• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what do you DO in No Man's Sky?

Yopis

You'd still have people asking what do you do, what's the goal, how will it keep my attention and not become boring.

Well, you only need to look at FO3 and New Vegas to see how true that is. NV is as close as we'll ever get to that Morrowind style gameplay and it's essentially the unwanted child compared to FO3, which is far more accessible and guided in how it plays.

Sad but true NV was one of my favorites. HC mode was awesome.

MouldyK

Reposting as my question never got answered the first time, even though people said to ask away.

Question 1: Have they shown off worlds with cities yet? Are there different races in this Galaxy that we can interact with who are not other players?

Because all these planets and not a single world which is like earth seems a bit farfetched. Like, where did we get the technological knowhow to build a spaceship?

Personally, I get it, finally...

Most potential consumers aren't going to dedicate that level of time or effort you mention. Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is. They shouldn't have to go out of their way or do extensive research to find out something as simple as the basic, general premise of the game. They shouldn't have to put forth deep thought in order to extrapolate such simple info from a trailer.

Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something so seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?

The trailers show exactly what the game is about, starting off in some random corner of the universe and exploring uncharted territory. Sure there is more to it but at it's core that's what the game is about. I don't think most consumers need to know exact specifics of the game mechanics to be interested and those that do want to know can easily find the information in one of the many formats it has been presented.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But why is there so much ambiguity in the first place? Ask yourself, why are we having this discussion at all? Like I already said, we don't have this discussion for every other game that is announced or shown. That would be a nightmare. But this particular game does for some reason. And there is a reason. It's not for nothing.

And to eliminate any confusion, I understand the point of the game. I am not questioning it. I think it sounds pretty neat. I'm speaking for those who don't.

To be fair it's pretty clear this is a niche game aimed at the hardcore crowd. It this doesn't need marketed the same way as major releases going for the core gamer market. The hardcore take the time to watch videos and read up in games and revel in playing stuff that more casual gamers don't (see post from dalin80 above, for example).

dalin80

Banned
But why is there so much ambiguity in the first place? Ask yourself, why are we having this discussion at all?

There isn't any ambiguity, it's all quite simple and laid out in many videos. Unfortunately many people are lazy and stupid so it gets missed, trolls then jump on this and repeatedly post about it.

-PXG-

Most other games are generic shooty bang bang, generic drivey race vroom or generic fighty fist in face games that have been seen regurgitated a billion times over. The vast majority don't even need trailers, we already know what assassins creed 65 will play like so they dont need to debate or discuss.

The style and gameplay of NMS was seen in the very first trailer and it has been very obvious since very early on as to what the game is about, if people are too dependant on hand holding, scared of non linear games or are too ignorant to do a moments thinking then frankly I'm glad they wont be flying around in the same galaxy as the rest of us.

I hope you don't work in marketing or work as a community manager. God damn....That's rough, lol

Amir0x

Banned
Reposting as my question never got answered the first time, even though people said to ask away.

Question 1: Have they shown off worlds with cities yet? Are there different races in this Galaxy that we can interact with who are not other players?

Because all these planets and not a single world which is like earth seems a bit farfetched. Like, where did we get the technological knowhow to build a spaceship?

Sean Murray has been intentionally coy on this point, saying he doesn't want to spoil the story. He did say in the latest PSX interview that there is "alien technology" all around, and part of the game is figuring out what that's all about. And there is a great master something or other at the center of the universe trying to keep the balance of the ecosystems. Why? Who built that system? Plot spoilers, they're not going to tell us that.

We have seen planets with alien technology on it, but not civilizations proper yet. Even in a universe our size, it is perfectly debatable how frequently that would happen. So it wouldn't disappoint me if there were rarely any civilizations.

To this thread

1253886001_office-no.gif

The point of the game and it's mechanics have been explained so many times that a little research will answer your questions.

Moongazer

Personally, I get it, finally...

Most potential consumers aren't going to dedicate that level of time or effort you mention. Most consumers aren't like you, me or anyone on GAF. They should be able to watch a trailer or two, and maybe read a brief summary to get a good feel about what the game is. They shouldn't have to go out of their way or do extensive research to find out something as simple as the basic, general premise of the game. They shouldn't have to put forth deep thought in order to extrapolate such simple info from a trailer.

Again, that just clearly says the devs aren't good at doing something so seemingly easy as outlining the very point of their game. Every other game does it. We don't see this discussion or this debate with other games now, do we?
The trailers do enough to show what the game is which is basically space exploration with a bit of combat in a big sandbox universe. The game has a lot more and there is info out there for people who want to dig deeper, but it seems that the exploration part is what the devs are currently wanting to show and focus on and that is what we have been seeing in the trailers and footage so far.

Do people want a story trailer or something? Do people want them to show gameplay elements that maybe aren't finished or implemented yet just for the sake of it?

Amir0x

Banned
So did people just not read the game informer thread that was up on the front page for like 3 days?

everything must be seen in two minute trailers or else

the funny thing is if you want the type of full explanation walkthrough videos (because you're too lazy to read an article), they're almost certainly coming. But those types of videos tend to come out when a game is much closer to being released. The game is still a ways off. As it stands, we already have a shitload of information that is WAAAY above the bar for most games announced only a year ago.

Bl@de

So you're fully buying into the Peter Molyneux style of development, I get it.

I think for a lot of us, we're just more cynical about developers that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. None of what they've been TALKING about has actually been shown properly in videos (Again, all of you defenders out there: It was NOT shown AGAIN during yesterdays panels - Which very much makes me believe that all they have is indeed still just a tech demo, not a real game).

How exactly will the crafting work? How will the trading work? How will the farming of resources work? You don't know, cause you've just been TOLD that these features will be in there, yet you've never seen them.

Remember Molyneux telling you that you'll be able to plant a tree and see it grow? Same thing. You're buying it. Most people here on GAF don't.

Being a developer, again, my bullshit detector goes crazy when it comes to what's happening here. I just don't understand why they're making all these promises that they'll most likely not be able to fulfill (And I think after working in this industry for like 10+ years gives me some credibility).

Again, procedural generation has been around for a while (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyyUiYQolA#t=240) and it's not something extremely challenging to do, technically (although, granted, their results do look nice, even though there's lots of popping), but the issue always boils down to: Can you actually interact with all this stuff? How do you actually craft an 'infinite universe' while making sure that there's gameplay there?

I bet my balls that most of you - who are very, very, very excited about what they're seeing here - would NOT be happy about a Space Proteus. You're expecting Space Minecraft and Space Minecraft it is not. And it never will be.

TL;DR Version
no-man-s-skyhwckw.jpg

If the devs have been as clear about explaining the game's premise as you so claim, then why do people continue as to ask such basic questions about it, this far after it being announced? You don't see that happen with other games. To me, that illustrates they have done an exceptionally poor job at truly showing their game and telling us what it's really about.
Because people are way too fucking lazy to use Google?

Shengar

If only more people plays Space Rangers 2: The Rise of the Dominators, they would've already understood all the gameplay from the trailer alone and this thread wouldn't exist.

Maybe they should show the actual gameplay instead of landing on a random planet. Walk around for 5 seconds and fly to the next planet in the trailers.

Ansatz

As stated in several videos and in numerous threads and from Hello games many times-

You can explore however the fuck you want, you don't even need to get to the centre if you don't want to but the ship and equipment you start with is pretty basic and as you get closer to the centre the enemies you encounter become harder. gathering resources, exploring and combat earn you resources to upgrade. We have seen a galaxy map in the trailer which is used to warp around to travel between solar systems.

Comparing an open world free roaming exploration game to a linear scripted TPS is probably what is causing you some confusion.

Yes you can upgrade, but sometimes in games upgrade systems are there for the sake of it. It's a cosmetic aspect that has little to no mechanical impact.

I'm asking what is the purpose of upgrading. In Roller Coaster Tycoon you invest money in research, which in turn upgrades your rides. These upgrades can for example add higher intensity or excitement rating than previously possible, which in turn draws new audiences to your park who demand them, which can result in growth. Investing is a risk because I could end up wasting money if I'm not careful, maybe the research is useless or the ride I built cost too much and thus will take ages before I profit.

The point: achieve financial growth.
How: invest money earned into research.
Risk: have the opposite effect, set me back if I don't plan carefully.

Is there something similar here, are my upgrades taking me to planets otherwise not accessible? Does it work like in Metroidvania, you gain an upgrade such as double jump which allows you to progress? So I gather resources from planets, use them to buy anti acid shield, go to acid planet, find a ship part there that in turn allows me to reach the center. Something like that?

-PXG-

I think for a lot of us, we're just more cynical about developers that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. None of what they've been TALKING about has actually been shown properly in videos (Again, all of you defenders out there: It was NOT shown AGAIN during yesterdays panels - Which very much makes me believe that all they have is indeed still just a tech demo, not a real game).

How exactly will the crafting work? How will the trading work? How will the farming of resources work? You don't know, cause you've just been TOLD that these features will be in there, yet you've never seen them.

Remember Molyneux telling you that you'll be able to plant a tree and see it grow? Same thing. You're buying it. Most people here on GAF don't.

