• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

I feel like Kingdom Hearts is probably off the cards unless Disney gives the okay, even if it's just using some music directly ripped from the games.

Personally I'd like a track or two from The World Ends With You. Half the cast look like KH's cast anyway!

Kingdom Hearts music probably won't happen, but I'm surprised they went with Cloud's AC design rather than the KH1 one - its appearance in Dissidia shows they can use it without any additional issues with Disney, and from a visual standpoint it's much more of a departure from the regular costume, as well as being a better fit for Smash Bros.' art direction.

TWEWY music would be great as well, and they could even use the models from KH3D to provide trophies for the main cast. Though speaking of which, I'll be really disappointed if the only Mii costumes we get from the SE collaboration are the Chocobo ones - especially if they look outside FF, there's a lot of characters that wouldn't look bad with Mii proportions.

Though as much as I find the Mii costumes based on characters in the main roster to be pointless, I'd love a Mii Swordfighter costume based on Cloud's PS1 field model, similar to the Akira costume.

batfax

Also what about Sega?

This is an annoyingly difficult question when it comes to possible third parties. I like to put my bets on Phantasy Star, but that's pretty much personal taste and SEGA's only put it into... one? crossover I can think of. Which is really weird for a successful RPG series that only has a two day age difference with Final Fantasy, but SEGA's gonna SEGA.

SEGA's got a bunch of good options like Alex Kidd, NiGHTS, Shenmue, Puyo Puyo, Jet Set Radio, etc. but everything they've got is so far away from Sonic it just ends up hard to guess.

Zubz

Banned
Fatal Fury guy

Name or not, I like how GAF treats Terry like he has a chance. He probably doesn't, but a man can dream...

It'd also be cool if The World Ends With You got some musical representation. With so so many good songs in that game, it;d be hard to choose which, but if I had to...

I would regret all my salt at Cloud's reveal if it meant TWEWY music.

Neiteio

Every major video game character has been mentioned by someone at some point, but I wouldn’t consider the following characters to be commonly discussed:
  • Chris, Jill, or Leon. Resident Evil is huge, and they could have a resource management and/or ammunition swap mechanic to avoid using guns.

• Can you describe this "ammunition swap mechanic" and other ideas for how RE characters could work in Smash? Because RE is one of my favorite series (RER2 will make my GOTY Top 10), and I'd love there to be a way for them to work in Smash.

Golnei

Can you describe this "ammunition swap mechanic" and other ideas for how RE characters could work in Smash? Because RE is one of my favorite series (RER2 will make my GOTY Top 10), and I'd love there to be a way for them to work in Smash.

Maybe something to toggle between incendiary/flashbang/fragmentation grenades, ice/acid/incendiary grenade launcher rounds and various types of eggs? It'd be an interesting way to handle a 'stance' character in a way differing from Shulk's temporary buffs, as well as make up for the lack of custom moves on DLC characters.

Neiteio

Maybe something to toggle between incendiary/flashbang/fragmentation grenades, ice/acid/incendiary grenade launcher rounds and various types of eggs? It'd be an interesting way to handle a 'stance' character in a way differing from Shulk's temporary buffs, as well as make up for the lack of custom moves on DLC characters.
That'd be cool. Another cool move a RE character could implement would be the mine launcher from RE4, which fired off "mine darts" that stuck to the enemy before detonating. And of course they'd work in the rocket launcher somewhere.

Although I wonder if they could implement zombies somehow. Back in the Brawl days, I envisioned a Jill Valentine (REmake style, with beret) who "summoned" zombies and B.O.W.s, but in a way that looked like they were attacking her, missing her, and hitting her opponents instead. Think of how Duck Hunt reacts to the shooter's shots (albeit the shooter isn't aiming for Duck Hunt).

So like Jill's Down Special could conjure up the bald white zombie from REmake (first one you see), and he'd lunge toward her and she'd dodge (all part of the same move animation) and the zombie would grapple and bite your opponents.

Or perhaps another move causes Jill to drop to the ground as a Hunter jumps over her head with a sweeping claw strike. Or perhaps Jill could sidestep a Licker firing its tongue forward. And so on.

Her normals could still be a variety of grenade- and rocket-based weaponry, as well as the kung-fu moves that are so common in action RE these days.

I think it'd be a cool way to embody the entire series, referencing the human protagonists and the monsters unique to RE.

