• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
fenrir is a good starter character as well pop your 2 then 3 if you get jumped while brutalizing just use your 1 and leap away and ult to pull a single target back into your team or tower the main thing for him is to remember to cancel your brutalize if you start to get ganged up on and get the hell out of there

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
they need to tone down the bots just made a new smurf and had to do the tutorial modes and had people rage quit in the joust 3v3 the bots go nuts with CC and do not miss anhur with that obelisk pin mixed with poseidon dropping whirl pool under you then ulting and ne zha blasting in with sash right after poseidons ult and then ulting right in your face the bots wreck new players and do more harm then me smurfing at least i take it easy on people holy christ those bots

Damn that last teamfight was awesome.

fenrir is a good starter character as well pop your 2 then 3 if you get jumped while brutalizing just use your 1 and leap away and ult to pull a single target back into your team or tower the main thing for him is to remember to cancel your brutalize if you start to get ganged up on and get the hell out of there

Yeah he seems pretty easy to use. I like that. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could cancel brutalize.

they need to tone down the bots just made a new smurf and had to do the tutorial modes and had people rage quit in the joust 3v3 the bots go nuts with CC and do not miss anhur with that obelisk pin mixed with poseidon dropping whirl pool under you then ulting and ne zha blasting in with sash right after poseidons ult and then ulting right in your face the bots wreck new players and do more harm then me smurfing at least i take it easy on people holy christ those bots

Heh. I have to try the bots then and see if they are that good, or it's just you being newbies :p. The Ra-bot at least can be beaten with a hand on tied on the back!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
no joke go try them they dont play around on the joust map those poor noobs had no kills and a shit ton of deaths i did just fine but they rage quit out

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I had a joust game the other day where we had a rough start but started making a comeback. Guy does the surrender vote and afk's and while he was afk we kill 2 of the other team and get the last member down to 10% before we are finished off.

Thankfully I havent seen many players that stupid yet. I rather have a bad player that is at least trying than a damn cry baby who wants wins handed to him.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
youll see a lot of that in the early few levels it stops once you start getting into the 25+ games people do not want to be reported for afking

Trying out Freya on my lvl 22 alt account (don't wanna waste Favor renting gods on my main), and it... wasn't going very well.

cj3eEVT.png

After that game the enemy Ao Kuang who went 11-0 messaged me with a better item build and told me to always buy Sprint as Freya. He seemed to know what he was talking about so I went ahead and tried the build he suggested.

gHpgwN5.png

Wow... definitely made a difference.

In that 25-9 game we lost 0-1 at the last second. Our Scylla disconnected right as the game started so it was 4 v 5 but I got fed really early on and snowballed out of control. The enemy team finally wised up and started focusing me and once they were all level 20 my snowball started to peter out. I died right before killing the enemy Aphrodite at the end, which would have won us the game. One of the most heartbreaking losses I've had in a long time.

Man this game is so much fun. Up until now in my first 20 matches or so I've been rolling with tanky support pretty much all the time, usually Geb. But I also like to fill roles to help out the team, so in a recently match we already had a support and were missing out on a Jungler. I'd wanted to give Nu Wa a try for a while, and while she's probably normally mid I'd seen an interesting build for jungling her before, so I gave it a whirl. And I tell ya, it was basically like I was playing a totally different game from before. Clears were kinda difficult at the start and I know that I mucked it up a bit sometimes by either rotating to the wrong camps or just getting a handle on Nu Wa's kit (I accidentally let a few camps restore health while attacking them by fogging, which was a real bummer). But eventually even with our team backed up into our base there hit a point in the game where she really came online, especially since I'd rushed an early Warlock's Sash and gotten it stacked up. And by the end of the game she was a whirling ball of death that could push down towers in an eyeblink. Was really fun to actually play someone with serious late game damage as opposed to just sticking all the tank items that I could onto Geb.

mr stroke

Worth getting into this game if I didn't like DOTA?

Want to get invested in a moba but found DOTA to steep of a learning curve and a bit boring.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Want to get invested in a moba but found DOTA to steep of a learning curve and a bit boring.

it has systems built into the game to help new people to mobas the auto buy and auto level help new players greatly and if you want to ease into the game you might want to try just playing arena mode its team death match to get used to how the game plays other wise i think youll be fine if you have any questions you can drop them in this thread a lot of us check it frequently

edit: warning from hi rez seems d3d11 bug in this patch disable it till they get a hot fix out for it
"There are currently issues with enabling D3D11 in your video settings, so if you see that option in your video settings please make sure it is disabled. Thanks."

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

The game is a lot more fluid and faster than DotA look up some build guides of a hero that looks cool to you and read about the items in them and slowly start to get a grasp on things :)

Try out the practice modes to get the hang of how your character works and don't be afraid of losing at first. The general rule when you don't understand something or what a hero can do is to play it safe and in general keep your eyes on the map.

If you want to get used to the combat the Arena mode is great for that. Hell you don't even have to play the DotA style mode if you don't want to. Though I enjoy it :)

Manbig

A much deserved, and long overdue, nerf. That character was so stupid with that shield. Even if you throw down a creeping curse, she can still easily run in, kill someone, then get away almost for free.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A much deserved, and long overdue, nerf. That character was so stupid with that shield. Even if you throw down a creeping curse, she can still easily run in, kill someone, then get away almost for free.
It only last 1 second. You were supposed to bait it out. If people just mindlessly ulted her and got blown up for it that was their own fault imo. Still 50/50 was too strong. Should have made it 25/25. The current version is ass. Not even gonna be scared of attacking her anymore.

Manbig

It only last 1 second. You were supposed to bait it out. If people just mindlessly ulted her and got blown up for it that was their own fault imo. Still 50/50 was too strong. Should have made it 25/25. The current version is ass. Not even gonna be scared of attacking her anymore.

1s without being able to hit her is just another second for her to spend either killing your squishy, or getting away after an attempt. This was no secret. They hinted that they were gonna nerf the hell out of her shield during the Khumba reveal stream, and I'm glad that they actually followed through on it.

As far as the current version of the shield goes, gonna have to take a wait and see approach with this. It still has the ability to negate and reflect one or two basic attacks, or 1 burst damage ability. More often than not, that's probably all that she's gonna need.

Trying out Freya on my lvl 22 alt account (don't wanna waste Favor renting gods on my main), and it... wasn't going very well.

cj3eEVT.png

After that game the enemy Ao Kuang who went 11-0 messaged me with a better item build and told me to always buy Sprint as Freya. He seemed to know what he was talking about so I went ahead and tried the build he suggested.

It's funny. There was a time where Sprint was considered a crutch by pro players, you were supposed to position yourself better instead of relying on Sprint. Now it's used a lot, to secure kills or to fix gods without good mobility .

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah i never used it till recently was always meditation/level 3 blink or hand of god now i mix it up a little with sprint on gods with no escape like anubis

fuzaco

Meditation is still considered the worst active in the game (expect for assault). You can easily manage your mana early game if you don't spam your spells, and it's not much of an issue once midgame starts, so it's a wasted slot if you get it.

Meditation is still considered the worst active in the game (expect for assault). You can easily manage your mana early game if you don't spam your spells, and it's not much of an issue once midgame starts, so it's a wasted slot if you get it.

I actually don't use it myself, but folks can get a little too elite about this sometimes. Yeah, it's a wasted slot for pro players. But when you are first starting out managing mana can be really difficult. And it does take of bunch of match awareness to learn to use many of the other actives correctly. There are worse things then having a handy way to refresh your mana pool early / mid game in exchange for a "pro" active that you might not be able to trigger off at the right time in any case.

Manbig

its good for when your oom and need to get the fuck out so you pop it then hit your dash or leap

Honestly, you should just about never be in that situation because you shouldn't be sticking around with low mana. I can understand if there's a big team fight and you blow everything, but I get annoyed when I see a teammate (especially Ao Kuang players) stick around with like 100 mana. If you insist on doing that, mana potions are far more worthwhile and won't take away 300 - 900 gold and a precious active slot.

Indignate

Went Aphrodite with Zeus in mid.

"Can you go to a different lane? I prefer to solo." - GameGod4X* (Zeus)

*real name

I switch lanes.

He goes 0-3 in mid in first 5 minutes against opposing teams Zeus.

Quits.

At least 70% of my games have had a disconnect on one side or the other. Most are usually late game, but still. Probably has to do with the lower pool I'm matching with since I'm still new to the game?

We still held our own for as long as we could, but eventually they outpowered us, as is usually the case.

Having a lot of fun with the game though, despite the disconnects. It's a nice alternative to Dota.

Indignate

Yeah, I figured. Just seems a little more rampant here than in other MOBAs I've played.

And speaking of people abandoning games, TB brings up a good point about Hi-Rez ditching theirs after the next project comes along. Hopefully they've moved away from that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This game is actually pretty fun. The controls make the biggest difference for me. I still suck at it like any other MOBA, but I at least feel in complete control of my character while I get stomped on.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've been playing Smite almost every night for 2 years ... Started back when there were like 8 gods or so.

Other DOTA's never clicked with me but Smite I love.

I think its the emphasis on skillshots. Also I used the auto item buy system for my first 3 months or so which helped tremendously. Arena mode is great for noobs too to learn gods. You get more starting money and can experiment with item builds ... In arena nobody cares what type of god you pick unlike Conquest that needs standard mixes (ranged, magic, cc, tank, jungler etc).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Woah that map looks better than everything in the game so far by miles.

or maybe I'm just a sucker for the environment xD

Saprol

That looks pretty hot. Is this what I'm missing when I play on low/med settings, or is the new map just rocking way better assets?

Not sure if I like the default MOBA / Conquest mode yet. It may have anything to do with the fact that I just want to run around as Ymir nonstop. Blink into 3 is always fun. I used to pick Anivia and Invoker a bunch in their respective games when I started out because ice walls are great.

The current free rotation is pretty uninteresting other than Thanatos and usually our team comp ends up needing more crowd control anyway.

Indignate

I'm assuming that the pretty new assets are due to the move to the Unreal Engine.

You mean the update to the UR3 they were running previously? I think that was just for improved performance and functionality, so I don't think that has much to do with it. They're probably just putting more effort into the environment.

Also, showing off lighting effects really helps in making an environment look good.

I'm starting to realize a bit of the catch-22 with these MOBA games with all the different gods. I love how different the gods all play, but once you have started to play for a bit it gets a bit harder to branch away from your usual God / Role and still contribute well to your team. I feel kinda comfortable with my support Geb for the level that I play at, I know what to build and my basic role in the game. Then I tried a bit of support / solo lane Chang'e recently and man did I ever get stomped for like three straight games. I guess that you gotta just take those Ls while you learn something new, but I hate having to hurt my team while doing that.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm starting to realize a bit of the catch-22 with these MOBA games with all the different gods. I love how different the gods all play, but once you have started to play for a bit it gets a bit harder to branch away from your usual God / Role and still contribute well to your team. I feel kinda comfortable with my support Geb for the level that I play at, I know what to build and my basic role in the game. Then I tried a bit of support / solo lane Chang'e recently and man did I ever get stomped for like three straight games. I guess that you gotta just take those Ls while you learn something new, but I hate having to hurt my team while doing that.

As you play more you will find that certain strats cross all gods ... Like knowing when to retreat, when to recall, when to engage/initiate etc. Alot of this is class specific as well in terms of timing.

As you play more you will find that certain strats cross all gods ... Like knowing when to retreat, when to recall, when to engage/initiate etc. Alot of this is class specific as well in terms of timing.

Oh, no doubt, I'm not totally feeding in those games, and it's not nearly as bad as my first few matches. I think that is really has more to due with my mental makeup than anything else. The way my brain works is that while I really don't care about my own K/D/A I really don't want to be the guy who throws the game for their team. Which leads to the prematch trade-off in my mind where I really want to try out new character X, but I know that I can probably help my team the best by just picking Geb. With fighting games I could always just pick a new character, suck, and have it hurt no-one by myself. Here I have more of a team depending on me, and it does stress me out a tiny bit sometimes.

Chang'e is a really cool character though, totally going to be working more with her. I'm learning that my general playstyle is that I really like sustain characters. I don't need to be the big damage Mage or Hunter, I more prefer to create a generally useful tanky or semi-tanky build and be continually present on the map, getting involved in all the team fights and covering other lanes briefly when my teammates go back to base. And Chang'e is really fun for this, her heal spell can keep health up, and that damage avoidance dance is basically like a mini Aegis pendent that you can use every 10 sec with some CDR added. And that rabbit passive is totally not to be underestimated. At the start of the game I can run it back really quick after getting a ward up to nab an extra potion to help my early game. And during the rest of the game I can continually use it to buy the intermediate components to my big ticket items. Meaning that instead of just going back and buying them in big chunks I can stay in lane and also get the smaller benefits of the earlier stages of those items. It's a really cool skill for the way that I like to play.

Liberty4all

Banned

Its the hives. So many games people on my team ignore the hives ... Even vets.

Personally I make it a,top priority to take them down. Especially early game when his cooldown is much higher (thinking arena but conquest too) and mana much lower. He BURNS through mana ... Very low sustain.

In conquest you gotta watch the entrances to the jungle. That's typically where he will try to hide his hives.

Tge other problem is,ranged phys is kinda,broken right now.They tried to fix it with the Quins Sais nerf but speed builds on ranged phys are still too powerful IMHO

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
oooo man my hype for it is pretty high
also not 100% if they are doing anything about patch preview today think they moved it to fridays but i hope we get a little something if they are showing off the map would be pretty great

Still Tuesdays but thye said this week there won't be patch so there is no patch notes. So in exchange, they are teasing Siege. edit: mobile post

Granted, the Qin's nerf was meant to affect Warrior gods the most. It let them build tanky and still do a shitload of damage, which obviously wasn't very balanced. Warriors still wreck my shit in Arena pretty often. Tyr and Sun Wukong are really formidable (at least in Arena, I don't know how they fare in Conquest).

Top Bottom