• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass launches March 29th

Effect

I don't mess with real looking snakes at all. Doesn't matter if they're real or just look real in a game. To hell with them. Cartoon snakes get a pass and because of the David Wise music I'll be in for a Switch purchase.

rdaneel72

So what is this game exactly? I watched some footage of it when they got it running on the Switch, but that was the first time I heard of it. It looks pretty, and cute, but I have no idea what the gameplay was, even after watching it.

Having played it, I'd say it's best described as a 3D platformer, with a very unusual movement mechanic.

I would also like to know how this game works.

How do you could tell the snake? You move the joystick back and forth to slither? It's a platformer with no jumping?

Looks nice.

Cerium

I would also like to know how this game works.

How do you could tell the snake? You move the joystick back and forth to slither? It's a platformer with no jumping?

Looks nice.
Off the top of my head, there's a button for moving the head up, another for moving the body forward, you control your direction with the stick and you gain speed by moving side to side (slithering). Basically they want you to think like a snake. No jumping, just snake based challenges.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What if videogames were more than just graphics?

:)
HD Rumble support would have made the choice easier. To me smaller games make more sense on the Switch. Each time I launch Steam I see my big games backlog and I can't help but launch these instead of indie titles.

Quite a few games for me in March in April. And the Switch obviously. My wallet is crying.

I mean, I know I don't have to get them all right away, but I will..

Definitely getting this for Switch asap if I can afford it. Game looks great and I can't wait to play.

But dammit if the snake's cold, dead, unfocused eyes don't creep me out. I wonder if there's a chance to address that before release.

Definitely getting this for Switch asap if I can afford it. Game looks great and I can't wait to play.

But dammit if the snake's cold, dead, unfocused eyes don't creep me out. I wonder if there's a chance to address that before release.

I brought this up in another thread, his eyes actually DO moves and look around.

I think the issue is that his standard "neutral" eye position makes him look slightly wall-eyed because of the shape of his eyes and face. If he was just a little bit cross-eyed it would change his focal point to looking right in front of him and it wouldn't seem so weird.

But rest assured, his eyes do track things and he's extremely expressive. One of the devs that posts here, Donkey... Show? Oh jeez I can't remember if it's Show or Punch, but he said that Noodle is meant to look a bit "aloof" so his 1000 Yard Stare might be intentional.

I brought this up in another thread, his eyes actually DO moves and look around.

I think the issue is that his standard "neutral" eye position makes him look slightly wall-eyed because of the shape of his eyes and face. If he was just a little bit cross-eyed it would change his focal point to looking right in front of him and it wouldn't seem so weird.

But rest assured, his eyes do track things and he's extremely expressive. One of the devs that posts here, Donkey... Show? Oh jeez I can't remember if it's Show or Punch, but he said that Noodle is meant to look a bit "aloof" so his 1000 Yard Stare might be intentional.

I saw in the video when he focused on things, specifically coins and his birdie pal, and that still looked a bit off to me. His expression doesn't change to match the speed of his movements or actions. It's like if Slowpoke were moving and fighting like a Hitmonchan but his expression still reacted very slowly to his environment. Right now it just looks like his body is doing its own thing and the head/face/mind is just along for the ride. They could fix this by giving him a random target/point to focus on regardless of what the body is doing

If it's intentional and he's supposed to be aloof, it could still use some refinement. When he's not focused, his eyes do need to cross, but he also needs to blink more often and his eyes have to twitch and refocus a little bit. An eyeball is never completely motionless.

But hey, small gripe. I'm still getting the game =P

I saw in the video when he focused on things, specifically coins and his birdie pal, and that still looked a bit off to me. His expression doesn't change to match the speed of his movements or actions. It's like if Slowpoke were moving and fighting like a Hitmonchan but his expression still reacted very slowly to his environment. Right now it just looks like his body is doing its own thing and the head/face/mind is just along for the ride. They could fix this by giving him a random target/point to focus on regardless of what the body is doing

If it's intentional and he's supposed to be aloof, it could still use some refinement. When he's not focused, his eyes do need to cross, but he also needs to blink more often and his eyes have to twitch and refocus a little bit. An eyeball is never completely motionless.

But hey, small gripe. I'm still getting the game =P

I imagine the majority of the actual gameplay will be from behind Noodle so we won't have to see it very often. It's such a minor thing and when he's not in his neutral expression he looks wonderful IMO but I can't unsee it. It hits this weird middle ground for me where he's not completely wall-eyed but he's also not focused ahead of him. I feel bad even talking about it because everything else about the game looks so fantastic and beautifully animated and it's such a small nitpick.