Being a developer, again, my bullshit detector goes crazy when it comes to what's happening here. I just don't understand why they're making all these promises that they'll most likely not be able to fulfill (And I think after working in this industry for like 10+ years gives me some credibility).

Again, procedural generation has been around for a while (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyyUiYQolA#t=240) and it's not something extremely challenging to do, technically (although, granted, their results do look nice, even though there's lots of popping), but the issue always boils down to: Can you actually interact with all this stuff? How do you actually craft an 'infinite universe' while making sure that there's gameplay there?

I bet my balls that most of you - who are very, very, very excited about what they're seeing here - would NOT be happy about a Space Proteus. You're expecting Space Minecraft and Space Minecraft it is not. And it never will be.

This is the point I'm trying to make.

Thank you.

pastrami

But why is there so much ambiguity in the first place? Ask yourself, why are we having this discussion at all? Like I already said, we don't have this discussion for every other game that is announced or shown. That would be a nightmare. But this particular game does for some reason. And there is a reason. It's not for nothing.

And to eliminate any confusion, I understand the point of the game. I am not questioning it. I think it sounds pretty neat. I'm speaking for those who don't.

At this point, I think it's because people are being willfully ignorant. The information is out there, and it's not hard to find. We have videos of showing off ship to ship combat, exploration, flying between planets, warping to different parts of the galaxy, portals on planets, the variety of wildlife and planets, and hints of resource collection. The game was the COVER story for the third largest magazine in circulation in the US (top 2 are AARP based). We've had multiple threads and multiple posts. Anyone still wondering what this game is about, and what you do in it has to be completely ignorant at this point. There's no other excuse.

For the record, I'm not saying people can't wonder what they do in the game. But do a little research. It's incredibly easy to find. Otherwise, should I make a thread about Captain Toad and how I don't know what you do in the game? Because I don't know what you do in the game, but I also haven't done any research on the subject. I am ignorant on Captain Toad. Ignorance doesn't give people free reign to make pointless threads like this.

Amir0x

Banned

Thank you.

No it wasn't, it's the nonsense point you decided to hang your hook on - already deconstructed last page for the nonsense it was - and it bares little similarity to anything you've been saying on this page.

His argument was that NMS devs are promising these things that we have no way to know if they're delivering on and people who are excited are getting overhyped due to it, wherein they haven't demonstrated all those features in video form yet.

Your argument up until now was that people were confused about NMS because they haven't explained what goes on clearly at all, and that they should show more videos to do that.

Shengar

I can assure you, nobody is as cynical as me. Anybody who has been on neoGAF more than six years knows my critical history. If No Man's Sky was doing something I thought was worth being skeptical about, I'd be with you.

But it's not. Other than their big idea - which they've already clearly executed - everything else is relatively simple and there's no reason I should doubt it, as it's stuff that has been done in indies, in AAAs, in games every size large and small.

If a Russian developer already able to pull this 10 years ago with definitely smaller budget but no way smaller in scale , I can't see any reason to call No Man's Sky as Peter Molyneux bullshit.

Oh, by the way this game I linked about, have almost similar feature to No Man's Sky, only with reduced dimensional scale (3D to 2D/sprite).

Amir0x

Banned
If a Russian developer already able to pull this 10 years ago with definitely smaller budget but no way smaller in scale , I can't see any reason to call No Man's Sky as Peter Molyneux bullshit.

Because it's a convenient way to scapegoat a developer without actually having to think for yourself.

The people saying NMS is being Peter Molyneux'd are hilarious and have literally no perspective.

I agrere with your point, but in your video the dude mentions how idsoftware games are vapid technology showcases. Which means, he has horrible taaste in video games.

Thank you.

This whole quoted post makes no valid points though. Not in relation to No Man's Sky anyway.

And the user just has some strange beef with NMS, even going so far as to say that they could recreate NMS in a few weeks.

-PXG-

No it wasn't, it's the nonsense point you decided to hang your hook on - already deconstructed last page for the nonsense it was - and it bares little similarity to anything you've been saying on this page.

His argument was that NMS devs are promising these things that we have no way to know if they're delivering on and people who are excited are getting overhyped due to it, wherein they haven't demonstrated all those features in video form yet.

Your argument up until now was that people were confused about NMS because they haven't explained what goes on clearly at all, and that they should show more videos to do that.

Uh....actually...this was also part of my argument too, bud.

Don't tell me what the fuck I meant and try to get in my head. I know damn well what I was trying to say.

I REALLY have to quote myself. Okay, HERE

The fact that it's taken THIS long to find out what the hell you actually do in this game says a lot. No disrespect, but it's a huge failure on the dev's part for not clearly articulating something so simple as what the point of the game is and what players do in it. Over and over, all we've seen are trailers of you just walking or flying around aimlessly, without purpose or reason. Why have they waited until now to explain the overall point? Why are devs so inept and so incapable when it comes to explaining their own games?

This is precisely why I never understood the hype and excitement. Now that we do know a little more on what do, sure, it sounds interesting. I just think folks should keep their hype in check or else they will be thoroughly disappointed.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Are there going to be black holes in the game? I'd spend hours just going in to see what happens

just like interstellar , is there a book shelf in it :p

I'm still having mixed feelings about the game

Amir0x

Banned

Don't tell me what the fuck I meant and try to get in my head. I know damn well what I was trying to say.

Ok next time we'll play imagine what's going on in PXG's head so you can conveniently hang your hook on whatever poster puts in more time and effort than you so you can pretend they're making the same points you are.

Or I'll just read more of your crap because you can't admit you were just wrong:

-PXG- said:
The fact that it's taken THIS long to find out what the hell you actually do in this game says a lot.

It hasn't.

-PXG- said:
No disrespect, but it's a huge failure on the dev's part for not clearly articulating something so simple as what the point of the game is and what players do in it. Over and over, all we've seen are trailers of you just walking or flying around aimlessly, without purpose or reason.

The devs have clearly articulated what the point of the game is. Here we can all see you're implying they just need to show it in the trailer.

-PXG- said:
Why have they waited until now to explain the overall point? Why are devs so inept and so incapable when it comes to explaining their own games?

Once again they haven't waited this long to explain the overall point, we've known most of this stuff for six months now. Note: the game was only announced a year ago.

So, no inept devs, no incapability of explaining their own games. Nonsense hill is getting higher and larger.

-PXG- said:
This is precisely why I never understood the hype and excitement. Now that we do know a little more on what do, sure, it sounds interesting. I just think folks should keep their hype in check or else they will be thoroughly disappointed.

So, all of the above is "precisely why" you never understood the hype and excitement - note, all of the above had nothing to do with Sean Murray/Hello Games making pie-in-the-sky promises, which is what the other poster's point was. In this case "all of the above" was simply abject bullshit by someone who didn't actually know how much was already explained and then afterwards went with the "I understand it, but what about the average Joe!?" argument and then afterwards went to hang his hook onto someone making a completely different argument about Sean Murray/Hello Games making too many pie-in-the-sky promises like Peter Molyneux.

NEXT TIME IN -PXG- CHRONICLES

Shengar

Because it's a convenient way to scapegoat a developer without actually having to think for yourself.

The people saying NMS is being Peter Molyneux'd are hilarious and have literally no perspective.

First they say the game have no clear purpose, then they say the game have too many gameplay feature to be true AKA Peter Molyneux bullshit.
If they don't get the hype and don't care about it in the first, do they really need to shit on those people who do?I don't post "I can't get the hype" in Zelda or Halo thread because I aren't my priority in the first and have no intention to ruin the hype. Heck, even games with lot of negativity like The Crew I never question other people reasons for hyping it.

I REALLY have to quote myself. Okay, HERE

Jesus fucking Christ.

We're not mind readers, we can only go by what you actually write and not what you're thinking. The post you quoted and bolded doesn't even remotely resemble the argument you were agreeing with so i'm not sure what that was supposed to prove.

So I gather resources from planets, use them to buy anti acid shield, go to acid planet, find a ship part there that in turn allows me to reach the center. Something like that?

To oversimplify, upgrades to your ship can help you go from A to B faster, or allow you to travel farther as fuel is a very valuable resource. You can get the money to buy these things from either exploring, trading, or combat.

Another NMS thread, another group of people either ignorance trolling or are just to plain stupid to grasp that not every game is a scripted, linear cutscene-fest and some of us actually want a game that has a degree of freedom. Not to mention that most of the key gameplay features have been posted over and over and over and over again.

SPOCK-KIRK_zps42ce7252.jpg

Another good day to be an Explorer spock... what was our mission again?

spock_2267_zpsb7c3535e.jpg

To explore Strange new worlds sir.

capt-kirk_yellowCU-001_1196284873_zps4e834675.jpg

Worlds? But aren't they all the same, just round and different colours and shit?

Yes sir, logic dictates that most planet are indeed 'round' and have different 'shit on them'.

capt-kirk_yellowCU-001_1196284873_zps4e834675.jpg

But, spock you know the lack of clearly defined linear progress marked off by check points and achievements scares me.

That's OK, sir, I will hold you.

star_trek_tos_kirk_phaser_zps67ca1e43.jpg

Nope, too scary let's go back and play CoD.

This post is a riot.

Also, this guy is pleased with the premise:

56995.jpg

Alebrije

At this point I know what this game is about , its not about Halo or COD or even Mass Effect.....And I am fine with it...

sappyday

Jesus Christ this thread hurts. Ami has said basically anything I've wanted to say but it's just fucking strange.

its a exploration game. Really that's the core of it. You get that in the trailer and that's the thing HelloGames is going with. They've added all this other stuff to make things interesting and you even get glimpses of it in the trailer. I truly believe since the trailer doesn't have a voice over, a waypoint, or even some cutscenes that people are confused. Especially since it's something we don't see much of.

domlolz

Banned
Fuck Crash. Fuck Jak and Daxter. Fuck those attitude games. Naughty Dog was wise to move away from that completely and leave it to others to continue on the natural path of awfulness. If Naughty Dog continued down that path, they'd become as irrelevant as the Sonic Team. With Uncharted and further, they've finally elevated the videogame medium to be something respected. The general public looks at Uncharted/TLOU and they get it. Real human characters and emotions. Plotlines and character arcs that they can get invested in. Some people just watch others play the game because it's just such a satisfying experience when you don't have to contend with the game-y parts, fiddling with some dainty controller that ruins the immersion. Even Hollywood has come a knocking. Uncharted is one of the most influential franchises ever. Did Crash or Jak and Daxter influence any other developers? Fuck no.

Good riddance.

Lmao

what a terrible post

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ this thread hurts. Ami has said basically anything I've wanted to say but it's just fucking strange.

its a exploration game. Really that's the core of it. You get that in the trailer and that's the thing HelloGames is going with. They've added all this other stuff to make things interesting and you even get glimpses of it in the trailer. I truly believe since the trailer doesn't have a voice over, a waypoint, or even some cutscenes that people are confused. Especially since it's something we don't see much of.

BUT THIS GAME DOESN'T APPEAL TO ME SO WHY ARE THEY EVEN MAKING IT?

MouldyK

Question 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcoO7bTV48&feature=youtu.be

In this trailer, the guy just warps to an UNDISCOVERED planet...

...how can he do that or is this just part of demoing the game in the trailer?

And what's on the other side of these planets or are they just going to have like 5 key points on the big balls of planets which they are?

I am asking my questions here because I don't know and it's better just to look at one thread for my answers.

Shengar

But it's randomly generated! How the hell do you suppose to have story with that?
Seriously making a fixed planet where story stuff happened isn't that hard

Question 2:

And what's on the other side of these planets or are they just going to have like 5 key points on the big balls of planets which they are?

I am asking my questions here because I don't know and it's better just to look at one thread for my answers.
He didn't warp to an undiscovered planet, he warped to a unexplored solar system. It's possible because of tech that lets them see what's in the entire galaxy, just without details until someone explores and reveals those details.

and that last question is kind of weird, idk how to even answer it other than what's on the other side of the planet is...the other side of the planet?

edit: looks like I may have misunderstood which part of the trailer you mean lol, there was him using a warp drive, and him walking through a portal, not really sure which you mean.
edit 2: nvm, the portal part isn't even in that trailer you posted lol, so you had to have meant the warp

Amir0x

Banned
Question 2:

1. In this trailer, the guy just warps to an UNDISCOVERED planet...

2. And what's on the other side of these planets or are they just going to have like 5 key points on the big balls of planets which they are?

1. That is part of the "portal" gameplay they detailed in the Game Informer article. Basically, some planets have abandoned alien technology like the portal. The portal is a risk for the player... it takes you to a completely random place in the universe (entire unexplored solar systems or planets or whatever). So it can take you to a planet teeming with life and interesting things to see, or it can take you to a barren wasteland. Or very special secrets. It works exactly like you see in the trailer. You see the portal, and then if you decide to walk through it you'll be somewhere completely different. It could potentially be on the entire other side of the universe, putting you further from your quest to get to the center of the universe. Or it could bring you much closer.

2. Most planets are going to be dead husks that are only viable for resource gathering/cargo gathering. 90% is the quoted number for that. The other 10% will have life, alien technology, objectives, etc. As you get closer to the center of the universe, you'll begin to see more related to the narrative.

Alebrije

Question 2:

It would be graet if you can land o any place of a planet gut I guees it will be fixed points like the first Mass Effect, although it seems once you land you can travel to any place yuo want but maybe it is somethint that wont let you travel so much distances like oxigen depleting on your mask , weather , food , etc like in real life.

Top Bottom