• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this talk about DK should get barrels or Mario having FLUDD recovery. It makes me hope Sakurai doesn't drop custom moves for next Smash, we can get something unique like those while keeping the original movesets of the characters.

I'd main Pit if I can have things like Phosphora Bow, Phoenix Arm, and Boom Orbitars for specials.

Custom moves should be tossed into the janky abyss they came from.

EDIT: Mario throwing fireballs straight forward, get the fuck outta here.

EDIT 2: Though I do agree that FLUDD is completely antithetical to Mario's design premise and should be removed. He's designed to be the simple, easy to use character and he's saddled with one of the most obtuse special moves in the game. The ultimate different for the sake of being different moveset change.

If customs are dropped in future installments I do think Mii Fighters should at least have their specials intact. The core concept of Miis is customization so it'd make sense for them.

With Palutena I liked the idea of having unique customs because it essentially represented how equiping powers worked in Kid Icarus Uprising, which all of Palutena's specials are based on. But honestly, with the way the meta for this game currently is, I wouldn't mind if she just had Superspeed, Lightweight and maybe Jump Glide and Explosive Flame as her defaults so she could be good right out of the box.

While we're at it, give Ganondorf Wizard's Dropkick, Dark Fists and Warlock Blade.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Donkey Kong changes:
Side Special - Barrel Throw. It's the most iconic thing Donkey Kong has ever done since his birth! It could function somewhat like a slightly faster, but one-way only Mechakoopa. Plus allow DK to jump on it and ride it like a circus performer, it wouldn't be much different from Wario's Bike.

That really reminded me of Donkey Kong in Brawl Plus or Brawl Minus. He actually have barrel throw as side special It was nuts since it actually shut down some characters' methods to approach so I thought it was kinda too much.

I'm not sure if they nerf it in future update or not.

Platy

Speaking of FLUDD, the Hover Nozzle would've made for a nice extended jump or recovery. Then again, I do like Mario's current recovery: Both a functional shoryuken and a tribute to one of his first actions in games — punching coin blocks!

They should make FLUDD it's own character someday (maybe Egadd using both FLUUD and Poltergust ?) and make like a racoon tail flip or a butt stomp mario's down B

ffdgh

Funny that they managed to replace the fan with an even more annoying item(gust bellows)
Shame the Parasol, cloaking device, barrel cannon(glitch shenanigns mostly) and cracker(no seriously, why?) launcher never came back

RomanceDawn

That really reminded me of Donkey Kong in Brawl Plus or Brawl Minus. He actually have barrel throw as side special It was nuts since it actually shut down some characters' methods to approach so I thought it was kinda too much.

I'm not sure if they nerf it in future update or not.

I've never seen that but I did hear about it. The way I see it is it would function something like the Mechakoopa/Gordo. When Dedede and Jr toss them out it has plenty of lag and is easily punished once you figure that out.

I'm the type of guy that loves DK as an all hands on type of character. I love Donkey Kong games and I love Diddy Kong, but the banana, pop gun and rocket barrel are not how I imagine Diddy Kong. I'm not sure if it's just some irrational hate of DK64 or what, because the way they were included in Returns and Tropical Freeze actually made me enjoy the idea. I see DK, Diddy and Dixie has almost pure hand to hand fighters, like Sonic. I'm so glad he didn't get Magic Hands or some form of Light Speed Dash throwing rings in front of him like Pac Man does with pellets.

Even with all that said however the idea that DK could whip out a barrel at moments notice is all I truly long for with the character. I mean when you think of DK games whats the first thing that comes to mind? Certainly not bananas, it's barrels and lots of em!

Siegfried maybe, Nightmare no way.
Well I don't just say Nightmare because they were a standout character for me, but also because the Soul Calibur team seem to think he's the face of their series as evident by the fact he was the project's logo at one point :p

main_image.jpg

They need to bring Melee's barrel cannon items back. Really dumb those got taken out of Brawl and stayed gone in this game.
I kinda wish the smash 4 items in general weren't a grab-bag of instant death. Back in 64 and melee the only ones you really had to keep an eye out for was the occasional bobomb, mine or someone wielding the baseball bat, the rest wouldn't one-shot you. Now it seems like the majority of the items are screen-clearing train-wrecks. I've gotten 3+ KOs at a time from the drill or gust jar and most people don't even click what's going on in time to shake out of a beetle when they're hit by it.