Dam it!
Now i can't unsee this at all, it is a little creepy at times.
They just need his pupils/eyeballs to move around and look at things more often so that they are not dead centre and forward at all times.
It looks slightly odd when he is being swung around poles and climbing obstacles as his eyes are not focused on where he is heading, and his pupils are dead centre at all times facing directly forwards.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Still day one for switch though!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Someone asked them via Twitter if they planned a boxed version and this was the
response for now:

Ash Richardson ‏@STAVKA_UFC 6h6 hours ago

@liquid_sinister @Snake_Pass @UnrealEngine Physical copy for switch ?? 3rd time of asking
1 reply 0 retweets 1 like

Snake Pass ‏@Snake_Pass 6h6 hours ago

@STAVKA_UFC @liquid_sinister @UnrealEngine No plans at this time, Ash. We're focusing purely on our digital release for all platforms :)

I'm going as purely physical as I can with the Nintendo Switch just because of them being cartridges and for the most part-the beautiful box arts. Zelda, Binding of Isacc, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I mean the box arts are incredible! So while I'll support Snake Pass on the Switch digitally, I'll gladly double dip if they ever do a boxed version! :)

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, the gameplay looks like it's on the slower side. I think that should be fine if people go in expecting ad much. I'm thinking if it as a puzzle platformer, like Max and the Curse of Brotherhood or Braid kinda.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Play anywhere ? Okay then no switch version for me.

If you take "play anywhere" in the literal sense - which I know you're not doing, you're obviously talking about the MS feature -, I love how your post either doesn't make any sense or makes it sound like you hate being able to "play anywhere" :lol.

This "Play anywhere" thing sure makes things confusing now that the Switch is a thing, huh.

Totofogo

Neo Member
Had a few chances to play this at Pax, and even got a free PC key for it at the Kinda Funny panel!

They had the game setup across different platforms, Switch PS4 and PC. Performance definitely suffered in TV mode for the switch with a lower frame-rate, but the devs assured me that it was better in handheld mode. There were three levels available for 'easy' (first level of the game) 'medium' (mid-game) and 'hard' (end-game). They all had similar visual styles, so it seems that there aren't multiple worlds to explore.

What I played was fantastic, far more challenging than I had imagined from watching gameplay. There were plenty of collectables that were well hidden or challenging to obtain, which provide cosmetic changes apparently.

Fun fact: along with David Wise doing the music, turns out the bird's AI is handled by the same guy who did the AI for Spyro's dragonfly! This is Sumo's first original IP, I'd definitely urge anyone interested to give it a shot.

Rear Window

Neo Member
I played this at GDC and talked with the developer a bit. He's an interesting guy, went from biology teacher to game developer. Game is amazing! It's the first game on Switch to leverage UE 4. The physics are fun to play with. It is a lot more difficult than it looks.

The creator got interviewed by some guys from NVidia. Probably online somewhere.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Had a few chances to play this at Pax, and even got a free PC key for it at the Kinda Funny panel!

They had the game setup across different platforms, Switch PS4 and PC. Performance definitely suffered in TV mode for the switch with a lower frame-rate, but the devs assured me that it was better in handheld mode. There were three levels available for 'easy' (first level of the game) 'medium' (mid-game) and 'hard' (end-game). They all had similar visual styles, so it seems that there aren't multiple worlds to explore.

What I played was fantastic, far more challenging than I had imagined from watching gameplay. There were plenty of collectables that were well hidden or challenging to obtain, which provide cosmetic changes apparently.

Fun fact: along with David Wise doing the music, turns out the bird's AI is handled by the same guy who did the AI for Spyro's dragonfly! This is Sumo's first original IP, I'd definitely urge anyone interested to give it a shot.

Thank you for the impressions!

A couple questions about the framerate, as far as you can tell:
- was the framerate stable on all versions (including Switch)? Early footage seemed to show framerate dips on all systems
- what was the average framerate on Switch? 30fps?

maxcriden

Thanks for your impressions! I'm confused about the lack of multiple worlds, I'd thought the final game has several worlds with visual styles like jungle, fire area, etc.?

Cerium

For those who tried it on Switch, I'm curious about image quality since some of the recent footage has looked a little blurry. Was it sharp and rendering at native resolution?

Totofogo

Neo Member
Thank you for the impressions!

A couple questions about the framerate, as far as you can tell:
- was the framerate stable on all versions (including Switch)? Early footage seemed to show framerate dips on all systems
- what was the average framerate on Switch? 30fps?

No problem :) I can't say for sure, but it definitely seemed 30fps on switch vs. 60fps on PS4 (Pro?) and PC. I didn't watch the PS4 gameplay too heavily, and played my last two sessions on PC so my memory might be skewed. Luckily, I'd say its not too big of a hinderance on the gameplay due to its slower nature. Also, the dev said that it was better off in handheld mode, which wasn't available to try.

Thanks for your impressions! I'm confused about the lack of multiple worlds, I'd thought the final game has several worlds with visual styles like jungle, fire area, etc.?

I could totally be wrong about this! The 'easy' and 'medium' levels shared a jungle theme, and the 'hard' level looked fairly similar as well, I didn't play through it though. It may have been more of a forest.

For those who tried it on Switch, I'm curious about image quality since some of the recent footage has looked a little blurry. Was it sharp and rendering at native resolution?

It was definitely blurry on the TV, and colors looked a little washed out, though the games were running on different model TVs. However, again the dev said that handheld was the way to play for this.

Totofogo

Neo Member
2 more bits of info!

I asked the devs about HD rumble, and they said they were interested in it but hadn't had time to integrate it. Depending on the simplicity of the patching process on the Switch, they may look into including it. However, they hadn't felt it to be super necessary / a fit for the gameplay.

Also, the name 'Snake Pass' came from the name of a long windy road near their Studio in the UK!

Top Bottom