TDLink

I don't think any character is really going to be a huge surprise now because people have guessed pretty much everything. It would still be really exciting and cool to see one of these other big third party characters announced though, even if people have guessed them.

One that would actually be surprising that I don't think many people have mentioned, but is in within the realm of possibility:

Elma from Xenoblade X
. The game is already out in Japan and is about to launch in the rest of the world. It would be good for cross promotion, would show Nintendo's faith in this franchise, and give Xenoblade another character (a black girl at that!). Would be cool for representation. Plus I could see her sliding and shooting stuff being good for a moveset. A Skell Final Smash would be awesome as well.

Of course Elma wouldn't really be a "hype" announcement since she's a new character most people don't know. But I think it would be cool and surprising.

What kind of scale would the reveal of Nightmare from Soul Calibur be? He's an important character to me because I've been playing Soul Calibur since the first entry on the dreamcast (I missed out on soul edge/blade) but that clearly biases me, so I'm curious to see if the character is recognisable to those who didn't spend a good portion of their lives playing the game :p

Along the same lines I'm curious what Yoshimitsu is to people as he appears in both Soul Calibur and Tekken.

Platy

What kind of scale would the reveal of Nightmare from Soul Calibur be? He's an important character to me because I've been playing Soul Calibur since the first entry on the dreamcast (I missed out on soul edge/blade) but that clearly biases me, so I'm curious to see if the character is recognisable to those who didn't spend a good portion of their lives playing the game :p

Along the same lines I'm curious what Yoshimitsu is to people as he appears in both Soul Calibur and Tekken.

Siegfried maybe, Nightmare no way.

RK128

I don't think any character is really going to be a huge surprise now because people have guessed pretty much everything. It would still be really exciting and cool to see one of these other big third party characters announced though, even if people have guessed them.

One that would actually be surprising that I don't think many people have mentioned, but is in within the realm of possibility:

Elma from Xenoblade X
. The game is already out in Japan and is about to launch in the rest of the world. It would be good for cross promotion, would show Nintendo's faith in this franchise, and give Xenoblade another character (a black girl at that!). Would be cool for representation. Plus I could see her sliding and shooting stuff being good for a moveset. A Skell Final Smash would be awesome as well.

Of course Elma wouldn't really be a "hype" announcement since she's a new character most people don't know. But I think it would be cool and surprising.

That would be a good idea; the Xenoblade series is represented in Smash Bros. and it would be smart cross-promotion with an upcoming release. I never played Xenobalde X (saw some JP footage online in the past), but from what I understand, she could be a gun user; various fire-arms doing different attacks and having her final smash be using the mech-walkers to kill foes.

Kingdom Hearts music probably won't happen, but I'm surprised they went with Cloud's AC design rather than the KH1 one - its appearance in Dissidia shows they can use it without any additional issues with Disney, and from a visual standpoint it's much more of a departure from the regular costume, as well as being a better fit for Smash Bros.' art direction.
I could see that giant wing Cloud's KH design has being a pain to animate and work out any major clipping problems just for a model swap. Advent Children look by comparison is likely far more easy to have as a model swap.

TDLink

Elma is black? Just looks tan to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seems pretty damn dark to me. So much so that it definitely isn't just a tan.

Not that it matters anyways, but I thought it was cool that Nintendo is pushing a non-white female as the central character.

tumblr_static_e8l9vcy5q00k0ggoo84o8gk44.png

Kevinroc

If we were to get a Xenoblade Chronicles X character, it would probably be the player character ("Cross"). That's what they did with Robin when it came time for a Fire Emblem Awakening rep.

I don't think either of those companie have another appealing enough third party series to use, though.
I feel SE has two possible reps that could get in.

A Dragon Quest rep since its a big series thats lasted a long time.

And Crono, like Mega Man is a cult classic.

Anyone else tho? I don't see it from existing companies. Maybe Monster Hunter rep but I feel that ship sailed with the Mii Costumes.

Golnei

I could see that giant wing Cloud's KH design has being a pain to animate and work out any major clipping problems just for a model swap. Advent Children look by comparison is likely far more easy to have as a model swap.

Maybe - though it's pretty static in Dissidia, and in motion it'd basically function like a cape; I can understand not wanting to change his silhouette too much. A shame that also disqualified Miss Cloud - a new design based on the original model's colour scheme with influences from the Lightning Returns ballgowns would have been a great way to update it.