Neiteio

Yeah, if there's a Soulcalibur character, Nightmare is who I expect they'd add. I'm so-so on the character himself, but he definitely seems to be featured prominently.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Isn't Tekken more popular than SoulCalibur anyway? I'd imagine we'd sooner get Heihachi, especially since he was considered for Pac-Man's spot at one point.

Isn't Tekken more popular than SoulCalibur anyway? I'd imagine we'd sooner get Heihachi, especially since he was considered for Pac-Man's spot at one point.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was outsold by Soul Calibur V. Sales seem to indicate that Soul Calibur is the more popular of the two, though the way the company treats the two franchises seems to hint that they prefer Tekken, and it often feels like Soul Calibur's success annoys them :p

Ryce

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was outsold by Soul Calibur V. Sales seem to indicate that Soul Calibur is the more popular of the two, though the way the company treats the two franchises seems to hint that they prefer Tekken, and it often feels like Soul Calibur's success annoys them :p
You can’t just look at the sales of the most recent entries. Tekken is historically the more popular of the two, and it’s undoubtedly Namco’s flagship fighting IP.

Tekken - ~45 million
Soulcalibur - ~13 million

Platy

Well I don't just say Nightmare because they were a standout character for me, but also because the Soul Calibur team seem to think he's the face of their series as evident by the fact he was the project's logo at one point :p

main_image.jpg

Well ... yeah. But he has kinda a "gross" look that would hardly fits smash.
Siegfried is basicaly the same in a cute package =P

Smash already has Heihachi xD

Platy

I think it is pretty safe to say that a THIRD capcom character is out of the question

...which means is totaly possible

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That was kinda unfair comparison since TTT2 is a spin off game in Tekken franchise. Also let us comparing the sales between Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur V.

Tekken 6: 3.5M
Soul Calibur V: 1.38M

Maybe they were disappointed with huge drop with the sales between Soul Calibur IV and Soul Calibur V so they are neglecting with Soul Calibur franchise right now. I recalled that Soul Calibur VI is rumored to be in the work, right?

Also I would like to mention one more thing; there is no Soul Calibur costumes for Mii Fighter, unlike Tekken franchise did.

Sorry but I don't think Dante is quite on the level of Mega Man or Ryu.

Actually, has Dante been on a Nintendo console before? Was he in either Project X Zone games? I don't remember.

Yes, He's in both Project X Zone games. Also he made a cameo in SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter DS.

I agreed with you that he's not on same level as Mega Man and Ryu. I think it's more likely that Ryu and Mega Man are going to be only two Capcom representatives for awhile.

You can’t just look at the sales of the most recent entries. Tekken is historically the more popular of the two, and it’s undoubtedly Namco’s flagship fighting IP.

Tekken - ~45 million
Soulcalibur - ~13 million
I used the most recent ones because they were the most recent ones and therefore potentially the more indicative of their current popularity :3
If you just compare all the titles then you're comparing a series with 11+ releases (including the tag tournaments and 'extra versions' e.g. Dark Reign) in it to one with ~7 so I'd fully expect the first to have more sales by virtue of there being more of it to buy over the years :p

Well ... yeah. But he has kinda a "gross" look that would hardly fits smash.
Siegfried is basicaly the same in a cute package =P
Heh, it's about representation of the series they belong to rather how cute they are :3

That was kinda unfair comparison since TTT2 is a spin off game in Tekken franchise. Also let us comparing the sales between Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur V.

Tekken 6: 3.5M
Soul Calibur V: 1.38M

Maybe they were disappointed with huge drop with the sales between Soul Calibur IV and Soul Calibur V so they are neglecting with Soul Calibur franchise right now. I recalled that Soul Calibur VI is rumored to be in the work, right?
Well, I used those two because they were within the same year so I figured that'd be more indicative than comparing games that are 3 years apart, I was also (perhaps mistakenly?) under the impression that tag tournament was often seen in a positive light by tekken fans rather than disregarded as a mere spinoff? :eek:

