mod from regular skyrim and then ported them to my SSE

now the game if giving me this weird glitch

20161103155000_1jzuf1.jpg

20161103160830_1tdudw.jpg

I know the cause is the rk followers since, deactivating it fixed the issue, however i'll apreciate some help in order to keep the mod active

Aikidoka

Volimar

so, I downloaded the RK followers mod from regular skyrim and then ported them to my SSE

now the game if giving me this weird glitch

20161103155000_1jzuf1.jpg

20161103160830_1tdudw.jpg

I know the cause is the rk followers since, deactivating it fixed the issue, however i'll apreciate some help in order to keep the mod active

"Experience the terror as your Skyrim character's mind slowly unravels."

Danlord

I've just tested Verdant Grass for Special Edition. Note that I have an i7 4790K (stock) and GTX 970 but I know many have commented that it's plummeted their FPS in half, and it really shouldn't be doing that. So what I'll do is post my .ini description pertaining to grass and for others to use these settings.

I have used Verdant Grass since OG Skyrim and it has been utterly flawless, huge fields of grass, very dense and no FPS impact at all.

../My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/Skyrim.ini
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
iMinGrassSize=80

The mod author recommends iMinGrassSize=70 but I can't remember if I had FPS drops or just didn't like the coverage, so I lowered the setting (by increasing the number) and found sweet spot at 80 for myself.

I just tested running through the fields outside Whiterun using the console command 'player.setav speedmult 300' (default = 100) so I run stupidly fast just for testing purposes. No drops at all. Smooth, flawless 60FPS.

If you were having FPS issues with Verdant Grass, please test using these settings as I have had good success with this mod and it deserves the attention, it was the biggest visual change for Skyrim for me and I would've missed it had it not been ported.

Edit: Screenshot.

MvOYnzX.jpg

Ashodin

Same here, and the problem is you can't really say its enough. I think its now the part of the charm of skyrim.

I think the 64 bit native client now makes it so much easier to install stuff without bogging down the game so you're free to run wild

LIKE MACHO MANNNNNNN

Tried out a few mods.

Tanked my FPS from 60 to 30 by using verdants grass mod. Might fiddle with the settings. Hope I don't have to uninstall it since I like the grass.

Did you have the grass mod PLUS the SFO mod together?

I've found either of them work fine on their own, but combining them kills the framerate. I decided on Verdants grass mod as it fills all the dirty gaps the vanilla game has.

Brohan

So i had installed the ''Static Mesh Improvement Mod'' but it seems that there is a newer version..

How do i update this mod (and mods in general)?

Also glad that the latest version of loot is finally working for me.

So i had installed the ''Static Mesh Improvement Mod'' but it seems that there is a newer version..

How do i update this mod (and mods in general)?

Also glad that the latest version of loot is finally working for me.

There's an icon to the left on NMM that checks for updates for all mods.

Thanks a bunch! Updating them now.

Note that that that NMM check for updates button won't actually automatically update mods, it just marks the mod and says there's an update to it. What you'll have to do is deactive/delete the old version of the mod, go to NMM and download the new version then install it again. If you had previously overwritten stuff when installing the mod originally you won't have to worry about that as NMM doesn't restore overwritten files when you deactivate the mod that overwrote them, but if you had overwritten any of SMIM's files (such as with the Noble texture pack) you'll want to be sure to say no to that mod at the overwrite prompt.

Mod Organizer really did handle loose file overwriting so much better than NMM, it's a shame it's not being updated to SE...

Brohan

Note that that that NMM check for updates button won't actually automatically update mods, it just marks the mod and says there's an update to it. What you'll have to do is deactive/delete the old version of the mod, go to NMM and download the new version then install it again. If you had previously overwritten stuff when installing the mod originally you won't have to worry about that as NMM doesn't restore overwritten files when you deactivate the mod that overwrote them, but if you had overwritten any of SMIM's files (such as with the Noble texture pack) you'll want to be sure to say no to that mod at the overwrite prompt.

Mod Organizer really did handle loose file overwriting so much better than NMM, it's a shame it's not being updated to SE...

Ok thanks for the info. SO how do i go about deleting or overwriting SMIM in this case?

Vuze

Is there a mod that adds console commands as spells or some such? I know how to enter them via console but comfy couch controller play etc

Sometimes it would be nice to have free cam, tim or others on hand.

Trojan

Subbed, I'm going to wait a couple weeks before playing this to let mods get updated on PC. I only played Skyrim on PS3 so I deserve to get a proper modded experience this time around after the disaster that was the PS3 version.

Any chance enderal makes it to Xbox one? I wouldn't have thought so but now that falskaar did I'm hoping the other bigs (skywind please) will come over

Jellie

I've just tested Verdant Grass for Special Edition. Note that I have an i7 4790K (stock) and GTX 970 but I know many have commented that it's plummeted their FPS in half, and it really shouldn't be doing that. So what I'll do is post my .ini description pertaining to grass and for others to use these settings.

I have used Verdant Grass since OG Skyrim and it has been utterly flawless, huge fields of grass, very dense and no FPS impact at all.

../My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/Skyrim.ini

The mod author recommends iMinGrassSize=70 but I can't remember if I had FPS drops or just didn't like the coverage, so I lowered the setting (by increasing the number) and found sweet spot at 80 for myself.

I just tested running through the fields outside Whiterun using the console command 'player.setav speedmult 300' (default = 100) so I run stupidly fast just for testing purposes. No drops at all. Smooth, flawless 60FPS.

If you were having FPS issues with Verdant Grass, please test using these settings as I have had good success with this mod and it deserves the attention, it was the biggest visual change for Skyrim for me and I would've missed it had it not been ported.

Edit: Screenshot.

MvOYnzX.jpg
I'll try this out tomorrow.
Did you have the grass mod PLUS the SFO mod together?

I've found either of them work fine on their own, but combining them kills the framerate. I decided on Verdants grass mod as it fills all the dirty gaps the vanilla game has.
Yeah I used both. Maybe I'll try with verdant only or the settings above with SFO.
i5 6500 and gtx 1060 btw.

draetenth

To be fair, that's because the creator of Mod Organizer has been hired by the Nexus to create a new mod manager that's supposed to replace both NMM and MO and combine the best of two.

You can read about it here.

However, there is no telling when it will be available or how well it will work so the NMM will have to do for now (even if support for that is also being dropped).

For those of you using Verdant and SFO together, do not forget to turn off the SFO plugin. This allows you to replace the grass from SFO with Verdants instead of trying to use both. I missed this step in the instructions and was having major issues with my framerate like everyone else (even though I am running with a gtx1080 i56600k and at 3440x1440p) until I did this but this seems to have fixed it for me and I get a quite stable 60fps with only some dips that I think are being caused by some other mods like the SKYtest. I'm still trying to figure that out but at this point I really don't think it's the flora mods but I will continue testing. My settings this way are,

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=15
iMinGrassSize=55

I also deleted the .ini that came with SFO with those settings in it and just copied and pasted those entire lines of settings to underneath the "[Grass]" section in the Skyrim.ini file for the special edition since they are absent if you don't.

Ashodin

Would anyone be willing to make some comparison shots using this? I really like the sound of this one

Can confirm is awesome. He even went over the children, now they don't look like ass!

Here's me with Total Overhaul:

rXvuEvq.png

Here's me with WINDSONG

t6Ot4Dc.png

Bonus sheath image!

G9a61g6.png

Top Bottom