TDLink

If we were to get a Xenoblade Chronicles X character, it would probably be the player character ("Cross"). That's what they did with Robin when it came time for a Fire Emblem Awakening rep.

I don't think so.

Granted, I still haven't played XCX yet but my understanding is that "Cross" is just an avatar you make that can be any of the classes for maximum gameplay freedom and flexibility and in the story you get to answer yes or no questions.

In FE: A Robin is very central to the story and there are only a few preset options you can pick for appearance. Robin has actual dialogue and is a full fledged character.

My understanding is that Elma is more of the central character in XCX and all of the promotional material around the story definitely seems to indicate that. Maybe I'm totally off base there but I don't think they'd put in "Cross" over her. And even if you don't want to consider her the "main" character, she still has an awesome design. I don't think that really disqualifies her (especially since it's not even really true).

Even if Robin and "Cross" were in a similar situation (which they clearly aren't) I don't think one sets a precedent for the other.

Neiteio

Maybe I'm wrong, but seems pretty damn dark to me. So much so that it definitely isn't just a tan.

Not that it matters anyways, but I thought it was cool that Nintendo is pushing a non-white female as the central character.

Just looks like a white girl with a tan to me. But you're right, it doesn't matter.

I do wonder who'll become the most popular XCX character. Since the main character is an avatar, it'll likely be one of the party members.

TDLink

Just looks like a white girl with a tan to me. But you're right, it doesn't matter.

I do wonder who'll become the most popular XCX character. Since the main character is an avatar, it'll likely be one of the party members.

It really doesn't seem close at all.

Xenoblade X white girl:

latest

Elma:

What may be throwing some people off is that she is still clearly anime-styled as hell. The silver hair and bright blue eyes doesn't exactly make her seem realistic. But this is just something common we've seen with characters in JRPGs. I am fairly certain Elma is meant to be non-white.

SE has Multiple appealing characters and Namco has Goku, but i feel he's never gonna happen, but its sakurai so who knows.

Also what about Sega?

Sakurai will definitely never do Goku, "unpredictability" be damned. He's already stated in the past that every character in Smash has atleast to originate from a video game.

And Sega has the same problem of not having enough famous series besides Sonic. Really, the only reason Capcom has two series in Smash is because Ryu and Mega Man are both iconic legends worldwide. I just don't think Namco, Sega and Square Enix have other series like those besides Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog and Final Fantasy.

kirby_fox

Banned
Sakurai will definitely never do Goku, "unpredictability" be damned. He's already stated in the past that every character in Smash has atleast to originate from a video game.

And Sega has the same problem of not having enough famous series besides Sonic. Really, the only reason Capcom has two series in Smash is because Ryu and Mega Man are both iconic legends worldwide. I just don't think Namco, Sega and Square Enix have other series like those besides Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog and Final Fantasy.

You know...If he really wanted to surprise people, they would add a character that didn't originate in games but has a huge presence in games.

Darth Vader, Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Batman and Superman, Popeye, Mickey Mouse, Goku, TMNT, Tony Hawk, WWE, Harry Potter, Gundam, James Bond, Spider-Man and Xmen, Yu-gi-oh, SpongeBob, or maybe a big sports figure like Madden himself. Remember, he changes his mind to surprise us all the time.

Kjellson

I don't think Elma is neither white nor black, I think she's Asian.

But who cares? I'm totally on the Elma train! I actually voted for her once.

You know...If he really wanted to surprise people, they would add a character that didn't originate in games but has a huge presence in games.

Darth Vader, Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Batman and Superman, Popeye, Mickey Mouse, Goku, TMNT, Tony Hawk, WWE, Harry Potter, Gundam, James Bond, Spider-Man and Xmen, Yu-gi-oh, SpongeBob, or maybe a big sports figure like Madden himself. Remember, he changes his mind to surprise us all the time.

I'm sure he's pretty adamant on keeping it based on video games only. Sakurai's stated the the decision to put Mii Fighters into Smash 4 in the first place was based on all the outlandish Goku, Spongebob, etc requests.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think Elma is neither white nor black, I think she's Asian.

But who cares? I'm totally on the Elma train! I actually voted for her once.

It's surprising how many Japanese designed characters are described as black simply because they have a darker skin tone when it's more likely they are based on the fact that some Japanese (usually from the southern parts) have darker skin.