That said, Soul Calibur 4 was released only a year before Tekken 6 so I figure comparing those two would be a better comparison within that time period and it only sold 2.8M to tekken 6's 3.5M so you have a fair point :3

Soul Calibur 6 is nebulous. There's been various hints that it's at least been thought of, if not worked on but nothing outright solid has been found/revealed. After the hodgepodge mess that were Soul Calibur V and Soul Calibur Lost Swords I wonder if people would be wary of a new title in the series though.
Despite giving it my best and even getting top 3 in two scottish tournaments, I heavily disliked the direction they took SCV in: You'll see a lot of people complain about the roster and the story, which are fair criticisms but I could easily look past those if they hadn't gutted the things I like about the series on a mechanical level to try and clone Street fighter. This strikes me as somewhat ironic as Street Fighter V feels more like it's moving away from that stuff and more towards what I liked in Soul Calibur XD

Anyhoo, tangeantial rant about the series aside, the final destination stage looks like it'd be right at home in Soul Calibur anyhoo, so why not chuck the icon of the series in too? ;D

NeonZ

Capcom still has Resident Evil as far as huge franchises go, although that one has the gun violence issue.

That was kinda unfair comparison since TTT2 is a spin off game in Tekken franchise.

And SCV was low budget (or maybe just really mismanaged budget?) and feature lacking compared to previous SC games.

And SCV was low budget (or maybe just really mismanaged budget?) and featuring lacking compared to previous SC games.
Yeah, I'm still not quite sure what went on behind the scenes with that. There was some mention of the huge earthquake having a major impact on development in some manner though, but the whole thing looks like it'd still have been a bizarre mess even without the excuse of a natural disaster :p

Ryce

I used the most recent ones because they were the most recent ones and therefore potentially the more indicative of their current popularity :3
If you just compare all the titles then you're comparing a series with 11+ releases (including the tag tournaments and 'extra versions' e.g. Dark Reign) in it to one with ~7 so I'd fully expect the first to have more sales by virtue of there being more of it to buy over the years :p
But even on a game-by-game basis, the Tekken series has sold better on average.

Plus, the Tekken series has some bonafide mega-hits in Tekken 3 and 5, which sold 8.5 and 6 million copies respectively. No Soulcalibur game comes close to those numbers.

But even on a game-by-game basis, the Tekken series has sold better on average.

Plus, the Tekken series has some bonafide mega-hits in Tekken 3 and 5, which sold 8.5 and 6 million copies respectively. No Soulcalibur game comes close to those numbers.

Yup, fair enough. I had a peek and the highest I could find on (apparently censored site name) for Soul Calibur was SCII coming in at 4.56 and those Tekken numbers are definitely higher, not only that but those Tekken blockbusters managed to get those numbers despite being on a single console versus SCII being on three so there's no excuses. I concede that Tekken outsold Soul Calibur, you are absolutely correct :3

woopWOOP

Whenever I think Soul Calibur I think of that Valkyrie no Densetsu alt outfit from SC2, which makes me wonder why we didn't get a Valkyrie swordfighter outfit yet. She seems to be pretty liked and one of those classic characters Namco likes to cameo here 'n there.

batfax

Whenever I think Soul Calibur I think of that Valkyrie no Densetsu alt outfit from SC2, which makes me wonder why we didn't get a Valkyrie swordfighter outfit yet. She seems to be pretty liked and one of those classic characters Namco likes to cameo here 'n there.

I've been wishing this to happen since I heard Namco was involved in the game. At least she appears in Pacman's taunt.

Golnei

I don't think we'd ever get any Soulcalibur representation outside maybe Mii costumes, but if we did, Siegfried and Nightmare would probably both get in - it's not like having one as an alt of the other is an uncommon practice, considering Nightmare was a costume for Siegfried in Soul Blade and the only playable version of Siegfried was a costume for Nightmare in SCII.

I wouldn't have a problem with her turning up :D

I don't think we'd ever get any Soulcalibur representation outside maybe Mii costumes, but if we did, Siegfried and Nightmare would probably both get in - it's not like having one as an alt of the other is an uncommon practice, considering Nightmare was a costume for Siegfried in Soul Blade and the only playable version of Siegfried was a costume for Nightmare in SCII.
Well, them being alts of one another made a lot more sense before the 'divergence' that happened in SC3 where nightmare broke off and gained a completely new and savage moveset of its/his own. Doubly so if you include something like Night Terror form for a smashball or recovery option :p

edit: I just realised who'd be an interesting extra inclusion from Sega in smash...
Up, down, up, down, chu, chu, chu! :D

Love Dawn's idea for DK having barrels, maybe he can get a TNT one randomly too

It is sad when people just close their mind to new move changes and say 'they can't happen because that would contradict the character's style.' Isn't that the point, to change the style subtly by way of good new additions?

DK having a barrel projectile would be confusing given they're already items, but I guess Diddy Kong has banana peels so whateves.

If he really had to have a projectile I'd probably swap out his headbutt with DK64's Coconut Gun.

RomanceDawn

Sounds like more self imposed Smash rules if I ever saw them. Shouldn't Link be zoning characters out? Why did he get a new move that pulls them back in? Back before the big Smash direct that revealed Ridley in all his glory and DK's new dash, a couple people in here were down on me for suggesting DK getting his roll attack. The reasoning was because DK should only attack with obvious "weapons" that had a different color to his body, like his hands and feet. His hands and feet are easily recognized as hazardous but for some reason since his body was mostly brown it wouldn't translate well into an attack. Yeah you know who you are and I'm sure you could explain it better than I just did.

I mean if it's a brand new game to make older characters feel fresh what's the problem?

Thanks UglyRareCharacter, glad to have someone who appreciates the idea. With my poor editing skills it took forever to put those pictures together... :(

I thought a lot of people wanted DK to have his DKC roll? Especially after Project M. Sorta funny that version's roll feels more like DKCR/DKCTF's while Smash 4's slower but stronger roll feels like how it worked in Rare's DKC games.

So recently, Source Gaming did an article about Master Chief.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/11/25/masterchief/

Honestly? If it were possible Master Chief in Smash would be pretty rad. Halo revolutionized the FPS genre as we know it and was a cornerstone of multiplayer action, and Chief himself is probably one of the most recognizable video game characters out there.

I'm not holding my breath for it due to the whole "owned by Microsoft" thing but if Sakurai could work something out I think it'd be pretty cool. Mario vs Link vs Cloud vs Master Chief. It'd be like a GameFAQs character battle come to life lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also MC's weapons are futuristic enough to pass. With that said I guess we'll get a T rating for the DLC?

Also people kept saying "Cloud represents Final Fantasy as whole!" when that's not the case. Right out of the bat the logo is Final Fantasy VII. This isn't something like Ryu which says Street Fighter.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The special Smash video will be on Christmas day. Will you reject your family just to hide in your room to watch a video off the web?

The special Smash video will be on Christmas day. Will you reject your family just to hide in your room to watch a video off the web?

I'd drag my family with me to watch and hype on the big screen lol.

Edit: crud, top of the page....we love smash okay!?

Eh, screw the duck, it's the carp it's all about. With it being Christmas and not Christmas Eve, there's not even a dilemma here!

cultural differences ftw

Azure J

Also MC's weapons are futuristic enough to pass. With that said I guess we'll get a T rating for the DLC?

Also people kept saying "Cloud represents Final Fantasy as whole!" when that's not the case. Right out of the bat the logo is Final Fantasy VII. This isn't something like Ryu which says Street Fighter.

...for real? Are you really going to say this? How else could Cloud's inclusion be read?

"We're going to take the absolute most iconic face of the franchise and only mean to represent the one title in the franchise he's a part of in a crossover that celebrates entire aspects of gaming and the gaming industry as a whole."

Ryce

That's because Final Fantasy VII is Cloud's first appearance and only mainline role. Ryu's trailer said Street Fighter because he appears in every game in the series. Do you really think Cloud's trophies will be categorized as Final Fantasy VII and not Final Fantasy?

Was Earthbound's trophy segment just called "Mother" in the Japanese version of Melee, or was it "Mother 2"? I know the Mother trophies there were categorized under "Earthbound" in the English localization.

Ryce

Was Earthbound's trophy segment just called "Mother" in the Japanese version of Melee, or was it "Mother 2"? I know the Mother trophies there were categorized under "Earthbound" in the English localization.
Did Melee even have named trophy sections? I thought that started in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom