• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Do most of you guys putting a lot of time into this game buy the $29.99 full pass? or is it not worth it since you end up playing with only a couple characters at one time?

bought it a month after i started playing you need to have it at 30 you should be competent with all gods

Do most of you guys putting a lot of time into this game buy the $29.99 full pass? or is it not worth it since you end up playing with only a couple characters at one time?

I bought it after playing around 30ish games because I found myself wanting to try everyone. I realized that if I were to buy a god individually it just wasn't worth the time or money when I can just have them all for $30. And now I can spend all my favor on skins :D

Liberty4all

Banned
I bought it back when there were only 8 gods or so. It just made sense as I was playing the game daily.

As others have said, to understand high level play you eventually need to master all the gods (take each one to lvl 1). This allows you to understand your opponent and what dangers face you as well as their weaknesses and how to exploit them.

Getting each god to lvl 1 (I started to master them around when there were 30 gods or so, allowed me hundreds of hours of playtime with fresh new experiences.

the 30 dollar pack is totally worth it.

dejan

Been playing Smite almost exclusively for the past couple of days and I'm having a blast. My previous MOBA of choice was SMNC, so this felt familiar at first (direct controls, 3rd person camera), but after a couple of matches my impression was that Smite has way more in common with games like DOTA 2 and LoL. Which bummed me out to be honest, because I never got into these games. And if Conquest would have been the only game mode in Smite, I'd have probably uninstalled it by now. I just like that after a frustating match of Joust, I can cool off in Arena or Assault mode. It might not work for everybody, but it does work for me so far.

Once I made the decision to stick with the game, I wanted to try out as many gods as possible and so I went for the Ultimate God Pack. There's still so much I have to learn regarding the game mechanics, especially in Conquest. I knew about Smite for years, but there was something about the art style that always turned me off. I'm glad, I finally gave this game I chance.

I finally got a chance to try Siege. It's pretty fun — I like it more than Conquest and Assault. Arena has been basically all I've played since they got rid of Domination, so I'm glad to have another short-ish game type to play once again. Assault is short-ish too but I hate how you can't choose your god.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I FUCKING LOVE THE SMITE GUYS hahahaha The tweet and their stream right now is hilarious.

Bnc2erxCEAAXl8Q.jpg:large

Stream title is about C'thulu as well

Liberty4all

Banned
I finally got a chance to try Siege. It's pretty fun — I like it more than Conquest and Assault. Arena has been basically all I've played since they got rid of Domination, so I'm glad to have another short-ish game type to play once again. Assault is short-ish too but I hate how you can't choose your god.

The reroll option they added to assault was a welcome addition.

^ Lol.

I really wish there was a way to see how many hours of Smite I've played. If I were to guess, I'd say I've easily played over 350 hours. I've been playing since 2012, and for the first year and a half I still lived with my parents so I played a lot.

Korten

Banned
Love Smite, imo, Nemesis is my favorite champion, I just love her skill set and I got her Samurai/Ninja skin. I tend to do really good in matches as her, very rare for me to lose a Joust match playing as her.

Love Smite, imo, Nemesis is my favorite champion, I just love her skill set and I got her Samurai/Ninja skin. I tend to do really good in matches as her, very rare for me to lose a Joust match playing as her.

I love it when people refer to the gods as "champions." It doesn't bother me at all but some people go apeshit when they see it, and it's fucking hilarious. MOBA rivalries are so silly.

Indignate

You guys talking about those heroes?

Nemesis is my favorite melee. Artemis is still my favorite range. She just runs everyone over mid-late game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
^ Lol.

I really wish there was a way to see how many hours of Smite I've played. If I were to guess, I'd say I've easily played over 350 hours. I've been playing since 2012, and for the first year and a half I still lived with my parents so I played a lot.

i dont even want to think about it right before they added gold zues i had over 3k games played then a couple hundred more before i stopped playing my 30 when bumbas mask hit and went on to make 227 smurf accounts each to about level 8-10 (so about 20-30 games each) but since siege release been playing nothing but my 30 about 40 or so games all those at a average of 20-30 minutes a game and a few of those older matches lasting over an hour each its a sizable chunk of time

Korten

Banned
I love it when people refer to the gods as "champions." It doesn't bother me at all but some people go apeshit when they see it, and it's fucking hilarious. MOBA rivalries are so silly.