Pompadour

If he just wants to surprise people he could just throw in public figures like Barack Obama or Vladimir Putin. Just turn Smash into NBA Jam.

kirby_fox

Banned
If he just wants to surprise people he could just throw in public figures like Barack Obama or Vladimir Putin. Just turn Smash into NBA Jam.

Kind of misses the point...There are huge game series that don't originate in games. While he's stated they need to be game characters and originate there, we read into that as many series being out since their origins are outside of it.

But if Sakurai sees reason to put in a character that has huge presence in games, but originates outside...that would be unexpected. Technically, those characters could be seen as being game characters, as the ballot never said they were exclusively game characters.

While I don't expect SpongeBob, part of me wonders if Disney wants to push Star Wars marketing to a crazy extreme...

I'm sure he's pretty adamant on keeping it based on video games only. Sakurai's stated the the decision to put Mii Fighters into Smash 4 in the first place was based on all the outlandish Goku, Spongebob, etc requests.

Or Reggie because of the 100k vote petition to include him in the game from way back. That was cringey haha

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
While I don't expect SpongeBob, part of me wonders if Disney wants to push Star Wars marketing to a crazy extreme...

Jedi Knight costume with lightsaber (blue) and Darth Vader with lightsaber (red) for Mii Swordfighter, Chewbacca for Mii Brawler, & Boba Fett and StormTrooper for Mii Gunner.

It's not serious answer but oh boy I know it might sell very well.

Neiteio

It really doesn't seem close at all.

Xenoblade X white girl:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/1/1d/Trina.png/revision/latest?cb=20150122022838[IMG]

Elma:

[IMG]http://static.tumblr.com/87f3296e7e59c7701e4520f469060bba/n0g7it1/jQWny5miz/tumblr_static_e8l9vcy5q00k0ggoo84o8gk44.png[IMG]

What may be throwing some people off is that she is still clearly anime-styled as hell. The silver hair and bright blue eyes doesn't exactly make her seem realistic. But this is just something common we've seen with characters in JRPGs. I am fairly certain Elma is meant to be non-white.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how we're going to prove or disprove this. I say the renders you posted are "non-tan white person in X" and "tan white person in X." But we can't really tell without the game specifying their ethnicity. Either way, I've known white people who look like Elma in real life (minus the white hair and spiral eyes, of course). It was simply a tan or duskier complexion.

Do you believe that Mihoshi in Tenchi Muyo was black, as well? (On a side note, blast from the past — Toonami!)

[img]http://image.funscrape.com/images/m/mihoshi_of_tenchi_muyo-14140.jpg

RomanceDawn

So with the next game I hope we get all our characters back with at least 10 new comers but I would love if a large portion of the older cast members would get major changes.

Samus, Jigglypuff and Donkey Kong show their age just a little bit and I'd be just as happy with new specials, animations and normals.

Donkey Kong changes:
Side Special - Barrel Throw. It's the most iconic thing Donkey Kong has ever done since his birth! It could function somewhat like a slightly faster, but one-way only Mechakoopa. Plus allow DK to jump on it and ride it like a circus performer, it wouldn't be much different from Wario's Bike.

I love that Donkey Kong uses only his body to attack, if he got things like the Coconut Gun, Bongo Drums as a normal or special or an F'ng banana I would be pissed. I can't stand all of Diddy's jungle gadgets. A barrel throw however is completely acceptable and it would give a lot of utility to DK who normally get's completely overwhelmed by projectiles.

Then we have the Jungle Beat Shock Wave.

Adding this to the side and up Smash may be too good. If DK's hands hit you then you go flying like normal, if the enemy is just out of range they could be potentially paralyzed. I suppose it could function a bit like ZSS's paralyzer but would this be too good? I don't think so if the paralysis isn't too severe, maybe as easy to break out as being put to sleep by Sing.

Either that or maybe DK's mid air ground slap can be changed into this. Instead of slapping downward twice, DK' claps his hands downward causing the shock wave.

I think these 2 simple things would make DK more attractive, more fun and keep him little closer to his main games.

Neiteio

I have no desire to think about the "next" game. Smash 4 is pretty darn perfect. I'm more concerned about them hitting the reset switch again and making us worry about who will or won't come back. Which is why I'm a big advocate of simply using Smash 4 as a base and expanding upon it. I don't want anyone to lose their main.

The thing about giving DK barrels or a projectile in general is that it goes against his general design in Smash. He's supposed to be a close ranged brawler character like Zangief. Ryce made a great write up about all of this

I think DK is well represented as he is. In DKC, he can slam the ground, roll, and well, jump. All of that is included in his SSB design.

I agree about Samus needing a redesign, though. Jigglypuff is an odd case because it's not really her moveset itself that's the problem, but the way Smash 4's engine is designed doesn't suit her very well.

Last time I mentioned DK could use a moveset revamp alongside Samus in a smash thread someone poo poo'd my suggestion in regards to DK.
Really there's so much more he can do than just hit stuff hard which while enjoyable in itself makes him a touch too plain.

Last time I mentioned DK could use a moveset revamp alongside Samus in a smash thread someone poo poo'd my suggestion in regards to DK.
Really there's so much more he can do than just hit stuff hard which while enjoyable in itself makes him a touch too plain.

I don't know, I don't think every character in Smash needs to have some crazy thing going on for them.

It's how I feel when people say that Mario's moveset is "too boring" and he needs to have a bunch of powerups and shit. Sure it makes him more 'interesting' but it goes against the point of his character in SSB in the first place, to be an easy to pick up and play starter character. He's Smash's Ryu
before they added Ryu

It's why I never cared for the inclusion of Fludd. Mario has a simple projectile, a simple uppercut/recovery, and a simple reflector and then he's giving a completely strange and unorthodox special. Mind you, Fludd isn't nearly as bad in Smash 4 as it was in Brawl, but it just feels out of place for me still.

RomanceDawn

The thing about giving DK barrels or a projectile in general is that it goes against his general design in Smash. He's supposed to be a close ranged brawler character like Zangief. Ryce made a great write up about all of this

I think DK is well represented as he is. In DKC, he can slam the ground, roll, and well, jump. All of that is included in his SSB design.

I agree about Samus needing a redesign, though. Jigglypuff is an odd case because it's not really her moveset itself that's the problem, but the way Smash 4's engine is designed doesn't suit her very well.

He slams the ground, rolls, jumps and throws barrels. It is the most iconic thing about him. Giving him a barrel would be no different than Dedede using Gordo's or Waddle Dees. The one projectile won't turn him into a zoner like Link.

And like Nocturnowl said, DK at the moment is just so plain. Since Brawl, the newer characters have such flair in their move sets and mechanics. I figure either one of these little changes could go a long way to making him feel fresh and stay completely true to his source material. Let Bowser and Charizard stay as the close ranged fighters until they get standard fire balls that fly across the screen.

Neiteio

I don't know, I don't think every character in Smash needs to have some crazy thing going on for them.

It's how I feel when people say that Mario's moveset is "too boring" and he needs to have a bunch of powerups and shit. Sure it makes him more 'interesting' but it goes against the point of his character in SSB in the first place, to be an easy to pick up and play starter character. He's Smash's Ryu
before they added Ryu

It's why I never cared for the inclusion of Fludd. Mario has a simple projectile, a simple uppercut/recovery, and a simple reflector and then he's giving a completely strange and unorthodox special. Mind you, Fludd isn't nearly as bad in Smash 4 as it was in Brawl, but it just feels out of place for me still.
I don't remember much about FLUDD in Brawl. How did it change from that game to Smash 4?

Neiteio

Speaking of FLUDD, the Hover Nozzle would've made for a nice extended jump or recovery. Then again, I do like Mario's current recovery: Both a functional shoryuken and a tribute to one of his first actions in games — punching coin blocks!

kirby_fox

Banned
Jedi Knight costume with lightsaber (blue) and Darth Vader with lightsaber (red) for Mii Swordfighter, Chewbacca for Mii Brawler, & Boba Fett and StormTrooper for Mii Gunner.

It's not serious answer but oh boy I know it might sell very well.

Imagine other companies getting in on the Smash costume stuff.

We would get everything from The Simpsons to Dr. Who and Shrek.

I like Donkey Kong as the no-frills manhandler of the roster. The only original 12 character's moveset I feel is lacking is Samus's, mostly because she really aught to be a projectile heavy character but she can't win a projectile war with like, anyone. But that has more to do with her missiles being shit than it does with design I think. I don't know what the hell they were thinking by only letting her have one Super Missile out at a time, it's not like they're any good anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom