• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

People seem to get really defensive or annoyed when you ask this, which is odd. But the lack of... showing what you can do in the game... in trailers for the game, justifiably raises questions. Then you get people flying off the handle, "oh you want exp and gunzz, fetch quests and killin shit thats what you want cuz you can't appreciate anything else huh?!" No I want to know what the game is about, is there a story, what do you do in the game. I don't find any of that outlandish. Answering those questions is so tiresome for some people that are following the game more closely for whatever reason, and I don't get why they're trying to push people away from the game. You'd think people would be chomping at the bit to get people hyped about it but most responses are condescending, angry, annoyed, etc. It's bizarre.

Thankfully some people are willing to answer questions.

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers. That is where interest for some people starts and ends. That is a completely valid criticism.

This question keeps getting asked because people see a new trailer, the game looks great, you see the transition between, planet-space-planet and it looks goddamn amazing, but nothing else is really shown... so they ask. On this here forum about games where you talk about games. They are interested in the moment but that may not carry over to tomorrow or the next day so doing a search for past threads or using search engines isn't something that enters their mind because... we're on a forum for discussing games, asking what you do in this game when a trailer just got released and didn't show that isn't some absurd concept.
People get annoyed because it's not hard to read the myriad of previews that websites have given or take a 5 minute break and watch a video with Sean Murray explaining what the objectives are. The question has been answered so many times in NMS threads it's getting old. It's clogging up all NMS threads and there's very little discussion happening, now tell me why it's not reasonable to be annoyed by that? If people's showed some initiative and read about it they wouldn't need to ask.

snxvCBq.jpg
Exactly why I dont fuck with destiny lol

Spineker

Banned
I'm still optimistic about this game but it can take a sudden and sharp turn down Molyneux Blvd. then a left down Spore Avenue and park itself on David Cages lawn in a real hurry

People seem to get really defensive or annoyed when you ask this, which is odd. But the lack of... showing what you can do in the game... in trailers for the game, justifiably raises questions. Then you get people flying off the handle, "oh you want exp and gunzz, fetch quests and killin shit thats what you want cuz you can't appreciate anything else huh?!" No I want to know what the game is about, is there a story, what do you do in the game. I don't find any of that outlandish. Answering those questions is so tiresome for some people that are following the game more closely for whatever reason, and I don't get why they're trying to push people away from the game. You'd think people would be chomping at the bit to get people hyped about it but most responses are condescending, angry, annoyed, etc. It's bizarre.

Thankfully some people are willing to answer questions.

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers. That is where interest for some people starts and ends. That is a completely valid criticism.

This question keeps getting asked because people see a new trailer, the game looks great, you see the transition between, planet-space-planet and it looks goddamn amazing, but nothing else is really shown... so they ask. On this here forum about games where you talk about games. They are interested in the moment but that may not carry over to tomorrow or the next day so doing a search for past threads or using search engines isn't something that enters their mind because... we're on a forum for discussing games, asking what you do in this game when a trailer just got released and didn't show that isn't some absurd concept.

What annoys me is that so many people are asking the same thing in all the NMS threads and it's getting old fast. If you are a gaffer you should really be a bit more in the know about games than casual peeps so looking on the Internet, Reading the previews that have been linked a thousand times in each thread shouldn't be so hard for you lot should it? If my friend who isn't on gaf and only ever plays fifa asked about the game after seeing a trailer then fair enough I'll give him a rundown without being annoyed. But this is gaf asking questions where there are answers right in front of you.

We sit here typing away on gaf and reading lengthy discussions etc but some of you don't have the patience to read what is getting posted by people explaining the game further. Yes some of it isn't shown in the trailers but my god the game is like a year away.

/rant

DedValve

Banned
It's an exploration game. Haven't you ever wanted to just go out in space and explore all the crazy shit out there?

It's pretty obvious they need to better communicate what you do in the trailers.

I actually disagree with this.

I think it's clear they are going for much more of a Minecraft-style model for this game than anything else. They don't need to tell anyone anything more than they already have (resource gathering, upgrades, exploration, get to the center of the universe), they just need to let people play the game and let the players explain it to each other. It's going to be more about sharing experience players have had to convince people to get it instead of telling them "you shoot, you collect stuff, and you explore."

I remember back when Minecraft first came out and completely dismissing it after glancing at the first screenshots and descriptions. "Gather resources and build stuff to defend against monsters at night? And it's suppose to look this simple? Meh" But it wasn't until a friend started telling me all about his experiences with it that I actually understood what the appeal of the game really was. Granted, it still wasn't a game I was interested in, but at least I had an understanding.