Oh man, I didn't even noticed I did that. I haven't played League recently but I still tend to just refer to all MOBA's characters as "Champions."

I like Dawngate, but hell if I'm going to call their characters: "Shapers."

mr stroke

another Noob question-

Once the match begins should I be going into the Jungles and getting the buffs(XP, Damage, Mana) first, or are you supposed to start killing creeps/other players right away?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
another Noob question-

Once the match begins should I be going into the Jungles and getting the buffs(XP, Damage, Mana) first, or are you supposed to start killing creeps/other players right away?

usually get mana camp before going to lane gives you a nice exp and gold lead

Indignate

Depends on mode and character.

You don't want to be taking the mana camp from someone who needs it (typically if you're supporting). I've notice though that doing casual play nobody really goes for buffs much, at least at low levels.

In Siege, hit all camps right from the get go.

Oh man, I was bummed out that I missed the weekend server tests because I want the rewards. I hope they keep running them until I get home from work!

Tomorrow's patch notes are up:

The Dark Whisperer Patch Notes - 5/14/2014

New Skin - Dark Whisperer Ah Muzen Cab

Skins

Nemesis - Blind Vengeance
- Voice pack added

NOTE: Night Prowler Bastet has been removed from the game while aspects of the skin are reworked. Our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Everyone that purchased Night Prowler will be refunded the gems from the purchase.

General

- Fixed an issue on the store stats tab with Physical Protection showing in Magical Stats.
- Fixed a party match lobby issue where skins and re-roll were unavailable.
- Accolade art is now suppressed if an objective bar is up.
- Fixed missing god kill announcements.
- Fixed an issue in Tutorial where the store couldn’t be closed.
- Fixed an issue with item cooldowns persists in the item slot after selling.
- Fixed an issue with players reconnecting to a paused match not seeing their HUD elements correctly.
- Possible bug fix with people disconnecting during the match loading screen.
- Fixed issue with Ticker on return to lobby.
- Fixed tooltip for all Joust queue descriptions.

Siege

- Added Siege mode to Custom matches.
- Siege towers can no longer be kited into the jungle.
- Fixed an issue with Map Guides always showing in Siege when disabled.
- Fixed an issue in which Siege wins were not appearing on gold loading screen cards.
- New “temp” voice over work has been added.
- Increased maximum player respawn timers.
- Added sounds for siege weapon spawn and death.

Match Lobby

- Improved art pass on draft mode match lobby.
- Fixed bugs with auto-lock in post 2nd ban phase.

Spectator

- Siege Map now features support for a custom sub-level that clears trees and other obstacles for improved spectating.

League

- All in game league screens have undergone an Art pass.
- Changed the points trend algorithm to show a players point trend over 24 hours. If a player is point positive then it will show an up arrow and a down arrow if negative.
- Added new art for all of the league divisions.
- Added Season 1 league rewards. Players will be given a player icon for the highest tier that they completed.
- Fixed bug where friends would not refresh based on switching leagues.
- If you do not participate in the league you will still see your friends that are.
- Friends list now shows division they are in.
- Friends list now shows point trending.
- Increased leaderboard size from 100 to 200 players.
- League queue descriptions have been updated.
- Various season closing enhancements / bug fixes.
- Various updates to league pages on out of game website.

General Gameplay

- All healing reduction abilities on gods should now stack with healing reduction from items.

Gods - Balance/Updates/Fixes

Artemis
- Fixed an issue with the bow showing up purple on the Stalker skin.
- Fixed Boar interactions with players that are jumping.

Bakasura
- Fixed misspelling in lore.

Bastet
Pounce
- Bastet can no longer pounce back while under the effects of crowd control.
- Bastet is now CC immune for 1s after she lands from the initial Pounce. She can still - -- Pounce Back for up to 4s, but is only guaranteed being able to do it for the 1s CC immunity.
Razor Whip
- Casting time increased from 0.2s to 0.35s.
- Damage reduced from 30/50/70/90/110 to 25/45/65/85/105.

Kumbhakarna
Epic Uppercut
- Corrected tooltip error.
- Fixed an issue with Kumbhakarna not dashing when firing next to an enemy Hades during Pillar of Agony.

Osiris
- Exalted One skin now correctly shows red eyes.
- Base health increased from 410 to 475.
Judgement Tether
- Addressed an issue that prevent Osiris from using his basic attack
Lord of the Afterlife
- This ability may now be used while crippled, and provides CC immunity while leaping.
- All enemy gods in the area are now hit, instead of just the lowest health god.
- Can no longer cancel the start up, which fixes a basic attack progression issue.

Scylla
Sic ‘Em
- Corrected an issue with lifestealing. Now only the initial target hit will proc lifesteal on this ability.

Sobek
Sickening Strike
- The healing debuff from this ability now stacks properly with healing debuffs from items.

Thanatos
Hovering Death
- Fixed an issue with getting stuck after firing Aegis before ascending.

Xbalanque
Branching Bola
- Updated tooltip.

another Noob question-

Honestly at low levels you don't need to worry about all the details here. But this is a guide to some of the basic aspects of Smite meta. Might help you a bit with getting some of the basic starting moves down.

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/a-beginners-guide-to-the-roles-and-etiquette-of-smite-conquest-updated-13-5-2014-4401

I'm just a rookie myself, so the pros can correct me here. But if you don't want to worry about all of the above a reasonable start at low level games is to give the blue buffs on each side to the ADC and the solo laner and make sure not to steal too many camps from the jungler.

mr stroke

Honestly at low levels you don't need to worry about all the details here. But this is a guide to some of the basic aspects of Smite meta. Might help you a bit with getting some of the basic starting moves down.

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/a-beginners-guide-to-the-roles-and-etiquette-of-smite-conquest-updated-13-5-2014-4401

I'm just a rookie myself, so the pros can correct me here. But if you don't want to worry about all of the above a reasonable start at low level games is to give the blue buffs on each side to the ADC and the solo laner and make sure not to steal too many camps from the jungler.

Thanks, had no clue about these basics

It sounds like as a complete MOBA noob I should be playing the "Support" role?
The Support
In the current META the support secures mid camps and helps mid lane when needed. The support also protects the ADC at all costs. The support does not "steal" jungle buffs and farm from the jungler, especially not early game. Late game it doesn't matter. MysticBadger has written a great guide about supports

Thanks, had no clue about these basics

It sounds like as a complete MOBA noob I should be playing the "Support" role?

Well in some respects support actually has a lot of work to do, especially at the high levels, you need to be rotating all over the place to protect the ADC, secure camps, and keep up wards. So it is not actually the most friendly role to new players. But on the other hand, at low levels in particular everyone else usually wants to play all the big damage roles and no one wants to pick up support since you don't usually get lots of kills as a support. As such, even though I'm a new player I play support 90% of the time or so. I just like to role fill to help out my team and support usually goes unclaimed.

One plus of playing support is that you usually build support tanky, with lots of protection items. So even if you are having a bad game you will usually be tough enough to not be feeding kills to the other team.

Valygar

So how the golden loading screens work? Do you get them by choosing a golden skin? What are the stats shown, only league mode, all the stats or just the ones for that mode?

I bought the god pack at level 10 and I might buy some golden skin, but I don't think I'll pay ranked...

I love the new skins, specially the cthulu one. But there is one thing I don't like about it, they could have added gods from the myths even of they are fictional, there are cool ones there and we will run out of cool classic pantheon gods.

I fucking love Grab bag. My first match gave me Isis, and my second gave me Osiris. I went 18/0/7 with Isis and 6/1/6 with Osiris. Both matches were wins at 10 minutes.

Just started playing this seriously for the first time a few days ago. Loving it. This is my first MOBA, and I'm very newb. Just been trying to read as much as I can, watch streams, videos and make note of things I do wrong.

I've mostly been playing solo Hades. I want to try other roles, but a lot of people seem to snag up other things quickly, but I really like Hades.

My only deal is that towards the end of the game I tend to get creamed. I don't do any damage, no easy CC, die quickly. I'm not sure what I should be doing in team fights at that point.

I tend to do my best at the start. Usually get 2-3 kills in my lane and the tower down pretty quick.

drotahorror

Been playing so much Smite lately. I hadn't played in about 8-10 months and started up about a month ago and now I'm hooked. Only thing is, I don't play conquest. Ever since they changed up conquest to have a full time jungler (used to not be able to jungle and would have 2-1-2 in lanes) I can't get into it. And every time I play it I get yelled at. I got called an idiot for picking up bumba's mask on ne zha last time I played conquest (was jungling). I know ne zha's passive is good for jungling but even with death's toll it would not have helped me that much with how slow my attack speed was early game.

It's whatever though, Siege is amazing and I play it nonstop after I do my dailies (except for conquest daily and sometimes motd).

Btw, I'm level 30 so yeah people in conquest expect a certain knowledge of the meta. I understand how to rotate and whatnot and what camps to go to at first etc.

Just started playing this seriously for the first time a few days ago. Loving it. This is my first MOBA, and I'm very newb. Just been trying to read as much as I can, watch streams, videos and make note of things I do wrong.

I've mostly been playing solo Hades. I want to try other roles, but a lot of people seem to snag up other things quickly, but I really like Hades.

My only deal is that towards the end of the game I tend to get creamed. I don't do any damage, no easy CC, die quickly. I'm not sure what I should be doing in team fights at that point.

I tend to do my best at the start. Usually get 2-3 kills in my lane and the tower down pretty quick.

Hades is generally not considered to be all that good of a god due to his severe drop off. His sustain is pretty bad. I would suggest trying out someone like Ymir, Sun Wukong, or Chaac. All three of those gods are rather great and are really fun to play. Wukong takes a little bit of practice before you learn when you should and should not use his 3. It was worth it though, because he is hella fun.

mr stroke

Don't feel bad, I am a noob and this happens to me EVERY late game. I get to level 15+ and for some reason everyone smokes me(ranged characters even more so) I try to escape when my HP gets low and they still get me :(

I guess its just an experience thing.

Don't feel bad, I am a noob and this happens to me EVERY late game. I get to level 15+ and for some reason everyone smokes me(ranged characters even more so) I try to escape when my HP gets low and they still get me :(

I guess its just an experience thing.

Experience is definitely part of it. As you learn more of the gods, and generally get better at the game, you will find yourself noticing the signs as to when you should be able to get a clean kill, or when you should be retreating. As a new player, the best thing you can do right now is learn the gods.

Phades

Hades is generally not considered to be all that good of a god due to his severe drop off. His sustain is pretty bad. I would suggest trying out someone like Ymir, Sun Wukong, or Chaac. All three of those gods are rather great and are really fun to play. Wukong takes a little bit of practice before you learn when you should and should not use his 3. It was worth it though, because he is hella fun.

With characters like sun wukong having so many outs and options, it really does make me wonder why characters like Hades have so few while at the same time forcing them to risk themselves through a really long action animation. I get a similar feeling when I look at Sobek and Hercules. Sobek has to dive in and risk himself, while herc doesn't have to at all.

Chaac though, I don't know how people get a feel for him. He is just all over the place with his skills. Ymir is pretty easy though and yet somehow teleporting (blink) snow men just feel wrong for some reason.

Indignate

With characters like sun wukong having so many outs and options, it really does make me wonder why characters like Hades have so few while at the same time forcing them to risk themselves through a really long action animation. I get a similar feeling when I look at Sobek and Hercules. Sobek has to dive in and risk himself, while herc doesn't have to at all.

Chaac though, I don't know how people get a feel for him. He is just all over the place with his skills. Ymir is pretty easy though and yet somehow teleporting (blink) snow men just feel wrong for some reason.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "outs and options?"

Sobek's attack is easier to land, hitting anything in his line and I think goes much further. I've only played Herc once, but I remember his knock up&back being a set distance and not as versatile as Sobek's because of that, although he might be able to hit more than one person?

Top Bottom