• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

gruenel

Some of you people wouldn't have survived the 80s and 90s when there weren't a hundred gameplay walkthroughs and let's plays to watch before playing a game.

Sounds cool but I just want to see what you're describing in a trailer. all the trailers so far have been the player looking at the environment, getting on a ship, then going to another planet.

The game's probably not in a stage where they want to show it off yet. They still have lots of work to do.

mclem

Y'know, I'd like a NMS trailer and/or presentation that's in the Nintendo/Treehouse style where they actually play the game, talk you through what's happening, and give some context for the pretty images it gives. The information is out there, and it sounds interesting - but for the most part, it's not how the game's being sold to us.

Some of you people wouldn't have survived the 80s and 90s when there weren't a hundred gameplay walkthroughs and let's plays to watch before playing a game.

The thing is, I *was* around in the 80's and 90's. Which is why I remember a little game called Explorer. Which was graphically impressive, had a massive environment, a huge emphasis on exploration (as the title might suggest). And... was shit. Really, really, shit.

Which is why I can understand some trepidation about No Man's Sky. What they're showing off - conceptually - really isn't a million miles from what Explorer showed off. And Explorer looked good, on paper.

I just dont want another Destiny on our hands.

I like the idea of harvesting resources, but I hope it's deep enough. I actually would have loved Minecraft-esque resource gathering and building, but it seems the worlds themselves can't be carved out or added onto.

LOLCats

Banned
Explore, gather, upgrade, explore, gather upgrade. Basis for a lot of games a lot of fantastic games.

I think I kinda get what people mean by they don't know what you do in the game now though. The stuff that they have said you can do in the game hasn't been shown in trailers and I guess that is what is making people question it every time they see it.
Is there dogfighting? Game looks awesome, just curious what the weapons on the ship are for.

What else would they be used for? :) That actually was one of the first thing they showed though mate.

Tigress

The game is exploration and goal setting. The overall point and goal is to reach the center of the universe (so think Journey in that sense.) You can try and see a bunch of planets, try and meet a friend to take a picture of yourself to see what you look like, explore planets, buy better ships to speed up your adventure or go on a intergalactic shooting spree, try and find planets no one else has discovered yet so you can be named a founder of that planet.

I could go on... The point is the adventure and choices you make, making your own story and sharing your experience with others. And if you don't understand that, then maybe this is not the game for you.

What I don't get is why all the people asking this question who keeps getting it answered aren't getting this part. If it doesn't sound interesting to you, then maybe it's not for you. Some of us are very excited and just cause you don't understand why doesn't mean we don't have reason. It may just mean that you have a different thing you want out of your games.

MouldyK

Overall, my opinion on the game is still "I don't know what this game will actually be, so will wait until closer to release when many have played it and can actually tell us what the devs are lying about and what is true."

ukpanik

Banned
Needs gold coins on the planets to collect and a princess in the galaxy center to rescue from space monkeys.
Console gamers...meh.

v1lla21

Eat pussay. That's all there is to it. You travel across the galaxy gathering pussay from different civilizations. Galactic pussay eatah.

JayEH

Needs gold coins on the planets to collect and a princess in the galaxy center to rescue from space monkeys.
Console gamers...meh.

Why are you so dismissive who just want to see the game in action? Destiny talked a big game pre-launch and it was quite clear that we didn't get what Bungie promised.

MrGerbils

There are different games that appeal to different people. If the trailers you've seen don't look interesting, and you're the type of person who thinks reading an interview is a difficult task, then this game probably isn't for you. That's fine.

I'll never understand why people feel compelled to come in to threads for non traditional games and just drive by post shit on them, "lol walking simulator."

I wonder if you can customize that ship's look. Looks like an Xwing to me.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be if you ever ran into another player?

Permanently A

I think I kinda get what people mean by they don't know what you do in the game now though. The stuff that they have said you can do in the game hasn't been shown in trailers and I guess that is what is making people question it every time they see it.

What else would they be used for? :) That actually was one of the first thing they showed though mate.

Check the first trailer

Yeah, there are a few vids that show ship to ship combat.

EDIT: E3 Trailer

Oh thanks. I remember that trailer but for some reason I completely forgot that part.

system11

snxvCBq.jpg

Literally LOL'd at this.

Mechazawa

I don't understand why they're so afraid to show something other than a camera panning around an environment with a space flight sequence. That's literally what every single piece of video media for this game has been.

I know pretty environments make for good trailers, but at least show me a digging animation or an enemy to shoot or a bartering system or a stamp collection mechanic or a banana peeling minigame or fucking anything that wasn't in the first trailer.

How hard is it to grasp that this is a game about exploration? An open sandbox open to the player to do as they please.

I know that this is not my kind of game, but is not really that hard understand the kind of game they are making.

I feel that most of the people that seem to be annoyed at what is being shown is because they don't see the game they want to see, instead of what is being shown.

I don't even know what's the game about, in all seriousness outside if the exploring.. What's the objective?

To get to the center.

I wonder if you can customize that ship's look. Looks like an Xwing to me.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be if you ever ran into another player?

Nope. Ships are also generated, but you can only discover them and buy them with a preset look and preset weapon capabilities/speed/cargo space.

shem935

Banned
Why are you so dismissive who just want to see the game in action? Destiny talked a big game pre-launch and it was quite clear that we didn't get what Bungie promised.

While I would disagree that Destiny didn't deliver what it promised that is irrelevant to NMS. The game is at least 6 months out. If they blow out all of their content now they will be repeating themselves later. Also they have provided plenty of examples of what you do in a number of gameplay trailers as well as an excellent feature by gamespots Danny o Dwyer. (probably spelled that wrong). They have made it clear what you do in the game and provided numerous examples. Just because they don't want to show you the entire game right now doesn't mean they won't show it.

I don't even know what's the game about, in all seriousness outside if the exploring.. What's the objective?

They have said that at the center of the galaxy there is something desirable. Not sure what it is. Hopefully it isn't an add for a goddus kickstarter. The systems, npcs, animals, planet enviroments, and general travel all get steadily more hostile towards the center, providing those who seek to go there a difficulty curve they can ride on.

sappyday

This seems like such an odd thing being asked here on GAF. Like if you want to know why not bother reading some articles online? It's been explained many times what's the goal of the game is. Do some of you really need everything spelled out for you in a trailer?

Just bitter because Crash Bandicoot is no show

Fuck Crash. Fuck Jak and Daxter. Fuck those attitude games. Naughty Dog was wise to move away from that completely and leave it to others to continue on the natural path of awfulness. If Naughty Dog continued down that path, they'd become as irrelevant as the Sonic Team. With Uncharted and further, they've finally elevated the videogame medium to be something respected. The general public looks at Uncharted/TLOU and they get it. Real human characters and emotions. Plotlines and character arcs that they can get invested in. Some people just watch others play the game because it's just such a satisfying experience when you don't have to contend with the game-y parts, fiddling with some dainty controller that ruins the immersion. Even Hollywood has come a knocking. Uncharted is one of the most influential franchises ever. Did Crash or Jak and Daxter influence any other developers? Fuck no.

Good riddance.

AwShucks

It's a shame that people now have to be given an objective rather being allowed to do what they want.

This is an odd post. The majority of games have objectives. All I've seen from No Man's Sky has been new planets. It's a legit question to wonder what you actually do or if it's just a fictional nature simulation.

Top Bottom