It's obviously a completely different form of hyping a game than is usual, and definitely not one that everyone will like. Lots of people want to know RIGHT NOW whether they are going to like it so they can preorder it and play it day zero. And it's not a complete one-to-one comparison with Minecraft either, because that was started as early access (before that was a big thing) so a lot of interest for that game came in the form of the updates that were happening alongside the game. Releasing this game in a "finished" state will be a lot different for them, it's going to have to be strong enough right away in order for good word to spread. It also lacks the user created content aspect, but it seems to be using it's crazy massive procedural generation tech as its way of getting players personally invested in it.

raphanum

Why the f*ck do people read the OP, ignore every following post and write a reply? People that do this, I just want you to know that you look like a bunch of morons when the question has already been answered several posts into the thread on the first page by asking "yeah, what is the objective of the game?" Seriously. It actually makes it easier to pick out those that are intentionally being obtuse.

Raist

Banned
I think similar to the increase in hand-holding in games, people are just thrown off by this because they expect a 2mins trailer to focus on every little bit of detail of the mechanics of the game.

Thing is, their major "selling point" is what makes the game rather unique, i.e a massive procedurally generated galaxy that you can freely explore, so that's what they're focusing on. It's particularly evident when "BTS" videos also focus on the whole system behind it.

A whole lot of information has been given about the game, and it's really not that hard to find. Gamespot had 4 different ~10mins videos about various aspects of the game not that long ago, for instance.

But even in the few very short trailers, there's a lot of information about the basic mechanics if you pay attention:

- Seamless transitions between space and planets
- You can discover and name things like planets and fauna - this is uploaded and shared between everyone
- There is on foot combat
- There is dogfights
- There is both friendly and ennemy AI
- You can find resources
- Said resources can be traded in space stations and trading posts on planets
- You have access to the entire galaxy map for fast travel
- There are portals allowing you to jump between different parts of a planet instantly

I'm probably forgetting a couple, but that's purely from the 3 (4?) very short trailers we've seen so far, not reading any of the articles posted on various websites or looking at the longer "feature" videos. Yet there seems to be a lot of people watching these trailers and coming to the conclusion that it's a "walking simulator".

Overall they don't want to say too much about the game, we know that, so the fact that the information they give is not "in your face" isn't surprising.
For a game about exploring an entire unknown galaxy, never quite sure what you're gonna find next, I think this is fitting and consistent with the overall theme of the game.

DedValve

Banned
Why the f*ck do people read the OP, ignore every following post and write a reply? People that do this, I just want you to know that you look like a bunch of morons when the question has already been answered several posts into the thread on the first page by asking "yeah, what is the objective of the game?" Seriously. It actually makes it easier to pick out those that are intentionally being obtuse.

Possibly because there is still a value in continuing the discussion?

Lucent

I guess I'm just cautious about any game that stays really quiet. After Destiny giving a general idea of what you do but not really revealing its extent, and finding out that they were just the same mission every time on every planet, of course I'm gonna be cautious and curious. I've read everything people listed about what you do in general in NMS, but is it really going to be something you're gonna wanna keep doing long enough to reach the center? That's what I'm wondering.

But I guess it's pointless to keep thinking about it until they get a release date and stuff.

GHG

Possibly because there is still a value in continuing the discussion?

How so? The question has already been answered multiple times.

If people need a marker to tell them what to do and where to go them this clearly isn't the game for them since the primary mechanic of the game is centered around exploration.

Also, in a game like this why would you want to ruin the experience for yourself by reading about everything you can do before you play it?

whoszed

It's a shame that people now have to be given an objective rather being allowed to do what they want.

It's not necessarily about being given some task to do, it's about having some way that the player could actually interact with the game and not just fly around touring planets. Like to me the game looks like a cool art project at the moment. Which is neat but not really something I'd put a ton of time in.

Ansatz

What annoys me is that so many people are asking the same thing in all the NMS threads and it's getting old fast. If you are a gaffer you should really be a bit more in the know about games than casual peeps so looking on the Internet, Reading the previews that have been linked a thousand times in each thread shouldn't be so hard for you lot should it? If my friend who isn't on gaf and only ever plays fifa asked about the game after seeing a trailer then fair enough I'll give him a rundown without being annoyed. But this is gaf asking questions where there are answers right in front of you.

We sit here typing away on gaf and reading lengthy discussions etc but some of you don't have the patience to read what is getting posted by people explaining the game further. Yes some of it isn't shown in the trailers but my god the game is like a year away.

/rant

The content and tone of the reveal trailer put me off, I just ignored the game from that point and seeing people being excited over arbitrary level design is just depressing.

But I did enter this thread as I was curious if there truly was something there. I'm not supposed to read up on the game to see if it has any basic compponents a video game should, it should be apparent in the footage. Not buying this game no matter how the end product is because I don't like to support this direction gaming is taking.

Lucent

There's plenty of info out there man. Do you want me to google it for you?

I'm thinking people would like an actual demonstration of these things being done. So far all they've shown of what we know is get in ship, fly off into space, fly into another planet and land, look around, get back in ship without actually doing anything, and fly back off into space. lol

But I guess since they're so small it's gonna take them awhile before they can show anything more. And I guess at least they're not gonna pull a Peter Molyneux (hopefully) and talk about stuff before it's there.

MMaRsu

Banned
Aside from fly around and look at all this procedurally generated content I mean.

Where's the game? Does it have a Minecraft aspect to it? Is it a god game? Is there fighting? Is there an economy and trading? For the past 8 months all we've heard about it is how it's infinite and procedurally generated.

Like, I don't know, am I the only one skeptical about this game? Why are they holding out on talking about gameplay?

Wow jesus

Are people this ignorant or dumb on purpose?

How bout you read an interview with the devs or something.

After all those posts in every NMS thread now here comes the thread : I dont understand game X.

Not thread whining just saying jeez

Card Boy

Banned

The poster you are quoting is not wrong. There is literally nothing shown in the videos, also how deep the stuff in post 16 remains to be seen. In fact all the stuff in post 16 sounds abit barebones.

Show me one video of someone just playing the game and doing things instead of flying through procedurally generated space/planets. So far it just looks like a game where you look at things all day and occasionally shoot things for no reason. Where is the story - what is the purpose?

Ferr986

Show me one video of someone just playing the game and doing things instead of flying through procedurally generated space/planets. So far it just looks like a game where you look at things all day and occasionally shoot things for no reason. Where is the story - what is the purpose?

Theres no story other than going to the center to the galaxy. Theres no purpose other than do what you want. If you expect a story driven and guided game, then yeah, this is not for you. But that doesnt mean theres no game inside of this.

DedValve

Banned

center of the universe in that other thread on the front page with a boatload of information.

Rainmaker

Banned
I love to explore in video games. I can even use my imagination and make my own fun in it! They're giving me a... sandbox. The trailers show a good deal and the game still has a ways to go. But on the other hand, I also read the info out there about the game.

GHG

Yep, thats what Gaf wants. Look at the Zelda Gameplay Thread. v_v

We live in a time where there's a group of gamers who would prefer to watch other people play a game on YouTube rather than play and discover themselves.

Sad times. No surprises allowed.

I'm thinking people would like an actual demonstration of these things being done. So far all they've shown of what we know is get in ship, fly off into space, fly into another planet and land, look around, get back in ship without actually doing anything, and fly back off into space. lol

But I guess since they're so small it's gonna take them awhile before they can show anything more. And I guess at least they're not gonna pull a Peter Molyneux (hopefully) and talk about stuff before it's there.

Or they don't want to spoil everything for everyone.

Saganator

Are people just ignoring the other thread with tons of information on the game? NMS is obviously not a game for everyone. With all the information and videos that has been released, if you aren't sold on the game yet, you probably never will be.

dalin80

Banned
Another NMS thread, another group of people either ignorance trolling or are just to plain stupid to grasp that not every game is a scripted, linear cutscene-fest and some of us actually want a game that has a degree of freedom. Not to mention that most of the key gameplay features have been posted over and over and over and over again.

SPOCK-KIRK_zps42ce7252.jpg

Another good day to be an Explorer spock... what was our mission again?

spock_2267_zpsb7c3535e.jpg

To explore Strange new worlds sir.

capt-kirk_yellowCU-001_1196284873_zps4e834675.jpg

Worlds? But aren't they all the same, just round and different colours and shit?

Yes sir, logic dictates that most planet are indeed 'round' and have different 'shit on them'.

capt-kirk_yellowCU-001_1196284873_zps4e834675.jpg

But, spock you know the lack of clearly defined linear progress marked off by check points and achievements scares me.

That's OK, sir, I will hold you.

star_trek_tos_kirk_phaser_zps67ca1e43.jpg

Nope, too scary let's go back and play CoD.

BouncyFrag

We live in a time where there's a group of gamers who would prefer to watch other people play a game on YouTube rather than play and discover themselves.

Sad times. No surprises allowed.

You can see the reluctance in Sean Murray's face when ever he's talking about the game because he wants it to be a fresh, new experience. If anything, I've seen too much of the game already and can't wait.

Lucent

Or they could still show gameplay without spoiling "everything". Besides, it's all randomly generated, how can they spoil it? I just meant show the basic gameplay. If that spoils the game for people then it's not a very good game, IMO.

Also I think the other aspects of the game are quite rare to be part of a short preview. We've seen recorded clips of finding resources/new species, dog fights in space, and attacking robots on planets. But Hello Games haven't made a universe full to the brim with resources and where every living thing hates you and wants you dead so it's difficult to get that in a 5 minute live preview of procedurally generated universe.

dalin80

Banned
Or they could still show gameplay without spoiling "everything". Besides, it's all randomly generated, how can they spoil it? I just meant show the basic gameplay. If that spoils the game for people then it's not a very good game, IMO.

Sigh.

I think Hello games should just give up on trying to explain things now, it's clear that those who don't want to understand simply never will.

Raist

Banned
The content and tone of the reveal trailer put me off, I just ignored the game from that point and seeing people being excited over arbitrary level design is just depressing.

But I did enter this thread as I was curious if there truly was something there. I'm not supposed to read up on the game to see if it has any basic compponents a video game should, it should be apparent in the footage. Not buying this game no matter how the end product is because I don't like to support this direction gaming is taking.

From just three trailers, if reading is really that hard:

Find resources:

screenshot2014-12-07ajdz0i.png

Trading:

screenshot2014-12-07ausaqc.png

Dogfights:

screenshot2014-12-07a64zly.png

screenshot2014-12-07abnzfs.png

Land combat:

screenshot2014-12-07aefy4f.png

Discovering and sharing:

screenshot2014-12-07afpy4h.png

Planet portals:

screenshot2014-12-07aafz92.png

GHG

If a game is based around exploration and figuring things out for yourself then yes, showing gameplay might well spoil it for some people.

They will show more if and when they want to. If the hook of the game (unlimited exploration) doesn't interest you enough then its probably not for you anyway.

Lucent

Sigh.

I think Hello games should just give up on trying to explain things now, it's clear that those who don't want to understand simply never will.

It's not that I don't want to understand. That makes no sense at all. But I guess people who are already in love with a game and hyped for it prefer to act as if people who don't get it are ignorant and aren't trying or are just asking questions simply to troll or be annoying. Not what I'm doing.

If a game is based around exploration and figuring things out for yourself then yes, showing gameplay might well spoil it for some people.

They will show more if and when they want to. If the hook of the game (unlimited exploration) doesn't interest you enough then its probably not for you anyway.

It's not that I'm not interested in that, it's just that it hasn't exactly been something I've found to have been pulled off very well in the past.

dl77

Me whenever I go into yet another No Man's Sky thread by people who haven't bothered looking through the 50 other ones...

tqzGqEg.jpg

From just three trailers, if reading is really that hard:

Find resources:

screenshot2014-12-07ajdz0i.png

Trading:

screenshot2014-12-07ausaqc.png

Dogfights:

screenshot2014-12-07a64zly.png

screenshot2014-12-07abnzfs.png

Land combat:

screenshot2014-12-07aefy4f.png

Discovering and sharing:

screenshot2014-12-07afpy4h.png

Planet portals:

screenshot2014-12-07aafz92.png

You forgot discovering caves, animals and ruins.

You're doing good work, but it's sad it's come to this...truly sad.

Onyar

The question is not what you have to do in this game, the question is how you will get fun with the game.

GHG

You forgot discovering caves, animals and ruins.

You're doing good work, but it's sad it's come to this...truly sad.

This thread is a demonstration of why we have things like overblown HUD's and handholdy game design in the vast majority of games these days.

I get the feeling that if people were thrown into a game like morrowwind these days they wouldn't have a decking clue and would dismiss the game as being shit when they get killed by a enemy 10 levels above them.

Lucent

I can see the OT for this being "Ya just don't get it, man" by the way people talk in this thread to people who aren't satisfied with what we've been shown.

Top Bottom